DW for $23K?

pgm554

Platinum Member
Was at the local music store the other day and saw a set of DW drums on sale for $10K.

Sticker shock for most poor drummers out there ,but list price was $23K.

You can buy a new car for $23K.

I mean really?

Not a fair comparison.
You can buy a rare coin for $23k too.
You can buy all the ingredients that the local bakery
needs for the week with $23k.

Apples and oranges man.
:)

Very expensive apples. Buy enough trees to start an orchard

Was at the local music store the other day and saw a set of DW drums on sale for $10K.

I mean really?

So don't buy it! Is this a bitch about DW prices or a sycophants attempt to express what he thinks everyone else here agrees with. You keep insisting they're overpriced, while people with money keep the DW company at capacity. I guess all the people with money must be stupid? Rich people dumb, poor people smart! Yay! Good for you.

By definition, no ply drum set can be worth that much. It's plywood, for Pete's sake. Guru turns out segment sets that sound better for far, far less, and that's not even touching on the good metal and spun fiberglass sets that are available. All of which beat the heck out of ply drums.

Get real.

By definition, no ply drum set can be worth that much. It's plywood, for Pete's sake. Guru turns out segment sets that sound better for far, far less, and that's not even touching on the good metal and spun fiberglass sets that are available. All of which beat the heck out of ply drums.

Get real.

I just puked in the back of my mouth a little. You drink the Kool- Aid. Really? Do you own a Guru or A DW? I'd love love to hear your expert thoughts and not just a rehash of what you've read here. "By definition, no ply drum set can be worth that much". Guru "turns out segment sets that sound better for far, far less".

I just puked in the back of my mouth a little. You drink the Kool- Aid. Really? Do you own a Guru or A DW? I'd love love to hear your expert thoughts and not just a rehash of what you've read here. "By definition, no ply drum set can be worth that much". Guru "turns out segment sets that sound better for far, far less".

There's a reason people are willing to pay extra for stave, segment, steambent, and hollowed-log drums. If you're curious as to why, take a trip over to the Drum Gear subforum on this site and read up on it. No I don't own any Guru drums, but I have a steambent rosewood drum that I definitely enjoy. Ply drums are a compromise, not an ideal to pay top dollar for. There are so many other options available these days.

DW and others are producing drums not unlike the collectors plates you see on late night sales channels.
Look ,we have a limited number run of Elvis douche bag collector plates and when they run out ,that's it!
So invest your 401K.

I mean really?
554, can you tell me a little more about the kit? Finish, number of drums, etc.

Get real.

Let's pretend the Sticks4drums for DW isn't here. How about that fg kit you got. I really think, after seeing their kit with the Inde hardware, that those will be my next purchase.

I've played a lot of Guru kits. I own a Guru snare (an early one). I've played DW kits.

Nope. No comparison. DW make nice drums - but they don't make sets that are worth $10K. $10K is just profit margin. Guru kits aren't $10K.

As for the spun fibreglass and the metal kits - they do take a lot of getting right. Fibreglass is tricky to work with and you don't have any margin for error with metal. Plywood is an easy material to work with and the manufacture of the shells is fantastically simple on an industrial scale.

Well, prices are relative. If you paid 23k for a kit, and you work a lot, your car would be priced accordingly as well. You'd at least be driving a 60k minivan ;)

If the entire DW kit was made the way they do their solid-shell snares, it would be more interesting, but stilll not worth 10K. Maybe 7K if it were totally free-floating in addition, like Sleishmans or Page/Hudson.

Let's pretend the Sticks4drums for DW isn't here. How about that fg kit you got. I really think, after seeing their kit with the Inde hardware, that those will be my next purchase.

They're ridiculously resonant. There's a reason Hal Blaine fell in love with the sound.

I'm actually working with a guy who is producing prototype hardware for a totally free-floating kit right now. In the meanwhile, I'm thinking about trying to get Sleishman to let me buy some of their free-floating hardware to put the Blaemire shells in. Even more resonance can't hurt.

Well, prices are relative. If you paid 23k for a kit, and you work a lot, your car would be priced accordingly as well. You'd at least be driving a 60k minivan ;)

I don't know if they make 60K minivans, but maybe you could have it pimped out and souped up. Maybe some spinners on the rims and a racing engine/tranny/suspension.

List price / MSRP is a tired, tired scam. The sad thing is that it still works, like pricing something at $1.99 instead of $2.00. People will say "OMG it's on sale for half price!" when MSRP is $200 and it's "on sale" for $100. They'll say "it's only $1!" when something is marked $1.99.

So the real price is, and always was, $10k. Even if I had the money I don't think there's a type of kit I'd pay that much for ... even if it was some hand-made rare wood hollow log or whatever, I'd be too scared to ever play it. Can you imagine if you scratched the finish?

the hate on DW drums around here is tiresome. They are just drums, you no likee, no buyee. I don't own any so have no horse in this race but a Black Beauty is also overpriced IMO.... but there are few rants on that here.

Back