DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 AM

Default Stick keeps moving around in traditional, tips?

I've just started practicing exclusively in traditional instead of matched, and I've found that one of the first problems that I've Found is the stick moving around the fulcrum as I'm playing. It sometimes gets so bad I have to stop playing to reposition the stick. Are there any traditional players that can give any tips as to how I can rectify this problem? I also find that Unless I open my hand up I get next to no bounce when using traditional with my fingers resting on the stick. Anyone know how I can improve this?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 AM
wy yung

Default Re: Stick keeps moving around in traditional, tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemic View Post
I also find that Unless I open my hand up I get next to no bounce when using traditional with my fingers resting on the stick. Anyone know how I can improve this?
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/ar...selsgrip2.html
Old 05-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemic View Post
I've just started practicing exclusively in traditional instead of matched, and I've found that one of the first problems that I've Found is the stick moving around the fulcrum as I'm playing. It sometimes gets so bad I have to stop playing to reposition the stick. Are there any traditional players that can give any tips as to how I can rectify this problem? I also find that Unless I open my hand up I get next to no bounce when using traditional with my fingers resting on the stick. Anyone know how I can improve this?
it will take about a year to feel comfortable. it will come tho as long as you use it. a good thing to practice is bouncing the stick with your thumb while your hand is open then start closing your grip and bouncing, then use your thumb and wrist at the same time, then go to the fingers.

and make sure your grip is correct, very important!

check out jojo's dvd
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the tips, they completely fixed my problem. My current problem now though is continuing to practice in traditional vs. practicing in matched. Since I don't have a drum teacher and can't have access to one for a while I'm stuck learning how to play in traditional exclusively from looking around on the internet. I still for the life of me can't get my stick to bounce so I can play doubles. So far I can only do them if I treat the double as a single, that is using my wrist for each stroke. I've also noticed that my performance in just about everything has gone down a couple of notches, but really the double stroke roll takes the cake.

As a guy that's been playing for less than a year would you say it's more beneficial for me to continue learning matched and maybe 2-3 years down the road when my playing is more 'together' I can begin learning to play traditional? Or is it still beneficial for me to learn it now? I love the feel of traditional, but would learning it now cause me to get better at a far slower rate than doing it when I'm already competent in my playing?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

Stick with matched. You should really have a teacher to get the correct grip and stroke of the traditional grip. Looking at the internet and at dvd's really won't do it.