DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
nhzoso

Default Band ensemble

OK, I been playing in a band ensemble for a few months at the local music store. It's been pretty good although we do alot of jazzy stuff that while I appreciate the skill required to play it I am just not into no matter how hard I try to like it it's just never gonna happen for me.

The cost of this is usually $200 for a 12 week session and we learn 4 or 5 songs then we play to a crowd at the store or at a downtown public music hall.

While the instructor is not a great drummer he is pretty good (much better than me) but his 1st love is guitar. So when we get together alot of the drum parts he gives me is wrong and I end up just playing simple beats that try to compliment what the others are doing. While this is cool and was fun at the beginning I am starting to get the feeling that the only reason I am there is so he does not have to play the drums and he cannot find anyone else to do it. I told him that while it was fun I did not want to do it a 3rd time as I want to concentrate on a few books I have and maybe try to find some people that are a little more into rock.

He called me 2 days ago and said if I could do it he would lower my price to $80, which is great and I said OK sure. Then I get the song list and it's "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb, "Chameleon" Herbie Hancock" and MR. PC by Coltrane, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I know they are great songs but the only one that interests me in the least is Chameleon and I am not that fond of that one either.

So what do you guys think? I been playing for about 3 years now and have a long way to go, should I continue to play in this and play songs I really do not like or should I just say no thank you and try going another way. I am leaning towards the latter but wanted to know if anyone else has has a similar experience and what you did and would do differently in hindsight.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Band ensemble

If it's not music you love to play, then why should you play it?
If you're not enjoying it, then your playing probably won't be as good.
Furthermore, you're paying them; no hard feelings about leaving right?