DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Out of Print Drum Books

I was wondering if anyone has their favorite "out of print" books. I really like the Art of Drumming by J. Burns Moore. I'm not sure if it is out of print but it is sometimes difficult to find.

I also had Rock Steady from Vinny Appice. I lent it to one of my students a while ago and haven't been able to find it since. I wonder if I would still benefit form that book today.

Jeff
Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Out of Print Drum Books

I have a copy of Goldenburg's "Modern School for Snare Drum" that I treasure. It's about 18 years old, and dog-eared/torn/worn in all the right places. Pencil notes all over it...you name it. I remember the frustration the etudes were for me when I was in elementary/junior high. I appreciate what that book and the Harr books did for my playing more than any other books(for snare solos and whatnot).
Is that one still in print?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 AM
wy yung

I regret losing Bob Moses' book that was mentioned recently. I lost many books some years ago.

I am enjoying the new books coming onto the shelves though.

Drum books keep me broke!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Stick Control is the only book I've ever re-purchased, so I can't say I've ever looked for an out of print book.

But I am sad the Deen Castronovo drum video from the late 80's was never ever released on DVD.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Philly Joe Jones - Brush Artistry.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

I didn't realize that the Bob Moses book was out of print. That was a Modern Drummer publication. I wonder why it is out of print.

Modern School for Snare Drum has been updated and is still in print.
http://www.steveweissmusic.com/produ...are-drum-books

Jeff
Old 01-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Even with all the used stuff sold online some of these books are really hard to find. I even emailed Vinny Appice himself to see if he had a copy of Rock Steady that I could purchase from him. I never got a response.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Chapin's mammoth second volume of ATFTMD is one. There was an orphaned copy floating around the musician house where I lived in the 90's, and I stupidly never claimed it. Same with Philly Joe's book. I found my copy of Drum Wisdom used around that time and haven't seen another since. I'm looking for a copy of Marvin Dahlgren's original Drum Set Control book; I've never owned it.

A couple of barely-in-print (they're photocopied by the authors in small quantities) things I like are George Marsh's Inner Drumming, and Martin Bradfield's Interpretive Stickings books. Others that may not be long for this world are Joel Rothman's "Compleat" books- since he self-publishes, I don't know if those big volumes (or the rest of his catalog for that matter) will survive him. I'm a huge fan of The Compleat Jazz Drummer and many of his other books.

An interesting relic is a jazz book originally published in 1922, Straight's Modern Syncopated Rhythms for Drums. It contains early hints at some of the things that are done with Reed, and Wilcoxon's swing stuff. I was meaning to scan some excerpts and post them- it's pretty interesting.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Chapin's mammoth second volume of ATFTMD is one. There was an orphaned copy floating around the musician house where I lived in the 90's, and I stupidly never claimed it. Same with Philly Joe's book. I found my copy of Drum Wisdom used around that time and haven't seen another since. I'm looking for a copy of Marvin Dahlgren's original Drum Set Control book; I've never owned it.

A couple of barely-in-print (they're photocopied by the authors in small quantities) things I like are George Marsh's Inner Drumming, and Martin Bradfield's Interpretive Stickings books. Others that may not be long for this world are Joel Rothman's "Compleat" books- since he self-publishes, I don't know if those big volumes (or the rest of his catalog for that matter) will survive him. I'm a huge fan of The Compleat Jazz Drummer and many of his other books.

An interesting relic is a jazz book originally published in 1922, Straight's Modern Syncopated Rhythms for Drums. It contains early hints at some of the things that are done with Reed, and Wilcoxon's swing stuff. I was meaning to scan some excerpts and post them- it's pretty interesting.
Todd, looking for Chapin's second book? - here it is http://domfamularo.com/store/

What are the Interpretive Stickings books like? I did find this Martin Bradfield book online. http://www.steveweissmusic.com/produ...rumset-methods

Jeff

Last edited by jeffwj; 07-14-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, great! I figured that one was so costly to manufacture that there was no way it would still be in print. Re: Bradfield- I only have the first book of Interpretive Stickings- it basically explains in depth the types of methods usually applied to Syncopation. The second book is advertised at Steve Weiss, but they never seem to have it. He also has a Reed-like thing called The Rhythm Book, which fills in some of the gaps in Syncopation.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
I'm looking for a copy of Marvin Dahlgren's original Drum Set Control book; I've never owned it.
Hey Todd,

I e-mailed Ed Soph (through his UNT e-mail address) about that book a few years back, because I noticed it was on the UNT drum set curriculum; I was actually able to order a copy through him. It was a photocopied version; I believe he said that the school orders them directly from Dahlgren. So you might try that route--good luck!

One book that I think is very interesting but also very difficult to find is Alexander Lepak's "Control of the Drum Set: Phrasing for the Soloist." I don't know if it's technically out of print, but it looks like you can order copies from here:

http://members.cox.net/lepak/drumset.htm

Ed Pierce
Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Ed! I emailed Dahlgren some time ago but he never got back to me. I'll try Mr. Soph...

That Lepak book looks interesting too- you can also get that through Steve Weiss. They have everything.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 AM

"Soul on Bass" fantastic book - can't find one (mine is missing), only small mentions on the web. I thought it was Hal Leonard publishing - they had no record of it.

This book took you through simple to complex soul and funk drumming - mostly working your legs.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 AM

Found this topic via a Google search for something Marvin Dahlgren related.

Anyways. Thought some of you might be interested to know that Dahlgren's "Drum Set Control", plus a number of his other method books, are now available again from www.reallygoodmusic.com .

Patrice