DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Default Newbie(ish) here, need some advice!

Hi all.

I've always had a pretty decent sense of rhythm and have always found it easy to pick out different drums when listening to music, and have been able to 'air drum' along to tracks reasonably well. I used to play when i was younger but took up guitar instead.

I realised recently that i should give playing another go, as it comes quite naturally to me. I have recently acquired a practice pad and my instinct was right - the rudiments are coming quite naturally to me.

Now, my question. Obviously being able to kick an invisible drum whilst making the movements with my arms is going to be totally different to playing on a real kit. The issue is, i only have limited time to play on a proper kit each week as i'm at Uni and my Music block only has one kit. Will practising my rudiments on the practice pad help me when it comes to playing on the proper kit? Obviously it will help somewhat i think, but is it going to translate onto a real kit, or will i need to practice everything all over again on the real thing? This might seem like a stupid question, and i can't think of the words to correctly describe what i mean so hopefully someone will get me! Thanks, Phil.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Crazy8s

Default Re: Newbie(ish) here, need some advice!

Yes, playing rudiments on a practice pad will definitely carry over to the kit. You might consider an electronic kit for your room so that you can practice whenever you want. You can find good used Yamaha and Roland e-kits for $500 or less if you check ebay or your local classifieds.

Welcome to the world of drums...again! :)
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Thanks mate - drums and piano always came very naturally to me but guitar is a real struggle - to keep my chops up i have to play at least 2 hours a day every day, and the actual practice side of it is a pain - drums are not. I drum when i'm doing nothing, i air drum when i'm listening to music, i air drum when there's no music on, i just love it.

I'm planning on putting enough hours in over the next 2/3 years whilst at uni to be able to take some sort of grades in the UK to become proficient enough to teach.

Thanks for the advice on the electronic kits, i'd love one but aside from borrowing some money off someone i'm skint at the mo!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

95% of my practice time is spent on a pad(s). I can't have a kit set up all the time either. That's soon to change, but for now the pad is all I have between jam sessions on the kit.

Short answer, yes it'll help. It'll help a bunch. It can take a little bit of work to transpose from the pad to the kit, in that, it can feel a little weird separating your hands. It's nothing major and may just entail slowing it down a little in order to "feel" it, but it's not like you have to totally re-learn anything as you've already put in the time on the pad. To help maintain that feeling of being able to move my hands around, I've actually set up a couple of pads in order to try and somewhat replicate a kit. Worth a try.

In any case, pad time is an excellent alternative to no practice at all.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the advice ^

You hit the nail on the head as far as what i was asking. I knew obviously pad time is better than no time at all but i was worried how it would translate over to the kit. The multi-pad thing may be an option for me to consider when i have a bit more money too. Cheers for the help, you guys all seem pretty friendly!

EDIT: Just one question - you know you said you spend 95% practising on the pads, is that purely rudiment training or is there other stuff you can incorporate into that?

Last edited by \o/; 11-12-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by \o/ View Post
EDIT: Just one question - you know you said you spend 95% practising on the pads, is that purely rudiment training or is there other stuff you can incorporate into that?
Yes mate....lots of rudiments.....but I don't just stop there. I also have a kick practice pad set up as well, so I go through any beats, grooves, fills, patterns that I feel the need to.

Generally, I'll spend an hour or so at my "pad practice station" working on all the things I just listed (I pretty much try to pretend that I'm actually on a kit, so practice accordingly). After that I can be found on the couch on front of the telly with a pad in my lap and that is pretty much just working on rudiments and combinations, various drills, isolating my left hand etc etc......drives Mrs Pocket spare listening to a constant tap, tap, tap, whilst she's trying to watch tv. :-)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Yes mate....lots of rudiments.....but I don't just stop there. I also have a kick practice pad set up as well, so I go through any beats, grooves, fills, patterns that I feel the need to.

Generally, I'll spend an hour or so at my "pad practice station" working on all the things I just listed (I pretty much try to pretend that I'm actually on a kit, so practice accordingly). After that I can be found on the couch on front of the telly with a pad in my lap and that is pretty much just working on rudiments and combinations, various drills, isolating my left hand etc etc......drives Mrs Pocket spare listening to a constant tap, tap, tap, whilst she's trying to watch tv. :-)
Cheers dude, i've been practising the fundamentals all night and it's already beginning to feel like my hands are synching up somewhat....if all else fails with getting a kit i'll fashion one out of something, i think the most important thing is to get the feel of the groove going. Even though it could take a bit of time to translate it over to an actual kit it's not like i will suddenly not be able to do it.....i hope!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

If E-kits are out of reach, look to see if you can't at least buy a kick practice stand and a pedal to incorporate into your practice time. You will need that right foot to know its business later.

I actually have one by Mapex, Promark sells a similar one (bass pedal not included): http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...duct_900229020

If you can scrape together less than 200 bucks, this little baby can be yours (alparrott recommended, I own one): http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...duct_900000183

Good luck, and don't lose hope!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM

^ Once again thanks for the help - you're all very helpful!

I had my first go on a proper kit since yeeeeeeeears ago today and it went pretty well, most of my rhythm is still there and it didn't take too long to get everything synched up.

I was surprised that pressing down on the hat pedal closed it - i'm sure i've played one where pressing down opened it up, but that could just be an invented childhood memory!

I have another question though - rather than randomly trying to think up rhythms and play them, what would be a more economical use of my time on the real kit? I was thinking in addition to the many hours of paradiddles/rudiments i do every day on the practice pad, maybe my time on the real kit should be something like:

Warm up (Rudiments etc)
Focussing on technique (where i'm hitting, dynamics, hi-hat techniques etc)
Sight-reading rhythms gathered from lesson sites
Sight-reading actual songs

All done to a metronome and without music on as backing - i'm eager to get playing as well as having correct technique. Would incorporating the sight-reading of songs into the session be a good use of time? Another stupid question i know, but one that i'm sure can be helpfully answered again!

Cheers! And PS my ears are hurting =D
Old 11-13-2010, 05:42 AM

Practicing on a single pad can be VERY beneficial, especially in your situation.

If you're looking for exercise an book to practice, Joe Morello's Master Studies is a fantastic book that you can play through on a single pad. When you get comfortable with the book on the pad, he provides examples as to how you can practice the exercises on the kit. The exercises in that book will work your accents, taps, endurance, technique, chops, timing, and flow. It is an excellent book all around.