DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Default Pre serial and early 70's black beauty. Values?

In comparison would a late 70's /early 80's black beauty be worth more than pre serial cob supers ? and if so what is the difference in dollar terms.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pre serial and late 70's early 80's black beauty. Values?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
In comparison would a late 70's /early 80's black beauty be worth more than pre serial cob supers ? and if so what is the difference in dollar terms.
I am going to answer my own question here as i have done on this forum a number of times. Seems sometimes i can rely solely on my own advice. I am going to surmise that the early to late eighties Black Beauty is not carrying any more value than the pre serial COB Super ,here is why. From what i can gather the late 70's BB was brass then switched over to bronze around '79/80 so therefor the bronze version that succeeded the BB is virtually the same drum only not black. So i will value it the same as the pre serial cousin according to equal condition.

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 07-14-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pre serial and late 70's early 80's black beauty. Values?

Quote:
I am going to answer my own question here as i have done on this forum a number of times. Seems sometimes i can rely solely on my own advice. I am going to surmise that the early to late eighties Black Beauty is not carrying any more value than the pre serial COB Super ,here is why. From what i can gather the late 70's BB was brass then switched over to bronze around '79/80 so therefor the bronze version that succeeded the BB is virtually the same drum only black. So i will value it the same as the pre serial cousin according to equal condition.
Except that's not how a market price is set. Your perception of the drums being the same, different or whatever isn't the only question. There are usually at least two parties to a sale. What the person you're doing business with thinks will effect their offer. That is, perception of value IS value. You must also consider the prior history of transactions made for a particular drum - insofar as you or that person are aware of said history. Whether or not the drum being sold is in short supply within a distance considered reasonable by you or the other person is also relevant. That is, if you've got the only BB on a remote island, it's likely going to be worth more than one of 15 available to a buyer within walking distance.

So, "answering your own question" is only half the battle when determining a market price.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pre serial and early 70's black beauty. Values?

That's how I set market price if I consider a purchase. Prior history of what someone else thinks is market value does not come into it. Rarity or the perception of rarity should be investigated by the purchaser insofar as what determines said rarity. is it something that is perceived to be of value or was the article discontinued due to poor sales only to be marketed as rare and containing Mojo of the Highest order later on down the track. All I am saying is the late 70's early 80's BB's are over valued at market price.but that is just my perception.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Good luck with the "Late 70s BB is essentially a 60s COB" sales pitch. :)

I'd chuckle if a guy laid that on me. No offense.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

No offense taken. But I ain't selling anything so where's the sales pitch? In my second post I valued them the same.( chuckles ),,

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 07-15-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pre serial and early 70's black beauty. Values?ha

Quote:
No offense taken. But I ain't selling anything so where's the sales pitch? In my second post I valued them the same.( chuckles ),,
One usually values something in dollars in order to buy or sell it. If it's for insurance then it would be replacement cost that's at issue, not value in comparison to some other drum and the history of prior sales would definitely be part of the equation. If you're valuing for your own edification, then you have more time on your hands than me. What on earth is the point?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pre serial and early 70's black beauty. Values?ha

. What on earth is the point?[/quote]

General Discussion, it is a drum forum isn't it?
Old 07-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Nvm.........................

Last edited by Boomka; 07-15-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 PM

Mine some data as to what each are selling for. In reality, they are very different drums, and I would guess that the Ludwig Super is more desirable and sells at a higher price. That's just plain old speculation, though.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Ron , I have some experience of what they really sell for and they are very different drums. As Bob said in another thread if you payed for the drum and you are happy then you paid the right price. This thread is about how that price is determined and not to be fooled by that process.