DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Session work gear must haves?

This is one for all you working session guys.

I'm intrigued as to what you would consider the must haves gear wise in order to start out playing recording sessions.

Is there a go to snare?

A set size and configuration of toms/kit?

Great all rounder cymbals?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Session work gear must haves?

Unless you're doing very specific types of genres and sounds, you'll need assorted snares and cymbals, and assorted sizes of drums. A go-to snare, or favorite kit or set of cymbals won't normally be enough to do everything that a busy session drummer would encounter.

Hahahahaha, I said 'busy session drummer'... I'm funny!

Bermuda
Old 06-04-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Kirk View Post
This is one for all you working session guys.

I'm intrigued as to what you would consider the must haves gear wise in order to start out playing recording sessions.

Is there a go to snare?

pretty much every studio I have ever worked in has a house Ludwig Supra .... I've owned a few and they are fantastic .
I own a mid 90s black beauty that I put die cast hoops on an a P86 strainer and it get raves from every engineer I work with.
many drummers have borrowed it and it has ended up on quite a few records.
that being said it is still all subjective.

A set size and configuration of toms/kit?

again subjective .... but I have found that smaller toms record better ... 10, 12, 14 for example.....
so many studios today love to sound replace.... or mix the live sound with sound replacements which I hate and try to avoid at all costs if I have any say in the matter what so ever

Great all rounder cymbals?
again subjective .... but I would say no
different pies for different guys

what I have found useful over the years doing sessions is what I call the "oh $hit kit".... and it looks something like this .... along with some heads of your choice of course .

Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Tony I am duly jealous of your "Oh $#it kit" and must institute my own. I have most of its contents strewn between my car, stickbag and trapcase but to have it all centrally located like that... my friend, you have indeed inspired me. :D

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

i think definitely start working on "your" snare sound w/ some pre-work on the 4-5 main types. check Ash Soan (in-fugging-credible snare sounds. basically a 70s vibe.) . also Kenny Aronoff and Rich Redmond talk about the exact snares / tuning they use for studio. i am forgetting about 100 guys, but there you go.

+ http://www.ashsoan.com/
+ http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com/
Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post

Love your storage case. I don't gig without these lifesavers. I have a lot off the same stuff and should all have it in a nice box instead of a ragged ziplock bag.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 AM

talent, or a computer
Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 AM

These days, it honestly probably doesn't matter what your kit sounds like when you record, cause they are replacing your sounds with samples once they edit anyways. If they like the sound of your kit, they'll probably use your samples. If they don't like it, they probably have some samples on hand they can replace yours with.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:41 AM

I honestly don't bring anything different than my normal kit. I bring 2 snares - one fat, one dry and they can be retuned if necessary. If needed I'll add djembe or congas. Otherwise just my normal kit. I don't know if I'm lazy after 30 years or .... ?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Unless you're doing very specific types of genres and sounds, you'll need assorted snares and cymbals, and assorted sizes of drums. A go-to snare, or favorite kit or set of cymbals won't normally be enough to do everything that a busy session drummer would encounter.

Hahahahaha, I said 'busy session drummer'... I'm funny!

Bermuda
Don't worry Bermuda, I don't for one second expect to be 'busy'! Its just something I'd like to explore.

I'd be happy just being yet another fish in the pond and playing the odd session here and there.

my current gear is a bit too specific to me, so i wondered if there was perhaps a nice all rounder snare, classic tom sizes and cymbals I could pick up to bolster my gear choices as a starting point before I approach any of the studios.

Quote:
again subjective .... but I would say no
different pies for different guys

what I have found useful over the years doing sessions is what I call the "oh $hit kit".... and it looks something like this .... along with some heads of your choice of course .

Cheers Tony, I actually nearly bought a black beauty back in the day! looks like I should have done.

I have a partial Oh Shhhh kit, time to get it organised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_G View Post
i think definitely start working on "your" snare sound w/ some pre-work on the 4-5 main types. check Ash Soan (in-fugging-credible snare sounds. basically a 70s vibe.) . also Kenny Aronoff and Rich Redmond talk about the exact snares / tuning they use for studio. i am forgetting about 100 guys, but there you go.

+ http://www.ashsoan.com/
+ http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com/
I have something of a signature snare sound at the moment, (a lot to do with my instrument of choice rather than me). But it is very much a taste thing.

What do you consider the 4-5 main types of snare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM View Post
talent, or a computer
I have a computer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighDrummer View Post
I honestly don't bring anything different than my normal kit. I bring 2 snares - one fat, one dry and they can be retuned if necessary. If needed I'll add djembe or congas. Otherwise just my normal kit. I don't know if I'm lazy after 30 years or .... ?
economical perhaps surely not lazy! :)
Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Most important things to have: a good feel, sharp memory, and the ability to play seamlessly with a click.

Next most important things to have: good ears, good tuning ability, a working knowledge of what gear you're bringing and what it's capable of (and what it's NOT)

...and, maybe somewhere further down the list of important things to have, but nowhere near as important as the previous things listed: a few different snares, some cymbal options, a few tom/bass drum options, and maybe some optional heads.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Most important things to have: a good feel, sharp memory, and the ability to play seamlessly with a click.

Next most important things to have: good ears, good tuning ability, a working knowledge of what gear you're bringing and what it's capable of (and what it's NOT)

are you the new captain obvious ?

:)
Old 06-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
are you the new captain obvious ?

:)
Yes I am, obviously. :P

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Tony... 10-12-14-20 is a very good bet for most stuff. A lot of people seem to like a 14x6.5" brass or aluminum snare as an all-rounder. As for cymbals, a 2-3" difference in thin-medium weight crashes, a medium-weight ride, and basically whatever 14" hats should do it. I'd be prepared with coated single ply and clear double ply tom batter heads, a couple of snare heads, maybe a couple of snare wire options, plus good tuning skills :)

Borrowing the Captain Obvious cummerbund, caddy has your non-gear requirements down. I think a working understanding of how to compose parts to fit the music for more complex stuff/basic rhythm theory (really just knowing how to manipulate snare and kick interaction) will get you there as well.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Gold Member

Years back there was a Modern Drummer interview with Kenny Aronoff and they were discussing getting started in the studio and he said to start you need to have a 5 x 14 metal shell snare and a 6.5 x 14 wood shell snare and a piccollo snare would get you started and the. As soon as possible add in a 5 x 14 wood and a 6.5 x 14 metal snare and this would cover most of the sessions you would be doing.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

I've gotten in the habit of collecting gear that can be used universally, specifically for session work. 99% of the time I use my 1988/89 Recording Custom. I start with a basic 4pc setup, and add Toms depending on the needs of the music. Head selection can change sometimes, but most of the time I use something thick and coated. (Currently Aquarian Force 10's).

I use a number of snare drums, again depending on the needs of the music, but when all else fails I go to my 5.5" x 14" Black chrome over Brass. It can be tuned any way, with any head selection and accommodate the needs to just about anything I'm working on.

Cymbals change depending on the music. The number of cymbals, thickness, ect. It's never the same. I do lean on my 14" A New Beats more often than anything else. But for rock music I tend to like Z Series Dyno Beats.
YouTube
Old 06-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

No amount of gear beats chops.