DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Too much time between songs during a gig

I've been at gigs where it takes the band way too long to end one song and start the next one. It can happen for a whole host of reasons, but it's usually due to one of these:

1) Guitarists switching guitars

2) Guitarists tuning guitars

3) Front man trying to talk too much (shout outs to people that came out to watch the band, reminders to tip waitresses/bartenders, introducing band members who were featured on the song, etc)

4) Front man trying to switch order of songs on the fly, or playing the audience request game

5) Various technical difficulties or adjustments being made between songs

I've heard a lot of feedback from people in the audience that get annoyed when it takes the band too long to move on to the next song. this really frustrates me, because I am prepared and it is not my fault that the song transitions are so slow. I particularly get annoyed when the front man wants to make song changes on the spot, usually for no good reason (many times it is ego driven or someone who is passive/aggressive). And I absolutely hate it when the band leader starts entertaining song ideas from the audience. We are not a DJ and this is not a wedding.

What is your experience with this issue? How have you dealt with it? Have you ever just clicked off the next song just to move things along?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Too much time between songs during a gig

Good topic. As a drummer and not the leader, I just go with whatever happens. As long as it's entertaining in that time, cool. If it is because of someone fumbling with equipment, whatever. I have no control, and it's best not to let it ruin the mood. But I agree that ideally, shows should move along. As far as changing the song order, again, whatever. In my trio, I don't know what song we will do until the leader starts. He usually starts the songs by himself, that way he can set the tempo he wants to play it at that night. There are only a few he has to count off. The funny thing is he never lets me know what song we are doing. I have to figure it out by the tempo of the count. Keeps me on my toes. On the flip side, he GREATLY appreciates the fact that he can do his thing without needing to inform me of what's coming up because he knows I will be right there with the right beat. A drummer has to read minds to a certain extent.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
In my trio, I don't know what song we will do until the leader starts. He usually starts the songs by himself, that way he can set the tempo he wants to play it at that night. There are a few he counts off. The funny thing is he never lets me know what song we are doing. I have to figure it out by the tempo of the count. Keeps me on my toes. On the flip side, he GREATLY appreciates the fact that he can do his thing without needing to inform me of what's coming up because he knows I will be right there with the right beat. A drummer has to read minds to a certain extent.
I've experienced that as well, which was very difficult for me at first, because I tend to be a structured person. But after I got used to working in that fashion, it became second nature to me, and like you said, is much appreciated by the leader. It also excudes a sense that the band is really tight. However, there are others in the band that cannot think as well on their feet, and get crossed up when songs are changed around.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

Can't stand frontmen who start whittering on..

Went to see Fish a few weeks back...love the guy's music, but Good God, I reckon he cut 20 minutes into music time with his jabbering on.

Really tiresome.

Get on..play....it's what people have paid for

Plus..for those frontment who babble on about politics and stuff...it should not be taken for granted that their entire audience agrees with them
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

On jazz gigs: horns and and rhythm section deciding what standard to play next.

I do agree it's a little annoying.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Sometimes I think the Ramones had it right.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM

This actually drives me completely crazy. I've actually yelled at guitar players to hurry up and get their crap together. No excuse for it really. It looks so unprofessional and gives people the impression that they don't know how to tune or work their own gear. Try this next time. Go into the four count when you're sick of waiting and when they don't start loudly ask "what the hell are you waiting for?' I've also walked out from behind the kit and sarcastically asked the guitarist if he needed help tuning his guitar. It has made for some tension but people take the time to have their gear set proper before the shows now. Guitar players, jeez!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Sometimes I think the Ramones had it right.
+ 1.....................
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Part of preparing for the show is rehearsing the show as it will be played. With all guitar changes, tuning, audience chatter, everything. In this way everything can be timed and set to make the show flow as it should. Now obviously some things will change, broken strings, etc, but if your band cant take what is practiced to the stage then there is a serious problem.

As a fan I like a minute between songs. I don't care for the one song into the next thing, I am probably in the minority, but I like each song to stand on its own.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Great opportunity for a little drum solo...... :-) Terry
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

My bands are very aware of "dead air" on stage, and even 5 seconds is an eternity. In the case of guitar/bass changeovers, the sets are constructed so that songs requiring changes are grouped together, and to keep the changes to a minimum - no more than 1 per set - those songs usually appear at the beginning or end of the set. During that change, the singer or available person at the mic acknowledges the crowd, thanks the venue, reminds the audience that we'll be back next month, stuff like that.

Of course, this really only works if the band adheres to a set list. Bands that don't are pretty obvious in their fumbling between songs, and even a drunk crowd expects a band that knows what they're doing... not guessing or discussing what's next, as if nobody's watching or caring. Or worse, that the audience is stupid and doesn't know, so the band doesn't need to be particularly organized or professional.

Every band (that wants to work) needs to maintain a certain level of professionalism all the time.

I know I bring up the word "pro" a lot in various threads, and I use it both to refer to working professionals, as well as those who conduct themselves in a professional manner. I've always found that those who behave like pros are considered pros, and that often leads to them becoming working pros. It applies when playing arenas, clubs, in rehearsal, on forums, meeting and hanging with other musicians, visiting the local music store. Truly, at any time when interacting or being seen by someone else.

So that business of too much time between songs... it's never acceptable. If someone breaks a string, doesn't have a spare instrument, and can't play the songs without all strings intact, then a short break should be called. It's better than standing around for 2 minutes while nothing is happening.

Bermuda
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

I have been playing with a classic rock band on and off for about 3 yrs. They drive me freakin crazy, no song flow. Its like they are not confident with each other and have to make sure everyone is ready before the next song. I gave them a real shock the last time I sat in, I just went from one song to the next and was not stopping. I have another gig with them next week. At rehearsal they where saying we need to be on top of things because the drummer is starting the next tune if you are ready or not. I like to play a set list that has 4 or 5 tunes back to back, and take a few moments for a drink of water while they say there plugs for the bar or whatever. When a song stops and everyone is looking at each other like they forgot there head at home, the whole band looks like a joke and kills the dance floor. You won't even get a drunk super fan.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 06-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

I generally agree that things need to move along in a professional manner, but I kind of like a short break between songs now and then to give the crowd a chance to relax and us a chance to chat them up a little. Our lead singer is often very boring with his inter song chatter (see us on facebook, buy our t-shirts, etc.) but our bass player can be very funny and I like it when he jokes around with the crowd. I see that as part of the total entertainment package. I want us to be thought of as a fun band who interacts with the audience.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 PM

This is something that really annoys me when watching other bands. My original band have rehearsed our songs in sets of two or three. These sets sometimes get move around but keeping them like this means everyones on the same page. Any guitar changes/tune ups happen around this. Obviously if a guitar has gone really out of tune we will pause to sort it but it's not normally a problem.

With my blues cover band the guitarist or bassist start songs. I don't even have a a set list but we never have trouble with long pauses between songs.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Guitar players should run through a tuning device so that they can quickly check the strings in the 30 seconds to a minute that should be between songs.

I mean, obviously, our adoring fans must have time to clap and go on about how awesome that last number was!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Technical difficulties are tough to get around.

It used to be when my singer would blabber too much in-between songs, I'd just count off the next song and everyone would follow my lead.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM

We would try to include a block of 4 or 5 songs in each set. Usually someone would count it in as soon as the previous song ended. Occasionally we would work out a transition. Some songs we knew would fill the dance floor so we would try to keep'em there with the next one.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Anthony Amodeo

while touring with All Parallels for a decade we always believed in a well calculated set that kept the show moving

all tuning spots were planned out and never happened during dead air .

and all talking happened over some sort of vamp

most songs were connected by an interlude and if there was ever a dead stop between songs it was very brief .......4 to 5 seconds tops

usually the first 3 or 4 songs would run into one another with a connecting interlude or straight in......

and usually the last two did much of the same

we were always complimented on our precise, tight, and smooth flowing sets.

that being said......this is the main reason why I love and prefer to play jazz today....

years of precise, calculated sets where every second was planned out....even the bits that looked and sounded spontaneous being rehearsed .....wore on me

but we always sounded great

we prided ourselves on being an absolutely killer live band and always gave the people more than they paid for

110% every night.....no exceptions

you can catch some of it here from our 2008 tour ....a booze driven tour I may add...hahaha

this was a live show at a recording studio in Baton Rouge LA called Building Studios

after the first song it cuts off but you can hear us slide right into the second song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjmfvklnWcg&t=5m26s

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 06-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 PM

I definitely agree. You have to keep the songs flowing. We try to keep it to short maybe 30 second breaks, but honestly they aren't normally that long. Its enough time for any clapping to finish, and for the band members to glance around and make sure nobody is completely lost. Even then I prefer shorter transitions even if we start the song while people are still clapping.

Once I went to a concert and one of the openers ( I have no idea who) droned on for literally 15 mins and only played two songs. The only thing I remember about them is that they provided a great opportunity for a bathroom break.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM

"Dead Air" has always been a pet peeve of mine. The key is agreement by all band members to minimize it, a set list order that reduces instrument switch-outs (like Bemuda said), and rehearsing the set list and the change time between songs.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I was always responsible for writing the set list. It would be written about a week before the show, and rehearsed so as to not have any dead space
Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

The one thing I hate the most at a gig is when a guitarist switches between different guitars all the time. I understand if the next song is in a different tuning, where just switching guitars could be faster than retuning your guitar, but most of the time I've seen it, it's just the egotistical guitarist wanting to show off all of his guitars. You don't see the drummer stopping between songs to switch out his rack toms or cymbals for no apparent reason.

And the tuning between every song thing! If you would invest in a decent instrument, it will easily hold tune through an entire set!

I'm primarily a guitarist, and I always bring my two prized Gibsons to every show. One to play the show with, and one as a backup, just in case I break a string or something. They're both essentially the same guitar with a different finish, so there would be no real benefit of switching to the other one, other than just to show off that I have two of them. I always tune well before we play, and it stays in tune through the end of the set. We try to have as little time between songs as possible, and a short break about halfway through the set to talk to the audience, push merch, and thank the other bands for playing.

Point is, you had better have a good reason to switch out guitars at a gig, and any instrument you plan on gigging with should at least be able to hold its tune.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
You don't see the drummer stopping between songs to switch out his rack toms or cymbals for no apparent reason.
I've heard that Lucinda Williams' drummer, Butch Norton does. Well, the cymbals anyway. I went to a Black Crowes gig a couple years ago where Steve Gorman switched ride cymbals between a couple songs. Actually, the drum tech did....

Anyway, I see your point. You just never see a drummer switch snares between songs that often. We really should though since the guitarists get to show off their gear all the time... :-)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

I saw Metallica (yes with Lars) in 94 and they played for 3 hrs without stopping. I mean no stop, ever and it was incredible. At one point, James is yelling into the crowd to "get the f#$k up" to a group that was sitting- they got up. It was really great and I went home tired.

I can handle a little time here and there but it should be less and less as the show progresses to build the energy. Political commentary is to be left to the politicians too.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Political commentary is to be left to the politicians too.
If the band's content is already charged with a political or social message, I see no problem with them expressing their views- far be it from me to censor them.

However, if it's a Ke$ha cover band playing at your local Gattiland, I can see how one could be put off by such a thing...
Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Renegade

Guitarists have wasted extraordinary amounts of my life waiting for them to tune up. I put it in the category of unavoidable problems like traffic jams, queues, and waiting for public transport. For whatever reason, life keeps dealing me guitarists who give the whammy bar a good workout so the endless tuning they do is just a recreational hazard.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Guitarists have wasted extraordinary amounts of my life waiting for them to tune up. I put it in the category of unavoidable problems like traffic jams, queues, and waiting for public transport. For whatever reason, life keeps dealing me guitarists who give the whammy bar a good workout so the endless tuning they do is just a recreational hazard.
Yup - and switching from accoustic to electric to slide to etc etc....
Old 06-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

In my band, we tend to run songs in groups of 3 or 4, so that we minimise the dead time. My pet hate is people (usually guitarists) who bugger about in the gaps, noodling away. Don't get me wrong, I hate that from anyone, drummers included, but it's usually the guitarist.

It drives me INSANE!!!! And I'm mad enough already!

Iain
Old 06-13-2013, 03:26 PM
"Uncle Larry"

As much as a show that moves along with flow is good, I also like it when a band is loose enough and relaxed on stage to custom fit the show to the night/venue/crowd. A little time in between songs, from the crowds stand point...it gives them a chance to talk without shouting.

Now mind you that's not cool when the floor is full and the band needs to slide right in to another song seamlessly. That's a cardinal sin. They want to dance, nay they NEED to dance.

My pet peeve is... calling the wrong song at a critical time. Last night we cleared half the bar out when the leader called the Grateful Dead's "Touch of Gray". The other week a gaggle of giggly 20 something chicks comes in, clearly wanting to dance and my guy called a straight up slow blues. Wrong choice. It came off as not very considerate about who was there.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My pet peeve is... calling the wrong song at a critical time. Last night we cleared half the bar out when the leader called the Grateful Dead's "Touch of Gray". The other week a gaggle of giggly 20 something chicks comes in, clearly wanting to dance and my guy called a straight up slow blues. Wrong choice. It came off as not very considerate about who was there.
That reminds me of the time we were playing Takin' Care of Business, and had people up and dancing. Then the leader calls out Stormy Monday, a really slow blues song, because he loves to sing and play it. Ugh.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM

I just addressed my bandmates about the dead air/too much chatter thing and they looked at me like I had two heads. I'd like to be able to rip out 4-6 songs in a row without dead air but my bandmates literally talk between EVERY song. I have to whisper on stage, "Ready?" before every song. I'm afraid if I start my count-off, they won't be ready!

However we do 7 songs in drop D tuning and we block them together to avoid having to tune multiple times.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
That reminds me of the time we were playing Takin' Care of Business, and had people up and dancing. Then the leader calls out Stormy Monday, a really slow blues song, because he loves to sing and play it. Ugh.
Pain felt. You really have to read the crowd. We don't do a setlist in this band. So it's mission critical to read your crowd. It's not that hard. Basically they want to dance.

Another pet peeve of mine....Educating the crowd about the song.

Yea this song is in D minor, the saddest key, and was written by a guy you never heard of named Cranky McGillis. Who friggin cares? People want to be entertained, not educated. It's better to pick on someone in the crowd. Acknowledge them. Give a deserving crowd member a bit of the spotlight. Involve your crowd, don't lecture them on the history of a song. And mentioning the key? Puh-lease.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pain felt. You really have to read the crowd. We don't do a setlist in this band. So it's mission critical to read your crowd. It's not that hard. Basically they want to dance.

Yea this song is in D minor, the saddest key, and was written by a guy you never heard of named Cranky McGillis. Who friggin cares? People want to be entertained, not educated. It's better to pick on someone in the crowd. Acknowledge them. Give a deserving crowd member a bit of the spotlight. Involve your crowd, don't lecture them on the history of a song. And mentioning the key? Puh-lease.
The only time I can understand educating the audience about a song is if it is an original tune, and there a story behind the purpose of writing the song (such as a dedication to someone). But even then , you should be able to mention that in a few seconds and get on with the tune.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
The only time I can understand educating the audience about a song is if it is an original tune, and there a story behind the purpose of writing the song (such as a dedication to someone). But even then , you should be able to mention that in a few seconds and get on with the tune.
Agree...somewhat. It has to be an entertaining story that the crowd can relate to, to warrant talking about it IMO. I see that a lot of musicians on mic take the approach of me, me, me instead of the crowd, the crowd, the crowd. We are not there to make ourselves the center of attention, we are there to make sure the audience enjoys themselves. They need to be acknowledged. To do that you have to look past yourself and see THEM. They are more important than us. Plus it makes it easy. You don't have to be clever, you just have to notice others.

Oh I wrote this when I was hung over and a hangnail I was working on ripped halfway off. I call it hangover hangnail hackjob. Who friggin cares? Sorry. Like I said, a pet peeve. Knowing the role of a front man. should be mandatory before speaking into a mic.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
In general, not a good idea. Although sometimes a little information goes a long way.

One of my bands with a devoted audience decided to play Black Keys' "Lonely Boy", which seemed like a well known, danceable song. We tried it in different sets, threw it in on the fly when the crowd was still on the dance floor, and nothing. They just weren't responding, and we were ready after 3 gigs to can it. Then it won a Grammy, and we gave it one more shot, announcing before the song that it had won a Grammy for record of the year (or whatever it was) and lo and behold, all of the people who wouldn't dance to the song before, were now up and dancing! It's been a winner ever since educating the crowd that it's a hit song.

Back to topic, in addition to adhering to a well-planned set list, another way we keep the flow is to do segues where the 2 songs make good sense together. All Summer Long into Sweet Home Alabama is an obvious one, but we've found that What I Like About You flows well into Runnin Down A Dream (among many others,) and Long Cool Woman transitions into Rock & Roll All Night really nicely. Mony Mony into Gimme Some Lovin, I'm A Believer into One Way Or Another, and even Play That Funky Music into Rebel Rebel. Such segues not only eliminate the need to deal with the time between songs, but also keep people on the dance floor.

Bermuda
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:

you hit a nerve here uncle Lar

I have literally walked out of multiple shows because this irritates me to no end

the F'n last thing I want to hear when I pay to see a band is some cat strumming the chords lightly and telling me what the song is about.....or when he wrote it....or what he wants me to do when he says a certain line......or what he is "feeling" tonight.....or if it is a cover song.....telling us the first time he heard it ....or why he loves it......STOP!!!!

for the love of god .....play the song!!!!!!

in my personal opinion...aside from a hello in the beginning and a thank you at the end .... everyone needs to shut their pie hole and play music

seriously!

in the mid 90s I went to see Jeff Buckely at Sin-e' in NYC

I was a huge Buckley fan and was really looking forward to hearing him live

he came out sounding amazing......then between every single song proceeded to tune with the rest of the band in complete silence , dry his hair with a towel , talk to the band , ask the crowd how they are doing tonight, take a drink, talk to the band some more, dry his face with the towel, check his tuning again ......

between every F'n song......like a full minute or 2 or more......between every tune

the set had no flow and it was supremely irritating

note to bands......JUST F"N PLAY!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Back to topic, in addition to adhering to a well-planned set list, another way we keep the flow is to do segues where the 2 songs make good sense together. All Summer Long into Sweet Home Alabama is an obvious one, but we've found that What I Like About You flows well into Runnin Down A Dream (among many others,) and Long Cool Woman transitions into Rock & Roll All Night really nicely. Mony Mony into Gimme Some Lovin, I'm A Believer into One Way Or Another, and even Play That Funky Music into Rebel Rebel. Such segues not only eliminate the need to deal with the time between songs, but also keep people on the dance floor.

Bermuda
This is something DJs learned long ago, but some bands just don't understand.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM

my last band drove me nuts with this. the guitarist would write the set list and then all the other members would print it out and have their 3 pieces of paper on stage, fumble with it, spread it across the floor, whatever. after EACH tune, they'd be staring at each other saying whats next. the guitar player used two different guitars, the singer would use two different acoustics, so they'd be changing around per tuning/ song. crazy. i would record the gigs to keep myself honest, and a few times added up the absolute dead space between songs and it was really sobering. i would get so antsy behind my kit because i could see the crowds energy lapse. it felt like with each tune we had restart to get the crowd back. so after getting sick of this i would just kick stuff off if they were ready of not.
we started to get gigs at some really popular places in the oc/ la area and nothing seemed to change. sloppy stage appearance, set lists everywhere, bags of cords/ stuff laying on the stage. it looked so tacky. i really tried to contact my appearance/ setup/ playing as pro as i could but it became so hard. sorry for the vent. feel better now. cheers !
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
you hit a nerve here uncle Lar

I have literally walked out of multiple shows because this irritates me to no end

the F'n last thing I want to hear when I pay to see a band is some cat strumming the chords lightly and telling me what the song is about.....or when he wrote it....or what he wants me to do when he says a certain line......or what he is "feeling" tonight.....or if it is a cover song.....telling us the first time he heard it ....or why he loves it......STOP!!!!

for the love of god .....play the song!!!!!!

in my personal opinion...aside from a hello in the beginning and a thank you at the end .... everyone needs to shut their pie hole and play music

seriously!

in the mid 90s I went to see Jeff Buckely at Sin-e' in NYC

I was a huge Buckley fan and was really looking forward to hearing him live

he came out sounding amazing......then between every single song proceeded to tune with the rest of the band in complete silence , dry his hair with a towel , talk to the band , ask the crowd how they are doing tonight, take a drink, talk to the band some more, dry his face with the towel, check his tuning again ......

between every F'n song......like a full minute or 2 or more......between every tune

the set had no flow and it was supremely irritating

note to bands......JUST F"N PLAY!!!!!!!!
I'm with you there Ant. Too many guys with a mic take it as an opportunity to showcase themselves. They are missing a whole universe of entertainment possibilities. I have no problem with guys talking on mic, as long as the crowd has a stake in it in some way. They have to care about what is being said. Picking on crowd members (Man that is some pair of shoes you have there, I just want to lick them!) involves everyone and makes the shoe wearer feel great, which makes her enjoy herself and she in turn will spread her good feeling to others. etc.

So many front people are oblivious to that. Forget yourself and focus on the others. That will get you the results you want.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdrummer View Post
my last band drove me nuts with this. the guitarist would write the set list and then all the other members would print it out and have their 3 pieces of paper on stage, fumble with it, spread it across the floor, whatever. after EACH tune, they'd be staring at each other saying whats next. the guitar player used two different guitars, the singer would use two different acoustics, so they'd be changing around per tuning/ song. crazy. i would record the gigs to keep myself honest, and a few times added up the absolute dead space between songs and it was really sobering. i would get so antsy behind my kit because i could see the crowds energy lapse. it felt like with each tune we had restart to get the crowd back. so after getting sick of this i would just kick stuff off if they were ready of not.
we started to get gigs at some really popular places in the oc/ la area and nothing seemed to change. sloppy stage appearance, set lists everywhere, bags of cords/ stuff laying on the stage. it looked so tacky. i really tried to contact my appearance/ setup/ playing as pro as i could but it became so hard. sorry for the vent. feel better now. cheers !
Wow - it sounds like you and I are in the same exact band!