DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Shot down by Mapex :(

That sucks Sticks, I know as others do on the forum how LOYAL you are to Mapex but it comes down to business is business but it is a slap in the face.

Great customer service is hard to find anymore but maybe if you keeps bugging them they may bend. as the saying goes "The squeaky hinge gets oiled first"

Good Luck,
Bonzolead
Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM

Email their reps and link them to this post.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Email their reps and link them to this post.
You're all Lost in the Supermarket, eh?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
You're all Lost in the Supermarket, eh?
Hey buddy. Your back. :) Can you expound a little on your post.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Hey buddy. I have no doubt what so ever that if I was dealing with a company like yours, this would not even be a topic. I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat here. I have more drums than anybody should. This just kind of took me back a bit. Made me remember who I was to them in the grand scheme of things. I won't loose any sleep over it. Just didn't think it was going to be a hard thing to accomplish. In my pre-medication days, I might of been on a plane to Taiwan. Look out! :)
I wasn't using your misfortune to make a point, I was simply replying to Richard.J's post when he said every drum company is all about the $.

I'm genuinely saddened by your experience, because most of us know how it feels when your efforts are not appreciated. I'd still consider bypassing the distributor & petitioning Mapex directly. & yes, a link to this thread, a few more on this forum, & your own site would paint a picture. If, after viewing all that, & they have the ability to make your drum, they come back & refuse to cooperate, even at a premuim, then you know how you're thought of.

On the harsh reality side of the discussion, if you're buying into a product that's banged out by the 1,000's, no matter how well made it is, you can't expect to receive the same accomodation as you would from a more bespoke focussed operation. Mapex kits are good value for money, & part of the reason why is down to volume batch manufacture. You have to accept that fact. Indeed the answer may be even more simple than that. Maybe they bought a job lot of ply sheet, decided to make a limited run from it, & they've run out of raw material. Just a thought.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Hey buddy. Your back. :) Can you expound a little on your post.
No, it was Algorithm's signature. It's a song by The Clash called 'Lost in the Supermarket'.

Now onto matters here. That does rather suck but sadly this can be the case with larger companies sometimes. You have invested a lot in your Mapex kits and done a lot to raise their profile here; although they seem quite capable of doing that themselves if the London Drum Show was anything to go by. The attitude you've had back is disappointing and in your situation I'd probably feel much the same. I would want them to make a special case too (wouldn't everyone?) but I do think of all the 'regular' customers Mapex have (i.e. not with artist deals) you probably deserve more a break than anyone.

So I can see why you're disappointed. Now I'm going to eat some cake.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
That is true. They will. I think I am somewhere in-between the two though. Many of the regulars on here have admitted that I kind of really opened people's eye's to the Mapex brand over the last year. I have my own web site that I talk a lot about my kits. My Monster kit has had lots of attention on many websites, and on youtube. I have spent a crap load on their product, and I could even venture to say that I probably give their product more exposure, than a lot of their smaller endorsed players, that nobody every hears about, do. The internet reaches a lot of folks. This site alone reaches many drummers around the world.
I'd also contact them directly. Several times, if necessary.

Sometimes you get lucky, and you find an employee who can be bothered to help.

I've had great luck in the past dealing with DW, then good luck with one Paiste rep, but bad luck with another Paiste rep.

Patrice
Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I wasn't using your misfortune to make a point, I was simply replying to Richard.J's post when he said every drum company is all about the $.

I'm genuinely saddened by your experience, because most of us know how it feels when your efforts are not appreciated. I'd still consider bypassing the distributor & petitioning Mapex directly. & yes, a link to this thread, a few more on this forum, & your own site would paint a picture. If, after viewing all that, & they have the ability to make your drum, they come back & refuse to cooperate, even at a premuim, then you know how you're thought of.

On the harsh reality side of the discussion, if you're buying into a product that's banged out by the 1,000's, no matter how well made it is, you can't expect to receive the same accomodation as you would from a more bespoke focussed operation. Mapex kits are good value for money, & part of the reason why is down to volume batch manufacture. You have to accept that fact. Indeed the answer may be even more simple than that. Maybe they bought a job lot of ply sheet, decided to make a limited run from it, & they've run out of raw material. Just a thought.
They have lots of material. They just introduced four new colours in the same limited edition set. I am sure they still have lots of sparkle paint and lacquer left as well. :) Big company, small person. Like I said, 3 years ago, this would not of been a problem with them. They are getting bigger, and I am getting smaller. That was a good saying. I think I will write that down. :)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
No, it was Algorithm's signature. It's a song by The Clash called 'Lost in the Supermarket'.

Now onto matters here. That does rather suck but sadly this can be the case with larger companies sometimes. You have invested a lot in your Mapex kits and done a lot to raise their profile here; although they seem quite capable of doing that themselves if the London Drum Show was anything to go by. The attitude you've had back is disappointing and in your situation I'd probably feel much the same. I would want them to make a special case too (wouldn't everyone?) but I do think of all the 'regular' customers Mapex have (i.e. not with artist deals) you probably deserve more a break than anyone.

So I can see why you're disappointed. Now I'm going to eat some cake.
Thanks buddy. Good reply! Don't eat too much. :)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Everyone who frequents this forum should send a letter to Mapex petitioning them to make this drum, citing Sticks' efforts to promote their brand.

Show me where and I'll send 'em one for ya, Sticks.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

This is really disapointing,but not unexpected.

Does Mapex even make an 8x8 tom in that ply lay up?

Not for nothing Glen,but it's not just the 14 K you personally spent on their drums. How many kits did you sell for them.?Think about it.How many posters on this forum,purchased Mapex because YOU convinced then to?.How many purchased Mapex,because of advice YOU gave on your website.?

You're personally responsible for many thousands of dollares in sales,as Mapex's unofficial ambassador.

Not even a keychain?:(

This is why companys go out of business....lack of customer service.A little OT here,but there was an article on the web,stating the same thing about Best Buy,and how their lack of customer service,and proper employee training,will be their demise

Gladstone drum will make the walnut/maple shell and get the Mapex hardware,but the finish may be problematic,but not impossible.,and not cheap.

Anyway..sorry to hear that your favorite drum company,let you down.This will bite them in the arse,a small bite,but a bite none the less.Cheers;)

Steve B.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
sticks4drums

Here is an analogy to go with my new saying. "They are getting bigger, I am getting smaller"

Think of it as buildings. A company starts out in a small shop, and the owner, or head of the company has his office on the ground floor. I am standing outside looking at his store front, and admiring his goods in the window. Say like a "Guru" company. The owner looks out his window and says hi. We chat a bit and I leave feeling good about his product. Many years pass, and I walk up to the same company, but now the building is very large. Maybe 10 stories tall. The owner no longer resides there. The man that runs the company has his office on the top floor. He looks out his window, and all he can see is a small blur on the sidewalk. He can't even talk to me anymore, because I won't be able to hear him at such a lofty location. My stature as a person in size has not changed, but the companies stature has. :(
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Personally if its all about brand loyalty than its about choosing the lesser of the evils. You cant always get what you want, whether you got the money or not. If i was going to be spending upwards of 14 k i would get the best damn 7 piece i could get. In that case i would go with DW. But i tell you what, that mapex walnut/birch set is something i have never heard nor seen, and its only 1900.00 without a snare, idk i think mapex sold me on this. I have been looking forever to find something so unique without being overpriced, thats why i was thinking of building my own kit with keller shells, but brand loyalty or not, this kit is amazing, and its a steal. I could have the same size tama that 100,000 other people have for the same amount money, or have this beauty that only 100 people have, spend the same amount of money, and have a better product...just my opinion.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
sticks4drums

8 mile, Tamadrum, KIS, Bonzolead, Mad about drums,MFB and many others. You guys are really cool. Thanks for being around. I really appreciate you guys. I like to think I make a contribution on here, if only a little. Makes me feel great. Thanks guys. Glen. ooooo, sorry no kisses! :)
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
Man, Pearl would never do that to a customer......come over to the dark side!
We have cookies!

... And carbonply custom shells.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
We have cookies!

COOKIES!!!!! :)
--------------------
Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
I think that the responses here slamming Mapex (or any other drum company for that matter) for not making a "one off" for someone are absurd. You want a custom drum? Call a custom drum company. Even more absurd is to try to justify it because some guy spends $14K worth of product from said company. No manufacturer is going to give a rats a** about some guy and his website or forum activity in terms of supposed product exposure and marketing.

There are custom manufacturers and there are off the shelf volume manufacturers. Production process,economics, accounting and sofware considerations are affected when a company has to vier off of it's SOP. This doesn't apply to just the drum industry.

I have empathy for the disappointment felt here, but, to actually think that there would be a cause and effect relationship here is ludicrous.
Well that was a little harsh, and I don't agree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion. :)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think that the responses here slamming Mapex (or any other drum company for that matter) for not making a "one off" for someone are absurd. You want a custom drum? Call a custom drum company. Even more absurd is to try to justify it because some guy spends $14K worth of product from said company. No manufacturer is going to give a rats a** about some guy and his website or forum activity in terms of supposed product exposure and marketing.

There are custom manufacturers and there are off the shelf volume manufacturers. Production process,economics, accounting and sofware considerations are affected when a company has to vier off of it's SOP. This doesn't apply to just the drum industry.

I have empathy for the disappointment felt here, but, to actually think that there would be a cause and effect relationship here is ludicrous.
Where's that "Like" button at?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:

So is part of this message saying that no matter what all of us talk about on here, or other sites, has no effect what so ever on a company. That is sad.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

You're entitled to your opinion,but I strongly disagree.Asking for a custom size or finish was,and still is SOP with all the major Anerican and Asian drum companys.Lets look at the facts,not an opinion.

Companys like Tama and Ludwig come to mind.I have an 8x6 double head tom that Tama made for me in 77.The lugs are off set,but it has the regular superstar badge,muffler,and bearing edges top and botton,stained the same as the interior,with a standard tom mount.Genuine custom made,and one of a kind.

If you frequent drum forums long enough,Ludwig will stand out as an example of a company that did lots of factory custom work.Drums turn up all the time with factory finishes that were not available at the time the drum was made. Examination of the drum reveals that it is in fact genuine.There is a famous example of this in the Beatles roof top concert.Ringo is playing a drum set that should not exist.Maple thermogloss finish was not in the catalog till the 70's.

Ludwig with still custom wrap a drum set,if you send them the wrap or lacquer you want.They will also put whatever badge you want on a drum too.

Absurd and luidicrous?I think not.I believe you may not know as much about drum companys and custom manufacturing as you think.There are countless examples of custom and one offs, if you just visit a forum ot two.I'm looking at my Tama tom that the catalogue says dosen't exist, right now.

I think you need to research your position before posting,and maybe try,not being so harsh the next time you post here.Do on to others,no?

Steve B
Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...In my pre-medication days, I might of been on a plane to Taiwan. Look out! :)
Hah! I just had this hilarious image of this angry brunet Canadian busting into a Taiwanese factory.

Factory worker: "Look out he's got drumsticks!"

Sticks: "OK! Hand over the 8" tom and no one gets hurt!"

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So is part of this message saying that no matter what all of us talk about on here, or other sites, has no effect what so ever on a company. That is sad.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain,for he knows not of what he speaks,my Canadian friend.

More than few major drum companys lurk ,and actually used to post on drum forums.They do actually pay attention to what is said there.Its free market research,and focus group feedback.How can you pass that up?

Why do you think a certain major American drum maker,is reintroducing a vintage series of drums,in traditional vintage sizes Sticks?

Coinsidence?Not on your life.:)

Steve B
Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
sticks4drums

Just remember. Without me and people like me, they don't have a company. In the beginning we are doing them a favor by buying their products. For some reason when they get bigger, they are doing us a favor. :/
Old 01-18-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Just remember. Without me and people like me, they don't have a company. In the beginning we are doing them a favor by buying their products. For some reason when they get bigger, they are doing us a favor. :/
+1

20 characters
Old 01-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Hah! I just had this hilarious image of this angry brunet Canadian busting into a Taiwanese factory.

Factory worker: "Look out he's got drumsticks!"

Sticks: "OK! Hand over the 8" tom and no one gets hurt!"
Canadian drummer holds Taiwanese factory workers hostage..............demanding tom.....protesters outside yelling Sticks for Drums !!!!!...Sticks for Drums !!!!...............news at 11 :)LMAO

Steve B
Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That is a regular Sku for Arctic White Saturn.
I have an idea for you sticks. I can't remember the shell construction of your sparkly kit- is it standard Saturn or birch/walnut? Anyhow, do they make an 8x8 in any other finish? Buy one and have it refinished by a high end custom auto painter. I'm sure they could match the finish for you. It might cost a little more, but at least you would have the kit that you want. Is the issue that the finish is no longer available/discontinued or is it just that the 8x8 isn't generally produced/available. If it's any consolation, which I'm sure it's not, we've never even seen that finish this side of the pond....
Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Earlier on in the forum I read "Email the Pres."

Well, here's an interesting story. I was NEVER a Pro-mark guy, infact... I hated the sticks! I had three pairs that broke really quickly and I bought an oak pair and they fell apart. So I emailed Rick from D'arddio and he apologized for my bad experience with the brand and offered me sticks, I get them within a day and they are now my favourite sticks!

I've been using them since August and I'd loved to get signed by them if I ever hit the road.

On the side note, Mapex do ALOT of sponsoring for drum competitions and stuff so they are a respected company and I reckon if you find the email then you can email about your issue and they will do what they can.

http://usa.mapexdrums.com/news/071404_vasko.asp

I, aswell am a proud Mapex owner (though, I own a mix of hardware. Really like Tama and Yamaha hardware). Even if the company refused to build me something then I wouldn't care, no matter how much money I spent. - they aren't a custom drum manufacturer like DW, remember that.

Some companies can't build some sizes, but what I don't understand is that I have an 8x8 Meridian Maple tom IN ROOTBEER BURST (A Saturn Finish). That kind of confuses me a little? But email the Vice-President and he could probably try and do something.

P.S. I've had my eye on some Starclassic Maples or Bubinga's, but I'd still use Mapex forever! But, I don't have the cash for whatever I want. Jobs aren't easy to find these days. :(
Old 01-18-2012, 10:25 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiainw View Post
I have an idea for you sticks. I can't remember the shell construction of your sparkly kit- is it standard Saturn or birch/walnut? Anyhow, do they make an 8x8 in any other finish? Buy one and have it refinished by a high end custom auto painter. I'm sure they could match the finish for you. It might cost a little more, but at least you would have the kit that you want. Is the issue that the finish is no longer available/discontinued or is it just that the 8x8 isn't generally produced/available. If it's any consolation, which I'm sure it's not, we've never even seen that finish this side of the pond....
The drum I am looking for is a 8 x 8 in the limited edition birch/walnut Yellow Ocher finish. They do not sku this drum, but they have made the 8 x 8 in the birch/walnut Sienna fade finish of which I was lucky to score one. I just wanted the same size drum for my Ocher setup. The do have the mold around, and the sparkly paint to make the drum. It is not going to change my world, if I don't get it. I just didn't think they would say no.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

Hey Sticks if you decide to jump ship I know a custom company just a little south of the border from you getting ready to release a pro level, all wood, lugless design, and will build any size, any depth with your choice of hoops, heads and hardware. I am willing bet they would appreciate your kind of brand loyalty more than the big name companies would. Just let me know if your interested.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The drum I am looking for is a 8 x 8 in the limited edition birch/walnut Yellow Ocher finish. They do not sku this drum, but they have made the 8 x 8 in the birch/walnut Sienna fade finish of which I was lucky to score one. I just wanted the same size drum for my Ocher setup. The do have the mold around, and the sparkly paint to make the drum. It is not going to change my world, if I don't get it. I just didn't think they would say no.
Just read that the Yellow Ochler was a limited edition finish and only a select few kits in Walnut/Birch were made. So finding the tom WOULD be a mission...
Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
Just read that the Yellow Ochler was a limited edition finish and only a select few kits in Walnut/Birch were made. So finding the tom WOULD be a mission...
It's like me going into a store and ordering a Tama Warlord Masia kit... That's not happening. Haha!
The reason why is because some kits are limited run (my Meridian Maple for example.) So they do some custom orders for 3 months after and then stop.

I had ordered the rest of my kit 2 days after the deadline for the discontinued finish, but Mapex were kind enough to make me the toms anyways. So they can't all be that bad?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
We have cookies!

I love Pearl drums. If I didn't love Ludwig more, I'd play Pearl, in a heartbeat. I've owned both Pearl and Mapex, and I can honestly say - and I'm not trying to pick a fight here - that Pearl wins in every category. Quality (perfect), looks (sexy), attention to detail (unmatched), and sound (excellent!) My Reference drums were a very close second to the Classic Maples I play now, in personal preference. If Ref. Pure had been around when I was looking at Pearl, I might never have gone back to Ludwig.

I mean this, sticksy. I'm not nearly as passionate on the brands and gear side of things, as you are, so it's just not as important to me (especially these days.) I don't have an interest in bashing or promoting any particular brand, in earnest. It's too bad Mapex won't build you a custom drum. Pearl will build you any ridonkulous, crazy-ass drum you can think up...and slap on 20 different finishes, in a leopard stripe pattern, if you so desire. Of course...it'll cost ya.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
It's like me going into a store and ordering a Tama Warlord Masia kit... That's not happening. Haha!
The reason why is because some kits are limited run (my Meridian Maple for example.) So they do some custom orders for 3 months after and then stop.

I had ordered the rest of my kit 2 days after the deadline for the discontinued finish, but Mapex were kind enough to make me the toms anyways. So they can't all be that bad?
Buddy. You are missing the point a bit here. It is not finding one that is already made, it is making one from scratch. :)
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wasn't meant to be harsh at all and certainly not harsh towards you specifically.

That's about right.

Guess reading comprehension is a bit low today, eh? Too harsh for you? Sorry. Didn't say anywhere in that post that drum companies don't do it. Gave many reasons why they will choose not to based upon many factors. How much product one has purchases or how active one is on a forum or personal website not withstanding. These requests are evaluated on an individual basis and going forward with filling any certain request is based upon differing factors. Expense is just one consideration. Read it once more if you had trouble the first time.
No..I was right the first time.You said"I think the responses slamming Mapex(or any othe drum company for that matter)for not making a "one off"for someone is adsurd.You want a custom drum?Call a custom drum company."

Justification for slamming Mapex is clearly in evidence.Other makers certainly do accomodate their clients,what not Mapex?I don't care if its problematic,take care of your customer.It was ok to take his money first,second,and third time around though.

Its certainly NOT absurd,in light of the fact that custom work,by large drum companys, is an industry standard,and not an exception,as in the case of Mapex.

Your solution is to "call a custom drum company".Hardly an enlightened response.A customer has the right to expect ,a higher level of satisfaction.He dosen't want custom drum makers drum,he wants Mapex,and that company owes its customers,a different level of customer satisfaction.What WAS ludicrous was your suggestion.

So these weren't your statements?I think maybe you should re evaluate, your way of clearly expressing your ideas.Or did I misquote you?

Your post wasn't meant to be harsh?But it was harsh.Again ..better brush up on the communication skills.When you start telling people that they are absurd,ludicrous,your post obviously comes across as something less that friendly,and maybe just a little condescending.I wasn't the only one who infered that ,in your somewhat ,brusk writing style.

My reading comprehension skills are fine thank you,and I had no trouble reading your excellent post, the first time.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 01-18-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I love Pearl drums. If I didn't love Ludwig more, I'd play Pearl, in a heartbeat. I've owned both Pearl and Mapex, and I can honestly say - and I'm not trying to pick a fight here - that Pearl wins in every category. Quality (perfect), looks (sexy), attention to detail (unmatched), and sound (excellent!) My Reference drums were a very close second to the Classic Maples I play now, in personal preference. If Ref. Pure had been around when I was looking at Pearl, I might never have gone back to Ludwig.

I mean this, sticksy. I'm not nearly as passionate on the brands and gear side of things, as you are, so it's just not as important to me (especially these days.) I don't have an interest in bashing or promoting any particular brand, in earnest. It's too bad Mapex won't build you a custom drum. Pearl will build you any ridonkulous, crazy-ass drum you can think up...and slap on 20 different finishes, in a leopard stripe pattern, if you so desire. Of course...it'll cost ya.
Pearl make great drums, just like Mapex, DW, Ludwig, especially now that they updated their stands finally, along with many other companies. You can't rate them as one being better than the other, with any factual measurement. It is all very personal. Nobody makes a drum with birch/walnut, or maple/walnut that sounds like my Saturn's. That is factual. I really didn't care who made them when I found them. All I cared about was that they sounded better than anything else to me.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Most of you know me as a pretty big Mapex Saturn promoter. I have spent in the ball park of 14 thousand dollars on their drums, and hardware. The other day I put in a request to a very strong Mapex dealer, to have an 8 x 8 tom in the yellow ocher sparkle made for me. This is not a stock size that carries a Mapex sku number. They do however have the mould to make one. I have an 8 x 8 for my burl kit that the same store got for me from Mapex, that they made a couple of for artists. Well Mapex said no, even after the Mapex USA guy explained to them, my history with the companies product. I found this a little hard to accept. Helped me realize that we have to be careful about being too brand loyal. We are just dollar signs to them. :(
That's really weird. I would think they'd do what they can to keep a customer happy, especially if you were willing to pay for it. I'm not sure if that's the way all companies do business, but I would think DW, since they're local in the US (Oxnard, CA, as a matter of fact) could crank out a special drum for a customer in a heartbeat. That's too bad.

Question: do they make an 8" tom in the series and color you were looking for? Maybe they want it to be 8x7?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

So Mapex have a new logo now....

Anyway, that does suck. I imagine for them to make a single custom tom is going to pretty inconvenient and expensive, and barely profitable. Here's one idea - I'm sure there will be times where, for a few days, their factory is making demo/prototypes/one off examples, for shows, product tests, etc. This might be a chance for them to make your tom as they aren't necessarily deviating from whatever model the factory is building at the time.

I'm assuming that's how this photo came about, found on their FB page:

Have you talked to their marketing manager Jason? He was a nice guy, I'm sure someone at his level and position could get this done for you. I talked to him on FB a while back.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
That's really weird. I would think they'd do what they can to keep a customer happy, especially if you were willing to pay for it. I'm not sure if that's the way all companies do business, but I would think DW, since they're local in the US (Oxnard, CA, as a matter of fact) could crank out a special drum for a customer in a heartbeat. That's too bad.

Question: do they make an 8" tom in the series and color you were looking for? Maybe they want it to be 8x7?
Hey buddy. I just copied and posted this from earlier on. I have typed it out a couple of times already on here. :)

Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
So Mapex have a new logo now....

Have you talked to their marketing manager Jason? He was a nice guy, I'm sure someone at his level and position could get this done for you. I talked to him on FB a while back.
The guy who did the new logo and the drums is currently detained in a mental institution under heavy sedation.... or at least he should be! Like Kettles says, I'm sure if you could get in touch with the right guy something could be done. The only non standard process would be the shell finish, I'm sure all the other components would be available to them, even the shells.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey buddy. I just copied and posted this from earlier on. I have typed it out a couple of times already on here. :)

I wonder if they woulda' said no to Gregg BIssonette.....