DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:31 PM

Default Drum Logistics 2. Playing out and Drum Gear

Just curious on this one...

A question for you guys in bands who play out...

Drummers usually have the most gear in bands, so how does it work with you? Do your bandmates/friends help you to set up your gear? Do you have "an understanding" amongst yourselves to help with the set up and take-down of equipment so that you can all leave/party together or are you always stuck being the last one off struggling with screws while the rest of the band are at the bar enjoying themselves or at home in bed, lol.

What is the set-up/take-down etiquette?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Logistics 2. Playing out and Drum Gear

I like to get to all rehearsals and gigs early so I can claim my space, and set up with no pressure. I would rather load in and out my gear on my own. I know what order I want it loaded so Its easier to unpack when I get home.

Always best to take responsibility for your own gear, that way any damages are down to you. Just my take.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:47 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Load in, I do just my stuff. Load out I do just my stuff, and occasionally I will help with the PA stuff.

Every member has at the most 3 trips to the car. I don't need help, and we don't use monitors, so the PA is the minimal head/mixer and speakers with stands. And two plank mounted homemade floor PAR lights.

The bass player is supposed to help with the PA because he has the least amount of stuff, but he usually doesn't, and I hear about it from the leader.

Every band has their own code when it comes to loading in/out. I feel it's about equal amount of work for me with my drums and the leader with the PA and his guitar/amp/pedal rig. The bass player has the least. I take the most time getting completely ready to play with all the fine adjustments, tuning check, and all the little details.

I also like to practice stage etiquette. If the stage is small, (it usually is) I will let everyone do their stuff while I set up my stands off stage. Once all the cords are ran and the PA is set up, I move all my stuff on the stage. With the exception of my rug. I like to get that down before anyone does anything.

After were done, I like to get my bass drum off the stage ASAP to let others have room to move. They appreciate that.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I like to get to all rehearsals and gigs early so I can claim my space, and set up with no pressure. I would rather load in and out my gear on my own. I know what order I want it loaded so Its easier to unpack when I get home.

Always best to take responsibility for your own gear, that way any damages are down to you. Just my take.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Load in, I do just my stuff. Load out I do just my stuff, and occasionally I will help with the PA stuff.

Every member has at the most 3 trips to the car. I don't need help, and we don't use monitors, so the PA is the minimal head/mixer and speakers with stands. And two plank mounted homemade floor PAR lights.

The bass player is supposed to help with the PA because he has the least amount of stuff, but he usually doesn't, and I hear about it from the leader.

Every band has their own code when it comes to loading in/out. I feel it's about equal amount of work for me with my drums and the leader with the PA and his amp. The bass player has the least. I take the most time getting completely ready to play with all the fine adjustments, tuning check, and all the little details.

I also like to practice stage etiquette. If the stage is small, (it usually is) I will let everyone do their stuff while I set up my stands off stage. Once all the cords are ran and the PA is set up, I move all my stuff on the stage. With the exception of my rug. I like to get that down before anyone does anything.

After were done, I like to get my bass drum off the stage to let others have room to move. They appreciate that.
Detailed and thorough. Thank you for taking the time, Larry. I didn't even factor in that drummers even bring their own rugs! Is that the norm? I can't say Iīve ever noticed that.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

ALWAYS have a rug, a spare snare, and a spare footpedal.

Extra sticks everywhere, car, hardware case, my wife's car.

Yes the rug is the drummers responsibility. I use the thinnest, unbacked, indoor outdoor carpet I can. Rolled up it is about the size of a loaf of bread. A kingsize loaf lol.

Really great having you here Ajax.

Except your avatar scares the shit out of me. You make yourself look like an assasin lol.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, the rug marks out your space, and mine is marked so my kit goes in exactly the same position every time, no problem. Agreed with spare sticks. I have them in my stick bag, pedal case, hand hardware case and cymbal bag. If I forget my stick bag, no problem.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

It really depends who I'm playing with, but I'll go over my two most common situations.

Playing blues or blues based soul and funk. 4 piece kit. I mostly do all the load in and set up myself. Maybe somebody grabs a bag, but it's not necessary. I prefer that nobody really help me setup, because even if they aren't hindering the process they likely aren't really helping. I like to give myself enough time where I can be leisurely about setup, so the setup time also helps me get in the zone. I have a hard time getting there if I'm hurried or having to deal with a lot of external issues. Load out is basically the same. The other players don't usually have enough to move where they would need a hand, at least not while I would have a free hand to spare.

Playing metal/rock oriented originals. 6 piece kit, 10 cymbals, rack. We all move all of each others gear, both loading in and out. We usually work in teams of two, and there's always somebody watching the gear at either end. If we're in first it's just right to the stage, but usually it's off to the side to begin preliminary setup. If it's right to the stage, everybody helps me set up. My rug is marked, all of my stands are marked. Cymbals are marked as to what goes on what stand, toms marked as to what arms or legs they go on. Somebody takes stuff out of the bags, somebody hands it to me or places it themselves. My band mates could set up my kit without me and I would probably only need to tweak it for two minutes to get it right. Concersely, I can set up any of their rigs if needed.

More often, I get most everything set up to the side while watching the act before us. Then we carry on kick and pedals, hats and snare, floor toms, the two rack wings, then the center rack. I try to provide my own mics to expedite that process as well. Usually I can be set up and sound checked in around 5 minutes from the previous drummer being out. Usually one guy helps me with my stuff while the other two move the bass and guitar rigs into place.

Occasionally somebody can only show up right before the set or needs to leave right after. It's not a big deal because we all know each others gear and trust each other to move it. After the set, we worry first about getting off stage. If we need to pack up right then and load out We will, but usually one of us heads to the merch table while the other guys schmooze the crowd at large. After that we start slowly packing up and getting ready for load out.

Sound guys and stage managers love us because we have our shit together and we're easy to work with.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:04 PM

Sounds like you really do, calan. Like clockwork!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't been in a band for years, and I've been in a lot of bands. I always plan on carrying my own stuff, and I always help with carrying stuff and setting up or tearing down. If I don't get help, I let it slide off me. But in most of the best bands I've noticed that people help each other more. I also notice that the folks who never help carry anything beyond their own gear, tend to play the same way. Just saying.

Two final words: Hand truck.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Hi Ajax, we usually (the band members and I) have an understanding that I unload first and set up first all on my own and start braking down middle too last on my own and load back up myself. I do not help with other load ups or tear downs. This has been working for me the seven years or so. When I was younger and I was doing it for a living I had one of our road crew help me with this issue.

Ajax, after a few gigs you will get the hang of it. Then after a few more the set-ups and tear-downs goes fast after you get a routine down.

Last edited by force3005; 01-18-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:23 AM

I try to get to the venue first and haul my gear in and set it up. Unless the venue is such where I can't use my cart, I like to do it all by myself. I have a system and other people just get in the way and slow me down. If I can't use my cart, I don't mind the other guys helping me carry it all in. When the rest of the band gets there I help carry in the PA and set it up. Our band is pretty good about everyone helping with the PA. After the gig, I start breaking down and packing up my drums. I have been doing this for a long time and more or less have a system to get it all packed up quickly. I usually have all my gear packed up loaded and back in the car while everyone else is still rolling up mic cords. I then help finish tearing down and packing up the PA and help carry it out to the singers vehicle. Sometimes I get a little annoyed that not only do I have to set up and carry my drums, but I also do a lot of work hooking up and tearing down the PA. I have all my gear packed up and then I have to wait around for everyone else to have and drink and then start tearing down.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:59 AM
Platinum Member

Being the drummer is my ticket not to help with the PA and other gear, but I usually end up helping with the lifting once I'm all set.

I can count on 1 hand how many times they've helped me carry gear in/out. Doesn't really bother me because they are my responsibility.

Last edited by Duck Tape; 01-18-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

I actually dont like help with my gear loading in or out. I have a sequence and system. i can set up in about 15 or 20 mins and help others with PA and mics after that. I like to be there first and also get my bass drum and hardware off the stage ASAP after gig.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Most people offer to help, but I don't want anyone helping. Things get in the way and make for extra work.
If you want help, just ask. Only a person who wasn't raised properly wouldn't help.
If we travel together, we bring everything in together.
I set up first. Alone.
bass drum out of case and up on stage, then floor tom out and flipped upside down, the cases go in each other, Russian egg style. Stash cases.
Things go up in this order, Bass, tom, snare, floor, seat, stands.

I know how many cases I brought, so I don't forget. They're also painted, so they don't get loaded out when other people try to help.

I'm fast and done before everyone else has wound their cords.

I don't bring a rug, but I have a rug in the floor of my buggy that I can use.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

We all help move gear. Sometimes I tell people that I'll move things myself, if there is a special way I want things loaded.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I'm one of those guys who doesn't like, or require help. For one, I usually roll into the venue with my own transport cart, and everything is cased up. There is a system and when people help me, it slows the whole process down. So people I play with usually understand my position.

There's also the issue that things don't tend to break when I'm playing them, but whenever someone grabs something and helps me to move it, it will invariably get put down in the way of people traffic and that's when the damage happens. So I would just as well not let that happen.

I did rant about this once, but another big problem when two bands are playing the same stage, is that the incoming band doesn't wait for the exiting band to actually clear the stage. It's totally frustrating especially when there's no room as it is! Set-up and strikes would happen a lot quicker if people just waited for the stage to be clear. But that's another thread, I guess ;)
Old 01-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

By the time I roll up to the gig in my limousine, the roadies have my drums set up and tuned for me.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 PM

I always load my stuff in myself, it all fits on a Rock-n-Roller mini cart. I've torn down and set up my kit so many times it's down to a fine art and anyone trying to help me set up or tear down would likely slow me down. My bandmates do help carry stuff if we're playing a venue where I don't bring the cart (if stairs are involved). Everything is in cases with handles.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

I do double duty I own our P.A. and I'm the drummer what was I thinking?...lol....my bass player and myself do all of the P.A. set up and the rest of the band helps load in & out of the venue. I'll help them out as they do with me if I have time. but after the P.A. is set up I set up my drums & that's it really.I let the guitar players set up their own equipment as i dont like anybody setting up my drums. it's their equipment and they know how they want it set up as do I.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 PM

It's funny...I've only been in about six, maybe seven bands in thirty years of playing (I tend to stay with a group for a long time), and each group sort of settled into its own protocol regarding equipment loading, without anything explicit being established.

Some bands, each guy is on his own. Some, all help with everything. (There was this elder-statesman type punk rocker New Orleans - sort of a Big Easy version of Iggy Pop - and he used to call my band 'The Christian Band' because we used to load and unload each others' gear. I was amazed at how many other bands thought we were peculiar for that.)

And whatever that 'gear protocol' wound up to be, I was fine with it. I never felt insulted if the fellas didn't help me with my gear; I chose drums and knew what came with it. (Though occasionally - especially for second-floor gigs - I wish I'd learned harmonica.)

Me, I don't need no help, and I'm usually done setting up my four-piece kit slightly before the guitarist and bass player have finished tuning. But I'm certainly always on hand if someone needs an assist.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Gig Logistics:

The objective is to make a single trip, and not damage any gear in the process.

1: Get an appropriately sized cart. Devise a system that allows you to put everything on the cart and allows the cart to be put into a van/wagon with everything on it.This means your 5x5 rug will go on the cart first to prevent gear from touching the cart. It also means that you'll need an appropriate length restraining strap(s). Grab a section of 2x8 at the lumber store to use as a ramp so you can load/unload the cart into the van by yourself. Grab a moving blanket to cover your kit in the van. This protects the kit from both scuffs and prying eyes.

2: Strike your own gear first. Then lend a hand with the remaining gear.

3: If you do backup vocals, buy your own SM57. Using a club mic is like drinking from a toilet.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
I'm one of those guys who doesn't like, or require help. For one, I usually roll into the venue with my own transport cart, and everything is cased up. There is a system and when people help me, it slows the whole process down. So people I play with usually understand my position.

There's also the issue that things don't tend to break when I'm playing them, but whenever someone grabs something and helps me to move it, it will invariably get put down in the way of people traffic and that's when the damage happens. So I would just as well not let that happen.

I did rant about this once, but another big problem when two bands are playing the same stage, is that the incoming band doesn't wait for the exiting band to actually clear the stage. It's totally frustrating especially when there's no room as it is! Set-up and strikes would happen a lot quicker if people just waited for the stage to be clear. But that's another thread, I guess ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
I always load my stuff in myself, it all fits on a Rock-n-Roller mini cart. I've torn down and set up my kit so many times it's down to a fine art and anyone trying to help me set up or tear down would likely slow me down. My bandmates do help carry stuff if we're playing a venue where I don't bring the cart (if stairs are involved). Everything is in cases with handles.
What are these carts you speak of? o_O
Old 01-18-2016, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
What are these carts you speak of? o_O
Something like this.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 PM

ah-ha! We call them trolleys or "carretillas" in spanish.

Thatīs smart...to have one of those handy!