DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Default Ramping up to the EmptyNestival again

It's the time of year for my favorite gig: the EmptyNestival is next Saturday. It's an outdoor private party, where some well-to-do local folks book a number of mostly blues bands to come in and tear it up for a Saturday from noon to midnight, for a crowd of a few hundred of their closest friends and neighbors. It is a celebration of when their kids all went off to school and finally left them alone a few years ago. Big barbecue, lots of adult beverage, and a great way to enjoy some of the last of the good weather before the snow flies.

We put a band together just for this: the bass player is from San Francisco, the primary guitarist/vocalist is from Atlanta (those two guys are brothers, and are also brothers of the host), and the rhythm guitarist and I are local here and have played together a number of times. We all exchange work tapes for a couple of months prior to the gig, so that we're on the same page. The material consists of 80% new original tunes to premiere, mostly written by the guitarist/vocalist. The brothers are flying in this Friday afternoon, so we'll get together here in the studio and rehearse Friday night, and then do the deal on Saturday. We only see each other these two days a year...

One 90-minute set of mostly original material, on one rehearsal. What a challenge, and what a blast.

Unfortunately, they say this will be the last EmptyNestival: the hosts are supposedly going to be selling off their property and downsizing into a condo, since the kids are well and truly gone now. If it really is the last one, I'll mourn its passing. We may have to keep this band together and actually do something with it this time...
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ramping up to the EmptyNestival again

Quote:
Originally Posted by skod View Post
It's the time of year for my favorite gig: the EmptyNestival is next Saturday. It's an outdoor private party, where some well-to-do local folks book a number of mostly blues bands to come in and tear it up for a Saturday from noon to midnight, for a crowd of a few hundred of their closest friends and neighbors. It is a celebration of when their kids all went off to school and finally left them alone a few years ago. Big barbecue, lots of adult beverage, and a great way to enjoy some of the last of the good weather before the snow flies.

We put a band together just for this: the bass player is from San Francisco, the primary guitarist/vocalist is from Atlanta (those two guys are brothers, and are also brothers of the host), and the rhythm guitarist and I are local here and have played together a number of times. We all exchange work tapes for a couple of months prior to the gig, so that we're on the same page. The material consists of 80% new original tunes to premiere, mostly written by the guitarist/vocalist. The brothers are flying in this Friday afternoon, so we'll get together here in the studio and rehearse Friday night, and then do the deal on Saturday. We only see each other these two days a year...

One 90-minute set of mostly original material, on one rehearsal. What a challenge, and what a blast.

Unfortunately, they say this will be the last EmptyNestival: the hosts are supposedly going to be selling off their property and downsizing into a condo, since the kids are well and truly gone now. If it really is the last one, I'll mourn its passing. We may have to keep this band together and actually do something with it this time...
Sounds like an absolute blast! I love events where everyone is in party mood before the band even comes on. Have a beer from me :) :) :)