DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:05 AM
savage8190

Default Why are drums so awesome

Just wanted to say...and maybe i sound like atotal dork, but drums are just frickin awesome.

Last time I gave them a whirl I loved playing them...like ridiculously, but stopped because of wrist concerns. It hasn't been long since I started back up again, but I just can't stop thinking about them. I could play for hours and just want to keep playing more. I've never had this kind of passion for guitar in my 8 years playing it.

I've had ZERO wrist pain this time. I'm being extremely careful with my technique/posture and I'm trying to spread out my practice times. Hoping to keep it up.

I can't wait till I can start taking some lessons.

As an aside, has anyone ever noticed how happy, friendly, and NORMAL drummers are? All the guitar players I know are egotistical, disgruntled weirdos...not my crowd. ☺
Old 04-11-2016, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Why are drums so awesome

They're primal... today tho' any current trends will still reflect a type of primal modernity.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Drums are very grounding. I play for 20 minutes, and it just takes my stress away. Guitarists don't get that from guitar. I personally think everybody should play in a drum circle or something like that every week. Kids, old people, everybody. Every culture has drums, pretty much. They let us express so much of ourselves.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 AM
savage8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Drums are very grounding. I play for 20 minutes, and it just takes my stress away. Guitarists don't get that from guitar. I personally think everybody should play in a drum circle or something like that every week. Kids, old people, everybody. Every culture has drums, pretty much. They let us express so much of ourselves.
True, guitar stressed me out a lot. I hated practicing, it felt like a chore. Although sometimes I would just play and not think about anything and it was great. It wasn't all bad...
Old 04-11-2016, 03:48 AM
Ghostnote

The physicality of drumming is something that I have always loved. I think it is what makes it so primal and cool for me. Part dance, part clubbing s#!t.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
The physicality of drumming is something that I have always loved. I think it is what makes it so primal and cool for me. Part dance, part clubbing s#!t.
The dance aspect is something I think a lot of us haven't explored enough. You sound how you move.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold
This message has been deleted by Pocket-full-of-gold.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Guitarists don't get that from guitar.
You need to get out and meet a few more mate.

I know guys that attack their guitars with a passion and fervour that would put many of us to shame. In fact, I reckon that can be said about just about any instrument if you spoke to the right people.

Drums have no stranglehold over musical fulfilment. They are no more or less grounding and stress relieving than any other instrument in the hands of a person with the mindset to thoroughly enjoy what they do with it. I wouldn't underestimate the joy that people derive from their chosen instrument. The feeling of "awesome" we get from playing a drum kit is easily mirrored by those who are equally as passionate about their trumpet, or cello, or glockenspiel, or voice.....or yes, even their guitar.....given the right circumstances.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

When I play drums my mind clears out. I forget my troubles.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I've recently delved back into some old books and actually working on stuff to better myself and I have found putting in that hour or so a day, doing some freeform playing, and going through some exercises in a book, really makes me feel good for the rest of the day.

I very much let myself be defined by what I do and when I was out playing a lot, that defined who I am. When that stopped, I wasn't sure who I was. But pulling myself up and making myself play and work on things has changed my attitude a bit for the better. I'm identifying myself as a drummer from an inner source because I'm actually doing it regardless if I'm working or not. I'm not physically where I was when I was in my 20s, but the mentality feels the same.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

You may "sound like a total Dork" on another online forum, but not here.
Welcome to the enlightened brotherhood of drummers.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Drums are awesome to me because i dont have to learn to read music to have fun....
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

I like the fact that absolutely none of us have the same setup. I can spend all day happily looking at everyone's drums set up, and every one of them is different.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:44 PM

Drums are awesome.

It's no wonder why the rule, they were one of the first instruments everrrr.

Before there were guitars, there were DRUMS...

Before there were pianos, there were DRUMS.

Rockabilly, Drums, Coffee...
Old 04-12-2016, 01:56 AM

Their so awesome I named my son Shadow Drum. Just glad he didn't grow up to be a guitar player even though he plays that too. I think it's born into us. I think all babies grow up banging on crap. Just some of us have honed our skills. I have never stopped playing in over 40 years I don't know what I would do if I had to stop. My passion for them has just increased over the years.