DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Default Weekend Warriors? The older drummer thread...

The older drummer thread and a recent audition hit a nerve and started the wheels turning. After many years of inactivity, I went to the audition and bombed pretty badly. I hadn't played with a group in years. The timing just wasn't there. I need to find some folks to jam with just to get timing and chops back up.

There used to be a program sponsored by MARS music called "Weekend Warriors" where hobbyists or folks trying to get back into music get together and form a temporary band, have some fun, re-build chops, and hopefully make some new friends. MARs has long since gone out of business, but on the web, there appear to be some stores that still offer this program. Unfortunately, none are anywhere near me.

Have any of you older drummers just getting back into it gotten into any kind of program like this? How do you find guys willing to jam with us older guys? I've been considering an ad on Craigslist, but that seems a little shaky. Any other ideas?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Weekend Warriors? The older drummer thread...

I would imagine craigslist wouldn't hurt. If you don't see an ad for what you want try putting out your own. Who knows, there may be other guys other there just like you but they haven't been motivated to do anyhting. An ad by you may spur them on.

Drums are like bike riding, you never forget. But one needs to stay active in drumming or the timing and fluidness gets very rusty. I find that instead of things flowing like they used to I start thinking too much and become mechanical and hesitant. No surprise there. If you stop doing anything for a while rust is sure to settle in. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:34 PM
jamndrummer

Chollyred

I recommend you do a search on open jam sessions in your local area. That will give you plenty of experience to build your chops up. You might also form your own band there with people attending the jam themselves.

Good luck,
Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
Drums are like bike riding, you never forget. But one needs to stay active in drumming or the timing and fluidness gets very rusty. I find that instead of things flowing like they used to I start thinking too much and become mechanical and hesitant. No surprise there. If you stop doing anything for a while rust is sure to settle in. Good luck!
Boy! You ain't just a-woofin'!!!

Paralysis through analysis...

My thoughts about Craigslist over open jams is that at least in the ad, you can set the right expectations. In an open jam, you're at the mercy of whoever shows up. You can either find yourself holding others back, or be held back. Plus, with Craigslist, you're able to set other schedules than that of a specific venue.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
jamndrummer

I wouldnt call it holding people back in regards to a jam session. The ideal situation for any musician is to play with people much better than they are. Thats what stretches you and helps make you a better player. Check out the jam sessions before actually playing in them. You will see what caliber of players show up. They usually dont sway to much from each jam session. Nice thing is those sessions are usually setup per genre, so you can build each skill level up by each session rather than playing everything and anything at one setting. Which btw isnt bad, but for what you need to do, I think staying locked into one style each setting will bring you up to speed faster.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Weekend Warriors...What ya gonna do on Monday? :P
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Just to ask the question, would any of your former band mates be willing and able jam? That doesn't mean the full band, they made be scattered all over the country for all I know. There could be some 'muscle memory' that helps you and the old guitarist or keyboard player sync' up a little faster. Doesn't mean you're asking them to join a band, just to jam. You'd be playing some stuff you once knew with someone else who knows the same material. Just a thought.

(and if you're old enough like me, it could be a way to impress and/or annoy your kids if they've heard about, but never heard you play)

Last summer I was approached by a guitarist I played with decades ago. He wanted to "get the band back together!!!" Not really, but he was interested in how many of the guys might be interested in getting together, recording some of our old stuff, maybe play out once or twice a year (We're too far separated to do much more than that). Everyone was interested and has participated. I've played with a couple of the guys more recently, but collectively its been 30 years!! It was amazing how quickly we started to remember the stuff we did together.

E-drums:
Roland TDW-20
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Man! I'm over 50 years old. I don't even know where most of these guys live anymore. None of us live in the old neighborhood. Most aren't even in the state. A couple are even dead. A couple went on to national careers and live elsewhere. If I were to find one, I'd jump at the chance to play.

I'll be starting over like a high school kid, only looking for other geezers (or near-geezers) like me. I may post a notice at a couple of music stores in the area just to see if I get any bites that way.

I'd love to attend a few open jams, but they're usually a long way off (I live in the sticks outside of Atlanta), during the middle of the week, and fairly late at night. Kinda hard to get out during the week and still work for a livin'.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 AM

I don't know how open jams work elsewhere but here in New York I used to go to blues jams and always had fun. After a while I started seing most of the same people but of course new faces would crop up. Being that it was a blues jam it was pretty straightforward. Even if you haven't played drums in a while you should still be able to handle a shuffle and the various blues tunes.

There would be a variety of skills, some guys/gals were real good and others just so-so. I got to play with a bunch of different people and I don't have to tell you the joy of not having to lug drums around, just sticks. Hallelujah!! Definitely check it out once or twice before you join in just to get a feel for how it goes. And of course pay attention to the singer because he/she usually gives cues for any stops, changes, etc. It's fun man, go for it!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 AM

Hang in there, Cholly. I know how you feel. I'm 71 and just returning to the drums after a 50-year layoff. Right now, I wouldn't go out in public. I'm trying to get back to where I was 50 years ago and it's tough. I'm hoping that someday I'll get good enough to jam with some old jazz geezers. Keep tryin'.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
jamndrummer

Quote:
Old Doc Yak Re: Weekend Warriors? The older drummer thread...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hang in there, Cholly. I know how you feel. I'm 71 and just returning to the drums after a 50-year layoff. Right now, I wouldn't go out in public. I'm trying to get back to where I was 50 years ago and it's tough. I'm hoping that someday I'll get good enough to jam with some old jazz geezers. Keep tryin'.
Are you serious? 71 and your going back to drumming? THAT IS TOTALLY AWESOME! Nobody should talk about starting to late or starting late again....I think if drumming is in you its in you no matter how young or older you are.....

Just get out there and shed drummers!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

...Cholly.

I doubt that I would be much help as it was my Wife who found me my present gig. It was an off hand comment about a small rural jam between my Wife and one of her co workers that lead to me playing the drums with them at a small rural once a month "Open Stage for the Middle Aged" jam session. This lead to me playing the drums with a bunch of grey ponytailed outlaws and farmers in what has become a very rewarding and incredibly fun country/gospell/folk/pop/y'allternative gig.

A couple of years ago, I signed up for a weekend warrior program run by a local music store in the hopes that it would lead to a regular thing with some like minded guys and gals. It did not go as I had hoped. We could not connect on a musical or personall level, so once it was done, it was done. I had also answerd an add in a local entertainment/arts weekly that likewise fell flat. These things can be so hit and miss, as the music might be there, but you may find yourself playing with people that you would rather not have know where you live.

My problem, being the crusty old fart that I am quickly eveolving into is that I want who I play with to be friends first, bandmates second. I am very fortunate that I have found that mix, but it took me over four years to do so.

As a side note, I have had a few people strike up a conversation with me while wearing a Sabian hat, or some other drum wear. Maybe a little human billboard self advertisement could help you as well. At any rate, keep on plugging away, and I am looking forward to that post where you tell us all about the great bunch of people that you are making musical magic with.

Good luck and good drumming friend.

Barry
Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 AM

Hey Barry!

I like that idea about wearing advertising to attract a little attention. Maybe a small tasteful window decal on the rear window or something along those lines.

Old Doc Yak! You're the man! I hope you find some of us 50 - 60 year young pups to play.

I'm sure there are a lot of older guys out there just itching for a chance to string 'em back up and have a little fun. The trick is developing a network for us more mature guys. I'd love to see more ideas. Anyone know of a website that caters to older musicians?