DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Lou Reed and Metallica song released...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg

....Well, my momma always told me if you don't have something nice to say...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Lou Reed and Metallica song released...

Hey, at least the drums sound better than St. Anger... kinda...
Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsabianguy View Post
Hey, at least the drums sound better than St. Anger... kinda...
Comparing Lou Reed to St. Anger is insulting.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
In fairness though he didn't do that.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM

I want to keep loving Metalllica......I want to keep loving Metallica.....I WANT to keep loving Metallica...........

sigh
:(
Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
This is worse than St. Anger. Really.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

I actually laugh at how stupid the lyrics are...
Metallica always have sucked to be honest.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:16 AM

Wow ... this is ... just .... wow (not even in a good way)
*shakes head in shame*
Old 09-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

They definitely do not suck .... Saw them light a stage hand on fire during a guitar solo. That is not something that sucks .

Ever hear their coors llight song?.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
They definitely do not suck ....
Yes, I remember a time (say from '83 to around '89) where they ruled the underground airwaves. The "big 4" metal bands were everything to young metalheads in my part of the world.

I agree their recent efforts aren't up to par with what came before, but nonetheless it's sad to see them totally dismissed, scorned and ridiculed these days. They were the pioneers of modern metal. No Metallica, no Maiden, no Slayer et al.....and these cats today just wouldn't sound the same.

That said, I do hope this is the last of the collaborative efforts between Lou Reed and Metallica. ;-)
Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 AM

I actually like this. Nice drums, nice riff, and James voice is sounding nice too. The only bit I dont like is the title, it keeps reminding me of the damn tv show.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Not at all into metal but I'm curious about why Lars's drumming is so ridiculed. He's not as crisp as most pro metal players but he rocks hard and his parts work with the song.

I like lots of Lou Reed music but there's nothing here for me. Sound like the guys were trying out something different. Why not try it out? Nothing to lose and you never know ...
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

I am the table!!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM

It is what it is... a ballsy, "artsy" collaboration between artists that represent two completely different genres (if not more). Given the text that led into the song in the video, I am guessing that the whole album needs a listen straight through to make any proper sorts of judgements.

Metallica has been and always will be one of my favorite bands and I applaud them for going out on a limb, even if I don't like the execution presented in this track.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Not at all into metal but I'm curious about why Lars's drumming is so ridiculed. He's not as crisp as most pro metal players but he rocks hard and his parts work with the song.

I like lots of Lou Reed music but there's nothing here for me. Sound like the guys were trying out something different. Why not try it out? Nothing to lose and you never know ...
Lars is generally good. Usually he functions great with James' rhythm guitar. His drumming on the 2nd - 4th albums in particularly was clever, and rocked, and hugely influential on metal.

But his drumming for St Anger did not work well within the songs and riffs (the most expensive and contrived attempt at sounding "garage" in history?) and he played badly at some gigs for a while. He just didn't maintain the rather basic level of chops needed and literally - at least some nights - couldn't play his own songs.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Yes, I remember a time (say from '83 to around '89) where they ruled the underground airwaves. The "big 4" metal bands were everything to young metalheads in my part of the world.

I agree their recent efforts aren't up to par with what came before, but nonetheless it's sad to see them totally dismissed, scorned and ridiculed these days. They were the pioneers of modern metal. No Metallica, no Maiden, no Slayer et al.....and these cats today just wouldn't sound the same.

That said, I do hope this is the last of the collaborative efforts between Lou Reed and Metallica. ;-)
My problem with Metallica is how they're labeled as pioneers of thrash and such... when they play at about half the speed of your average thrash band, which normally I wouldn't bring up but thrash is pretty much by definition supposed to be fast... always was, still is. The half-blasts that make up most of the drumming bled into death and black metal and gave us blast beats, but half the riffing style and composition isn't thrash in the slightest from Metallica. I'm not really a big Slayer fan, but at least Slayer used to be some pretty legitimate thrash. The style predated all of the big 4, they're simply known as that because they found a niche market and found wild popularity that propelled them to musical stardom beyond just metal. Pretty much everyone knows them even if they're not metal fans.

I tend to agree with them helping shape the foundation of metal and being an influence for a large number of bands (I think Slayer was making music before Metallica was), but even Maiden is rather unique in what they did as far as the NWOBHM stuff goes. At least the egos and jackassery of Metallica convinced Mustaine to make Megadeth...

Anyways, I feel like that since they've been ridiculed for being too commercial since the Black album and whatnot they're finally trying something different rather than trying to half-ass their "throwback" sound like they've done for the past 20-ish years... and they've achieved different, alright.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Inferno View Post
My problem with Metallica is how they're labeled as pioneers of thrash and such... when they play at about half the speed of your average thrash band, which normally I wouldn't bring up but thrash is pretty much by definition supposed to be fast... always was, still is. The half-blasts that make up most of the drumming bled into death and black metal and gave us blast beats, but half the riffing style and composition isn't thrash in the slightest from Metallica. I'm not really a big Slayer fan, but at least Slayer used to be some pretty legitimate thrash. The style predated all of the big 4, they're simply known as that because they found a niche market and found wild popularity that propelled them to musical stardom beyond just metal. Pretty much everyone knows them even if they're not metal fans.

I tend to agree with them helping shape the foundation of metal and being an influence for a large number of bands (I think Slayer was making music before Metallica was), but even Maiden is rather unique in what they did as far as the NWOBHM stuff goes. At least the egos and jackassery of Metallica convinced Mustaine to make Megadeth...

Anyways, I feel like that since they've been ridiculed for being too commercial since the Black album and whatnot they're finally trying something different rather than trying to half-ass their "throwback" sound like they've done for the past 20-ish years... and they've achieved different, alright.

i have to disagree ... kill 'em all up to ...justice were pure thrash .. look at a lot of the other bands at the time .. anthrax, exodus, testament ... most early thrash was not as fast .. slayer's 1st album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAwlm-rJuM0 .. not much faster than metallica's hit the lights, motorbreath... just throwin it out there ...

but onto that lou reed thing ... to quote llamas with hats " that was horrifying to watch"
Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

painfully horrendous.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

I loved St. Anger. It's probably my favorite Metallica tune.

Let the flaming begin.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I loved St. Anger. It's probably my favorite Metallica tune.

Let the flaming begin.
Album version or the version from the DVD (or was it a video CD) that was included with the album purchase, which had MUCH better mixing / mastering AND drum sounds?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:25 PM

I've heard artists say things like " going in a different direction" but this is rediculous. Their last album was great. They went back to their roots and done a great " Metallica album" and they follow it up with this? Sorry but i just don't get it.

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM
sticks4drums

I just watched the St Anger video. I got half way through, and had to stop. Sorry, don't get it.
What snare is he playing on St Anger. I want to make sure I never buy one. :)
I think I have 2 of Metalica's songs. Just way too repetitive for me.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, but that's a horrible combination of music and lyrics. Regarding Metallica being an influential metal band, I think you need to consider bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest that paved the way for them.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlorde View Post
i have to disagree ... kill 'em all up to ...justice were pure thrash .. look at a lot of the other bands at the time .. anthrax, exodus, testament ... most early thrash was not as fast .. slayer's 1st album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAwlm-rJuM0 .. not much faster than metallica's hit the lights, motorbreath... just throwin it out there ...

but onto that lou reed thing ... to quote llamas with hats " that was horrifying to watch"
Exodus and Testament and all those guys were significantly faster than Metallica's ever been, even in their early days. Slayer was too, as monotonous as I find them... But now we're arguing tempo and that's rather pointless.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
Regarding Metallica being an influential metal band, I think you need to consider bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest that paved the way for them.
Couldn't agree more....everyone follows on from what came before them.....what else can you do?

But by the same account, I've never heard the term "thrash metal" attributed to either Priest or Sabbath. Whereas Metallica were at the forefront of thrash metal at a time when that term started to emerge into the limelight. They were indeed pioneers of the genre (along with the rest of "the big four"....with honourable mentions also going to bands like Venom and any number of German/European based thrashers like Kreator et al).

When I was listening intently in the mid 80's....they were all branded "thrash metal".....not by the mainstream press.....there was no such thing......all this was still very much underground. Radio airplay for anything branded "metal" didn't come until a few years later (at least here in Oz). Surely those facts aren't being disputed 25 years after the fact? If they are, then it goes back to my original post.....it's a sad shame to see their contribution diminished all these years later by followers of bands that quite honestly, wouldn't be the same today if they hadn't sat up and taken notice of what came before them in the first place.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I just watched the St Anger video. I got half way through, and had to stop. Sorry, don't get it.
What snare is he playing on St Anger. I want to make sure I never buy one. :)
I think I have 2 of Metalica's songs. Just way too repetitive for me.
I can't get all the way through any of Metallica's songs apart from Nothing Else Matters (great track). Love him or hate him, Lars rocks in St Anger IMO - and I like his wicked, trashy snare sound too!

I don't get why people who like heavy music dis Lars for that track. Fussy fussy :)
Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I can't get all the way through any of Metallica's songs apart from Nothing Else Matters (great track). Love him or hate him, Lars rocks in St Anger IMO - and I like his wicked, trashy snare sound too!

I don't get why people who like heavy music dis Lars for that track. Fussy fussy :)
That snare is exactly what I try and avoid in sound for my snares. :) Nothing Else Matters is one of the songs I like of theirs also. Just wish the sound would go a little farther in the chorus. I really like big changes in songs.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That snare is exactly what I try and avoid in sound for my snares. :)
Oh, I've been listening to Gadd and Marotta and Bruford and Purdie and Bonzo and Paice and Cozy - all these guys with slick sounding snares since forever (and yes, Neil has a slick snare sound too) ... and I think I'm just about slicked out. Lars thrashing away at that trashy snare is fun in the right dose.

It's not you, it's me :)
Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
sticks4drums

Funny I seem to be going backwards in my old age. I am learning to better embrace the fact that there are different tastes out there to mine, and that is ok. Doesn't mean I have to like them, just means that it is cool that someone does. :)
Old 10-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Funny I seem to be going backwards in my old age. I am learning to better embrace the fact that there are different tastes out there to mine, and that is ok. Doesn't mean I have to like them, just means that it is cool that someone does. :)
So they can teach old dogs new tricks? ;)
Old 10-06-2011, 06:22 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
So they can teach old dogs new tricks? ;)
I sure hope so in my case anyways. I still have lots I want to change. :)