What's with The Who?

Re: What's with the who?

Unlike Kiss, who was makeup and two good songs.

Which two? :)

The Who were legends back in the day. You must remember that, compared to today, there were only a handful of band back then. The had a style and enough talent to earn fans. I was never a fan but I did dig some of the music.

To this day I've never listened closely or tried to play any of the music but, I don't think that Moon's style was complicated. He just energetically played a lot of fill.

What's with pumpkin? Orange coloured muck that tastes like pure shit, yet is a staple on pretty much every table across the western world?

Funny thing about taste, mate........there's no accounting for it. But that neither makes it valid or invalid. It just makes it personal.

It's pointless to try and change your mind on a matter of taste. We're not gonna convince you of the musical merits of The Who anymore than you're gonna convince me to start liking pumpkin. And if I started a thread on every musical situation that I didn't get, I'd be still madly posting away if I lived to be 150. Why not just concern yourself with that you like? Far easier and offers far more enjoyment in the long run. Who knows, following that path may even lead you back to The Who with a new found appreciation at a later date. I know there's numerous acts that I've only been able to "get" with the passage of time. It can happen.

We're not gonna take it!

Oh yeah. And what's with Twisted Sister??

I can't explain it well but The Who are a sensation who had an amazing journey and they have no substitute.

But I digress ... anyway, anyhow ... music must change over time and sadly the song is over, but behind those blue eyes is more than a man with money but one of the most important voices of my generation and a success story, you better you bet!

On a more personal note, I wouldn't say any of them was a real good looking boy, though that could be a trick of the light. Or is it in my head?

LOL!

Nice one!

I can't explain it well but The Who are a sensation who had an amazing journey and they have no substitute.

But I digress ... anyway, anyhow ... music must change over time and sadly the song is over, but behind those blue eyes is more than a man with money but one of the most important voices of my generation and a success story, you better you bet!

On a more personal note, I wouldn't say any of them was a real good looking boy, though that could be a trick of the light. Or is it in my head?

Will you get serious for once? You are too creative Your Perfectness.

I Can See for Miles were you're going with this, but we Won't Get Fooled Again... Do You Think It's Alright? You've just dissmiss the natural beauty of these guys, but It's Not True The Kids Are Alright... you're probably had a little too much stuff, A Quick One, While He's Away, soon we'll call you The Acid Queen... your story stink, it's obvious to the Naked Eye... you should be Getting in Tune... Who Are You, some kind of a Sister Disco... we Had Enough of these thinly veiled stories, Cry If You Want, I do not care...

Ha!!!

Pinball Wizard

I'm a bit biased, because I discovered The Who on the TV show, Shindig, in 1965, while very much a young teenager. It was a promo film clip of "I Can't Explain." They played live, and I was blown away by every aspect of the band, visually and sonically. When I saw Keith Moon, I said, "That's how I want to play drums." He was my first rock drumming hero. I bought all their records, followed them in British rock magazines like, Rave, and in Melody Maker, and literally grew up as a huge fan, which I remain. I found The Who before any of my friends and eventually turned them all on to the band.

I saw them first at the Village Theatre (later the Fillmore East), in 1967, and have seen them a dozen times since. I have half a red Fender Telecaster body that Townshend smashed in '68, and I was privileged to interview Pete for Premier Guitar magazine a few years ago.

I can understand if some people don't much care for the music, but to deny Townshend's genius as a guitarist and songwriter is just plain short-sighted, IMO. The man is truly one of rock's greatest, like him or not. Daltrey is and always has been, one of the premier frontmen in rock, and Entwistle was one of the greatest bass players who ever lived. To say he couldn't play his way out of a paper bag, as some genius mentioned several posts ago, is total bullsh**. I would have given my left nut to have had a chance to play with John.

There simply has never been another band like The Who. And there will never be another.

It's 515 and my shift as Bell Boy is over...I'm Going Mobile and heading over to see Dr Jimmy who Can't Explain my problems but says they are probably a Trick Of The Light. My Wife is waiting at home with the Squeeze Box but if I don't get there soon she will accuse me of another Emminence Front and put her Slit Skirt on and turn her attention to the Pinball Wizard who offered her a real Bargain. That Athena, looks like I'm gonna have to play Rough Boy...or it will be Chinese eyes again for this Cowboy. I'm not sure if it is half full or if I'm holding an Empty Glass...

Will you get serious for once? You are too creative Your Perfectness.

Impossible to take it seriously, Lar. One Who/Moonie thread too many and I tipped over the edge. Now Henri and DMB are in on the act - it's all unravelling, Batman!

Never mind, it's all just elephant Talk. As a 21st century schizoid woman, no doubt confusion will be my epitaph and I might find myself in exiles, despite having made easy money.

Critics of The Who - get thy bearings! Yes, there was indiscipline and some wild indoor games with no warning, often involving ladies of the road, but those old dinosaurs were full of vroom vroom vroom!

If you don't know the Crimson catalogue ... http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_78595/king-crimson/songs

I don't know, when I saw them live, I thought the trumpet solo was next to as good as Entwistle's bass solo. But, if you think about it, musicals/operas never really have great music or dancing, though they usually have pretty entertaining music and dancing.

I would suggest that musicals/operas have GREAT music a high percentage of the time. (Don Giovani, La Traviata Carousel, Showboat, Porgy and Bess for example are immortal musical masterpieces) More complex than what most rock bands produce and played by better musicians usually. Granted they are composer mediums. It's all about the writing (musically) and it's interaction with the drama. An orchestra necessarily is a more varied pallet to work with than a rock quartet/quintet and generally takes more skill to write for. Should also point out that opera has been around for 400 years and ballet not much less(dance music). Rock has been around for about 60.

All right, Who's Next to comment on one of the greatest rock bands EVER?

People either "get" Keith Moon or they don't.

Keith Moon was more than a drummer...he was a force of nature.

To worry about his technical ability is missing the point...in my not-so-humble opinion.

One doesn't criticize a Jackson Pollack painting because it lacks classical technique.

One doesn't diminish a Bob Dylan song because of his vocal range.

...or...maybe one does.

Long Live Moonie!

Peace, MT

People either "get" Keith Moon or they don't.

Keith Moon was more than a drummer...he was a force of nature.

To worry about his technical ability is missing the point...in my not-so-humble opinion.

One doesn't criticize a Jackson Pollack painting because it lacks classical technique.

One doesn't diminish a Bob Dylan song because of his vocal range.

...or...maybe one does.

Long Live Moonie!

Peace, MT

I like your analogy about the painting, but sometimes people who don't particularly care for a Dali painting will still admire his technique, but in Pollack or Moons case, not so much.

IE I don't care for Moon's style, I wish I could hear more Entwhistle.

I would suggest that musicals/operas have GREAT music a high percentage of the time. (Don Giovani, La Traviata Carousel, Showboat, Porgy and Bess for example are immortal musical masterpieces) More complex than what most rock bands produce and played by better musicians usually. Granted they are composer mediums. It's all about the writing (musically) and it's interaction with the drama. An orchestra necessarily is a more varied pallet to work with than a rock quartet/quintet and generally takes more skill to write for. Should also point out that opera has been around for 400 years and ballet not much less(dance music). Rock has been around for about 60.

Right, they had 400 years of prior art to draw on, and still fell short of a decent musical.

It's 515 and my shift as Bell Boy is over...I'm Going Mobile and heading over to see Dr Jimmy who Can't Explain my problems but says they are probably a Trick Of The Light. My Wife is waiting at home with the Squeeze Box but if I don't get there soon she will accuse me of another Emminence Front and put her Slit Skirt on and turn her attention to the Pinball Wizard who offered her a real Bargain. That Athena, looks like I'm gonna have to play Rough Boy...or it will be Chinese eyes again for this Cowboy. I'm not sure if it is half full or if I'm holding an Empty Glass...

another Brilliant post!...... in addition to Anon La Ply's

I Can See for Miles were you're going with this, but we Won't Get Fooled Again... Do You Think It's Alright? You've just dissmiss the natural beauty of these guys, but It's Not True The Kids Are Alright... you're probably had a little too much stuff, A Quick One, While He's Away, soon we'll call you The Acid Queen... your story stink, it's obvious to the Naked Eye... you should be Getting in Tune... Who Are You, some kind of a Sister Disco... we Had Enough of these thinly veiled stories, Cry If You Want, I do not care...

Ha!!!

Pinball Wizard

just another classic!

I think comparing Moonie to the wind, earth, fire & water and/or Jackson Pollock might have a little to do with the confusion we non-believers feel.
It does seem to happen quite regularly around here. That said, to each his or her own. Personally, I love pumpkin.

Ha!!!

Pinball Wizard

Yes, I will give it to the Who, they were masters of managing expectations, and keeping them low.

I like your analogy about the painting, but sometimes people who don't particularly care for a Dali painting will still admire his technique, but in Pollack or Moons case, not so much.

But in Pollock's case it was the technique itself, not the lack of technique. You might be right that people don't really go "wow that Keith Moon trailblazed the Moonie technique" but people who don't particularly care for his technique still admire and recognize his style. I'd say that's probably the best you can do as a drummer, have people listen to a song and say, "wait, is that Grohl drumming?" I've had more than a couple guitarists tell me to play like Keith Moon on a song, and I know exactly what that means. I'll bet Townshend wrote songs for his style. That's a pretty powerful testament to his presence and legacy in pop music.

Back