DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 AM

Default Frustrated beginner...

It's 11PM and I have to work tomorrow. I just got off my drum kit that I've had for only a few months and I'm frustrated. I've been trying to learn a really basic chorus for an hour straight and my limb independence is just nowhere to be found.

I'm a lefty for the most part, but not always. I write left-handed and throw left-handed. But I play golf and bat right-handed. I naturally tap my right foot to a beat, so I think that's my dominate foot, but I naturally kick a soccer/football ball with my left foot.

I was really hoping I could learn to play open hand on a right handed kit, but it's just not coming naturally to me. Left hand on the hats is fine, it's just my right foot has no idea what to do most of the time. I haven't tried setting up my kit for a lefty...but honestly, I DON'T want to have to play a lefty kit. I would really like to play right handed so I can walk up to a kit anywhere/anytime in the future and just play it. If you've grown up a lefty, you know what I mean.

My issue is I don't know my body's natural tendencies and reflexes because I'm cross-dominate/ambidextrous...or whatever you want to call it.

Should I try various setups and see what feels the best? Or should I just fight through it? How long does an "average person"(beginner) take to get the limb independence figured out and get a "feel" for the beat?

I have no one to compare myself with right now, so I don't know if I'm going through a natural learning curve...or if I'm just really bad.

I'm just trying to get the chorus down and it's kicking my butt.

Last edited by cajun voyage; 02-19-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Frustrated beginner...

Definitely try other set-ups to see what you're comfortable with. However, don't be too upset if you discover that you play better on a fully left-handed kit.

I'm totally left-minded, but I do bat and shoot guns right handed. Other than that, I'm lefty, 24/7. I did deal with wondering about how I was going to sit-in on other people's kits when I was younger, but then I said to myself, this is the best way I play. If I start over just so I could sit-in, I may never have that proficiency I've already gained. So I figured if I ever audition for anybody, just be good enough to take the gig ;)

Of course, if you're so new to the instrument, you might be able to just force yourself to play a right handed kit. After all, when you learn piano, that's how the instrument is. There's no playing it backwards because your left hand is better than your right, eh?

But I met a guitar teacher years ago who told me that students must do what is comfortable. Or else, you're just introducing frustration that could lead you to no longer wanting to play at all. So I always teach this. Screw what society thinks is normal, what is normal for you? If other drummers are ok with it, I only need to swap their hi-hat and snare, and move the floor tom out of the way. I can play their kits fine with just that modification. I don't need to flip the whole thing at all. So there is that.

Do you have a teacher? Maybe you should discuss this with him and have him guide you through different set-ups too.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 AM

I bat & golf left handed... although I'm capable of doing both right-handed, yet with less power & drive. I write and throw right handed. I say your ambidexterity is a plus.

I think the very best approach to drumming independence is a focused practice. Time spent with bad technique, IMO, stunts the development time. 15 minutes of good technique is better served than an hour of muscle use if that makes sense?

The best advice I could ever offer is this... don't let words affect you and don't chase what other people can play. Be the best version of you. Before you know it, you'll be seeing improvements and setbacks, but it'll be an awesome journey.

Stay positive!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Practice methods are way more important than handedness.

Who assigned you this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun voyage View Post
I'm just trying to get the chorus down and it's kicking my butt.
Of course it is! There's a lot of coordination in that part of the song. It might be over your head, for the moment. Most students struggle for a couple months with coordinating the right foot against a repeating pattern in the hands (usually right hand plays 8ths, and left hand plays 2 and 4 on the snare). The foot must learn to play notes that fall together with the 8th notes in the right hand, and then the foot can learn to play notes in between the 8th notes (i.e. on the e's and a's). In this chorus part of the song, the hi-hat doesn't play a very consistent pattern, which adds to the complexity. Also, those groups of 4 and 5 bass drum 16th notes are challenging.

Don't get me wrong -- you can totally learn to play this, any way you want. But you're looking at weeks, and you'll need to work on other coordination stuff at the same time, to build up your facility. You can't just play only this song, over and over, and expect to get it. You need to practice coordinating your limbs in general, through other beats and exercises, and for that, you'll need a teacher.

Which limb you choose, is not nearly as important as how you practice. Assuming you practice regularly, it's your methods that are important. I know a few left handed drummers playing righty, and one right-handed drummer playing lefty. Handedness can be overcome, but your practice methods must be good.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 PM

I'm primarily a lefty, except anything I swing or shoot I do right handed. I play drums set up for a righty. I've tried switching to a left-handed setup, but my left foot cannot play bass. Sometimes I have to remind myself to start certain fills with my right hand instead of my left.

Independence comes with time and practice. I understand there are some good books with exercises, but I've never been one to use books that much. try using your right hand on the hats and then add in the bass. Steady 1/8th notes on hats counting 1& 2& 3& 4&, then add in the kick on the & of 3 and 4. It's a simple pattern that helps separate the right hand and foot.

Then a simple rock pattern of kick on 1, the & of 2 and 3 and hats keeping steady 1/8ths.

When you start working on "Chlorine", start with nothing but the bass part, then add in the hats, then snare, etc. Don't try to do it all at once.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM

I've been playing for 3-4 years now with a slot with a teacher at least every other week (and kids/life limiting my practice time). I reckon I could have a shot at that song now but it would take me a few weeks to get any kind of fluency.

I recognise all of the things you say about independence, but I'm a rightie on a rightie kit - think it's more to do with drumming being hard than sidedness!

I'm trying to get my hi-hat foot working alongside everything else and while I've clicked with a few simple-ish grooves, I'm a very long way from 4-limb independence. Generally, I find I can do 3-way with any combination (no giggles please), but put in the 4th limb and something unpredictable falls off...

I'd suggest you start with bedding in some really simple grooves until you can sing along to it without missing a beat - I spent some happy hours smashing and shouting along to Billy Jean. Once your hands/feet know what they're doing without you having to pay any attention you could step up the complexity.

A few years in I'm a happily frustrated beginner ... others here have decades more experience than me, so only for what it's worth...

Good luck!!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:46 PM

You haven't even figured out what's the most comfortable way to set up/play your kit but you're beating yourself up because you can't nail that chart?
Cut yourself some slack my friend!! :)
Being ambidextrous is a massive bonus, practice basic beats to determine which is the most comfortable way to play FOR YOU. Yes being able to 'sit in' may,MAY be an advantage to you depending on your situation but don't let that be the overriding factor. Once you have your set up sorted, THEN you can isolate the limb that's causing you problems and work on fixing it. Slow tempo's building up and repetition of correct technique is the key to this.
Stay upbeat (pun) and determined, and time will get you where you want to be!
Old 02-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Iím a full lefty (do pretty much everything with my left hand/foot), and Iíve always played righty on righty setups. I see no reason to change setup at all. Stick with the standard, itís way less of a pain in the long run.

I wouldnít let yourself get frustrated. Just slow the difficult parts way, way down. Some licks will come easy as breathing to you, some wonít. Thatís OK. Itís the licks that are unaccountably hard for you that are making you grow as a player.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Just a thought, but rather than try to learn to drum while reading a chart, maybe you'd be better off just learning to play by playing freely with a recording, and keeping things simple with some songs that are very straight forward. Something like "Back In Black" by AC/DC.

Drumming, at least for me, has always been about building upon my current base of knowledge and ability. I've always been able to play basic grooves and fills, landing on the "1", but it wasn't until a friend needed a drummer for the praise band for his new church plant that I got into "drumming," and it was a trial by fire - I borrowed some gear from a friend, and dove in head first. I had two weeks to prep 5 tunes, but I got the job done. I was only supposed to be the sub until they could find a "real" drummer, but 3 weeks into it, I was really digging it, so I asked if they'd mind if I continued on as the regular guy. They had no issue with it, so I took the plunge, and I continue on with it. That was back in 2003.

In any case, there were definitely a lot of hiccups along the way, and it's still a journey - I'm still learning and trying to improve, but unlike my endeavors with the trumpet, (I'm a pro-level trumpet player and former active duty military bandsman) I don't read drum charts - I can, but I choose to play by feel rather than by the page.

Anyway, keep us posted. You'll get there eventually.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:12 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

How is this song called (I know, it seems "Chlorine", just in case) and from whom?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 PM

I do everything lefty and I just play for myself so worrying about sitting in on another kit is not relevant for me. If I tried to play righty then it would just frustrate me and I'd never want to play. Try different setups and see what works best for you.

Also, you need to try a simpler song. That song looks a bit difficult if you consider yourself a beginner. I would start with simple 8th note beats with the snare on 2 and 4, no ghost notes or 16th note bass drum hits.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

I am very left handed and very right footed, so I play open handed. When I tried to play full lefty, I could not play the bass drum with my left foot. Just keep playing; it will come to you. Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
How is this song called (I know, it seems "Chlorine", just in case) and from whom?
It's by the band '21 pilots'. Drummers name is Josh Dun.
Current fave of my 12 yr old daughter......
Old 02-19-2019, 05:58 PM

Hi! You must be a musician, because you're reading charts. You mention that you're a beginner. This is a very busy chart to read. When I run across something like this, I always think that someone has transcribed this note by note. You would need to be fairly accomplished to do a good job on this piece.
I play in a couple of big bands, and I'm working from charts on a regular basis. I don't see very many charts as busy as this.
If I needed to play this chart, I would break it down, line by line. Try working on 4 bars at a time. Start very slowly. When you get the first 4 bars down, then move on. If you're a beginner, or new to a drum kit, you may not have the skills to handle this. Good Luck.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:25 PM

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I guess I bit off more than I can chew at this point. I was just wanting to play along with a song that I like and what I thought was a not-too complicated piece, but I guess I was wrong. I'll stick with with the more basic fundamentals and rudiments for now and maybe give this a try again a little later. In music, as many other things, the pros make it sound/look much easier than it really is. Ha.

Thanks again for the support.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I guess I bit off more than I can chew at this point. I was just wanting to play along with a song that I like and what I thought was a not-too complicated piece, but I guess I was wrong. I'll stick with with the more basic fundamentals and rudiments for now and maybe give this a try again a little later. In music, as many other things, the pros make it sound/look much easier than it really is. Ha.

The song is loaded with ghost notes and hi hat trickery. Scale it back and just play the basic groove for now. You will still be learning to keep time. The rest can be added later as you improve.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 PM

yeah, just play the bottom of page 3.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Just one observation... that chart makes the drum part look more linear than it actually sounds to me.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
The song is loaded with ghost notes and hi hat trickery. Scale it back and just play the basic groove for now. You will still be learning to keep time. The rest can be added later as you improve.
I agree with this. I've done this a lot over the years in playing out of my comfort zone in various efforts (thank the lord)- keeping the basic groove supports a band too. I'd add all the cool stuff if executed poorly is distracting so keeping it simple generally is the way to go till confident to pull off the other. I can say this with confidence since I execute poorly LOL. Now in practice I do experiment or try songs beyond my skill level and record myself-trying to push myself adding stuff if I can (I post that crap on here too-I have no shame lol). If you aren't getting frustrated then you aren't really trying-so if you feel so it's a good sign and you're in good company. So take the frustration and run with it to motivate you to keep at it-like a video game-you keep attempting some feat till you finally get it.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Check your PM's Cajun...
Old 02-20-2019, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
In music, as many other things, the pros make it sound/look much easier than it really is.
A good musician makes it look easy. But it ain't easy.

I think that is a pretty complicated music score.

You might try writing your own exercises to learn a particular rhythm.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 AM

I was going to go into a diatribe about how the body's coordination is split right down the longitudinal axis, but after some thought, that may not apply to someone that is ambidextrious. But the real question I think is, even if you are ambi, can you develop a particular side over the other and so it becomes dominant.

I myself am one of the 80% out there that are right handed and play right handed, right hand on hihat, right foot on bass drum. There was a time that I wanted to develop my left hand, so I would practice stuff using my left hand on the hihat and on a ride to my left. I'm 52 yo, so maybe that had an effect on the left side of my back and ribcage feeling strained from that. I certainly feel more comfortable with my right hand on the hihat, not as much for the coordination, but because of my dominant side is putting energy into the bass drum, turning my body toward the hihat on my left. Maybe that's 40 yrs of playing too. Certainly it helps that the dominant side of most - if not all - players is the side that plays the down stickings or beats (quarter notes, eighths). I would also venture to say that most choose the dominant-led sextuplet (played at speed) than the non-dominant.

Rhumbagirl
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

As a beginner, it's difficult to know what is easy to play, and what is not. Usually a piece can be made simpler, so that a beginner can learn it, but having a transcription like that -- makes it seem as if that's the only way to play that song. And it isn't. Heck, that transcription is probably full of errors and omissions.

Maybe try "My Blood". I have a beginner student working on that song.

Quote:
I play in a couple of big bands, and I'm working from charts on a regular basis. I don't see very many charts as busy as this.
A chart is very different from a transcription. Big band drummers read charts (the whole band reads charts, too), which, most of the time, won't contain specific beats or fills. It will just say what style of beat to play, when to play fills, and when to accentuate other parts of the music. As the drummer, you have some freedom in how you play a chart.

A transcription will have every beat and fill precisely notated, and you're expected to play it verbatim. It's difficult to read a transcription at first, because it's crowded with lots of notes on the page. Transcriptions for drums are notoriously bad, even the ones published in books; they will usually have errors.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Hey, brentcn. You said it better than I did. I approach transcriptions in a different fashion than I do for charts. Quite a bit of my big band time is sight reading new charts. I consider them more of a road map, telling me when I need to do a set up, or a fill.
Transcriptions are done on a note by note basis. I spend time just listening to the piece, while I check out the written music. It's a different approach. I'd rather read charts and play with other musicians than spend a lot of time trying to work a transcription.

Last edited by crash; 02-20-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Definitely try other set-ups to see what you're comfortable with. However, don't be too upset if you discover that you play better on a fully left-handed kit.

I'm totally left-minded, but I do bat and shoot guns right handed. Other than that, I'm lefty, 24/7.
What eye do you put your camera viewfinder on?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:26 PM
Administrator - Mayor

The Zildjian Artist page shows 6 artists that are Zbt musicians to include Mangini. You better get ahold of them soon.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post

I'm totally left-minded, but I do bat and shoot guns right handed. Other than that, I'm lefty, 24/7. I did deal with wondering about how I was going to sit-in on other people's kits when I was younger, but then I said to myself, this is the best way I play. If I start over just so I could sit-in, I may never have that proficiency I've already gained. So I figured if I ever audition for anybody, just be good enough to take the gig ;)

Of course, if you're so new to the instrument, you might be able to just force yourself to play a right handed kit. After all, when you learn piano, that's how the instrument is. There's no playing it backwards because your left hand is better than your right, eh?

But I met a guitar teacher years ago who told me that students must do what is comfortable. Or else, you're just introducing frustration that could lead you to no longer wanting to play at all. So I always teach this. Screw what society thinks is normal, what is normal for you? If other drummers are ok with it, I only need to swap their hi-hat and snare, and move the floor tom out of the way. I can play their kits fine with just that modification. I don't need to flip the whole thing at all. So there is that.

Do you have a teacher? Maybe you should discuss this with him and have him guide you through different set-ups too.
I just realized that you play lefty. LOL
Old 02-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

If youíre gonna start from scratch and want to read, start with Tommy Igoeís Groove Essentials 1.0. Make sure you get the pack that has the CD, DVD and sheet music.

It starts with very basic grooves, in both slow & fast tempos, and gets progressively more advanced. Itís a fantastic tool for learning & improving. The CD provides backing tracks to play along to, and the DVD has clips of Igoe performing each groove. He also talks about potential mistakes and what to listen for while you play.

Once youíre comfortable with all the rhythms in 1.0, the 2.0 package has more complex rhythms you can get into.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

keep at it. the learning curve of drums and independence takes a long time. The good thing is once you get it, it sticks around and transfers to other exercises and parts.

after 20 years, sometimes I'll be playing an odd pattern, and decide to add in my left foot. TRAIN WRECK. I iron it out by repetition, while moving it around and making it muscle memory. Move on.

Don't be frustrated though. After you break past it a few times use it as motivation. When there is something I can't play I KNOW physicaly I can do it, so it motivates me to make it feel natural and groove.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

You've underestimated the difficulty of it as others have said.

As a beginner, there are building blocks of co-ordination you should work through bit by bit before you can expect to play the more linear pattern in that song.

When I was starting off with a teacher, I followed a grade/examination system. The order of the co-ordination exercises was something like straight eight note patterns, then quarter notes, two handed sixteenth notes, then off beat eight notes, the same but with open hi-hat on the offbeat eight notes, sixteenth note patterns with open hi hats on the off beats etc, etc. There was a group of bass drum patterns that you had to be able to play across all these exercises.

You should build the above fundamentals before you attempt a song like that.

Getting Gary Chaffee's Time Functioning Patterns book and practicing the fatback exercises from it would be a good idea as it's more or less the same idea as the type of exercises I listed above.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:18 PM

I started playing drums in November. Looking at this piece of music, I think I could nail the last bit on the third page...but the rest would completely destroy me.

I've found studying the 4-Way Coordination book extremely helpful for developing limb independence, playing simple rock grooves helpful for developing the feel of music and gaining confidence on the kit, and practicing rudiments (ugh) helpful for developing strength in my non-dominant hand. Each week, I can feel small improvements, as my body slowly but surely learns to do what I tell it to, and I turn the metronome just a bit faster than the previous week.

So don't worry - it's not you. If drums were that easy, everyone would play! I bet you can make your own groove that sounds good with the music with the skills you have now - and in another six months or a year, you'll totally nail the piece as written!