DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Just an observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Quick "I am at work" thoughts....

There has always been-and will always be great music and musicians who produce it.

The 20th century made it progressively easier for people to "find it" and hear it.

All of those great musicians had to make it throught the "funnel" of the system before they could be heard by the masses. Obviously, being a funnel-not all made it and reached our ears. Thankfully many did.

In our youth, typically, we have the time and the interest to seek out and acquire music. For many if us that opportunity fades quite a bit as we take on more repsonsibility and interests. Perhaps we get a little lazy and find our need for music it easily satisfied by returning to our lersonal tried and true?

I have no doubt that there exists great talent world-wide right at this moment. I have no doubt I have easier access to a huge pool of talent at my mousetip. It IS there waiting for me to discover and enjoy.

There is more good music available to us today than we had access to in say 1970....without investing in great effort to travel the world to find it.

I have no reason or excuse to exclaim "music sucks today" anymore than my father did in 1969.

The only reason I could think that would be because of my own laziness and lack of effort.

The downside of so much music being available is that it is almost impossble for a large number of stand out groups and artists to be heard. There are just too many voices competing to be heard....
100% agree with this statement. I remember people on drumforum.org going on and on about “...today’s music is terrible! Only music that is 40 years or older is good.” It is absolutely ridiculous and reeks of laziness.

Some pop music sucked 40-50 years ago, just as it does today. But there is so much more music out there than ever before, and some of it is fantastic. Make the effort and you will be rewarded. No, you can’t just turn on your radio and hear it. But you also have more than 10 bands now making good music.

To me, when I hear people say, “There isn’t any good music today.” What they are really saying is, “I’m too lazy to find good music, and it is easier to listen to the same songs I listened to for decades.”
Old 10-10-2018, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
One thing that is radically different today than when I was a kid was the great unifying factor, radio. The Top 40 then appealed to the great majority. Now you have to search to find the good stuff because arguably it isn't in the Top 40, generally speaking.

So you have millions of different people searching for millions of different niches. The result of that is, there's no real common thread to unite everyone. Everyone has a favorite band that no one else has heard of. I exaggerate to make the point. Everyone is doing their own thing, compared to when I was a kid. No one had to search then. It was all right there.

Again, I'm not passing judgement, just observing.
Yep, I think this statement is very accurate as well.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Some pop music sucked 40-50 years ago, just as it does today
Heh heh, some?

Take a look thru billboards top 100 through the years. There was a LOT of stuff I considered garbage.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

The music I grew up with was much different – in many cases - than the music my friends grew up with at the time. I was raised in a house with a dad who was a jazz drummer who grew up with the music. I didn’t hear much “pop” music until I turned 10 or so. Anyways…

I think we all have the “soundtrack to our lives” therefore connect emotionally at some level.

That being said, at least 80-90% of what I listen to now has either just been released of was released within the last 20 years. I love the stuff I grew up with, but would be utterly sick and tired of listening to it these days exclusively.

Way too much great music being released these days to be stick/frozen in time.

I have been exposed to so much wonderful music that I can’t keep up – to be honest. But then again, I don’t listen to today’s billboard pop type music.

So, while I have a connection to what I grew up with, it would be a total farce to say that was the best music ever.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
..Way too much great music being released these days to be stick/frozen in time..

I completely agree with that..