DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Default Creative Ruts

So, I've been jamming a lot recently and I've noticed I have a hard time coming up with new fills...I generally use the same fill ideas I've always used, and sometimes the fill doesn't feel like it "fits" with the music. For some reason though I never have this problem when coming up with a groove, and I think that's due to the work I've been doing with Groove Essentials (great book btw). I was wondering if any of you guys have had similar problems with developing new fill ideas and how you might have fixed them.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Creative Ruts

yeah, i have that problem too. i work on it from time to time using the metronome. i set the metronome to play 3 bars of clicks and one empty bar. i play a groove while the clicks are going and i play a fill in the 4th bar where there are no clicks. i make a game out of seeing how long i can go without repeating a fill. it hurts my head, but it's a good creativity workout. it's a timing workout too because i don't have clicks in the 4th bar where i'm playing the fills.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Crazy8s

Both of you..try listening to more music. Try emulating what others are doing and add those things to your toolbox.

Play rudiments on just a hihat. Play rudiments on a ride cymbal. Play rudiments on a tomtom. Play rudiments between hihat and bass drum, between snare and floor tom, between floor tom and china cymbal...etc... Mix it up, but to make sure you have the fill down, play time for one bar then one bar of fill then repeat the two bars exactly the second time around. You will need to remember what you did, and by repeeating the phrase exactl, you will train yourself to memorize parts very quickly.

Listen to some music outside of your normal selection.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
Both of you..try listening to more music. Try emulating what others are doing and add those things to your toolbox.

Play rudiments on just a hihat. Play rudiments on a ride cymbal. Play rudiments on a tomtom. Play rudiments between hihat and bass drum, between snare and floor tom, between floor tom and china cymbal...etc...

Listen to some music outside of your normal selection.
So I guess you're suggesting I learn new songs? That sounds interesting and I've been trying to delve into new drummers recently...I learned Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden and now I'm trying to tackle Schism by Tool, hoping to get some newer ideas. I also like to practice certain licks (quads/bonham triples for example) and I was wondering if these were good ways to kinda branch out...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Learning a new song has nothing to do with being creative. Listening to music and immersing yourself in an ethos is totally different to learning a new song. The real art lies in re-arrangement. Don't be afraid to mess with the piece!

Taking a break also helps. I have played fairly regularly for the last two years, but I haven't played much for pleasure. I have started playing more again and my mindset is totally different. Let yourself develop personally and don't be scared to just let it happen naturally.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Listening to music for sure spawns idea's but dude just go by the book called. "STICK CONTROL" Its by George Lawrence Stone and will cost you about 10 bucks. You don't know enough fills because you don't know enough stickings. Its as simple as that.

Another thing I do is that I will purposly stay away from my so called "signature fills" hence the ones I do really good and make myself do something else. Another words I just won't play the fills I usually play.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Go jam with your bandmates, immerse & experiment. If that fails, get drunk!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Joe is right. Drumming ruts have to do with mental muscle memory triggers. We tend to go into default settings in given musical situations if we are limited by the number of ways we accent and play rudiments

Knowing many/all possible stickings helps expand your ability to react to the music better and change things around, if need be. You have many more ways of saying the same thing musically speaking.

Having said that, getting away from it for a while, and a brew in Andy's company might help too.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Take a minimalist/constructive approach with something like dairyairman's suggestion. On that bar with no click, start with just one or two notes ... keep it minimal, and hang out there for a minute. Rearrange those one or two notes in many combinations, vary the dynamics etc. Then, start adding, if you want to (at this point you might have a whole set of new fills) For me, if I keep it minimal (when thinking of fills), things will start to just pop out - things I would not have thought of.

Or, just don't fill! Sometimes no fill is the best fill :D