DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-07-2015, 06:04 PM
moxman moxman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 562
Default Funkiest 3/4 ever..

I had to learn the drum part for Joe Cocker's version of 'A Little Help from my Friends'.. and was blown away by the funky waltz beat the drummer played. Never heard a funk-rock waltz before like it.. I actually count it in 6/8 but YMMV. Just check out the opening intro section, beat inversions, offsets, offbeats.. yadayada

https://youtu.be/Z9zGP1FMZ60

In any case, I had to find out who played it;
BJ Wilson from Procol Harem.. with Jimmy Page on guitar.
Apparently Led Zepplin back in the day offered him the drum chair, but he turned it down and John Bonham took it. Sadly, he passed away from an overdose in 1988.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,756
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

I'd count 6 too. The snare is on 4 so counting 3's can get confusing.

Other than that, though. Pretty standard on the drumming front. You want some funkier 3's? Cause we can give you some funky 3's. Soon you'll be digressing into my world of 2 time punk or Bermuda's 2 polkas!
__________________
"Overthinking is at the very core of our mission here." -Uncle Larry
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Bruce M. Thomson's Avatar
Bruce M. Thomson Bruce M. Thomson is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto,ON Canada
Posts: 1,152
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxman View Post
I had to learn the drum part for Joe Cocker's version of 'A Little Help from my Friends'.. and was blown away by the funky waltz beat the drummer played. Never heard a funk-rock waltz before like it.. I actually count it in 6/8 but YMMV. Just check out the opening intro section, beat inversions, offsets, offbeats.. yadayada

https://youtu.be/Z9zGP1FMZ60

In any case, I had to find out who played it;
BJ Wilson from Procol Harem.. with Jimmy Page on guitar.
Apparently Led Zepplin back in the day offered him the drum chair, but he turned it down and John Bonham took it. Sadly, he passed away from an overdose in 1988.
B.J. Wilson is one of my favorite drummers. Wish he could have stuck around.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

The Beatles never wrote a song in 3/4

I would count this Cocker version in 12





Bernard Purdie... mmmmmmm sorry- RINGO played it in 4/4
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 AM
sumdrumguy sumdrumguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 216
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Joe Cocker was amazing. His catalogue is loaded with great songs.

His was/is the only Beatles cover I have ever liked. Dare I say, better than the original. Woodstock 1969 performance here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POaaw_x7gvQ
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,810
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Just mentioned this tune in another thread, man can that cat can swing a tune.

Jimi Hendrix, Manic Depression - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkkO_eiJIkY
__________________
Classy grip all day.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:09 AM
The Modernist's Avatar
The Modernist The Modernist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: STBOOIAP
Posts: 146
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdrumguy View Post
Joe Cocker was amazing. His catalogue is loaded with great songs.

His was/is the only Beatles cover I have ever liked. Dare I say, better than the original. Woodstock 1969 performance here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POaaw_x7gvQ

This is a better version of the Woodstock performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJWxPE8G2c
__________________
Love Everton, hate football.

Kopites are gobshítes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,186
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Great version indeed!

Yes the original version is in 4/4, but shuffle :).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,756
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
The Beatles never wrote a song in 3/4
Got any bridges I can buy? I'm a sucker for a bridge.
__________________
"Overthinking is at the very core of our mission here." -Uncle Larry
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:28 PM
moxman moxman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 562
Default Re: Funkiest 6/8 ever..

Ha.. although I count it in 6/8 I was referring to it as a 3/4 waltz as an inside joke to myself (haha - I kill myself sometimes!)... let me explain;

I had to play a wedding and the client asked the bandleader for 'lot's of waltzes' for the older folks. So our bandleader interpreted that as 3/4 waltzes.. and we proceeded to quickly learn a bunch of horrible songs in 3/4. It turns out.. the bandleader assumed the client knew what he was talking about (NOT).. what he meant by 'waltzes' was SLLOOOOOWWWW songs! So..we could have played any of the millions of great slow 4/4 tunes, instead of sounding like an oompah band!

I've always found pure 3/4 time signatures pretty limiting and difficult to come up with cool variations.. well I can anyway.. but the opening intro of the Joe Cocker piece gave me a whole bunch of ideas that I can use if it ever comes up again.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2015, 05:09 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,258
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
The Beatles never wrote a song in 3/4
I'm not sure how accurate that statement is but they did write a few bars of 3/4 in a 4/4 song. In "We Can Work It Out" (I think that's the title) there's 4 bars of 3/4 on the lyric "for fussing and fighting my friend"
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:15 PM
moxman moxman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 562
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Just mentioned this tune in another thread, man can that cat can swing a tune.

Jimi Hendrix, Manic Depression - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkkO_eiJIkY
Wasn't that Mitch Mitchell??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Icetech's Avatar
Icetech Icetech is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Man.. i love cocker at woodstock... I have never been THAT stoned.. let alone that stoned and vertical...
__________________
He boiled for my sins...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,361
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxman View Post
Wasn't that Mitch Mitchell??
Indeed it was.

I think it was linked because it's another funky example of playing in 3 is all.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-09-2015, 04:55 AM
Florian's Avatar
Florian Florian is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,059
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

We play this weekly, and I count it in 6.

F
__________________
Sonor SQ2/S Classix/Ascent
Paiste/UFiP/Evans/Vater/Pearl
Porter & Davies
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-09-2015, 05:39 AM
Frank's Avatar
Frank Frank is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
You want some funkier 3's? Cause we can give you some funky 3's.
Don't leave us hanging. Where are the funkier 3's?
__________________
+
Frank
"I like to play" - Garth Algar
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm not sure how accurate that statement is but they did write a few bars of 3/4 in a 4/4 song. In "We Can Work It Out" (I think that's the title) there's 4 bars of 3/4 on the lyric "for fussing and fighting my friend"
You mean Ringo wrote those parts in 3/4 and then Paul explained to him they were just 1/4 note triplets right?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-09-2015, 04:43 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,258
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

The subject wan't what Rings played during the 3/4 section, the subject was the 3/4 time in general.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
The subject wan't what Rings played during the 3/4 section, the subject was the 3/4 time in general.

Counting triplets 'can' get confusing.


We've all heard Ringo wasn't the best drummer in the BEATLES, just like Mickey wasn't the best drummer in the MONKEE'S.



.....................................
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-10-2015, 05:17 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,810
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxman View Post
Wasn't that Mitch Mitchell??
Yes that was Mitch. Just wanted to share another great tune in 3/4.
__________________
Classy grip all day.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-10-2015, 11:45 PM
supermac's Avatar
supermac supermac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 430
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Great track. Typical late-60s jazz-meets-rock drumming.

The shattering guitar part is by a certain brilliant young session player called...Jimmy Page
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Dhango's Avatar
Dhango Dhango is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina
Posts: 62
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxman View Post
I had to learn the drum part for Joe Cocker's version of 'A Little Help from my Friends'.. and was blown away by the funky waltz beat the drummer played. Never heard a funk-rock waltz before like it.. I actually count it in 6/8 but YMMV. Just check out the opening intro section, beat inversions, offsets, offbeats.. yadayada

https://youtu.be/Z9zGP1FMZ60

In any case, I had to find out who played it;
BJ Wilson from Procol Harem.. with Jimmy Page on guitar.
Apparently Led Zepplin back in the day offered him the drum chair, but he turned it down and John Bonham took it. Sadly, he passed away from an overdose in 1988.
Actuallyt, it was in 8 October 1990. He was 43 and for the last three years of his life he was in a vegetative state after an overdose in 1987.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-12-2015, 05:46 AM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 861
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
The Beatles never wrote a song in 3/4
Off the top of my head- She's Leaving Home and different verses of several of their songs are written in 3/4. There are others written in 6/8 or 12/8 that you could argue are felt in Waltz time. On the flip side, Norwegian Wood was originally written and published in 3/4.
__________________
-John W

National Association of Rudimental Drummers
(N.A.R.D.) Member, No. 10078
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Off the top of my head- She's Leaving Home and different verses of several of their songs are written in 3/4. There are others written in 6/8 or 12/8 that you could argue are felt in Waltz time. On the flip side, Norwegian Wood was originally written and published in 3/4.
Norwegian Wood as a waltz, but no drums in it and if you played drums on it you'd play it in 6... maybe in near future at old ppls parties (the boomers are aging) NW will be a waltz beat on drums.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-14-2015, 10:01 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 861
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Norwegian Wood as a waltz, but no drums in it and if you played drums on it you'd play it in 6... maybe in near future at old ppls parties (the boomers are aging) NW will be a waltz beat on drums.
That was the first song I thought of when I read your post. Of course it's a waltz. But then I started to play it and it felt like a 6/8 ballad. I'm on the tail end of the boom- if they do that any party I'll shake my cane at them!
__________________
-John W

National Association of Rudimental Drummers
(N.A.R.D.) Member, No. 10078
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:36 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
That was the first song I thought of when I read your post. Of course it's a waltz. But then I started to play it and it felt like a 6/8 ballad. I'm on the tail end of the boom- if they do that any party I'll shake my cane at them!
Please video any drummer you see/hear playing NW in waltz (3/4) time, I'd love a good laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-18-2015, 09:32 PM
JohnW JohnW is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockport, MA USA
Posts: 861
Default Re: Funkiest 3/4 ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Please video any drummer you see/hear playing NW in waltz (3/4) time, I'd love a good laugh.
Prepare to laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQKYjHiMyOA
__________________
-John W

National Association of Rudimental Drummers
(N.A.R.D.) Member, No. 10078
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com