DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Default Foot dominance problem

Dear all,

This is a follow up to an issue I had before about foot dominance being a left-handed player. It seems like I can't find which foot should be on the bass pedal for me. Here's my issue:

I started learning open on a right-handed kit. I loved everything except I was struggling with some beats using my right foot on bass it seemed. After about a month on my right foot I tried doing them with my left on bass and right away I could breeze through them. Ended up switching kit around, etc. Fast-forward to last two nights. It seems like I'm struggling now with my left foot as the bass and now my right-foot is having a substantially easier time with the beats.

What's really confusing is: I kick stuff like soccer balls with my left foot, but I always take my first step walking with my right. Also, I can lead with my left foot (alternating a beat) quite easily but when I try to start with my right it sucks. I'm really frustrated because I want to find out which to start on and just stick with it.

If I go left foot bass I have to play lefty kit crossed. If I go right foot bass I'll have to play open-handed on a righty kit (much more advantages). The problem is I can't even lead with the right foot on like a double bass situation. Do you think I'll eventually learn it? My real question is though, does anyone have any advice for my dilemma or how to determine which foot to use?

I apologize if I seem like I'm over-analyzing or paranoid but it's really important to me because I want to progress further but it seems like the choice is hindering me because I'll play two completely different styles. Thanks again in advance!

-Fission

Last edited by Fission; 01-21-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Foot dominance problem

Sorry to bump but anyone have any idea?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM
lewisn27

Default Re: Foot dominance problem

Whichever one your feeling comfortable with at the momont I would stick with.
You have done some very good practice, with all this switching around of the bass drum working on your weaker side , it is a very good thing to do.