DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

Default It's official, Dave Lombardo is with Ludwig.

I just got off facebook, and on Dave's page he is officially with Ludwig now, and not for endorsements.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Its official, Dave Lombardo is with Ludwig.

For some reason I find this very exciting! I play Ludwig drums myself, and am a big fan of Dave's. And I play mostly metal at the moment. These are probably all reasons.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I think he realised that Ddrum wasn't going to offer him what he wanted. I like Dave Lombardo and hope that his relationship with Ludwig is productive.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Also, doesn't that kit look cool? I can't think of many other metal drummers who play Ludwigs, and there's something really unique and interesting about seeing him behind a kit of theirs.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Another DDrum artist moves on after only a short time.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

HHHHMMMMM I wonder why?

Steve B
Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have to add that set to the Tom Angles page. Wow.....
Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 AM

about time he left ddrum. I'm sorry but i don't understand why anyone would play their kits there horrible.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

I remember when he was driving Tama. Why he left them, for Ddrum (?) ... I'll never know ... but it kinda stands to figure he didn't stay with them for too long. Now that he's a Ludwig man, he'll probably stay one, for the rest of his life.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Why do rock drummers' promo photos always look like they want to start a fight? This whole macho-man thing is such a crock...
Old 09-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

I swear if I was a renowned rock drummer, I'd never put on ANY facial expression other than my 'normal' (=and, honestly, boring) one. I don't know why most seem to like keeping this attitude cliche up, personally I consider it extremely ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
I swear if I was a renowned rock drummer, I'd never put on ANY facial expression other than my 'normal' (=and, honestly, boring) one
Maybe that's why you're not a renowned rock drummer? ;-)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Songs View Post
Why do rock drummers' promo photos always look like they want to start a fight? This whole macho-man thing is such a crock...
This one isn't an especially macho photo, is it? He's just peering out from behind his kit with some rather unfavourable lighting. I've often thought he looked fairly mild-mannered and friendly in all the photos I've seen of him, surprisingly so considering he's in Slayer, and that's hardly what their brand is built on.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post

and not for endorsements.
Not sure I understand that bit. Can you clarify please?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Maybe that's why you're not a renowned rock drummer? ;-)
Haha - you're spot on. Must be 1 out of 1,000,000 reasons.

But hey, we all started out. I heard that there was a time when Lombardo, being a respected and technical drummer, was in the studio and a guy named Gene Hoglan gave him some good advice on doublebass, haha.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
This one isn't an especially macho photo, is it? He's just peering out from behind his kit with some rather unfavourable lighting. I've often thought he looked fairly mild-mannered and friendly in all the photos I've seen of him, surprisingly so considering he's in Slayer, and that's hardly what their brand is built on.
The photo's not giving me a friendly, nice-to-see you and by the way my names Dave kinda vibe... But as you say he's in a band called 'Slayer' - I just find all this macho posturing ridiculous especially from musicians who typically, at the slightest hint of a fight and risk of damage to their hands, run for the door (very sensibly).
Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Thrash metal not really your thing, I take it?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Dave Lombardo has always been one of my favourites. There - I said it. I remember being a teenager and listening to a lot of Slayer. I don't think he has anything to prove to anyone, he is simply one of the most influential players ever to have lived. He is to metal as important as Elvin Jones is to modern jazz - and I love Elvin Jones too.

So I'll give him a free ride on the 'Ddrum Incident'. He was with Tama for the best part of twenty-five years and hopefully he'll help propel Ludwig forward as a company. He really is a very important player regardless of your opinions on the music and he's far better than the majority of his early metal peers.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Hey, look what I've found...not just Ludwigs but Vistalites too!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Thrash metal not really your thing, I take it?
You've found me out... True there isn't a great deal of thrash metal in my record collection : - ).

But here's a semi-serious point. Part of the reason why I don't go out and buy thrash metal (I should - there is some amazing technical mastery on display by drummers and other musicians) is that I can't get past the aggressive and macho image. It implicitly at least advocates violence and misanthropy. It isn't just metal of course - if anything contemporary rap artists are worse in that misogyny and homophobia are often added to the brand. I would never buy a record (and thereby add some minor level of support) to an artist who described women as 'hoes' or 'bitches' or advocated killing gays. I'm too sensitive I'm sure and shouldn't take all this at all seriously. Feel free to flame.

I might start a thread on this if I can be bothered. Which I probably can't.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey, look what I've found...not just Ludwigs but Vistalites too!
That's not his kit though. All the drummers who were part of The Groove Remains The Same played on the same kit, which was a John Bonham replica kit.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
That's not his kit though. All the drummers who were part of The Groove Remains The Same played on the same kit, which was a John Bonham replica kit.
Yes, I know, it was just an excuse to post the video!

Quote:
You've found me out... True there isn't a great deal of thrash metal in my record collection : - ).

But here's a semi-serious point. Part of the reason why I don't go out and buy thrash metal (I should - there is some amazing technical mastery on display by drummers and other musicians) is that I can't get past the aggressive and macho image. It implicitly at least advocates violence and misanthropy. It isn't just metal of course - if anything contemporary rap artists are worse in that misogyny and homophobia are often added to the brand. I would never buy a record (and thereby add some minor level of support) to an artist who described women as 'hoes' or 'bitches' or advocated killing gays. I'm too sensitive I'm sure and shouldn't take all this at all seriously. Feel free to flame.

With this in mind, isn't it interesting that metal fans tend to be (at least in my experience) very friendly people with an interest in helping others and generally being...nice? Often much more so than other groups of people united by a genre of music.
Certainly in Europe I get the impression that most people are in on the joke...because it isn't taken totally seriously by anyone except for a few extreme fringe elements, which is true in anything. Slayer certainly don't take what they do that seriously from what I've seen. Perhaps this can be explained thus...metal that uses violent imagery is commenting, by and large, (consciously or unconsciously) on the undeniable violence, isolation, and inequality of life in the 21st century...not condoning it. To suggest that it implicitly advocates it simply by mentioning it seems to me a logically unsound argument.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I've spent a lot of time with the 'metal' crowd. Played in bands, gone out drinking with, went to college with even.

What Ben says is absolutely true. Very few metal fans (and indeed bands) take what they do seriously. Most of them know it's ridiculous, most of them know how funny it is. They're in on the joke and although the joke isn't funny it starts being funny when people take it very seriously.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know, it was just an excuse to post the video!

With this in mind, isn't it interesting that metal fans tend to be (at least in my experience) very friendly people with an interest in helping others and generally being...nice? Often much more so than other groups of people united by a genre of music.
Certainly in Europe I get the impression that most people are in on the joke...because it isn't taken totally seriously by anyone except for a few extreme fringe elements, which is true in anything. Slayer certainly don't take what they do that seriously from what I've seen. Perhaps this can be explained thus...metal that uses violent imagery is commenting, by and large, (consciously or unconsciously) on the undeniable violence, isolation, and inequality of life in the 21st century...not condoning it. To suggest that it implicitly advocates it simply by mentioning it seems to me a logically unsound argument.
Fair point - the problem with irony is that some people see the ironic use and others miss it and treat it literally - the old Alf Garnett as object of ridicule or worship type thing.

Lacking sophistication as I do I tend to fall into the second camp which as you say leads me to make unfounded assertions about the 'message' in thrash metal. It never occurred to me that the name 'Slayer' was being used ironically which is foolish of me because there is a very long pedigree of bands deliberately adopting ironic names (including of course 'Led Zeppelin').
Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Fair point - the problem with irony is that some people see the ironic use and others miss it and treat it literally - the old Alf Garnett as object of ridicule or worship type thing.

Lacking sophistication as I do I tend to fall into the second camp which as you say leads me to make unfounded assertions about the 'message' in thrash metal. It never occurred to me that the name 'Slayer' was being used ironically which is foolish of me because there is a very long pedigree of bands deliberately adopting ironic names (including of course 'Led Zeppelin').
There's not much that's ironic about Slayer's name or attitude. It's not "SERIOUS MESSAGE!!!" band, but not really ironic. They don't really advocate using dead people's faces as masks but they're not trying to satirise and deconstruct Ed Gein either. They're just telling stories and relaying the grotesque, because people in general, including them, have a fascination with horrible things. They have fun and let off steam. It's just another way of telling creepy horror stories (that may be true or not!) and ghost tales around a campfire. Well. Sorta-ish...

Last edited by Duckenheimer; 09-02-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckenheimer View Post
There's not much that's ironic about Slayer's name or attitude. It's not "SERIOUS MESSAGE!!!" band, but not really ironic. They don't really advocate using dead people's faces as masks but they're not trying to satirise and deconstruct Ed Gein either. They're just telling stories and relaying the grotesque, because people in general, including them, have a fascination with horrible things. They have fun and let off steam. It's just another way of telling creepy horror stories (that may be true or not!) and ghost tales around a campfire. Well. Sorta-ish...
This is all really confusing :-) Bottom line - is it OK if I laugh at their image (as long as I take their music seriously)?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

You can laugh at both, I think they do themselves. I certainly used to, I thought Angel of Death was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard when I first heard it...but over time, coupled with appreciation of the technical side of it, I just plain liked listening to it. Same thing happened for me with Rhapsody of Fire, although the ridiculous aspect is obviously quite different...
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
This is all really confusing :-) Bottom line - is it OK if I laugh at their image (as long as I take their music seriously)?
What's confusing? You don't have to take any of it seriously and can laugh at what you like. But these guys are not advocating violence and purchasing their CD's is not funding the advocacy of violence. Do you take a good straightforward horror movie seriously, or just laugh at it; or just enjoy the ride?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckenheimer View Post
You don't have to take any of it seriously and can laugh at what you like. But these guys are not advocating violence and purchasing their CD's is not funding the advocacy of violence. Do you take a good straightforward horror movie seriously, or just laugh at it; or just enjoy the ride?
You are going to think I'm soft - but I don't watch or like horror films. I suppose it's a manifestation of the same thing - I just get really disturbed (upset) by the portrayal of acts of violence. I was one of those kids who hid behind the sofa during Dr Who (the cybermen - they were f**king terrifying).

For what it's worth, from what I've heard of Slayer they are musicians in the first rank and their arrangements are nuanced and beautifully executed.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You are going to think I'm soft - but I don't watch or like horror films. I suppose it's a manifestation of the same thing - I just get really disturbed (upset) by the portrayal of acts of violence. I was one of those kids who hid behind the sofa during Dr Who (the cybermen - they were f**king terrifying).

For what it's worth, from what I've heard of Slayer they are musicians in the first rank and their arrangements are nuanced and beautifully executed.
Nah that's cool, each to his own on matters of taste.

They are a great band and Lombardo is one helluva drummer.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Ironically you look kinda spooky in your avatar because of the lighting! From what I can make out you remind me of Spock a little bit from Star Trek :-)
Old 09-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Ironically you look kinda spooky in your avatar because of the lighting! From what I can make out you remind me of Spock a little bit from Star Trek :-)
Live long and prosper dude.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Returning to the topic, I assume this is Dave playing his new Ludwigs. I must say he's playing better than ever these days, when I saw them in Slovenia earlier this year I noticed lots of new flourishes in his playing, little drum & bass-type elements that he didn't use to do...it's very interesting, I think it sounds great.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I was going to reply to this about how not all metal is like this... But after a quick scan through my iPod I only came up with 1, maybe 2 examples, so nevermind :)

Well... you may want to check out Cynic... and possibly Gojira.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

There's loads of metal that isn't like that if you look at power and folk metal. I myself am in two bands that sing (implicitly or otherwise) about dragons and swords and wizards and things like that. But it's definitely still metal. We aren't condoning swords or the use of magic to harm people, but we are highlighting the issues for other people to think about it.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 PM

I just want to say that I never intended to troll but re-reading the thread I think that has been the effect - sorry.

Do any of your songs mention taking swords to trolls?
Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

No trollishness detected here. It's good to discuss these things!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just want to say that I never intended to troll but re-reading the thread I think that has been the effect - sorry.

Do any of your songs mention taking swords to trolls?
I love metal. But I also totally agree with what you said... The image can be cheesy, but like what was said above, you don't take that part of it too seriously.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Slayer are just doing what Black Sabbath did before them...making scary music because people like scary things. Just like horror films. If you enjoy it, mission accomplished. If it makes you uncomfortable, secondary objectives achieved!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Not sure I understand that bit. Can you clarify please?
A quote from Dave Lombardos facebook page

"Ludwig is "Not" paying me any money to play their drums. I'm playing them because i liked what i heard."

I imagine they give him a real good price break on drums though, lol

Last edited by zarrdoss; 09-02-2011 at 09:09 PM.