DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:26 AM

Default Drum sharing? Never heard of, or seen it.

I have seen the sharing kits topic...on here.

I have never shared drums and have never seen other bands do this either so I am curious if that is relative to the style of music or what. Punk,Metal,and Hardcore bands are mostly what I've played in and with as well as watched and nobody ever shares kits or parts unless it's an emergency such as a broken snare head or someone forgot a throne or something.

Everyone seems to prefer to use their own equipment, even the out of town bands.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Drum sharing? Never heard of, or seen it.

It depends on the drummers, and whether the scheduling of bands really necessitates everyone using one kit.

I'm doing a gig tonight (Thursday) and the drummer playing after me is an acquaintance, and in fact has subbed for me. He has very kindly offered to set up early and let me use his drums, which makes his life easier, and certainly makes mine easier as well. His gear is good, so I have no objections, and he knows I won't pound them too hard with this band and in this venue.

But, this doesn't happen too often. I wouldn't expect another drummer on another gig to be quite so generous if he didn't already know me.

Bermuda
Old 04-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Gold Member

Talking from my own personal experience I think it's just the norm, in most big cities on the gigging 'circuit' in the UK anyway.

I'd say 9.5/10 gigs are done under this format over here, especially in London.

Just has become part of the norm for me so I dont even worry/think about it pre show anymore. Just have to adapt if it's someone elses gear.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

I've had it happen at an all day "festival" type event where there was 15-20 bands playing one after another, it definitely helped make the transition between bands much smoother.
I've also had it happen when a band my band is friends with are playing an out of town show together, the other drummer and I will figure out who's kit we're using and all the logistics a few days before.

It's definitely not a typical thing for me though.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

It depends on how the gig is scheduled. If you are playing a 45 minute set, and then another band is coming right up, often times someone will offer to backline. It might be that punk and hardcore don't require huge setups or soundchecks, so it's easy enough to have everyone use their own.

Besides the breakdown and setup time, many clubs will have a sound guy that has to sound check the drums, which can take 10 minutes on its own.

In jazz, I'm less likely to share the bill with other groups, so it's rare that I play a gig where someone is back-lining. In bigger cities, many jazz clubs will have a decent kit and you jus thave to bring your snare, sticks, and cymbals. I did a European tour last year and that's all I brought, and every place we played had a kit for us.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 PM

How long you been gigging? I'm surprised you haven't run into such a situation yet...keep at it and I can practically guarantee you will.

Everyone prefers to use their own stuff, but lots of times the clubs have different ideas.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrudd View Post
Everyone prefers to use their own stuff, but lots of times the clubs have different ideas.
The personal gear preference is an important factor - it depends how locked-in one is to their own kit in terms of sizes, tuning, and configuration. I know that Bo as a lefty isn't comfortable on someone else's right-handed set-up.

I'm pretty choosy about my sound and set-up, but when I have the opportunity to use another kit, I have to balance that with how crucial my sound is for that band & that venue. If some time & kit coordination can be saved, I don't mind giving the other guy $20 for his trouble. But it can never be a compromise, I need to know up front if it's going to be a suitable kit for me for that gig.

In the case of my gig tonight, there'll be a nicely-maintained high-end Pearl kit, and I know it will sound right (the band after us also plays blues/rock and I've heard this kit before.) Of course I'll bring my sticks, but also my own snare & pedal, just for my own confidence. :)

Bermuda
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The personal gear preference is an important factor - it depends how locked-in one is to their own kit in terms of sizes, tuning, and configuration. I know that Bo as a lefty isn't comfortable on someone else's right-handed set-up.
As a lefty myself...I totally feel Bo's pain. It's an additional factor I have to consider for gigs where I know there's going to be a shared kit; I always try to let the club soundmen know as far in advance as I can that there's going to be a southpaw in the lineup, screwing everything up.

Quote:
I'm pretty choosy about my sound and set-up, but when I have the opportunity to use another kit, I have to balance that with how crucial my sound is for that band & that venue.
There's another aspect that needs to be considered: potential equipment damage.

I dare say, Bermuda, that the kind of bills you play on probably attract a more professional grade of musician, where they know how to actually strike a cymbal correctly (something I'm still learning), and probably won't do much harm to any kit due to superior technique.

But lower down the totem pole, multi-band bills tend to attract a more, um, troglodytic class of basher. Even when I'm desperate to use my own kit, I have to balance that desire with the knowledge that some knucklehead could strip the screws on my tom mount in a ham-fisted attempt to adjust the kit to his liking. Or lose the wing nut on my stand. Or drop the floor tom on its rim while switching it to the right-handed position. (All of which have happened to various kits of mine over the years.)

For this reason, I admittedly seldom offer up my own kit for a multi-band bill when required. And I think that the guys who do offer to share are a better grade of human than I - but they're also nuts.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
I know that Bo as a lefty isn't comfortable on someone else's right-handed set-up.
True - but when I've been allowed to use other people's stuff and flip stuff over, I've been known to leave basically everything alone, adjust flip the snare, floor tom and hi-hat. I can play the rest just fine. I can even eliminate the floor tom if there's no room to move it to the other side. So I'm grateful when folks let me sit in or ask me to play and I'm always super courteous about it. But if the set-up looks really locked-in and convoluted, I just tell them thank you for the opportunity and decline. I'm not so full of myself that I have to play every chance I get, especially if it's unplanned.

There was one time I subbed in a club band and was told to just use what was there and when I got there there was five toms and a mess of cymbals. As the night wore on I was actually subtracting things until I ended up with one cymbal and a floor tom. It was a cover band, so my first joke to the original drummer was "you needed all of that to play rock n roll?" He appreciated the fact that I put everything back ;)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

In adding to the litany of left handed woes, I echo a lot of what Bo says about jamming. If it's a simple layout, I swap the floor, snare, and hats. If it's a complex set, I usually just pass. Lately I've been bringing a righty double pedal so I can do left foot lead, and just drop the clutch on the hats. Sometimes I even try right foot lead, but I'm not comfortable enough to do it all the time yet.

The only time I've ever done a kit share outside of a jam is for festivals, and I've always had plenty of time to adjust things to my liking.

For my own groups on multi band gigs, I even bring my own mics, everything set on the kit, ready to go. Just need to plug in the XLRs. I find this is much quicker than swapping every mic around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrudd
But lower down the totem pole, multi-band bills tend to attract a more, um, troglodytic class of basher. Even when I'm desperate to use my own kit, I have to balance that desire with the knowledge that some knucklehead could strip the screws on my tom mount in a ham-fisted attempt to adjust the kit to his liking. Or lose the wing nut on my stand. Or drop the floor tom on its rim while switching it to the right-handed position. (All of which have happened to various kits of mine over the years.)

For this reason, I admittedly seldom offer up my own kit for a multi-band bill when required. And I think that the guys who do offer to share are a better grade of human than I - but they're also nuts.
I mostly am out playing heavy original music, which is multi band by nature. I would absolutely never share my kit in that environment. I've simply invested too much in it, and I know I wouldn't be compensated well enough at all. I could bring cheaper stuff, but the sound and presentation of my music actually matter to me, and I'd simply rather not play. If I have to use a provided kit, I don't mind as long as it's actually maintained, sounds good, and tonally fits what I'm playing.

You're certainly spot on with your troglodyte assessment. I wouldn't say it's a rampant problem, but it only takes one guy one set to destroy a kit, and I've seen enough of them out there to not want that gun to my head.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
You're certainly spot on with your troglodyte assessment. I wouldn't say it's a rampant problem, but it only takes one guy one set to destroy a kit, and I've seen enough of them out there to not want that gun to my head.
Good point that needs to be clarified: the VAST amount of drummers I've shared a bill with over several decades have been considerate, respectful guys (and a few gals) who treat any shared kit as if it were their own (sometimes better).

The trogs are out there, but thankfully rare. The problem is you usually never find out who they are until too late...
Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

The only times I've used a shared kit is at outdoor 50's Rock n' Roll festivals, where six bands are playing a set each thoughout the day with 15 minute changeovers.
The kit and amps will be hired in, usually a professional kit but often quite out of tune. The kit would typically be covered in rim mounted microphones which have already been soundchecked and mixed, so its just not viable to bring your own. You can swap your own snare and cymbals if you wish, and tweak the tuning and setup a bit.

The best part is being able to walk away afterwards without a trolley load of gear.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

It's certain common. I've done it many times.

Also in the last 10 years, I've seen it where bands who have a large following in Europe but not as big in the USA will join up and book a tour together, and just bring over one set of drums. This significantly cuts down on expenses, which in turn helps keep ticket prices lower, and thus gain better exposure in the USA market.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

I just got the call today to play a music awards event, and some big band is going to back-line their equipment for us. I was told to bring Snare, Cymbals, sticks, and Bass pedal. (I don't get the pedal thing, I'd just as soon use whatever he has)

The group that I'm playing with is just playing a few songs as a showcase, so it's easier not to bring all of our stuff in. I guess the group providing the back-line trusts that the other musicians are professionals and won't trash their gear...
Old 04-13-2016, 01:29 AM

I don't know your location, but in my area (DC) I am asked to share a kit 90% of the time. It actually gets aggravating. What is the point of picking out shell types, heads, tuning etc. and never playing live on your own kit? Back when I was gigging a lot I switched to a four-piece because I was playing one on every gig. I really can't stand how the drumset is treated as some kind of generic instrument. Imagine if guitarists were constantly forced to use someone else's guitar set-up?
Old 04-13-2016, 01:49 AM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I have seen the sharing kits topic...on here.

I have never shared drums and have never seen other bands do this either so I am curious if that is relative to the style of music or what. Punk,Metal,and Hardcore bands are mostly what I've played in and with as well as watched and nobody ever shares kits or parts unless it's an emergency such as a broken snare head or someone forgot a throne or something.

Everyone seems to prefer to use their own equipment, even the out of town bands.
I feel you man. I cut my teeth in a college town scene where every couple years another band was being signed and going away (it's still that way there). When we played, we were doing "our act" and it wasn't supposed to resemble the next or previous act, in our eyes or the eyes of others. In fact it was quite competitive in that way. I'm older now and not playing for the same stakes, but it's in my blood. It's where I come from.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

The sharing thing might be cultural. When I lived in Australia, everyone always seemed to bring their own gear to every gig, no matter how many bands were on the bill.

Here in Norway, it's extremely rare that I play a gig where we switch out the drum kit between bands, and often even the guitar cabinets will be shared between bands to avoid the time it takes to move stuff on and off the stage.

Generally, either the headliner or the venue will supply the kit, but if the headliner flies in from out of town and can't bring their gear, one of the opening bands might supply one instead.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:30 PM

I've played a couple gigs with my brothers band and been to a lot of his. Down in Cornwall due to the fewer bands, most people that'll be playing the same nights together already know each other. There's even an album called "The Falmouth Sound" that's just a collab of local bands. Due to this, any time at least 2 of the bands know each other one kit is brought and then you bring your own snare and cymbals. Amps are sometimes shared between guitarists if they are playing similar music and there's always a spare guitar or bass around if you break a string mid set. Also the pubs and clubs known for music always have a kit ready just needing a snare and cymbals. I just thought it was common place to share and generally not be an asshole.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 PM

I hate when drummers are to lazy to do the quick setup and tear down. I know it's a pain in the ass but I DON'T enjoy playing on others gear or letting someone else play on mine.

Once I let another drummer use my kit and he spent more time trying to readjust all of my drums then it would have taken to just put his kit up and take mine down. I was pissed because then I had to spend all that time putting them back to where I had them and like them. Never again.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Mercury Drummer View Post
I don't know your location, but in my area (DC) I am asked to share a kit 90% of the time. It actually gets aggravating. What is the point of picking out shell types, heads, tuning etc. and never playing live on your own kit? Back when I was gigging a lot I switched to a four-piece because I was playing one on every gig. I really can't stand how the drumset is treated as some kind of generic instrument. Imagine if guitarists were constantly forced to use someone else's guitar set-up?
Guitarists and bass players are often asked to share amps, so they deal with it as well.

I'm in Boston, but I play in DC quite a bit, and I'll either rent a kit down there or use a back-line kit (belonging to the house or another drummer).

In jazz it's not super common that you are sharing the bill with other groups, so usually I'm the only drummer. If I am playing with others, and they offer to share their kit I usually take them up on it. As long as I have my snare and my cymbals, I'm not really concerned with the rest of the kit (as long as it isn't awful). I prefer my own kit, and I'd use it if I was recording, but most of my sound is the snare and cymbals. Again this might be a jazz thing as we aren't heavy bass drum users... I use it like a 3rd tom, I don't keep a beat with it usually.

I will say that the snare stand thing is annoying. I play trad grip, so I have it tilted away from me, and everyone else seems to tilt it towards them.... that always means all kinds of fiddling around with the stand.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:25 PM

I've played a few gigs, and I've had people lend me everything from sticks (which they know I could break) to moongels, bass drum pedals to snares, and cymbals. While some things may not be to my liking, beggars can't be choosers and I really appreciate the gesture.

I also don't mind letting people I know play my own gear, and have done it on several occasions when busking or even playing in a school gig where at least 8 or 9 other guys are playing.

I guess I find that if people would lend some stuff to a basher like me, I should return the favour :)

Afro
Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

What kind of "Punk Gigs" are you playing?????? Played Punk all of my life, all over the world & it is always Kit share.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 AM

I am in a college town, Gainesville Florida. Many years ago a few of the bands we would play with got signed and maybe it is competitive here, but nobody shares kits.

From what I see in the replies, it is both a geographical and genre specific thing. Here in the land of death metal and giant insects we have a decent amount of metal bands and the more extreme styles definitely take a kit you are used to since so much of that style of drumming is muscle memory. EVERY show I have ever played (only 60-70 I am guessing) I used my own kit. I have also never played anywhere other than this state.

Our solution to minimize changeover time down here seems to be the closing band being set up, and opening bands playing in front of the kit and amps,possibly on the floor in front of the stage. Other than that,everybody just sets up and breaks down and tries not to be too terribly slow about it.

With my current set,I can have the rack put together beforehand, set it on stage, mount the drums, tweak it, and throw the cymbals on in about 5-7 minutes.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

In the UK it tends to stay in the original scene, I hate headlining these kind of gigs and will always tell other bands to bring their own kit. Hence why I do covers now!

I've done a few gigs where the support band has got in touch and asked about using our backline when we've been doing the covers stuff. No is the polite answer, the impolite answer ends in off!

Bands who are use to using other peoples gear (I say using because they don't bring their own to share) get a bit touchy when tell them they have to bring their own kit. Never understood that, if you don't have the gear don't take the booking.

If you know someone and know they will look after your kit that's cool but if you care about your instrument you don't let any shedbuilder near it.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:47 PM

I don't care either way, personally....I'll use others if that's how the gig is arranged, or they can use mine. I will treat others gear better than my own, and my gear isn't so fancy that I'm paranoid about normal wear and tear from others.

I'll gladly bring mine to any gig we're booked for, I won't ask to use others gear, again unless that's how the gig is arranged to begin with.

The only situation where I would not be thrilled to have to bring my gear is when we play local benefits, with 6-7 bands donating their time to raise funds for some charitable cause. I have no issue donating my time for these, and enjoy doing them. But to have to haul gear in for a 50 minute set in a non-paying benefit gig would be a bit much (tho I would still do it, I'm sure). Fortunately all the benefits that we've been involved in have a backline arranged ahead of time, so it hasn't become an issue.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
The sharing thing might be cultural. When I lived in Australia, everyone always seemed to bring their own gear to every gig, no matter how many bands were on the bill.

Here in Norway, it's extremely rare that I play a gig where we switch out the drum kit between bands, and often even the guitar cabinets will be shared between bands to avoid the time it takes to move stuff on and off the stage.

Generally, either the headliner or the venue will supply the kit, but if the headliner flies in from out of town and can't bring their gear, one of the opening bands might supply one instead.
Quoting myself to add a clarification for those unfamiliar with kit sharing:

For drummers, equipment sharing will generally only apply to kick, toms and hardware. The rule is that each drummer brings their own cymbals and any other knick-knacks they need (cowbell, electronics, aux snares, etc). If the gig is reasonably local, you're also usually expected to also bring your own snare, throne and pedals (unless otherwise cleared with the kit owner)