DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Duck Tape's Avatar
Duck Tape Duck Tape is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,484
Default Does playing covers change you?

I've been playing in a covers band since June. Gigs are fortnightly on average, good pay considering I'm having fun (not enough to live on though).

Prior to this I avoided pop like the plague, mostly listening to progressive/innovative or obscure things.

So far I've gotten away with fumbling my way through the songs on stage because the guys are forgiving but as I spend more time with the band they're starting to hint that I should learn the songs a bit more intimately.

So I made a YouTube playlist that I listen to at work (desk job) and I've started playing along to the songs on my kit too. I might even start charting in the new year.

I've realized that avoiding pop all these years (on principal) was ignorant when I thought it was pop listeners who were ignorant. Some pop is terrible and some is good, and I've probably missed out on something or alienated myself by avoiding it. I now spend less time on experimental/progressive things and probably more on developing technique, stamina, playing with conviction etc etc (you can guess)

Anyway that's all the background you would care to read, my question is to ppl in similar settings; does this ruin some of us? Does it make us musically boring? Worn out? Or does it just feel strange to be initiated into the world of being a professional time keeper?

It doesn't feel like I'm selling my soul but I am changing somehow. I'm not jaded but I can see the potential.
__________________
Watch a purdie shuffle here!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPmH1wrSiQ

Last edited by Duck Tape; 12-19-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 PM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,175
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

I honestly believe that there is good music in every genre.

Above that, I also believe that sometimes there is good musicianship to be found in songs that are awful.

If you're going to tackle something you may as well do it as well as you possibly can.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Liebe zeit's Avatar
Liebe zeit Liebe zeit is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 714
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

I almost exclusively play 'pop' now. But it's mid-60s Stax, Motown, other soul, so it's all rather cool. And drumming-wise it's stripped down and to the point and I think it's made me a really solid drummer. There's no flash to my drumming but it does the job in spades, IMO like.

Also, I'm just starting to teach my 7 year old and we've started with a classic pop groove - Billie Jean. So simple but 20 years playing that would not necessarily be enough to "get it".

So, I'm a fan of 'pop' drumming. A lot of what I see on this forum is just way too complex/noodly for me, and for any audience I ever see.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
myxtc's Avatar
myxtc myxtc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NJ..where the sun always shines : )
Posts: 89
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Seems to me that your putting wayyy too much thought into playing the drums. Just have fun, play more and worry less about how others may perceive you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2014, 03:43 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,980
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Short answer: I think it changes you for the better.

Any new musical experience has the potential to teach you something. It sure won't hurt you.

I joined a band years ago that played country music. I didn't really want to play that kind of music; in fact, I hated it. But the bandmates were friends of mine and playing any kind of music was better than playing nothing at all, and this was the only opportunity I had with a crazy work schedule at that particular time.

I wanted to play really technical, "out" stuff, and here I'm having to pound nails on 2 and 4, so I was feeling very frustrated. But here's the thing: I realized I kind of sucked at it. My restlessness to make things fit my style of busy playing was screwing up the music. It took me years to finally understand what was really needed, which is the conviction, power and stamina needed to play simple parts that fit the music. And I didn't have enough of those things, so I worked on them.

Long story short, it made me really appreciate what it takes for a drummer to serve those styles. I also gained an appreciation for drummers I had looked down on before for not being "interesting" enough. I thought I understood that stuff, but I realized I didn't.

So from personal experience, I think it is an opportunity to grow. I only wish I could go back with what I know now and really do that gig justice, because a lot of it came to me at the end, when we moved on to other things. And I still have a long way to go, btw.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2014, 04:21 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,258
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Short answer: I think it changes you for the better.

Any new musical experience has the potential to teach you something. It sure won't hurt you.

I joined a band years ago that played country music. I didn't really want to play that kind of music; in fact, I hated it. But the bandmates were friends of mine and playing any kind of music was better than playing nothing at all, and this was the only opportunity I had with a crazy work schedule at that particular time.

I wanted to play really technical, "out" stuff, and here I'm having to pound nails on 2 and 4, so I was feeling very frustrated. But here's the thing: I realized I kind of sucked at it. My restlessness to make things fit my style of busy playing was screwing up the music. It took me years to finally understand what was really needed, which is the conviction, power and stamina needed to play simple parts that fit the music. And I didn't have enough of those things, so I worked on them.

Long story short, it made me really appreciate what it takes for a drummer to serve those styles. I also gained an appreciation for drummers I had looked down on before for not being "interesting" enough. I thought I understood that stuff, but I realized I didn't.

So from personal experience, I think it is an opportunity to grow. I only wish I could go back with what I know now and really do that gig justice, because a lot of it came to me at the end, when we moved on to other things. And I still have a long way to go, btw.
Bravo Lar. Great post. Very honest and I can definitely relate. It's easy to look down on stuff. It kind of sucks too, I do it way too much. Everything requires a certain skill, even pounding nails (great descriptor!) on 2 and 4.

Really great post.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2014, 04:38 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Bravo Lar. Great post. Very honest and I can definitely relate. It's easy to look down on stuff. It kind of sucks too, I do it way too much. Everything requires a certain skill, even pounding nails (great descriptor!) on 2 and 4.

Really great post.
Agreed - both Lar's! ;) I've lost count of the number of players I see who can't "pound 2 & 4" in a musical way. Every new musical experience is worthwhile, especially if it's something outside of your pleasure circle.

My new trio gig has already taught me new things. I don't particularly like what I'm playing, & I'm not especially good at it either. It's difficult to play something with the appropriate feel if you're not feeling it in your heart, but that's the very aspect that makes you grow as a musician, & the main reason I took the gig.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2014, 04:47 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,258
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
It took me years to finally understand what was really needed, which is the conviction, power and stamina needed to play simple parts that fit the music. And I didn't have enough of those things, so I worked on them.
This is my favorite part. It's funny how something so "simple" can take that long to actually understand.

Bottom line, playing simply is a challenge too. It's a challenge to ignore all the opportunities to play technically and focus on simplifying the groove. Simple in concept, but full of nuance. THAT'S where the drummer can get their tech on, playing really tasty nuances that goose the "simple in concept" beat. I'm a big believer in simplicity, in everything in life. So advanced it's simple, remember that ad? In fact you could call me anti complex and it would be accurate.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-19-2014, 05:18 PM
GetAgrippa's Avatar
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

It's the simple and slow stuff that always kills me. I was playing the repetitive snare cadence on Bolero for a civic orchestra. I practiced with a Youtube video that did it at a pretty good clip that I could play with both hands. However with the orchestra they played it slower and when I used two hands I tended to rush it. So I played it with one hand-just pounded out the notes-sounded great, but dang after ten minutes or so you drift off concentration and forget where the heck you are in the repeat. Then too although it's the same repetitive notes the volume and emphasis does slightly shift-so you have to be on cue. Seems too no matter how much I practice and nail it during practice-It's like a mental block that you know you are going to screw it up for a performance. The civic orchestra experience has been a positive one for me-get to play kit too. It really teaches you to listen to the other musicians to fit in volume wise, teaches you patience because at times you are tacit, and if you aren't spot on they won't be either=get the evil eye from the strings and brass section.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2014, 05:46 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,266
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Do you need to chart them? If its a tribute band, I would say yes. Covers, to me anyway, are a different thing. I listen to the song so I know the structure and the lyrics, then I play in the style of the song but not note for note, I like to bring something to the music but draw some inspiration from the original. That sometimes also leads to learning a new groove or a new fill. Every day is school day.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-19-2014, 06:00 PM
BradGunnerSGT's Avatar
BradGunnerSGT BradGunnerSGT is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 695
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Do you need to chart them? If its a tribute band, I would say yes. Covers, to me anyway, are a different thing. I listen to the song so I know the structure and the lyrics, then I play in the style of the song but not note for note, I like to bring something to the music but draw some inspiration from the original. That sometimes also leads to learning a new groove or a new fill. Every day is school day.
I agree. For covers, I usually create a cheat sheet with the song structure and the "signature bits" like the groove, prominent fills, etc. I play the groove and fill as needed with my own interpretation, making sure that the major stops and fills are covered.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-19-2014, 06:00 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,128
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
...does this ruin some of us? Does it make us musically boring? Worn out? Or does it just feel strange to be initiated into the world of being a professional time keeper?
Hopefully, every playing opportunity is a learning and growth experience, whether it means you have to stretch out, or back off and provide the simple beat necessary for most pop songs.

Drumming is drumming. If you enjoy playing drums, then the genre shouldn't change that for you. Granted, you're entitled to musical likes and dislikes, but you can't let them interfere with your playing.

Does Vinnie complain that he gets called for sessions where he just plays 2&4? No, he plays it all because he loves to play. To paraphrase an old actors saying, "I'm a drummer... I drum."

I enjoy playing covers, particularly oldies & classic rock, because I get to play a lot of songs that I grew up with, at a time when I was still learning and not really able to go out and play them in a band. Now, I get to 'be' those drummers, and that's fun for me.

As for drummers in my neck of the woods (Los Angeles) who just can't bring themselves to play covers or pop (or Country or Blues)... God bless 'em! They keep me working!

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Otto Otto is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,586
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Everything you play effects what you play in the future.

Degree of effect?...What it effects?...Timelines?....all subjective to the person/people/situation...of course.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Yes. I was once a mild-mannered reporter.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,980
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Bravo Lar. Great post. Very honest and I can definitely relate. It's easy to look down on stuff. It kind of sucks too, I do it way too much. Everything requires a certain skill, even pounding nails (great descriptor!) on 2 and 4.

Really great post.
Thanks, Larry. It is easy to fall into looking down on stuff, isn't it? I'm guilty of it all the time. It's those moments of cognitive dissonance, when you're confronted with a harsh truth you have to accept, that lead to growth, I think.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-19-2014, 07:33 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Playing covers sucked every piece of life out of me I'm afraid.

Far happier creating original music.
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-19-2014, 08:22 PM
BradGunnerSGT's Avatar
BradGunnerSGT BradGunnerSGT is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 695
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Agreed - both Lar's! ;) I've lost count of the number of players I see who can't "pound 2 & 4" in a musical way. Every new musical experience is worthwhile, especially if it's something outside of your pleasure circle.

My new trio gig has already taught me new things. I don't particularly like what I'm playing, & I'm not especially good at it either. It's difficult to play something with the appropriate feel if you're not feeling it in your heart, but that's the very aspect that makes you grow as a musician, & the main reason I took the gig.
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Billie Jean. That is the quintessential example of "pounding 2&4". Every once in a while I listen to that song and I'm amazed at the layering and the precision of the production.

It's literally the simplest song ever, but I challenge anyone to sit and play kick/snare/kick/snare for 4 minutes and 53 seconds and make it groove the way Ngudu Chancler did without fills or cymbals or toms.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-19-2014, 11:23 PM
No Way Jose's Avatar
No Way Jose No Way Jose is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Between the hi hat and floor tom
Posts: 963
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

I play covers. I play originals. I study every kind of music. I think it makes me a better drummer.

Most of the songs that I play were requested by members of the audience. Playing pop hasnít hurt me, and I make some money playing pop songs.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

I feel like playing originals tests my creativity. However, my creativity does not come close to most great drummers..playing along with them and hearing how dynamic they are makes me a better drummer and adds to what I can do when playing originals.
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Duck Tape's Avatar
Duck Tape Duck Tape is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,484
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Good points all round, thanks.

Look I probably came off a bit negative, I can see the positives and thankfully I really enjoy playing covers. It feels a bit like one of the last frontiers in a drummers development, and I think I'm just a tiny bit worried I might turn into a simple, boring pop player. We all remember thinking mature musicians were very boring when we were kids, and they would try and tell us ''less is more'' or something similar and it would fall on deaf ears. I think I realize that every great drummer that is anyone today has probably been through this phase of knocking out simple back beats in a professional setting.

If I can yak on a bit - it's amazing how myopic we are as drummers. We think we sound good until we hear recordings of ourselves, then we realize we suck.

When we learn the notes and stickings to a song we think we can play them, but then there's all the power, consistency, dynamics, timing and little nuances that take decades to learn.

I actually feel a bit better having read your responses.
__________________
Watch a purdie shuffle here!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPmH1wrSiQ
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 PM
braincramp's Avatar
braincramp braincramp is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,423
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I feel like playing originals tests my creativity. However, my creativity does not come close to most great drummers..playing along with them and hearing how dynamic they are makes me a better drummer and adds to what I can do when playing originals.
+1 well said..so I'll say it again.. learning covers makes me a better drummer.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:18 AM
bud7h4
This message has been deleted by bud7h4.
  #22  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 AM
Duck Tape's Avatar
Duck Tape Duck Tape is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,484
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

I am feeling like I have changed for the better.

I finally downloaded the entire setlist and playing along is dominating my practice of late.

Gig wise I have passed the honeymoon phase and I'm starting to realize that I'm mostly playing the money beat all night and the accents and structures are what I need to learn. And I realize I have a lot to learn about basic drum parts... Crash placement is one area that I am a bit lost. It's amazing how much we skim over the basics and go for technicality

Playing such bare bones stuff has me really focusing on how I play, rather than what I play so technique has really come under fire.

My opinion of my playing has lowered but I think that's a sign of growth.
__________________
Watch a purdie shuffle here!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPmH1wrSiQ
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:29 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,175
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

What is the set list Dre?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:36 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Agreed - both Lar's! ;) I've lost count of the number of players I see who can't "pound 2 & 4" in a musical way. Every new musical experience is worthwhile, especially if it's something outside of your pleasure circle.

My new trio gig has already taught me new things. I don't particularly like what I'm playing, & I'm not especially good at it either. It's difficult to play something with the appropriate feel if you're not feeling it in your heart, but that's the very aspect that makes you grow as a musician, & the main reason I took the gig.
Wow. All I've ever wanted to do is pound 2 & 4. Does that make me some kind of caveman? I was never taught to avoid certain musics - I was told to play as much music as you can play. You can't call yourself an artist with a capital 'A' until you do that.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:14 AM
Duck Tape's Avatar
Duck Tape Duck Tape is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,484
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
What is the set list Dre?
Mostly Aussie rock and pop in general. Lots of oldies too. Send us a pm if you want a look.
__________________
Watch a purdie shuffle here!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPmH1wrSiQ
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:10 PM
BFrench501 BFrench501 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 219
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Playing covers has made me a lot more mature and taught me to look for good in even the very worst songs.

What kills me is playing the same covers every single gig because the other band members don't want to change things up. Change is healthy for the soul, every other band in the locality plays the same staple songs and they won't vary from that. Never understood why playing the same songs as everyone else is a good thing. Plenty of classics without needing to play All Right Now, Sweet Home Alabama, Song 2, and 20th Century Boy every gig.

When I do step into an originals project now I am a lot more conscious of playing solidly but putting fills in the right place. My actually time keeping has improved too. But I'm still nowhere near where I want to be of course...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-18-2015, 03:03 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,266
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Playing almost any music that is not your usual changes you for the better, I think. It expands your musical horizons and makes you work and think.

As for some pop being good and some not? Well that's the same as as any music genre.

Some covers we do I dont like the song but the drumming is great, others I love the song and the drums are basic. Its the song and the band sound that matters
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-18-2015, 03:35 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Covers teach you to play for the song or taste as some may call it!

My biggest problem when I was younger was overplaying. When you study music all day, eat breathe and sleep music you want to play everything as fast as you can. Sadly no-one does lessons on taste, it's like a good wine, it improves with age.

When you listen to the big session players that you realise in a way they're covers drummers, they've not written the song but they're amazing at putting their own stamp on it.

Nowadays I find guys who play loud and fast really boring but I can listen to guys like Porcaro/Jordan/Purdie/Gadd/Kunkel/Papa Zita (Motown)/JR all day. On the rare chance I get to do some original recordings these are the people I listen to for bits of inspiration.

Unfortunately if I'm doing our bog standard wedding set I'm guilty of switching off a bit on stage, I can let rip at the lockup on my own if I need to feed my ego.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 PM
drummer-russ's Avatar
drummer-russ drummer-russ is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Peters Mo
Posts: 1,176
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Personally I enjoy replicating to the best of my ability music I like listening to. But I also love playing songs I don't listen to when the band is able to play it well. One song I played years ago was Baby Come Back by Player. Not at all a song I would listen to but ever since our band back in the day started playing it I end up turning it up when it comes on the radio.

Also, since I am a returning drummer after 30 years off, learning classic rock covers gives me the chance to learn or re-learn different grooves or fills or sticking I am sure I would not have thought of to work on, on my own.

So to me you can grow as a drummer playing covers. Of course the same can be said for originals.

Man, just play and own it!

I feel like reaching the goal of owning every song I play will be a goal I work toward the rest of my life.

Oh and for me, I do chart the song structure, make some notes about who starts the song, how our band ends it since so many fade, and note placement of key fills and accents. I don't go to the level of transcribing it. After I learn the song I tend to add some of my own interpretation without taking away from the groove and feel the original drummer provided.

A good example of a song we are playing that is not hard but takes real conviction as others have described is Get Ready by Rare Earth! You have to own that money beat!
__________________
Playing live in front of appreciative audience is the 2nd best thing in the world!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:12 PM
MikeM's Avatar
MikeM MikeM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Sometimes I feel like the poster boy for originals-only bands. It's true that I've never played in a cover band, but I play covers all the time as part of my own practicing fun. That's where a huge chunk of my development and ideas come from. If I didn't work a day job and had the time, I'd play in a cover band for sure. But time constraints and life being what they are, I have to prioritize the originals route.
__________________
My kit: It's not just good, it's good enough.

My Band
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Blisco Blisco is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 466
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

In my youth (and ignorance) I played original metal and hard rock with friends. We thought we were pure and undiluted, unlike the tripe that was popular at the time. I had a watershed moment and realized if I truly wanted to express my passion in life of being on stage and making people dance, then I was going to have to change my style, my perception and my attitude.

That was over 20 years ago. I've been playing the weekend warrior in cover bands ever since. I get paid pretty well to have fun and live my "dream" LOL

Those guys are still in their mom's basement trying to write the next brootal riff that no one will ever hear. More power to 'em, but I want to have fun. I've played Brown Eyed Girl 300 times. I detest it off stage. When there is 20-30 girls dancing or I see that a slightly older couple gets up and comes out for this classic, it's all worth it and I play my guts out on it and every other tune I am sick of. This is why I accept the life of a club musician.

My motto is: I play for free. I get paid to show up. Music and entertainment above all else. And 2&4 can be highly rewarding to play.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisco View Post
Those guys are still in their mom's basement trying to write the next brootal riff that no one will ever hear. More power to 'em, but I want to have fun. I've played Brown Eyed Girl 300 times. I detest it off stage. When there is 20-30 girls dancing or I see that a slightly older couple gets up and comes out for this classic, it's all worth it and I play my guts out on it and every other tune I am sick of. This is why I accept the life of a club musician.

My motto is: I play for free. I get paid to show up. Music and entertainment above all else. And 2&4 can be highly rewarding to play.
Amen!

I've played many an originals gig to other bands and their girlfriends and even less on occasions. Not a very rewarding experience but kudos to anyone that loves it that much and isn't bothered about getting paid well.

A friend of my dad used to play strict tempo for a dance band in the 70s and made a killing. The mad thing is the singer in his original band which never went anywhere was Rob Halford who went on to make a serious killing.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:48 PM
River19's Avatar
River19 River19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 219
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Granted this is my first post on DW but......

For years I played in cover bands, and frankly I enjoyed the heck out of it. Did the whole wedding band thing for a while and was playing with a fantastic set of musicians with a book of well over 100 tunes, most of which were not familiar to me initially from a playing standpoint.

Everyone else in the band was in their 50s and 60s when I was in my 20s and 30s, so plenty of Beatles, Chuck Berry etc. which I have grown to love and appreciate.

It taught me how to play many different styles convincingly and play for the songs. No one was at these gigs to hear the drummer bust out chops and solos, they were there to dance their heads off and enjoy hearing tunes played in the way they remember them.

It taught me how to chart things out, how to follow on stage queues from the band for tunes I had no idea about, it taught me how to swing, how to play the slow blues, how to pace myself on tunes and most importantly how to hit the breaks, nail the endings and play for the song.

I think honestly the slow stuff is harder to nail when you are playing 30-60 song sets (yes 60......we did an annual Halloween party with a 60 and 30 song set). There is a lot of space to screw up in "Whiter Shade of Pale" etc......

I do remember several WTF moments when they would take a request for a song I didn't know.....it would lead to a 30 second panic with the bass player saying something like "....2 & 4, stright rock, sloshy hihats...think CCR and watch me for the breaks"......

As others have stated, every type of music you play will teach you something if you approach it with an open mind and especially if you take the time to learn the nuances vs. "I just need to plow through this"....

Good discussion......
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,082
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

If you want to get your 2&4 pop drumming down pat, listen to John JR Robinson's drumming on Michael Jackson'n album Off The Wall. And by listening I mean... LISTEN. I'm kind of obsessed with the record right now, listening to it at least once a day and always picking up new stuff.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-18-2015, 07:41 PM
philrudd's Avatar
philrudd philrudd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 455
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebe zeit View Post
Also, I'm just starting to teach my 7 year old and we've started with a classic pop groove - Billie Jean. So simple but 20 years playing that would not necessarily be enough to "get it".
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Short answer: I think it changes you for the better.

I also gained an appreciation for drummers I had looked down on before for not being "interesting" enough. I thought I understood that stuff, but I realized I didn't.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
It's a challenge to ignore all the opportunities to play technically and focus on simplifying the groove. Simple in concept, but full of nuance.
YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
A good example of a song we are playing that is not hard but takes real conviction as others have described is Get Ready by Rare Earth! You have to own that money beat!
HELL yes.

I don't see how playing covers can be a bad thing, even if they're songs you hate...ESPECIALLY if they're songs you hate! I've played covers of everyone from Prince to Huey Lewis to Bryan Adams to Traci Ullman to (shocker!) AC/DC - some I loved, some I hated, but I learned something playing each and every one.

Of course playing originals is always fun - you get to play what you want, for the most part. Playing someone else's part forces you to stretch, sometimes unwillingly - but that's where you really start to progress.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,258
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

I never understood why covers and originals are automatically divided into separate categories.

It's all music. It doesn't matter who wrote it. What does matter is can a band make an audience connect with the way they play it?

I'll never understand people in original bands having a superior attitude over cover band players. A great song is a great song.

I love playing music no matter who wrote it or when it was written.

Audience psychology: People like what they know. If they don't know it, it's an uphill climb.

The thing you have to ask yourself is why do you play? What is your desired outcome? There's thousands of reasons to play, what's yours?

If you play to add new original music to the world, that's a noble cause for sure. Tough row to hoe though. To me that's like saying, I think I'll climb Everest. Much respect to the ones who go that route, hats off.

If you play to be cool, or to show everyone how bitchin you are as a drummer, you've got some maturing to do.

I play because I want to see chicks dance. They dance the easiest with music that they know and has a great dance beat.

A good time is my goal. It's so not about the band, it's so about the audience. Girls just want to have fun. Happy to help that along.

I think some people play so they can be considered great by others. IMO, that's way short-sighted. I feel there's a larger issue at hand. It goes against my personal tenets, being selfish. Musicians are supposed to emotionally give of themselves. It's not about the musician, the audience is the beneficiary. This can be done with any song, no matter the origin.

The thing is, if you put the audience first, adulation will come without you even trying. My personal opinion only.

Playing cover songs has greatly expanded my working knowledge of songs, and I am forced to learn things I might not have sought out on my own.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 PM
River19's Avatar
River19 River19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 219
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I never understood why covers and originals are automatically divided into separate categories.

It's all music. It doesn't matter who wrote it. What does matter is can a band make an audience connect with the way they play it?

I'll never understand people in original bands having a superior attitude over cover band players. A great song is a great song.

I love playing music no matter who wrote it or when it was written.

Audience psychology: People like what they know. If they don't know it, it's an uphill climb.

The thing you have to ask yourself is why do you play? What is your desired outcome? There's thousands of reasons to play, what's yours?

If you play to add new original music to the world, that's a noble cause for sure. Tough row to hoe though. To me that's like saying, I think I'll climb Everest. Much respect to the ones who go that route, hats off.

If you play to be cool, or to show everyone how bitchin you are as a drummer, you've got some maturing to do.

I play because I want to see chicks dance. They dance the easiest with music that they know and has a great dance beat.

A good time is my goal. It's so not about the band, it's so about the audience. Girls just want to have fun. Happy to help that along.

I think some people play so they can be considered great by others. IMO, that's way short-sighted. I feel there's a larger issue at hand. It goes against my personal tenets, being selfish. Musicians are supposed to emotionally give of themselves. It's not about the musician, the audience is the beneficiary. This can be done with any song, no matter the origin.

The thing is, if you put the audience first, adulation will come without you even trying. My personal opinion only.

Playing cover songs has greatly expanded my working knowledge of songs, and I am forced to learn things I might not have sought out on my own.
This.

And in all honesty when I play live, I play for those reasons as well. My days of getting into dick measuring contests over skills are way behind me in all of my hobbies etc. in life. Play for the music and the whole experience. That is how bands get hired again not by whether we pull off the Black Page.....
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Boomka Boomka is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,329
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Yes, playing covers will make you more attractive to the mortgage officer.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-18-2015, 08:49 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,258
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Todd I was just thinking about you just yesterday wondering if we would ever hear from you again.

Great to see you here man, really miss your input.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Boomka Boomka is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,329
Default Re: Does playing covers change you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Todd I was just thinking about you just yesterday wondering if we would ever hear from you again.

Great to see you here man, really miss your input.
Cheers, Larry. You must have Spidey Sense because yesterday was the first time I'd signed-in and browsed the forums in a very long time.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com