DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Band broke apart and forfeited $400.00

This is too funny! I have to post this. Talk about stupidity!

I was playing with a band since last June. Three guitars and me on drums. We did pretty good, had some good origianals and played popular Texas rock covers and made some money gigging locally. Not enough to pay the bills, but some extra scratch nonetheless.

We had a big outdoor festival we were supposed to play at on Friday April 30th for 1 1/2 hours and the band would get $400.00, a prime-time performance spot and possible local radio coverage. The contract was already signed and the festival's booking agent was very pleased with our band's sound. We were ready and anticipating a good time. (I got us the gig, by the way.)

Somewhere between our last gig on April 10th and April 25th two guitar players decided I didn't "fit" in with the band and told the other guitar player they were going to fire me. It didn't set well with him, but there was not a whole lot he could do. April 25th we had a "band meeting" to discuss upcoming gigs. It was really a guise to fire me in public at a local bar we decided to meet at. They dropped the bomb, I got pissed, but left without incident.

More than two months pass. My fiance is still friends with the the third guitar player's girlfriend - the one who wanted no part of my firing. She sent a message to my finance on Facebook last night wanting to talk. Since we are living together now to share expenses before the wedding, I was right there when she called. After a 30 minute chat we were both laughing our butts off.

It turns out they fired me a week before our $400 festival gig and couldn't find another drummer in time, never played, so they forfeited the $400!! And they haven't played or gigged since. They broke apart and disolved!!

Yeah, I'm feeling victorious now!! Haha!!! Serves them right! And get this, the guitar player and his girlfriend thought I was doing a good job and liked my playing. They couldn't understand why the other two wanted me gone.

Too funny!!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
TFITTING942

Default Re: Band broke apart and forfeited $400.00

thats messed up. You just never know what people think of you.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:16 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I thought they canned you because they wanted to slide their friend in, a political decision. Am I mistaken?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Pretty lame to can you without someone in the wings..No its Dumb.........
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

I thought they canned you because they wanted to slide their friend in, a political decision. Am I mistaken?

Larryace I've heard different reasons from different people: 1) the bass player wanted his buddy from another band in our band, 2) I didn't have experience for the "bigger" gigs (funny...neither did they), 3) I didn't have the right "look", and 4) they wanted to learn and play more covers. Not sure how this caused me to get canned since I suggested several covers to play and they liked the ideas....

Not sure if I'll ever know the true reason or reasons, but I've heard several people loosely associated with the band were PO'd when they fired me.

What is also funny is they were scheduled to play another outdoor festival the next day in another city not far away where "they had agents and other people coming to hear the band play". They never played that one either. And all the bars and other venues we played at have told me face to face they haven't seen them since I played with them last. At least one bar owner has asked me what happened because he wanted us back.

Nobody has heard from the two guitar players who wanted me gone. The other one who liked my playing is trying to find another band to play in, according to his girlfriend. LOL
Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

The usual crap shoot of band ego driven delusional decision making. Shame you were on the receiving end of it. Have you got another band?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

My God what is the point surely if someone is doing a good enough job you don't fire them. Still I found the story entertaining cause I would find it equally as funny if that is what happened to me.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM

That is rather entertaining. It sucks you were shafted like that, but it's cool you acted calm about it because they got what they deserved in the end. Maybe you and the guitarist you are still friends with should start a band.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

Wow.

Just, wow.

It seems like they didn't even have a legitimate reason to fire you. I wouldn't have been surprised if you had blown up at them when they delivered the news. Aren't you bitter at least somewhat?

You should get together with that guitarist who wanted you to stay. Certainly you could work something out with him.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

thats good news! I love it when bad things happen to bad people.

The only band I got fired from went on a string of unreliable drummers, and it took them 5 years to finish the follow up l/p after I left the band. Every single song on the l/p was written when I was still in the band. They just rerecorded everything. The cd finally came out as a posthumous release and I'm pretty sure the singer has cases of the cd in his house, I doubt they sold more than 200 copies.

2 of those guys have completely given up music, and the bass player is playing in a mexican restaurant for tips!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
[i]
What is also funny is they were scheduled to play another outdoor festival the next day in another city not far away where "they had agents and other people coming to hear the band play". They never played that one either. And all the bars and other venues we played at have told me face to face they haven't seen them since I played with them last. At least one bar owner has asked me what happened because he wanted us back.
didn't you predict all this would happen in your original thread about this ugly incident? it must be satisfying to see those d-bags wallowing around going nowhere.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 AM

Karma's a bitch

Glad they collapsed............they didn't deserve any kind of success
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spides666 View Post
Karma's a bitch

Glad they collapsed............they didn't deserve any kind of success
Well, Pete Best was a big draw for the Beatles (girls LOVED him), and they canned him without much warning, too, right before their recording session for Please Please Me. That's kind of a d-bag move as well. They got a LOT of flack for that at their shows immediately following. Looks like karma looked the other way on THAT one!

Glad to hear that you're okay, rogue. Sorry that happened to you, but I think that they probably didn't learn their lesson. They don't seem like the kind that would...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Band broke apart and forfeited $400.00 - story continues

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! This story continues:

After my finance spoke with the girlfriend of the guitar player who wanted me to stay and liked my playing, I emailed him a few days ago and asked how his new job was going and how he and the mrs. were doing. Here's his email, unedited except for names:

Things are going good on both fronts. I heard you're getting married again! We would love to attend if it's okay? I hope things are going well for you on all around. I'm glad you sent me an email because I never got to add my opinion on the BRLW situation. Between us, I have felt awful about what D**** and R*** did. I feel like R*** was acting like a premadonna, and my opinion of his character has since then shifted. To add insult to injury he hasn't even made one attempt to practice ALL SUMMER and as we both know he needs it. The situation hasn't ever sat right with me, but I was out voted. I have given up all hope that the band will be working still and am moving on to other bands. Nothing has stuck yet. I hope your other band is doing well, and would like to still do music with you. T***** and I have been talking about starting a blues band, but time will tell. I might even wanna restart the old band with new members... Call it the big whiskey band I guess. Afterall, I own the pa and have all the other gear needed. And the humble attitude with positive disposition. The way that stuff went down has been eating at me all summer and I'm glad that you were able to be the bigger man and shoot me an email. It was great to hear from you, don't be a stranger!

C****

It would be great to get together again and play music since he's a fine guitar player and good singer. This is starting to look positive agian.

Thanks again everybody for the kind words and encouragement.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

this is sounding good. he's got a PA and he sings. all you need is a bass player and maybe a second guitar or keyboard player and you're set!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Looks like karma looked the other way on THAT one!
It was a terrible act but I bet if you could speak to John Lennon he'd possibly disagree with that........... ; - )
Old 07-30-2010, 02:03 AM

Man Rouge you should be hooking up with this guys again for sure

Nice he came back with such a positive e-mail..........there the kind of guys to do bands with
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Hilarious and heartwarming story!