DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Stepping Up to the Bigtime

Hey guys- need some advice concerning what to expect from bigger venues.

My band currently plays smallish venues to 50-150 people etc. Usual bar scene.

We have a slot on a College Festival coming up at the end of the Month which will be outdoor with full rigging etc and a 'proper' stage- if that makes sense.

This is not really 'What should I expect from my first gig?' type question- more just advise from anyone out there that has played on a bigger scale and anything I should expect from the difference from bar to basically big-time stage.

They are expecting around 20000-30000 people there during the 5 hour event- so it is possible that we could have 2000-3000 bothering to watch us. Also we could have 1 person!!!!! haha

Just looking for anything unexpected I could look forward when dealing with a large open stage with full pro PA etc
Old 04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stepping Up to the Bigtime

Good monitoring.
Make sure you can hear yourself with the others well. Takes a awhile to get the drums right in big venues ( especially outdoors. Be patient, and work with the sound guys).
Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Yes- can be really good buzz- well done!
A few points come up- first port your front head- or the sound guy will want the head off or want to hack a hole in it for mikes.
Make sure you can hear well- insist on a full test if you can before your set.
Also watch what you say on stage...your every word will come across the PA!
Part from that- have fun and enjoy mate- I wish you the best of luck!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Make sure you bring plenty of liquids on stage and get one of those big fan thingies pointed at you as well. You can heat up a lot doing drumming at festivals.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Sound check well, make sure everything is in place and sound good. Have someone else play your drums and go stand out by the soundboard or in a distance and see if it all sounds and looks good.
If you got any pyro, please for the love of god it's all good, safe, and checked out. We don't need another Whitesnake/James of Metallica accident again.

And when your on, try to keep them entertained between songs, so people who are listening keep listening and the people who aren't might pay attention. Don't bore them.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks guys,

I already have my bass ported- plus I dont know yet if I'm using my kit or one from the college already mic'd etc-

Plus we have our own sound-gal but we imagine they will have their own people running the sound boards- we just dont have all the info yet.

We have played in bars- we know the usual having to fight off the drunks who seem to think my kit is a public toy for their amusement or the drunk who knocker over our PA speaker snapping the pole in 2!

We have that experience- we are just lacking the experience in dealing with this larger area- I'm guessing I will experience a little delay etc on the mix coming back to me?

Just stuff like that-

I guess make good friends with the sound crew as quickly as possible

Which could probably be one of the best pieces of advice to anyone out there in drumland!!!!

Drum rule #1 Make nice with the sounf guy! haha- you may or may not sound like crap- but get on the soundguy's bad side and you WILL sound like shit!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
I'm guessing I will experience a little delay etc on the mix coming back to me?
Only when you're balancing the kit out individually. Wont happen when the band is playing or when there's audience. People are great reflection-absorbers.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Take advantage of the situation to really plug the band, merchandise, banner, flyers for upcoming gigs, plug your myspace page. It's at these events where you gain your biggest surge in fans and expand your fanbase. Make sure you get a write-up in your local rag mag and local newspaper, these events are a must for your band's press kit also so hire a pro photographer to take pics of you in front of your biggest crowd from behind and in front of the stage.