Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

I hear they have been playing with a guy for quite some time now. They just havent announced who it is. Kinda silly, if you ask me.

vinnie is a session drummer .and does not tour like that. neal would never leave rush. and chris is not that tech drummer thay need . what thay need is a young diverse drummer some one like marco minneman .or dan carrie of tool some one who can play and change time signnatures fluently

What do you think Vinny has been doing for the last two years?Touring with Jeff Beck.Vinny has toured with many other artists also,so saying he's just a session drummer is not really accurate,and Danny Carrie is not really that young anymore.

Steve B

What do you think Vinny has been doing for the last two years?Touring with Jeff Beck.Vinny has toured with many other artists also,so saying he's just a session drummer is not really accurate,and Danny Carrie is not really that young anymore.

Steve B

He's still a session player. He doesn't have a band where he's an official member. Guys like Jeff Beck are able to take him on tour, but he's still just a hired touring musician.

Rumor has it that the unofficial rumor about Mike Mangini playing with Dream Theater will be announced officially tomorrow. Again, this is only a rumor.

Dream Theater has announced on their facebook that tomorrow (April 21st) they will announce the process used to determine who the drummer is. But they made no claim they would actually announce WHO they chose.

Odd timing, given TODAY is Mike Portnoy's birthday. But I suppose at least they're being nice and waiting a day. LOL.

Did anyone see this article? It's Hilarious

http://www.drummagazine.com/wiretap/post/mike-mangini-still-not-revealed-as-new-dt-drummer/

Mike Mangini Still Not Revealed As New Dream Theater Drummer
By Andy Doerschuk
Published April 19, 2011

(Left) Is there any doubt?

In what has become one of the worst kept secrets since Clay Aiken came out of the closet, Dream Theater continues to withhold the name of their new drummer (Mike Mangini?), who was chosen to fill the empty drum throne left when Mike Portnoy departed the celebrated progressive metal band last year.

To ensure that the final release of the new drummer’s name (Mike Mangini?) will be as anticlimactic as possible, Dream Theater has announced that this Thrusday, April 21, at 11:00 friggin’ A.M. (Atlantic time? Pacific time?) they will still not reveal the new drummer’s name ..

Dream Theater has announced on their facebook that tomorrow (April 21st) they will announce the process used to determine who the drummer is. But they made no claim they would actually announce WHO they chose.

Odd timing, given TODAY is Mike Portnoy's birthday. But I suppose at least they're being nice and waiting a day. LOL.

Did anyone see this article? It's Hilarious

http://www.drummagazine.com/wiretap/post/mike-mangini-still-not-revealed-as-new-dt-drummer/

They are really milking this one... Regardless, I think Mike Mangini would be an interesting change of pace for the band.

MORE FROM SICKDRUMMER

"A source very close to the situation has told Sick Drummer Magazine the new drummer is Mike Mangini, and others who were asked/auditioned were: Derek Roddy, Marco Minnemann, Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, Aquiles Priester and Peter Wildoer."

What we do not like about this situation is the way the band went about the video footage detail. We feel the drummers were used in a sense, for their popularity. Each drummer was sent a camera to use and were asked to film as much as they could surrounding the audition. They were told it was to become "bonus footage" on a future DVD or something to that effect. The drummers were asked to film themselves preparing for the audition, practicing, traveling to the audition and anything else they felt relative. Then, upon arriving at the actual audition the drummers were asked to sign a release handing over all the video footage they had recorded, and if they didn't, they were not going to be able to audition.

We feel this is somewhat taking advantage of the drummers who auditioned and could have been handled a better way. Perhaps informing the drummers of the plan and sending a video release to be reviewed in advance. Not sticking them with a release at the audition and holding that over their heads as a requirement to audition, only to use the footage to steam up the facebook page around the announcement of the new drummer."

If I were a drummer with the name rec of these guys I would be infuriated by this low brow cattle call-beauty pageant. Frankly I'm shocked that guys with name rec equal these days to the band itself would allow it. This isn't the famous Metalica bass auditions. This is a Dregs knockoff that just so happened to become a little more popular. Now is that a bad thing? No, of course not. DT is a fine group in its genre. But they haven''t really sold in a very long time. Now see this is what I like about the jazz guys. Even when 40s swing was the music of the land, the audition process was never like this.

Anyway, congrats Mike. It's a tech band and nobody does tech with high musicianship like Mike.

Anyway, congrats Mike. It's a tech band and nobody does tech with high musicianship like Mike.
To my ear, Virgil clearly does.
This isn't the famous Metalica bass auditions. This is a Dregs knockoff that just so happened to become a little more popular. Now is that a bad thing? No, of course not. DT is a fine group in its genre. But they haven''t really sold in a very long time. Now see this is what I like about the jazz guys. Even when 40s swing was the music of the land, the audition process was never like this.
I'd say that's business...! Which by the way isn't confirmed. Who says it's true? As long as I don't know otherwise,
I'll give John Petrucci & Co. the credit of handling the situation professionally, and with proper communication to
the seven auditioning drummers.

What we do not like about this situation is the way the band went about the video footage detail. We feel the drummers were used in a sense, for their popularity. Each drummer was sent a camera to use and were asked to film as much as they could surrounding the audition. They were told it was to become "bonus footage" on a future DVD or something to that effect. The drummers were asked to film themselves preparing for the audition, practicing, traveling to the audition and anything else they felt relative. Then, upon arriving at the actual audition the drummers were asked to sign a release handing over all the video footage they had recorded, and if they didn't, they were not going to be able to audition.

We're going to make you an offer you can't refuse.

It would never hold up legally. Contracts signed under duress are not enforceable.

We feel this is somewhat taking advantage of the drummers who auditioned and could have been handled a better way. Perhaps informing the drummers of the plan and sending a video release to be reviewed in advance. Not sticking them with a release at the audition and holding that over their heads as a requirement to audition, only to use the footage to steam up the facebook page around the announcement of the new drummer."

If I were a drummer with the name rec of these guys I would be infuriated by this low brow cattle call-beauty pageant. Frankly I'm shocked that guys with name rec equal these days to the band itself would allow it. This isn't the famous Metalica bass auditions. This is a Dregs knockoff that just so happened to become a little more popular. Now is that a bad thing? No, of course not. DT is a fine group in its genre. But they haven''t really sold in a very long time. Now see this is what I like about the jazz guys. Even when 40s swing was the music of the land, the audition process was never like this.

I love how people talk like they know everything.........nothing in these statements is true.
It wasn't a cattle call, it wasn't sneaky, there were no words about if you didn't want to be taped....you weren't not auditioning........none of that.

Those guys were totally up front, professional, honest and cool about EVERYTHING.

D

I love how people talk like they know everything.........nothing in these statements is true.
It wasn't a cattle call, it wasn't sneaky, there were no words about if you didn't want to be taped....you weren't not auditioning........none of that.

Those guys were totally up front, professional, honest and cool about EVERYTHING.

D

Derek, I couldn't get my quotation borders to come up. Most of that was the actual Sickdrummer article.

My part was the last paragraph where I stated if in possession of the name rec of you guys I would have not liked such a thing. I was merely reacting to the article, alongside the fact that the whole buildup could have been handled much better in deference to the kind of talent they asked to audition.

Derek, I couldn't get my quotation borders to come up. Most of that was the actual Sickdrummer article.

My part was the last paragraph where I stated if in possession of the name rec of you guys I would have not liked such a thing. I was merely reacting to the article, alongside the fact that the whole buildup could have been handled much better in deference to the kind of talent they asked to audition.

Yeah, sorry Matt......I didn't think you said that....I was just quoting the paragraph and it happened to be your post.

No worries.....just wanted to set the record straight as I was there.

D

D

Derek. you're destroying all of our rumor and careless innuendo with cold hard facts. :)

Since we still don't really know, I'm hoping it is you. I think you would bring a lot of soul to the band.

Yeah, sorry Matt......I didn't think you said that....I was just quoting the paragraph and it happened to be your post.

No worries.....just wanted to set the record straight as I was there.

D

Cool man...I didn't think so but I wanted to be clear.

This morning Dream Theater released a video discussing the drummer auditions, and confirmed the men mentioned in the article did audition.

But they still did not say whom they actually selected.

As a long time fan, this build up and attempt to make it dramatic is a bit ridiculous.

Derek, congrats on being one of the 7 to get an audition and thank you for posting. Even if you don't get the gig, it must be a cool to say you were one of only 7 to be considered.

The band may have been upfront and honest with you, but they're not being upfront and honest with their fans about this.

Derek, congrats on being one of the 7 to get an audition and thank you for posting. Even if you don't get the gig, it must be a cool to say you were one of only 7 to be considered.

The band may have been upfront and honest with you, but they're not being upfront and honest with their fans about this.

Yeah, was cool to be asked to do it. I've never been a big Dream Theater fan but, when a gig like that comes up....you have to least make the audition.

As far as the band being up front with their fans.......I'm sure they want too but, there are some legal issues that needs to be addressed and that takes precedence over what "can be said or announced".

I'm sure you guys can figure it out......and, I am certain that they knew who they wanted before these auditions were even thought about.

One thing that was said directly to me was....."whoever it will be.....it's got to be the fans choice...someone the fans are completely happy with".

D

@DR
I think its speaks very highly of the level of your playing to be included in a group with technical monsters such as Virgil.

@DR
I think its speaks very highly of the level of your playing to be included in a group with technical monsters such as Virgil.

Thank you sir.
Yes, it was a great honor that they asked me....I was surprised actually. My wife and I laughed about it for days! Haha.

When I can...I'll tell you all the details up to the audition....how I got the call, etc....

Was a lot of fun.

D

Thank you sir.
Yes, it was a great honor that they asked me....I was surprised actually. My wife and I laughed about it for days! Haha.

When I can...I'll tell you all the details up to the audition....how I got the call, etc....

Was a lot of fun.

D

Cool...I'm sure alot of members would love hear the details.

Just curious - do you feel like you played to your best abilities aka you nailed it!

I'm never happy after an audition...like my last one even tho I just made the band.

Back