DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default If you had a drum tech, would it change your set-up?

How nice it must be to have a drum tech! My wife is the closest thing I'll ever have to having a tech (she can set up my drums with about 95% accuracy to where I want everything and to where I can reach it comfortably. She's really awesome!).

As for me, here's my current set-up I travel with:

Even on smaller gigs, I get rid of the rack tom and crash, and just play kick, snare, floor tom, hats, and one cymbal (a crash ride), like this:

Here's my setup at church that doesn't move. If I had a tech, I'm pretty sure my touring set-up would look more like this. I would add another rack tom off to my left (just like you see here) with a crash cymbal above it (I'd ditch the splash), and I would add the crash above my floor tom the way it is here as well. I think this would suffice.

Anyways, if you actually had a drum tech whose job it was to set up and tear down every time you played, would you change your set-up at all? Would you go full-Bozzio at your gigs? Would you trim down? Buy heavier gear? More cymbals? Toms? What say you?
Old 06-26-2018, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: If you had a drum tech, would it change your set-up?

Your poor wife! I would change nothing, just wouldn't be carrying them.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:28 PM

cool thread idea ... two things came to mind while reading it that brought me to my answer of no
... simply because I would not use any additional pieces

in 2001 when I joined a band out of Boston who had just landed a record deal and I had a contract with Spaun drums ... I ordered a 5 piece kit in "Marmalade" ... yeah what was I thinking with that color? ... 10 and 12 up ... 16 down... for years before that I was a 1 up 1 down guy but thought I would change it up and try something new

when we went in to record the record and all the drum tracks were done the engineer and I were going over them one by one to make sure we were happy with everything

he said to me ... "you know you only hit that highest tom one time on this entire record?"

that was the last time that 10 was on the kit

some years later I was playing 1 up 1 down ... as I still do ... but had 2 crash cymbals and a ride ...

while watching back a video from Starland Ballroom where this particular band had opened for the Marshall Tucker band I noticed that I had not hit the right side crash one time ... not once ...

from that day on it was gone

so no ... I would add nothing simply because I would not use it
Old 06-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
cool thread idea ... two things came to mind while reading it that brought me to my answer of no
... simply because I would not use any additional pieces

in 2001 when I joined a band out of Boston who had just landed a record deal and I had a contract with Spaun drums ... I ordered a 5 piece kit in "Marmalade" ... yeah what was I thinking with that color? ... 10 and 12 up ... 16 down... for years before that I was a 1 up 1 down guy but thought I would change it up and try something new

when we went in to record the record and all the drum tracks were done the engineer and I were going over them one by one to make sure we were happy with everything

he said to me ... "you know you only hit that highest tom one time on this entire record?"

that was the last time that 10 was on the kit

some years later I was playing 1 up 1 down ... as I still do ... but had 2 crash cymbals and a ride ...

while watching back a video from Starland Ballroom where this particular band had opened for the Marshall Tucker band I noticed that I had not hit the right side crash one time ... not once ...

from that day on it was gone

so no ... I would add nothing simply because I would not use it
Ain't no shame in a marmalade kit. :)

I think I would add on only because I'm assuming that with a drum tech, we are playing larger venues, and I would actually be able to use real drum sticks (as opposed to rods a lot of the time) and I would be able to "open up" my playing a little more.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:36 PM

If I had a drum tech, I would definitely carry around a few varying snare drums incase of breakage, and to have different tunings for different songs perhaps, and of course, more cymbals.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

I have an acquaintance who's in a tribute band that has a drum tech, he's always looking for them and advertising on fb so he must go through them at a rate of knots. He plays a 5 piece kit and really doesn't need one! The irony is he earns less per gig than I do and I'd never be that vain or make anyone be my drum servant unless I made the big time which is as likely as knitting fog.

I don't get why you'd tech in this situation, you're doing the same miles to the gig, all the donkey work at either end and getting paid a pittance with a few beers thrown in. For big touring bands it's a necessity I get it.

If I ever had a tech my setup would still be the same and revolve around comfort. Mind you most kits on tours are usually set up once and wheeled on and off stage.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:00 PM

Step 1: Get an actual drumkit. (I have a Pearl Compact Traveler).
Old 06-26-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
. Mind you most kits on tours are usually set up once and wheeled on and off stage.
not true

that is actually a pretty rare occurrence
Old 06-26-2018, 04:49 PM

If I were in a setup where it made sense financially and logistically to have a tech, then yes, I would change my set up. Right now I run 2 up 1 down, 2 crashes, 1 ride, hats, and a splash. W/ a tech I'd do 3 up, 2 down, add a china, 1 more crash, and a 2nd snare. I would even entertain bringing out the 2nd kick, but that would be much more for appearances than use (I did my last 2 gigs w/o my double pedal and things were fine).
Old 06-26-2018, 04:58 PM

I'd go back to my 24" bass drum.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

My kit without a drum tech:

My kit with a drum tech:

Old 06-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

No, my set-up is always appropriate for the gig at hand - no more, and no less than required. Having to handle the gear is just the cost of doing business.

Even on tour where someone else handles my gear, I have only the gear I need. This year I added 2 items: a cowbell and bar chimes. Next year, I won't need the cowbell, and will remove it from my set-up.

Bermuda
Old 06-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Administrator - Mayor

My drums are set up in a way that is comfortable for me to play. It would be set up the same way no matter who did it.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:06 PM

Not at all. I use a one-up-one-down (sometimes two-down) with hats, a ride and a crash (sometimes two). I have no desire to add to that set up.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Hell yea 24" kick... and did someone say auxiliary snare?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Nope. I only take what I use on any particular gig. The instrument for me is about serving the music, not my ego.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think I'd care about the quality of gig as much is all. Having to set up and tear down with back issues forces me to be super picky about what I pick up, if at all. Wouldn't whine about playing stuff I don't care for nearly as much either.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Also, I use lightweight hardware because it's easier to carry, but I've knocked over a cymbal stand a couple of times. If I had a tech I'd definitely use stronger stuff

Everyone keeps talking about serving the music over anything else. I don't see how an extra cymbal or 2 would hurt... in fact a couple of more options would probably be better! I don't think anyone here is talking about setting up a rush tribute kit
Old 06-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

I’d love a drum tech. The reason? It would give me someone to talk/geek out about drums with all day when with the band.

Man, I’d love that.

Wouldn’t change my setup also. Tend to use what I need.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Id love a drum tech. The reason? It would give me someone to talk/geek out about drums with all day when with the band.

Man, Id love that.

Wouldnt change my setup also. Tend to use what I need.
How much could you pay me? I need two weeks paid vaca and all Jewish holidays off, and other holidays, all holidays off....pm me
Old 06-26-2018, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
How much could you pay me? I need two weeks paid vaca and all Jewish holidays off, and other holidays, all holidays off....pm me
Ill pay you handsomely in good times.

(Just not the hours of the day when youd be lugging around my drums)
Old 06-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Also, I use lightweight hardware because it's easier to carry, but I've knocked over a cymbal stand a couple of times. If I had a tech I'd definitely use stronger stuff
My thoughts exactly. If I had some burly roadie to carry all my stuff and set it up for me on a little custom rug marked with my name then I'd probably splurge a bit more. I'd probably add another floor tom to my 4 piece set up, go for that Buddy Rich thing and just use it on a solo.

I did just add another thin ride cymbal to my setup recently, It's mostly used as a 2nd crash. I just have one more lightweight stand to carry in my hardware bag and another cymbal that was already in my cymbal bag. Brings my cymbal count up to 3 (excluding the hats). I like having that higher voice for accents.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 06-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Pioneer Member

I had roadies for the last ten years of my gigging days. Prior to that I brought all of my best gear to gigs. I did whatever it took, and that's how I ended up with roadies. Who wants to be in a band with a lazy drummer????
Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

So is being a drum tech like being an apprentice? I was reading that Gene Hoglan was a drum tech who had only air drummed, but the drummer he roadied for had never used double kick and Gene got on and blew him away-I think that's how the story went. So is it a job that the song remains the same or opportunities to drum yourself from the experience? I'm retired maybe I can turn drum tech LOL.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:43 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Id love a drum tech. The reason? It would give me someone to talk/geek out about drums with all day when with the band.

Man, Id love that.

Wouldnt change my setup also. Tend to use what I need.
We should do a roadie service here. Find someone close, and you set mine up and I'll set yours up.

I wouldn't change a thing on my kit, my setup is frozen.

BTW Jon, I just saw your FB message to me from June 1st. I really don't go on it much. Sorry. Oh yea, I didn't reply either. I don't trust FB. But thanks for the nice words man.

And (I'm assuming it's orange marmalade) marmalade acrylic drums would look like a John Bonham Vistalite, right?
Old 06-27-2018, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
So is being a drum tech like being an apprentice? I was reading that Gene Hoglan was a drum tech who had only air drummed, but the drummer he roadied for had never used double kick and Gene got on and blew him away-I think that's how the story went. So is it a job that the song remains the same or opportunities to drum yourself from the experience? I'm retired maybe I can turn drum tech LOL.

Ya - that double kick air drumming can be pretty impressive - ha ha.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:28 AM

My kit wouldn't change if I had a drum tech, and I play a 3 up, 2 down, double kicks, 4 crashes, 3 china, 2 hats, 2 rides, a bell brass snare, and its all on a rack. That's what I take to shows, and it keeps me young .

Quote:
From what I remember, Gene was Dave Lombardo's tech way back in the early days of Slayer. He already played drums, and learned double kick by using his hi hat to train his left leg, double pedals weren't affordable/reliable/good back then. When Dave got his first double bass kit from Tama, Gene was able to fly on it because he had been training his left leg with the hi hat. It's in an interview somewhere on YouTube.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar

Last edited by SYMBOLIC DEATH; 06-27-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
So is being a drum tech like being an apprentice?
Drum techs are responsible for the drummers gear. Set up/ break down. tuning, changing heads, cleaning, making sure everything is working correctly, electronics, monitor feed, and a million other things.

Usually very close by during performances to fix and change out gear.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:32 AM

Mine would stay the same. Sure would be nice to not have to pack it down and hump it home at 2am though!!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

When I do a gig, I play 5 drums, 2 crashes and sometimes china and splash : I think that if I had a drumtech, I would take my extra tom to run 10 12 13 16" and I would always take the big china and the splash.... and cowbell !

Last edited by Tamaefx; 06-28-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
No, my set-up is always appropriate for the gig at hand - no more, and no less than required. Having to handle the gear is just the cost of doing business.

Even on tour where someone else handles my gear, I have only the gear I need. This year I added 2 items: a cowbell and bar chimes. Next year, I won't need the cowbell, and will remove it from my set-up.

Bermuda
To me this is the right way to do things, even on larger tours where you have hired hands to handle the set up. Anything not needed will take resources (although small) away from the entire production. Now if you are the main guy paying for everything and you want washers and dryers as you back drop (Geddy Lee)...have at it.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:56 PM

If I had a drum tech, playing gigs that I play now wouldn't make any sense. There simply isn't room on stage for the band when we set up now, how am I gonna add another person helping? I suppose he could be setting up the stands off stage, or taking the drums out of the cases... but that's about it.

As for the rest of the thought...I would love to have more gear. It just isn't practical. I love having different and unique sounds to play, but there simply isn't room, and/or the times those sounds would be played would be minimum.

(For example, I would love to have a set of chimes, a small set, for some of the slow songs that we play. There just isn't any practical way for me to add it to my configuration currently, not worth it for the few times I would play them. Still, it would be a nice touch...I do still sit and try to concoct a way to squeeze them in there somewhere, heh heh)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 PM

I already bring everything i want/need with me for each gig so i dont think it would change. I also dont like heavy hardware (feels like it gets crowded at the bases), so i dont even think i would upgrade that.

I was actually thinking recently about having a backup snare when we're travelling from home base, since we're carrying around backup amp heads (which we've definitely needed), guitar and now a backup keyboard. I dont ever break heads but like last night i thought my snare sounded like poopoo during sound check and i was lamenting not having another option, though in the end it just needed some snareside head tuning. Again, if i do that it would be regardless of whether or not i have a tech.

It would be nice to have someone else setting it all up though. Even better to have them pack up at the end of the night... or working on tightening the allen screw on the bottom of that hihat stand while im setting up the cymbals. Or be on hand in case i ever one day break a drum head... could happen.

On a related note, our band recently toured as support for a more established band, and their drummer was kind enough to share his endorsement-borrowed kit. In exchange i offered to pseudo-tech for him, to at least make sure that when he sat down after our set that things were where he'd left them, but also helping him setup and breakdown. I'd never done this kind of thing before but it was fun and kind of interesting. I kept a tape measure with me to make sure the cymbal heights were all correct and taped everything out on his rug to keep the placement right. Im always fascinated how other drummers can play with the angles and distances they put things. It wouldve been easier if i could have just used his setup without moving anything but im just not that flexible.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

For the most part, no, for all the reasons given already. I use whatever the music calls for and no more.

I have enough drums for an enormous setup, but I don't use them all, and I'm not super comfortable behind a big kit. I prefer a 5 pc or 4 pc depending on what's going on.

But, if I somehow was in an 80's style metal band where two bass drums and cymbals way up high would be an essential part of the visual set up, I could see adding that to fit the vibe.

Or if I were to ever join another prog type band, maybe I wouldn't have more drums per se, but I might be tempted to add more accessories.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

No. I play what I need. Having lots of stuff around me just in case to me is like the guys who pack a whole suitcase for an overnight trip and bring everything just in case. It's just not how I operate. I'd rather be a little bit flexible and not over-do it with stuff all around me just in case I'd like to use it a few times.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:52 AM
Gold Member

My setup probably wouldn't change. What would change would be the frequency of head changes and tuning as well as general maintenance.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

Bermuda

You forgot to mention you play with 'Weird Al Yankovickski' and the lead guy plays accordion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXocf6693d4

Now if you were on tour with 'Guns N' Roses' for example, you'd probably have a giant gong and a bunch of other stuff you really don't need...
Old 06-29-2018, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

No, not really, but to phrase it a different way....

If I could afford a tech I would also afford more and better gear to choose from.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

Now if you were on tour with 'Guns N' Roses' for example, you'd probably have a giant gong and a bunch of other stuff you really don't need...
Which touches on my reply.

if you join a pre-established band with an established sound or look, you may want, or may even be required to, to have a set up that fits the vibe/look/sound of the band.

There are certainly plenty of examples of name drummers who altered their set up to match the style or request of the band/artist they hired them.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Which touches on my reply.

if you join a pre-established band with an established sound or look, you may want, or may even be required to, to have a set up that fits the vibe/look/sound of the band.
Such a problem to have...

Wonder if GNR would consider a (working of course) washer and dryer set onstage?