DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:37 AM

Default Tempus ordered, payed in April- snare still not there

hi Folks

I believed on the new Hype about Tempus drum Company and ordered from Paul Mason 13x5 snaredrum, payed 535bucks per paypal on 29april this Year and snare is still not here. Paul appologised few Times but in the end i have not Tracking number and snare seems not to arrive. I am extremely dissapointed and very angry on me because i ordered and payed whole amount of Cash to this Person . Advices please , thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tempus ordered, payed in April- snare still not there

You could take your grievance to their FB page. At the very least you'll get an answer right away. Good luck, stay positive.

I just bought a great Tempus snare. They're great drums but after everything I have read about the company I will stick to purchasing them used.

Great snare though, I got to take mine for a test drive at practice last night. I'm loving the nice musical qualities that the rimshots have. I may have to tune it a little higher than I have it though, it wasn't carrying as much as I would have liked.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 09-11-2014, 01:53 AM

Thank you very much for your answer Red M.
I am just waiting for my snare too Long, wish i had do this like you described
Old 10-04-2014, 12:13 AM

So i am really dissapointed and depressed Paul Mason decided to ignore me and After 5 months where i payed 535 Dollars in April 2014 , i still have not my snare drum
What a mistake i am really f...ed !!!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerlandfreak View Post
So i am really dissapointed and depressed Paul Mason decided to ignore me and After 5 months where i payed 535 Dollars in April 2014 , i still have not my snare drum
What a mistake i am really f...ed !!!
This is extremely saddening to hear. Communication is key, & even if a company has a difficulty for whatever reason, good communication with customers is always the route to keeping everything ticking along. Ignoring a customer is inexcusable in any situation.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:30 AM

Thank you Andy for your support!
I can not understand why?
At Last i started to Write him on the Facebook but he ignores me everytime...the First Bad expirience with drummer in my life, i dont know if there is any possible thing to do that i have my Money back, i sold my brady to buy tempus just to Experiment with new Sounds and now this happened ....i also ordered from USA used tempus drums from another seller and it is on its Way to me with Tracking Number etc...but PAUL just dont want to Send me this f.....g snare...o am really angry!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 01:39 AM

So guys do you know what exactly happened with tempus drum Company?
Maybe i dont know i readed about new come back for tempus and milestone etc but how can somebody make good Business with this art of Communication and not to shipp the Goods to Customer !?
Old 10-04-2014, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

I thought Tempus went out of business 20 years ago. (?)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
No Idea Ian, but a very active & well patronised FB page https://www.facebook.com/tempus.drums?fref=ts
Old 10-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

That is odd.. did they say it was shipped or got lost in shipping? Do you have a tracking number?
I have a Tempus snare , bought used thru Kajiji.. Local is the only way I buy equipment..

It's a great snare full of character, great at different tunings, kind of the crack of metal but woody sounding. Hope you get it worked out!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
So guys do you know what exactly happened with tempus drum Company?
Maybe i dont know i readed about new come back for tempus and milestone etc but how can somebody make good Business with this art of Communication and not to shipp the Goods to Customer !?
its called "habit"... you must have ignored the past 12 years or so

wishful thinking can do that sometimes
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Administrator - Mayor

From Facebook where I asked a question:

Tempus Drums Hi Johnny,

No problem at all, no; he ordered a snare drum from me at the very beginning of May, I shipped it in early July, it went missing so I built a replacement and sent it along as well, a couple of weeks ago. As he and I exchanged e-mails on this subject only last week he knows full what the facts are.

He is frustrated, and I don't fault him for that, but he will soon doubtless have his snare drum, and it'll go, I imagine, very nicely with the Tempus drum set I'm told he also very recently purchased.

Many thanks for checking in.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
From Facebook where I asked a question:

Tempus Drums Hi Johnny,

No problem at all, no; he ordered a snare drum from me at the very beginning of May, I shipped it in early July, it went missing so I built a replacement and sent it along as well, a couple of weeks ago. As he and I exchanged e-mails on this subject only last week he knows full what the facts are.

He is frustrated, and I don't fault him for that, but he will soon doubtless have his snare drum, and it'll go, I imagine, very nicely with the Tempus drum set I'm told he also very recently purchased.

Many thanks for checking in.

Cheers,

Paul
Thanks for this Grunt.

Slingerlandfreak, the reply from Tempus says you have exchanged emails, & that you are aware of the replacement shipping status. This is counter to your posts here where you suggest you've been ignored & that Tempus are not answering your messages. Which version is true please?

If the version from Tempus is correct, then your posts here have been short on detail to say the least, & I would suggest, misleading. This is not good.

I make no pronunciation on who's right or wrong here. My only observation is that communication is key to keeping things moving along nicely. If your requests for updates/information have not been replied to, then that's not conducive to good customer relations.

I know only too well how frustrating & potentially expensive it is for the builder to have goods go missing or damaged in shipping. It's difficult to claim the cost of replacement unless there was a specific insurance, & most customers aren't too interested in taking out such insurance. If Tempus have offered to send another drum, then communication expectations aside, that's a good service response right there.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:48 PM

Thank you gruntersdad and all guys , so i didnt Change anything, so First i want to say that it is the First Time to have such expirience with anybody , i was Long Time endorser of istanbul mehmet and ordered from them x Times , i ordered overseas many Times , some vintage drum Stuff - slingerland from Amsterdam , over the Ebay USA i bought 20x16, and some Short Stack toms 10,13,16 from one tempus user that tempus /Paul posted on this Facebook Site and it came to me without Problems , and many other orders without any Problems, but i can post whole damn Communication between Paul and me and you can make your conclusion Alone, i wanted to post some nice Review about this snare and whole drums because o followed the sound of tempus and sold my brady jarrah block to buy this snare , this is the Last thing i would do, i am radiologist and i have Money so o can live without 535dollars but i feel not good if somebody lies to me, he didnt gave me Tracking Number After many requests, so i dont believe on anything, also not on replacement until i havent here in my house, i wish you all not to have this experience and for me it is wrilly First Time
Old 10-04-2014, 09:53 PM

And yes he answered me many Weeks ago Last Time to say that i will become replacement but that was the Last Time and After that i asked him few Times about Tracking Number so he didnt answered and sorry this Shit is from April and it is almost 5 months from that Point and i am not guilty , so he can say what he says but i am really dissapointed
Old 10-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Found this on their FB page:

Quote:
Tempus Drums
May 22
By way of clarification, some Q&A.

Q. What's happening with Tempus Drums these days?
A. It's still in transition; I still own the company but the shells/drums are now all being manufactured under the supervision of my old friend Bill Hibbs ( of Monolith Drums ) out in Toronto.

Q. You still have drums in Vancouver, right?
A. I have around 100 snare drum shells and other oddities here, yes; these I assemble and ship as and when they're ordered.

Q. How do I find out what you've got in stock?
A. I'm reconstructing a list of those items and should be able to post it soon; the old list disappeared when Facebook forced a page mutation on me a few weeks ago.

Q. How do I order newly built drums?
A. Simple; you can contact either Bill ( whibbs@gmail.com ) or me ( masontempus@gmail.com ) for all brand new custom orders.

Q. How long is the wait for a new drum/drum set?
A. Roughly the same as it always was; 12-16 weeks from receipt of deposit to the finished drums going into boxes.

Q. So it takes 12-16 weeks to build a Tempus drum?
A. Nope, it actually takes only a few days; it simply takes 10-14 weeks for any given order to reach the top of the production schedule.

Q. Can I still get T-shirts and bass drum heads with the Tempus/Milestone logo on them?
A. Yes, although available stock varies depending on demand/usage.

Basically, folks, this is a work in progress and something of an uphill battle; as you might well imagine it's not a simple task, after 18 months in hibernation, to re-start an operation like this. But we have good people involved, the new workshop is gradually getting up to speed, parts inventories are being replenished, orders are coming in ( which means that lost momentum is slowly being regained ) and are also starting to go out.

All in all an encouraging state of affairs.

PFM

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And yes he answered me many Weeks ago Last Time to say that i will become replacement but that was the Last Time and After that i asked him few Times about Tracking Number so he didnt answered
Ok, that's good to know. Tempus says they sent you an email last week, you say it was many weeks ago, & have since not had requests for tracking number (presumably & understandably as proof of shipment) answered. It's clear that the communication train has broken down somewhere, & impossible for anyone outside of direct involvement to know what's really happening. That's a shame. I hope that your snare arrives. Please let us all know if you get confirmation of shipment, & if the snare arrives in the next week. If you get neither, then that tells us a lot. If the snare arrives, then it's over with, & you can move on :)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, FB page or not, this is a shameful situation. At least the man should acknowledge the customer and communicate. It just sounds even more shady when they stop communicating.

Perhaps we should send some friends over named Vinny and Chuy to have a chat?

EDIT - cancel Vinny and Chuy. Evidently someone is communicating? I hope it works out.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 PM

So i am Long Time on this forum, and i am more Reading than Posting simply because i dont speak Perfect english and i have not Time to do that.....
So i will wait More Time and inform you at the end how this thing ends...at the end the tempus drums are really Great low end sounding drums and they are very lightweight, carbon fibre seems to be Great material for drums, it is really shame that such nice drums have so horrible Customer service, i dont know the Problems of the Company but i am dissapointed and i can only Hope to become my snaredrum in the very unpredictable Future, of course i will inform you....
Keep on drummin
Old 10-04-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
at the end the tempus drums are really Great low end sounding drums and they are very lightweight, carbon fibre seems to be Great material for drums
sometimes the best drums are the ones you never get to play
Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 AM

I guess the history of Paul Mason and Tempus drums hasn't hit Drummerworld yet. There are many of us fellow drummers who've been conned by Mason. I won't mince words here. It took more than two years to get the kit I ordered from Mason, with me having to email and phone again and again to find out what was going on. Just as slingerlandfreak reports, Mason missed ship date after ship date and failed to communicate after each missed delivery. Yes, Mason would eventually get in touch and give yet another excuse and yet another delivery date. After a while, I didn't care what the new excuse was.

When my kit finally arrived, it was full of defects: cracks in the finish, drilling mistakes, and splits in the bearing edges. At that point, when I contacted Mason to ask for a full refund, Mr. Mason blamed me for the flaws in the kit, claming I'd somehow mishandled the drums. The drums were and are exactly as Mr. Mason delivered them.

It was then that I started to research. Indeed, I found more cases of Mason doing exactly the same thing to other customers. Most alarmingly, I found a customer in the UK who ordered a kit that arrived with similar defects to my own kit. The customer posted emails wherein Mason admitted the defects were part of his manufacturing process. After trying another year to get my kit corrected through Mason, I gave up and took the loss.

I could post an entire thread on the various details of composite drum manufacturing that Paul Mason used as excuses for why my drums were taking so long. And, I could post another thread demonstrating how each of Mr. Mason's excuses makes no sense. Even the most rudimentary composites builder would avoid the problems Mr. Mason claimed to be having. By the end, I concluded Mr. Mason's drum building and business skills are rudimentary at best.

Bottom line: slingerlandfreak has learned the same hard lesson many other Mason / Tempus customers have. There is no quality control or consistency in drums built my Mr. Mason. The only thing consistent is Mr. Mason's ability to defraud customers. The best thing to do is to avoid Mason and Tempus. This debacle has been going on for years and I'm amazed it continues.

Side note to slingerlandfreak: It's not you. You're dealing with an amateur who falls awfully close to being a scammer. The sooner you realize this and divest yourself of this transaction, the better off you'll be. Don't worry about the money. Get out with your sanity intact. It's the best decision you'll make. Sorry this happened to you.

Last edited by TDM; 10-05-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDM View Post
I guess the history of Paul Mason and Tempus drums hasn't hit Drummerworld yet. There are many of us fellow drummers who've been conned by Mason. I won't mince words here. It took more than two years to get the kit I ordered from Mason, with me having to email and phone again and again to find out what was going on. Just as slingerlandfreak reports, Mason missed ship date after ship date and failed to communicate after each missed delivery. Yes, Mason would eventually get in touch and give yet another excuse and yet another delivery date. After a while, I didn't care what the new excuse was.

When my kit finally arrived, it was full of defects: cracks in the finish, drilling mistakes, and splits in the bearing edges. At that point, when I contacted Mason to ask for a full refund, Mr. Mason blamed me for the flaws in the kit, claming I'd somehow mishandled the drums. The drums were and are exactly as Mr. Mason delivered them.

It was then that I started to research. Indeed, I found more cases of Mason doing exactly the same thing to other customers. Most alarmingly, I found a customer in the UK who ordered a kit that arrived with similar defects to my own kit. The customer posted emails wherein Mason admitted the defects were part of his manufacturing process. After trying another year to get my kit corrected through Mason, I gave up and took the loss.

I could post an entire thread on the various details of composite drum manufacturing that Paul Mason used as excuses for why my drums were taking so long. And, I could post another thread demonstrating how each of Mr. Mason's excuses made no sense at all. Even the most rudimentary composites builder would avoid the problems Mr. Mason seemed to be having. By the end, I concluded Mr. Mason's drum building and composites skills were rudimentary at best.

Bottom line: slingerlandfreak has learned the same hard lesson many other Mason / Tempus customers have. There is no quality control or consistency in drums built my Mr. Mason. The only thing consistent is Mr. Mason's ability to defraud customers. The best thing to do is to avoid Mason and Tempus. This debacle has been going on for years and I'm amazed it continues.

Side note to slingerlandfreak: It's not you. You're dealing with a scammer. The sooner you realize this and divest yourself of this transaction, the better off you'll be. Don't worry about the money. Get out with your sanity intact. It's the best decision you'll make. Sorry this happened to you.
Thank you very much that you Wrote your experience , this is horrible....i didnt know These things.....i am really depressed and completely jerk because i sold amazing brady snare and sent the Money to nowhere ...very sad and very Bad experience that i will not forget but i will make everething to Write my experience everywhere... It is too many drum builder in the World and there is no reason to risk with tempus/Mason
So i go sleep it is the best thing i can do in this Moment
Thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess the history of Paul Mason and Tempus drums hasn't hit Drummerworld yet.
I was not aware of this, but thank you for bringing such things to the collective attention.

I'm always even handed in these stories, as there's invariably missing information on both sides. The real shame is, it shouldn't get to a point where there are "sides". Communication & transparency are everything. As a manufacturer, if you're having difficulty with something, tell the truth, communicate freely, put your best efforts into resolving the issue, & almost everyone will roll with you.

Of course, in my position, I have to be careful what I say about other companies. It's so easy to view my stated opinions as being biased or seeking to gain advantage. Anyone who knows me will tell you it's simply not how I roll. Even though I'm cautious on these issues, the one thing I cannot stand is other makers staining the reputation of the smaller builders, either justified or not.

Slingerlandfreak, of course, I hope this resolves well for you. If you continue to look for carbon fibre shell drums, you may want to consider Rocket Shells.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:23 AM

That sucks. Sounds like he is the John Hennessey of the drum world.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

I don't see Tempus drums everywhere, so I doubt demand is so high that it takes 10-12 weeks just to start your custom drum order. Unless there is other business that puts drums in the backseat. I see they have base in Toronto now, maybe he was hanging with Mayor Rob Ford, learning his skills on how to "work for the people".
Old 10-05-2014, 08:38 PM

So i found this Email in my inbox

"... how could you do this..."

Do what, exactly?

Build you a drum, as ordered, and ship it only to have it disappear? Build you a replacement and ship it, too?

Yes, I can certainly see how that' might be viewed as pretty awful customer service.

Perhaps if I had sent it to the same US-based address to which you're apparently having Stan Hall ship your Tempus drum set I might've had more success in delivery; some European destinations do seem to present challenges - in fact the first time I ever had a drum go completely missing it had been sent to a man in Prague; several others have also mysteriously gone AWOL en route to Europe and, at best, transit takes a very long time ( three-plus weeks so far - with no delivery as yet - for a small air-mailed package sent to a regular customer in Norway ).

Perhaps you feel that taking your complaint to a public forum will help, that it'll somehow improve the shipping service of the carrier or of German customs ( or whoever ). I can only tell you that it won't help at all, that such publicity never has either helped the customer nor damaged me; as I near 30 years in this business I can certainly remember each and every frustrated, even angry, customer ( and there've been a few, as is inevitable over the course of three decades ) but, ultimately, a reputation can neither be faked by a business nor destroyed by a disgruntled individual.

Once again, I am sorry that all of this has taken so long, that this situation has occurred and of course, regardless of actual events, logistics and derailments, we can both agree that ultimately the fault is mine. But, as have thousands before you, you will have your drum and I believe it'll go very nicely with the set you've bought from Stan - certainly he has enjoyed that kit, as he will continue to enjoy his remaining Tempus set ( his third or fourth, I think, and one for which we're currently building additional drums ).

And you're welcome to continue to publicly voice your displeasure if you like, though I can't see it accomplishing anything positive.

Paul
Old 10-05-2014, 08:41 PM

Thank you for the answer
I am here and i will wait on this drum , Stan didnt want to Send me this Set overseas and i found my Cousin in Missoury to shipp there, but you Never Said that you wouldnt ship this snare to Europe , every Time i ordered in USA it came to me in Germany, why cant you give me Tracking number that i can Follow this shippment ?
For example your Great Kit from Stan is now in Köln and shipping to my adress will be until 7.10.2014 , why would be that a problem to have Tracking number of the replacement snare? If this cost i could Send you additional 20-30 Dollars ..., if the snare comes to me i will Review it there of course and will make clear Situation for you , but sorry 5 months is too Long and deserve special attention ! It can not be two Times That shippment doesnt work, i am waiting .....
All the best
Old 10-05-2014, 08:47 PM

This was my Communication with PAUL Mason few Minutes ago
I am waiting on the snare and will inform you all if it arrives to me in next days - to make it clear in earlier Mail Paul Says the replacement snare was on shipping Depot on 11.september
So i am here and i wait
Old 10-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

First, let me say that your situation stinks. I feel really bad for you. It's also painfully apparent that Mr Mason has had problems.

Let me give you (and everyone else reading this) some perspective. I don't make drums, but my wife and I do own a nano-business. We make sewing patterns for people to make their own historical clothing. (Our website is here, if anyone would care to have a look.)

We ship all over the world. International shipping is a nightmare. I have stuff go missing All. The. Time. I don't really understand why. It's not like you can pinch one of our patterns and flog it at the pawnbrokers for a few bob. But it happens.

But you can sure as hell do that with a drum. And customs forms always - if the shipper isn't idiot enough to lie on it - list what's in the box and what it's worth. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn your first snare got nicked en route.

When that happens, the shipper starts the insurance collection process. (Because only a fool ships expensive stuff without insuring the package.) That can take literally months to sort out.

When a package gets lost, I wait until I get the insurance money from the shipping company before I send any replacement. Otherwise I'm throwing good money after bad. Plus there's always a chance the customer actually received the first package and is scamming me. Trust me. It happens.

That's shipping out of the way. Now let's talk about turnaround time.

Amazon has ruined customer expectations from small online businesses. People simply don't believe that we don't have hundreds of employees and a 24-hour customer-service line. I've gotten nastygrams from customers in Europe pissed off that I haven't replied to the email they sent at 0830GMT. When it's lunchtime for you, I can still taste the toothpaste. I have office hours clearly posted on my website.

Add to that that I take things to the shipper twice or thrice a week. 24-hour turnaround is nice, but we clearly state lead times on our FAQ. 12 weeks is a pretty tame turnaround time for a guy who might only have the chance to actually make his products for a couple of hours a day three days a week. But customers don't care anymore. They're used to ordering on Monday and having it on Wednesday.

People also ignore the FAQ, so much so that if Google wouldn't ding me for not having one with actual content I'd switch all the content to read "I don't know why I bother. You won't read it anyway." So I have to waste more time answering questions that the customer could have answered for themselves by just clicking the letters "FAQ." I already work a 40+ hour a week job outside of my own business. I don't have time to answer an email asking "Do you ship to Kersplatia, and if so, by what method? Also what credit cards do you take" because I have better things to do than enable someone too f*cking lazy to click a g*ddamn link.

That concludes turnaround time and the short rant about how out-of-whack customer expectations have gotten.

Now let's talk about how often "talented craftsman" coincides with "someone who has a clue how to run a business." The answer to that riddle is "Hardly ever."

What generally happens is a guy makes a decent widget, says to himself, "Say, I could do this full-time," and throws his shingle out. He's still working his day job, probably has a family and other commitments.

Usually he won't have a frickin' clue how to price his widget, so he sets his prices too low. Sometimes his widgets are more awesomer than other widgets from other widget-makers. More rarely, it's an awesomer widget with a stupid low price.

No matter what drives it, orders start pouring in. But it's not enough to drop the day job. (It hardly ever is.) You start falling behind. You're too busy making widgets every waking hour not spent attending to your previous duties - job, family, etc. - to answer the flood of emails you get to your customwidgetmaker.com email address either. Your lead time gets longer and longer and longer. You're figuring out that being your own boss sucks big hairy balls. You're not having any fun, and you're probably way too tired for naughty time with the missus. Your friends evaporate because you're always too busy and/or frazzled to do anything.

When that happens, sometimes the craftsman just wigs out and disappears. That's worst-case. Other times, the craftsman puts up a sign that says "I'm not taking new orders until the backlog is cleared." That's best-case. In the middle is when the turnaround time gets so long customers get crabby. Because even if they do have a clue about custom-widget lead time, they're used to a couple weeks, tops. Combined with a perfectly natural desire to get your shiny new widget souring into dissatisfaction when the arbitrary "that's too long" period stretches, because you just want to play with your shiny new widget, things can go downhill.

Anyway, didn't mean to preach. I just wanted to give some perspective. Slingerlandfreak is clearly having a negative experience. But I also somewhat agree with the tone and content of Mr Mason's email to the customer (I certainly understand it).

YMMV.

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com

Last edited by STXBob; 10-05-2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: brain too fast for fingers
Old 10-05-2014, 10:03 PM

keep it simple and slingerlandfreak,

Quote:
keep it simple wrote:
As a manufacturer, if you're having difficulty with something, tell the truth, communicate freely, put your best efforts into resolving the issue, & almost everyone will roll with you.
This is where Paul Mason / Tempus Drums are their own worst enemy.

Customers understand that things don't always go as expected and/or that defects slip into manufacturing. However, when you mislead the customer repeatedly, that's when you loose the customer's faith.

I gave Paul Mason dozens of opportunities to deliver my order, extending deadlines by months upon months. Each time the drums failed show up and Mason had a new excuse. At one point, I said to Mason "look, I understand schedules slip... if it's another six months from now, just tell me... I want the actual delivery date this time, please." It made no difference. Mason kept feeding me bogus status reports.

Consider the following. I make a phone call in the morning and talk to Mason who tells me, yet again, that he's busy at that very moment building my drums. A few hours later, I happen upon Mason's Facebook page which says something akin to: "decided to take the day off today and thus didn't go into the shop; so here I am sipping beer at the beach; life is great".

I now find this next story quite funny, but it sure wasn't amusing at the time. The best of the bogus status reports was when Mason told me my kit was complete. He said customers in his shop were commenting how gorgeous the finish was. Six months later, after more excuses with no delivery, and upon delivering the first drum piecemeal, Mason said "I'll start working on the other drums next week". Right. Would those be the drums "customers were commenting on" but that aren't built yet? Uh yeah, those are the ones!

Follow-up advice to slingerlandfreak: My guess is the drum wasn't lost in shipping. Rather, the drum hasn't been completed yet, which is why there's no tracking number and the drum hasn't shown up. If you're not prepared to wait indefinitely, register against Mason or at least let him know you're prepared to do so. Here's the court district Mason resides in:

North Vancouver Provincial Court
200 East 23rd Street
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V7L 4R4
Phone: 604-981-0200
Web: http://www.provincialcourt.bc.ca/cou...orth-vancouver
Old 10-05-2014, 10:16 PM

I just read Paul Mason's email that slingerlandfreak posted. One of Mr. Mason's gambits for misleading customers is quoting how many years he's been in business followed by attempting to make the customer feel guilty for raising a complaint. Been there with Mr. Mason. I know the gambit well. Don't fall prey to the "I'm a man of integrity; look at my other sales" tactic. This is carefully crafted BS.

Last edited by TDM; 10-05-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

I don't own a business, and all due respect to those who do (and have experienced shipping nightmares-they do happen) sometimes excuses like Paul's just don't fly.Did he voice any concerns shipping to Germany at order placement?

Shipping is what I do for a living; for 30 years. On behalf of my employers and their customers, I've shipped regularly to Canada, Mexico, Germany, France, the U.K., UAE, Turkey, Taiwan, on and on, etc.

Sure, sometimes there is misfortune, it can be a pain and you must be thourough, but it isn't brain surgery to deliver to a customer in Europe. Properly completed export and Customs doc's, Commercial Invoice (yes, you do declare the value) and your shipment gets delivered. Sure, there are some dishonest folks everywhere, however they are the exception. I cannot remember the last time a shipment to a foreign country "disappeared." Proper documentation and a good address and problems are minimal.

Most concerning to me regarding the shipment however is the refusal to provide Slingerlandfreak a tracking number. No excuses. If Tempus shipped the drum, they'd freely and eagerly share the tracking number with the customer. Most every time, no providing of the tracking # has only one explaination - no shipment.

Sorry for the nightmare, Slingerlandfreak; hope this works out for yoju.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Shipping a full kit transatlantic can be a costly activity, but a single snare is quite economical. Shipping from USA to Europe via US postal service can be a bit ponderous, & notification of inbound duties/payment regime can slow things down too, but 2 weeks door to door is about average. Economy air via courier isn't that much more expensive, but it's a much more slick service. Takes an average of 5 - 7 days. Priority air 3 - 5 days.

I recently had a huge delay due to miscommunication between shipping sub contractors when pulling goods out of the USA into Europe, but that was down to the unusually complexed nature of the shipment. Simple export shipping is fast & easy. I ship to the USA frequently, & it takes just days.

Slingerlandfreak - In all cases, providing a tracking number is easy, immediate upon booking the shipping service (or collection via consolidator), & provided without additional cost. There is no viable excuse for not being able to provide tracking information. I'm not aware of a shipping service (even standard postal) that does not use tracking. The service we use provides real time location tracking, & that's becoming the norm these days.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Silver Member

Keep it simple,

Exactly what I'm getting at in my previous post.Especially using air courier, exporting something like a snare drum is quite simple.

In my dealings over the years with vendors and sub-contractors, etc., there is only one reason for not providing a tracking number upon request.It's because they haven't shipped anything yet.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:38 AM

I realize a lot of people here don't seem to know Paul Mason's history and aren't familiar with his behaviour and shoddy dealings running Tempus Drums. From Paul Mason's Facebook page today. The perfunctory, always predictable, "got busted again", "poor me" speech:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mason:
"When something is important enough, you do it even if the
odds are not in your favour." ~Elon Musk

Mr. Musk is a world-changer, a visionary cultural creative of the
very highest order and he was speaking, of course, of much larger
and far more impactful ventures than custom built drums.

Still, in the end, each of us on our own level sometimes has
to weigh the odds and make a decision to either try or not.
Sorry, Yoda.

Speaking personally I can honestly say that while it hasn't made
me either wealthy or particularly famous (neither of which was a
part of the original goal in any case) - that it has in truth caused
me and many around me a considerable amount of pain and grief
at times - the adventure which has been Tempus Drums has been
well worth the effort.

It has been important enough.
Just so everyone has an idea of my own horror story dealing with Mason, here are two pictures of the snare drum he sent me. The shell is covered in cracks and came this way from the factory. I had to remove the lugs because reflections from the metal were interfering with closeup photographs. That's the only change I made to the drum.

My entire Tempus kit is covered with cracks like this. In fiberglass and gelcoat terminology, it appears the shells didn't release properly from the molds. Or, it could be that Mason mixed the gelcoat and catalyst incorrectly. Or, it could be that Mason didn't prepare the molds properly and/or isn't maintaining the molds properly. The point is... these are factory defects and the kit isn't the boutique quality I paid for nor is it of even minimum acceptable quality. Mason refused to refund and refused to replace the kit.

Attached Images

Last edited by TDM; 10-07-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Keep it simple,

Exactly what I'm getting at in my previous post.Especially using air courier, exporting something like a snare drum is quite simple.

In my dealings over the years with vendors and sub-contractors, etc., there is only one reason for not providing a tracking number upon request.It's because they haven't shipped anything yet.
I completely agree with you :)
Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I realize a lot of people here don't seem to know Paul Mason's history and aren't familiar with his behaviour and shoddy dealings running Tempus Drums. From Paul Mason's Facebook page today. The perfunctory, always predictable, "got busted again", "poor me" speech:

Just so everyone has an idea of my own horror story dealing with Mason, here are two pictures of the snare drum he sent me. The shell is covered in cracks and came this way from the factory. I had to remove the lugs because reflections from the metal were interfering with closeup photographs. That's the only change I made to the drum.

My entire Tempus kit is covered with cracks like this. In fiberglass and gelcoat terminology, it appears the shells didn't release properly from the molds. Or, it could be that Mason mixed the gelcoat and catalyst incorrectly. Or, it could be that Mason didn't prepare the molds properly and/or isn't maintaining the molds properly. The point is... these are factory defects and the kit isn't the boutique quality I paid for nor is it of even minimum acceptable quality. Mason refused to refund and refused to replace the kit.

This is really Bad damage
Old 10-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
This is really Bad damage
If you paid by Paypal why don't you simply raise a dispute through them. You get your money back. Story ends.

Can't understand why you have put up with so much when you have paid by Paypal and will be fully covered by Paypal Buyer Protection.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
If you paid by Paypal why don't you simply raise a dispute through them. You get your money back. Story ends.

Can't understand why you have put up with so much when you have paid by Paypal and will be fully covered by Paypal Buyer Protection.
Exactly, get your money back and move on.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Thanks guys i thought i can not become my Money back, what should i exactly do?