DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Default Master of Puppets - Breaking it down

I'm still largely a beginner. I can play along to a few songs (basic stuff, like for whom the bell tolls), but I have to say, this song is destroying me.

From what I can tell, the song has a strange bass beat that doesn't go along with the 4/4 time *I think, I don't know much music theory so if I'm wrong with anything here, please correct me*, and I just can't do it right. It has the hi-hat on all 4 beats, with the snare on 2 and 4.
I can't really explain the bass beat, I think I've gathered how to do it from videos but I can't do that in conjunction while keeping time with my hands, so I guess this is an independance issue.

I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could break the beat down into steps for me, that way I can learn it slowly. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Master of Puppets - Breaking it down

It's just a kick melody/pattern across two measures or so. You need to work on your hands so the hat and snare are all but unconscious, and fiddling around with the kick won't influence your hands. I wouldn't count it unless I needed to write it down, I'd just play from memory. Kick snare kickkicksnarekick, kicksnare, kickkicksnare. So, 1, (2) 3&(4)&,_&(2), 3&(4)

Or something.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM

the bass hits on the "&s" of the measure, also called the "off the beat accents"...so basically the kick drum hits in the space between the hihat pattern which is 8th notes, and the snare on 2 & 4. So practice initially hitting the kick drum on every the off beats first, and then subtract notes to fit Lars' actual pattern once your familar with this concept.

It could also help to try to practice playing an 8th note roll between your right hand and right foot, starting with the hihat on the beat and the kick off the beat. Then add the snare on 2 and 4 to complete the phrase.

I would notate this but i have to get to class soon...i might be able to help you with this more later.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks. So the bass is on the off-beat? That makes it far easier to understand.

ermghoti: I don't count while playing something I understand, then it comes naturally. But when learning something new I find that breaking it down into steps and counting at first help me to play it better later.

Crazy+Hands: Thanks, that was very helpful. I'll start practising the basic beat with bass on all the off beats to get used to it. Then, like you said, start taking away the ones that aren't in the song.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 AM

Well the kick actually hits on 1 of each measure, but each note after that is on the & counts.

Another way to hear and gain an understanding of the off beat note is to play a simple 8th note double bass pattern leading with your right foot underneath the basic rock pattern of 8th notes on the hihat w/snare on 2 &4. Once you are familiar with this rhythm, take away the right foot leaving only the left kick playing while maintaining your hand pattern. The left kick will then only hit on the space in between your hihat and snare drum, i.e. the kick drum will not hit at the same time as your either of your hands. But don't get confused, your hihat will still be hitting on 2&4 with your snare hand.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Serpent View Post
ermghoti: I don't count while playing something I understand, then it comes naturally. But when learning something new I find that breaking it down into steps and counting at first help me to play it better later.
I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't count, I was providing an alibi for what is probably a spectacularly inaccurate tab.