DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:10 AM
Destroyer1's Avatar
Destroyer1 Destroyer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Default Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Well, right when I think I've seen it all, up pops something new that really defines 'out of the box'. Fully suspended drums, no holes, screws, bolts, nothing touches the shell except the heads. And they sound great! Sleishman drums.

So too, the Soultone cymbals! My question to you all is where have these drums and cymbals been all these years, especially the drums...they've been around since the late 70's after all...and I've been playing for many years; played too many drum kits to count, yet I have never run across these. What gives?

I think these Soultone cymbals Rock! They sound wonderful! These hats and crashes especially! And these drums! This is from a gig I played last Friday night here in Nashville. Cigar box blues rock. 'Statesboro Blues' by The Allman Brothers and an original titled 'Memphis Train' A little 'Out Of The Box', but hey. This is Nashville. :-)

The TONE on these bad boys! :-)

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.abe...06617073809081


https://www.facebook.com/RollinwithT...08582093806605



The drums are the Sleishman Pro Series Rock kit.
Distributorship here in Nashville TN

Last edited by Destroyer1; 06-28-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:36 AM
Duck Tape's Avatar
Duck Tape Duck Tape is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,484
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

I just sold a sleishman kit. Eventually I will get another one in sizes that suit me better, was going to pull the trigger on one soon but something came up.

I loved the kick and floor tom, the rack toms on mine I felt were a bit too low and boingy, but my kit was a prototype of sorts so I think a newer pro series will be an improvement based on videos I've seen.
__________________
Watch a purdie shuffle here!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPmH1wrSiQ
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:42 AM
Push pull stroke Push pull stroke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,751
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

They sound incredible. I'm thinking about getting a similar kit, Hudson custom drums, with copper shells.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 AM
paradiddle pete's Avatar
paradiddle pete paradiddle pete is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: down south
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Destroyer, I bought this kit new in 1992, they are a great kit. The older ones like these have rock maple shells which i have a soft spot for.
__________________
petey poo!

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 09-13-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2016, 05:10 AM
Destroyer1's Avatar
Destroyer1 Destroyer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
Destroyer, I bought this kit new in 1992, they are a great kit. The older ones like these have rock maple shells which i have a soft spot for.
1992. Your rack toms look deeper, similar to the MIJ Tama Rockstar toms back in the early 80's.

So they have been around for a while, I don't know how I missed these? How did you come across yours, Pete?

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 AM
paradiddle pete's Avatar
paradiddle pete paradiddle pete is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: down south
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Yeah the toms 10" by 10" and 12" by 12" , i usually use the 12 only in a snare basket. I'll try to post a pic of them set up to play. I came across these when they first became available in a couple of drumshops in Oz. I had an old Gretsch kit which had failing lugs. Back then Gretsch lugs weren't that easy to come by. So i traded it in. I got "F" all for it. sad isn't it.But i moved on with this kit and found it great for some African and Reggae that i was into at the time. This kit really cut that Mustard. Some say the free floating system is too hard to control, and that you can't have separate tensions on batter and reso heads. when i hear those comments i know they haven't really experienced these drums. The best way i have found is to experiment with the heads. I'm thinking of getting a hammered copper snare drum to go with it. Nice Kit Man..
__________________
petey poo!

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 09-13-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2016, 06:35 PM
Destroyer1's Avatar
Destroyer1 Destroyer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
Yeah the toms 10" by 10" and 12" by 12" , i usually use the 12 only in a snare basket. I'll try to post a pic of them set up to play. I came across these when they first became available in a couple of drumshops in Oz. I had an old Gretsch kit which had failing lugs. Back then Gretsch lugs weren't that easy to come by. So i traded it in. I got "F" all for it. sad isn't it.But i moved on with this kit and found it great for some African and Reggae that i was into at the time. This kit really cut that Mustard. Some say the free floating system is too hard to control, and that you can't have separate tensions on batter and reso heads. when i hear those comments i know they haven't really experienced these drums. The best way i have found is to experiment with the heads. I'm thinking of getting a hammered copper snare drum to go with it. Nice Kit Man..

They are nice! And they played great and sounded killer. Now I'm seriously thinking of saving up my $ for one! This is a backline kit at a down town venue here in Nashville called Big Shotz that I played at Last Friday night after the NAMM show. Likewise the Soultone cymbals.

I currently own a Ludwig Bonham kit, a Ddrum Carmine Appice signature 7 pc kit, and an older Tama and a couple of electrics. My cymbals are all Avedis Ziljian from the 60's and 70's, with some newer 90's, and I have a couple of Sabians and Paiste's, and I was really impressed by the Soultones. They sounded sweet!

I've been thinking of upgrading to DW's but this Sleishman kit has my attention so its off to the races...

What remains a mystery is the fact that I've just now come across Sleishman. I normally play backline kits, and I've played many different drum brands, but never seen these.
Funny how they just popped up right when I was thinking of shopping for some DW's.
I guess my other question would be, how heavy are they?

Thats a lot of iron to be lugging around with the separation rings and things, especially the bass drum.

And of course the tuning idea. I like the fact that the shells remain pristine, but as with most other contemporary thinking, I'm so imbedded with the idea of separate batter and reso tuning, again, the bass drum comes to mind; that I hesitate, at least initially, to venture there until I get more information.

Thanks Pete, I really appreciate the info.

Last edited by Destroyer1; 06-28-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: voice to text corrections
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2016, 08:51 PM
tcspears tcspears is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

I'm always coming across drum manufacturers that I've never heard of... even local ones.

The other day I played at an awards show and I used a backlined kit, which was a brand new Noble and Cooley set. It was a rock set, and not really my style, but they set sounded sweet. Turns out they have been making drums in MA (where I live) since 1854, yet I had never heard of them...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2016, 11:03 PM
Push pull stroke Push pull stroke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,751
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcspears View Post
I'm always coming across drum manufacturers that I've never heard of... even local ones.

The other day I played at an awards show and I used a backlined kit, which was a brand new Noble and Cooley set. It was a rock set, and not really my style, but they set sounded sweet. Turns out they have been making drums in MA (where I live) since 1854, yet I had never heard of them...
N&C make some of the best drums in the world, period. Their quality is just unbelievable. They're REALLY expensive, though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 AM
WallyY WallyY is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston, US
Posts: 1,973
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcspears View Post
I'm always coming across drum manufacturers that I've never heard of... even local ones.

The other day I played at an awards show and I used a backlined kit, which was a brand new Noble and Cooley set. It was a rock set, and not really my style, but they set sounded sweet. Turns out they have been making drums in MA (where I live) since 1854, yet I had never heard of them...
Phil Collins was an endorser.
They were making solid steam bent snares in the 80's when nobody else was.

Their drums are about the classiest things I've seen.

It's a family run business and they are all the type of people you would be pleased to know.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-29-2016, 01:53 AM
paradiddle pete's Avatar
paradiddle pete paradiddle pete is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: down south
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Destroyer, I would email Slieshman with your questions. I can answer with my opinion but that's all you get an opinion. But i will answer any question you have.The bass drum is heavy but mine is the older one so i think the newer ones won't be so bad. About the same hassle as a 26' Kick i would think. If i were you i would buy from OZ as you will get a good exchange rate right now. Glad to Help.
__________________
petey poo!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-29-2016, 03:09 AM
iwearnohats iwearnohats is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 620
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

I have a 14"x6.5" Sleishman Jarrah snare drum. Really loud with that typical Jarrah 'bite'. Sounds great!

I was actually going to buy a Sleishman around 10 years ago but managed to get a great price on my Gretsch USA Maple.

The guys at Sleishman are really helpful and friendly too. I bought my snare and eventually got die-cast hoops and the newer Trick throw-off through ordering via email.

The one problem I've had with the snare is through trying to tune it too tight and blowing out Remo snare-side heads. It hasn't happened since I moved to Aquarian and started using a 13" snare for higher pitched tuning, though. That's the only downside I can think of with the snare - you are going to be limited on pitch as you can't tune the heads independent of each other. But it sounds great no matter how I have it tuned anyway! The snare is also very sensitive - to the point where you can plant your hand on the batter head, and still get great response from the snare wires whilst tapping the head.

I also have access to a full Sleishman kit at my band's rehearsal space. I use my own kit but I've played the Sleishman and it sounds fantastic. Even with the crappy old beat-up heads that it usually has on it it still sounds great.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-29-2016, 03:41 AM
Bonzodownunder Bonzodownunder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Warrandyte, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 228
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

You'll NEVER EVER get conventional drums to sound like "free-floating" drums no matter WHAT thinness/thickness of shells, shell type, lug placement, head type &tuning PERIOD!.i DONT know WHY ANY drummer would want to choose&endorse conventional&dead sounding(think Sonor) drums after playing Sleishman TOTALLY 100% free-floating drums!.You CAN get "independant" tuning by choosing a thicker or thinner head on the bottom/resonant side according to David Sleishman himself! :).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-29-2016, 07:00 AM
Big Stu Big Stu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 42
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

I'have 7 piece Sleisman, 20, 8,10,12,14,16 all Bubinga in a semi matt finish, the snare is ironwood. A couple of years old now. Custom spec'd and built.

Similar to the pic attached, (with the addition of the 8", 16" and a 20" bd instead of a 22).
Bass drum is not heavier than any other (if it is I don't notice it). The 20", especially in Bubinga gives everything a 22 will and a bit more. The sound is simply rich!
I don't care if the top and bottom heads are at the same tension, it simply makes a lovely tone, no excessive ring (but a full sound) and are the easiest drums to tune. Stop thinking about that as a limitation and if in doubt try one out. Honestly if you are the worst tuner in the world they will still sound good.
The free-floating concept was (I believe an invention of Sleishman) but found on a few other manufacturers (the patent I think has expired) and I see others following/copying http://www.mastrosnaredrums.com/drumkits.html
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-29-2016, 07:20 AM
Destroyer1's Avatar
Destroyer1 Destroyer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

I've been invited over to Sleishman Drums here in Nashville to check them out with a closer inspection and conversation with Michael Turner. He is the company rep I met and spoke with briefly before and after the gig, but it was rather hectic as you may well imagine.

Now, however, with the NAMM show over and things settling down a bit, he will have time to get with me in a few days I think. I'm looking forward to the visit.

Meanwhile, all your comments and knowledge is immensely helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Kenflux's Avatar
Kenflux Kenflux is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 38
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

As an Australian i haven been aware of Sleishman for years. I have always wanted a to own a set. We see lots come up for sale in the aussie second hand market.

i am also a big fan of their own double pedal design, i like the idea of sitting centre on to my kit for a change


http://www.thedrumshopnewcastle.com....duct_id=180918
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Duck Tape's Avatar
Duck Tape Duck Tape is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,484
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer1 View Post
They are nice! And they played great and sounded killer. Now I'm seriously thinking of saving up my $ for one! This is a backline kit at a down town venue here in Nashville called Big Shotz that I played at Last Friday night after the NAMM show. Likewise the Soultone cymbals.

I currently own a Ludwig Bonham kit, a Ddrum Carmine Appice signature 7 pc kit, and an older Tama and a couple of electrics. My cymbals are all Avedis Ziljian from the 60's and 70's, with some newer 90's, and I have a couple of Sabians and Paiste's, and I was really impressed by the Soultones. They sounded sweet!

I've been thinking of upgrading to DW's but this Sleishman kit has my attention so its off to the races...

What remains a mystery is the fact that I've just now come across Sleishman. I normally play backline kits, and I've played many different drum brands, but never seen these.
Funny how they just popped up right when I was thinking of shopping for some DW's.
I guess my other question would be, how heavy are they?

Thats a lot of iron to be lugging around with the separation rings and things, especially the bass drum.

And of course the tuning idea. I like the fact that the shells remain pristine, but as with most other contemporary thinking, I'm so imbedded with the idea of separate batter and reso tuning, again, the bass drum comes to mind; that I hesitate, at least initially, to venture there until I get more information.

Thanks Pete, I really appreciate the info.
I weighed my kit actually, it was an omega so it had the newer hardware which is lighter, and thin maple shells.

22x18 kick 11.5kg (felt very light!)
16" floor tom 8.1kg inc legs.
12" Tom 3.7kg
10" Tom 3.3kg
__________________
Watch a purdie shuffle here!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPmH1wrSiQ
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2016, 04:41 PM
tcspears tcspears is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
N&C make some of the best drums in the world, period. Their quality is just unbelievable. They're REALLY expensive, though.
Yeah, I was asking the guy about the kit and I think he said it was $10k... looks like I'll stick with Gretsch a bit longer :-)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2016, 05:40 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,933
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenflux View Post

i am also a big fan of their own double pedal design, i like the idea of sitting centre on to my kit for a change.

I have their pedal. I think the original design dates back to 1975. I had an Off-Set pedal for a while (also a center pedal). I had tried both the Off-Set and the Sonor center pedal at a NAMM show. Chose the Off-Set. A few years later, got my feet on a Sleishman ..... and been with them ever since.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Destroyer1's Avatar
Destroyer1 Destroyer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I have their pedal. I think the original design dates back to 1975. I had an Off-Set pedal for a while (also a center pedal). I had tried both the Off-Set and the Sonor center pedal at a NAMM show. Chose the Off-Set. A few years later, got my feet on a Sleishman ..... and been with them ever since.
Yes, I hope to try one out at the factory soon. My old DW 5000's are good still, but I'm pretty doggone sure that the Sleishmans will be like comparing a Ferrari to an older Cadillac...they have served me well though, and I'll keep them as a backup if and when I decide on a new double pedal..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-30-2016, 06:48 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,933
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

The center pedal design was specifically what I was after. Getting the bass drum in front of me (I run three floor toms on the right) .... lets me put my 14" floor further forward. So my 18 is beside me, rather than behind me.
Attached Images
  
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Destroyer1
This message has been deleted by Destroyer1.
  #22  
Old 06-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Destroyer1's Avatar
Destroyer1 Destroyer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
The center pedal design was specifically what I was after. Getting the bass drum in front of me (I run three floor toms on the right) .... lets me put my 14" floor further forward. So my 18 is beside me, rather than behind me.
Oh. Thats how they work! Ok, yes, I see your point. That would be great for my 1930 Slingerland 32" bass drum. The DW 5000,s kind of make my right foot angle more to the right, so this design would definitely be good with my Gibraltar rack set-up. The second photo shows how I have to angle the bass drum a little to the right instead of being straight the way I would like it to be. Looks like the Sleishman double pedal would remedy that.

Thats an awesome rack by the way....it looks muck beefier and hi-tech than my older Gibraltar.
Looking at your pedals, the whole assembly doesn't look like it clamps on to the bass drum hoop...or is it just the photo?







Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 PM
iwearnohats iwearnohats is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 620
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

To answer your question, IIRC the Sleishman pedal only clamps onto the hoop at the centre, it's actually one single, solid unit.

I could be wrong though - there is one attached to the Sleishman in my rehearsal space but I haven't looked at it for a way. It's a great pedal to play though! Not just a tacky centre-pedal gimmick, but a genuinely good high-end pedal.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-30-2016, 05:36 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,933
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer1 View Post
Oh. Thats how they work! Ok, yes, I see your point. That would be great for my 1930 Slingerland 32" bass drum.
Man, that kick drum puts on a show.
Quote:
Thats an awesome rack by the way....it looks muck beefier and hi-tech than my older Gibraltar.
Yamaha hex rack, version 1.
Quote:
Looking at your pedals, the whole assembly doesn't look like it clamps on to the bass drum hoop...or is it just the photo?
The rear hoop fits into a trough. The tension is directed side-to-side, rather than traditional pedal clamps that press down on the hoop.
Attached Images
 
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-30-2016, 06:09 PM
Destroyer1's Avatar
Destroyer1 Destroyer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Man, that kick drum puts on a show.
Yamaha hex rack, version 1.
The rear hoop fits into a trough. The tension is directed side-to-side, rather than traditional pedal clamps that press down on the hoop.
Oh! The beaters AND footboards are angled! Wow! I bet those are comfortable to play! I wonder how they compare to DW 5000's or Iron Cobra's...I can't wait to go to the Sleishman factory here...Probably the centering aspect is going to be the big selling point for me though...so I don't have to angle my bass drum.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-01-2016, 01:04 AM
iwearnohats iwearnohats is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 620
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

It's been years since I've played IC's or DW 5000s, but I'd pick the Sleishman over both just from how I remember it feeling when I last played it... which in fairness was a couple of years back, but I do recall playing a very loose IC at a store when testing out Axis and Trick and I didn't like it at all :)

But of course, the most important thing is to play it and see for yourself, as I'm sure you know!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-01-2016, 03:54 AM
Destroyer1's Avatar
Destroyer1 Destroyer1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Sleishman drums and Soultone cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwearnohats View Post
It's been years since I've played IC's or DW 5000s, but I'd pick the Sleishman over both just from how I remember it feeling when I last played it... which in fairness was a couple of years back, but I do recall playing a very loose IC at a store when testing out Axis and Trick and I didn't like it at all :)

But of course, the most important thing is to play it and see for yourself, as I'm sure you know!
True, true. Still, its very interesting and informative to hear you guys speak about pedal comparison and other information as per your experiences, and I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com