DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 05-24-2010, 12:26 AM

Default The problem of a lifetime. Well 18 years.

HI, I'm new to this site and i have a bit of an issue. I have always been right handed and left footed but i brush my teeth with my left hand and as of the last couple of years mash a bass drum with my right foot. The reason i learnt drums right footed was purely down to that for the first year of my playing i played on my dads kit, who plays a normal right handed kit.

Now i have recently found out that apparently i was born left handed aswell (kill me now) but the play school i went to as a child taught me how to write right handed, just like all the other kids. So i have grown up right handed and left footed.

I have owned my own kit for some time now and have had it setup the normal right handed right footed way but finding out about my mysterious leftie ways has sparked me to have a mess about with the setup of my kit. I don't think i could switch to playing left handed, i've tried it, it's too weird, however i think i could switch to playing left footed. So what i have created next to me now is a drum kit with the bass drum on the left, high-hat on the right, ride cymbal also on the right with the toms flowing in the normal right handed manner. This setup allows me to play completely open handed whilst keeping the right hand lead that i'm used to.

Sounds great, well it has it's drawbacks. My hands are fine, as normal but my feet lack the technique they used to leaving them unable to keep up with the beats my hands want to play. Also my right foot is utterly useless at operating a high-hat. I'm also in a band which has recently started gigging, i need to be able to play all the beats and fills in the 30 ish songs we do which this new setup doesn't allow me to do.

So i was hoping that someone out there has any experience swapping hands and feet round and would like to offer their assistance. Thankyou.

Last edited by Elliott; 05-24-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 AM

Default Re: The problem of a lifetime. Well 18 years.

I bet you'd get a kick out of The New Breed method book by Gary Chester.

He has a symmetrical kit and the book has lots of examples that seem to have no regard for drums that are setup in any particular fashion (BD on the left, right, whathaveyou).
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiloa View Post
I bet you'd get a kick out of The New Breed method book by Gary Chester.

He has a symmetrical kit and the book has lots of examples that seem to have no regard for drums that are setup in any particular fashion (BD on the left, right, whathaveyou).
Sounds interesting. I'll have to give that one a look up, i'm really stuck with this problem!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 AM

... of course, you could always invest in a remote hi-hat pedal. Would be interesting to have a double-bass pedal and hi-hats w/ pedals operating them on either side

Each foot would have a bass drum and a hi-hat. :)
Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiloa View Post
... of course, you could always invest in a remote hi-hat pedal. Would be interesting to have a double-bass pedal and hi-hats w/ pedals operating them on either side

Each foot would have a bass drum and a hi-hat. :)
That does sound pretty cool, however i'm stuck with what i have being a student and all!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Sounds interesting. I'll have to give that one a look up, i'm really stuck with this problem!
One man's opinion: learn a right-handed kit. Although it's possible to switch the kit around, and many do, there are plenty of reasons not to do so.

1. Jam nights -- You may at some point in the future go to a jam session at a local bar and want to sit in. Guess which way the kit will be set up. Same with rehearsal spaces.

2. Learning songs -- the vast majority of drummers are right handed, and their vocabularies suit themselves to a right-handed setup, so it makes most song-learning a bit easier.

3. Lefties on right-handed kits: Ringo Starr, Simon Phillips, Carter Beauford,

4. Taking lessons - Guess which way your future teacher has the kit set up.

5. The year you spent right footed will be well spent.

6. Your gift of left hand coordination may very well help you to play traditional grip, which frustrates plenty of right-handed drummers!

7. Save money by not having to buy remote pedals and all that crap.

8. You'll look cooler onstage without that weirdo setup. It's show biz after all! :)

Hope this helps!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
One man's opinion: learn a right-handed kit. Although it's possible to switch the kit around, and many do, there are plenty of reasons not to do so.

1. Jam nights -- You may at some point in the future go to a jam session at a local bar and want to sit in. Guess which way the kit will be set up. Same with rehearsal spaces.

2. Learning songs -- the vast majority of drummers are right handed, and their vocabularies suit themselves to a right-handed setup, so it makes most song-learning a bit easier.

4. Taking lessons - Guess which way your future teacher has the kit set up.

5. The year you spent right footed will be well spent.

6. Your gift of left hand coordination may very well help you to play traditional grip, which frustrates plenty of right-handed drummers!

7. Save money by not having to buy remote pedals and all that crap.

8. You'll look cooler onstage without that weirdo setup. It's show biz after all! :)

Hope this helps!
It does have its advantages playing a right handed kit, the two and a half years playing that way being a big one! But what i'm trying to achieve is to make a setup to enhance my natural playing style which should hopefully improve my drumming in the future. But i'm not sure if just sticking with what i know is better.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:29 AM
DSCRAPRE

I'd just leave it, it's probably better to build on what you've already established than to start over from scratch.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:32 AM

I'm a lefty that plays a right handed kit. I pretty much do everything else with the left hand as dominant, with the exception of musical instruments. It just seems natural to me now. The first year I played I tried left hand/foot leads but out of necessity (& all the reasons listed by previous posts below) I play right handed. J

ust find what feels comfortable for you then assign specific roles for each limb.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Good point, Brent.

Elliott, as they say, if life deals you a lemon, make lemonade. Your left hand will always be more naturally coordinated than most righties, and that gives you a good chance of having a unique voice on the kit.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Cheers for the advice guys and i think your right, it would be wasteful for me to switch now, it would be like learning drums all over again which would frustrate me. As Pollyanna said, the position i'm in could lead me on to have a unique voice on the kit, so i'll just carry on, on the right handed kit. Oh one last thing, does anyone know how i can change my avatar? The question mark sucks!