DW 9000 vs. DW 5000

I picked up an open box 8002 last week for cheap. I noticed the cam issue as well. Ended up returning it. Too bulky feeling and i don't like the heel plate at all on the DW's. I've been looking for a powerglide IC to mess around with, can't seem to find one for the right price yet.

I picked up an open box 8002 last week for cheap. I noticed the cam issue as well. Ended up returning it. Too bulky feeling and i don't like the heel plate at all on the DW's. I've been looking for a powerglide IC to mess around with, can't seem to find one for the right price yet.

I dont know where you are but there are 2 on CL in the SF Bay Area.

One for $180

One for $225

I got one on the same CL for $220 in excellant condition.

Ok, I play with a pretty damn decent PDP pedal, but i'm ready to upgrade to something that will increase my speed. I play Metal, and I want my kick speed to be fast, as in, Joey Jordison, Chris Adler, and Jason Bitner. I have $600 to spend on pedals. I haven't ever played on the Axis Pedals, so if someone could tell me where they rank with the DW's, I would really appreciate it. I play with a link pedal by the way. I played 2 different pairs of DW 9000 and they seemed very "loose" and "sloppy" because, the reaction time, as in how long it takes the pedal to bounce back up to be stomped down again, seemed really slow. I played on 1 pair of 5000's and they seemed great, nice sturdy, solid pedals with great reaction time. I don't know much about cam adjustments and all that, but I like my pedals to be sturdy enough where have to put a little bit of strength into my foot, but light enough so I can go fast. I appreciate anyone that cares to help me out.

well its really more of: the one that is worth more is the one that is worth more having, thing
i own both of them, dw 9002 kicks ass, it has unlimited adjustability options. go for it, give it a try, you wont regret it (also, buy the tama beaters, i find them to work better than the dee dubs)

If you can't get it done w/ a DW 5000...It's not the pedal.
The same goes for any new pro pedal, generally speaking.
I have a 9000 at home and I gig w/ a 5000. The 9000 is smooth. I prefer the feel of the less expensive 5000 though, but the 9000 doesn't limit me in any way.
It's not the arrow (pedal), it's the Indian (drummer).

It's not the arrow (pedal), it's the Indian (drummer).

This is true, but it comes down to a matter of comfort. I *can* play w/ the 9000...all the same notes that I can w/ the 5000, it just doesn't feel as good. It's so smooth that it feels less responsive and powerful under-foot. This really surprised and disappointed me. I suppose I expected all that the 5000 offered, and then some.

I feel like I should keep dinking with it to see if I can grow comfortable with it, it's a better quality pedal with more options (should they ever be needed.) I dunno. I might hang onto it.

This is true, but it comes down to a matter of comfort. I *can* play w/ the 9000...all the same notes that I can w/ the 5000, it just doesn't feel as good. It's so smooth that it feels less responsive and powerful under-foot. This really surprised and disappointed me. I suppose I expected all that the 5000 offered, and then some.

I feel like I should keep dinking with it to see if I can grow comfortable with it, it's a better quality pedal with more options (should they ever be needed.) I dunno. I might hang onto it.

I think you should just get it over with and sell it, 'cause you're just going to put yourself through more misery--and you can get your money back out of it now if you don't wait and play on it more. Fancy "features" mean nothing if it feels like crap under your foot.

I felt the same way when I played it. It was supposed to be.... and it fell totally flat with me.

Back when they changed the 5000's foot board and heel, they didn't feel as good as the previous model for me either. That sucked big time because I really wanted a second 5000 strap pedal.

It worked out that I got speed, a smooth feel, and power from the IC Flexi, and the Eliminator (Red cam).
I stuck with the Eliminator because it just felt better under my foot, and the feel going each way was "the same" for me.
The IC Flexi with the change to the Cobra Coil is really nice now too (I got mine years ago), but being as I have 3 Eliminators...I'm not buying another pedal anytime soon :)

Good luck!

I think you should just get it over with and sell it, 'cause you're just going to put yourself through more misery--and you can get your money back out of it now if you don't wait and play on it more. Fancy "features" mean nothing if it feels like crap under your foot.

I felt the same way when I played it. It was supposed to be.... and it fell totally flat with me.

Back when they changed the 5000's foot board and heel, they didn't feel as good as the previous model for me either. That sucked big time because I really wanted a second 5000 strap pedal.

It worked out that I got speed, a smooth feel, and power from the IC Flexi, and the Eliminator (Red cam).
I stuck with the Eliminator because it just felt better under my foot, and the feel going each way was "the same" for me.
The IC Flexi with the change to the Cobra Coil is really nice now too (I got mine years ago), but being as I have 3 Eliminators...I'm not buying another pedal anytime soon :)

Good luck!

Yep. I had the band over for rehearsal tonight and I tried 3 times to make the 9000 work. It's weak. I tried it w/ the DW beater...the IC beater...both with one, and then two counterweights. I tried raising the spring tension. Either way, it doesn't have the raw throw power that the 5000 has. I'm returning this thing...it's no good for me.

I love the 9000 hi hat stand though...it's a big improvement over the 5000 I've been using for 4 years now.

First a new pedal isn't going to make you faster. But lots of practice will.

I've owned DW, Axis,Iron Cobra and currently Pearl. Non of them improved my speed. Did I like some better than others? yes!

In my opinion I'm using a Pearl Eliminator now, but the new Tama Speed Cobra is hands down the nicest pedal out there.

Stay away from the Pearl Demon Drive.. It will not make you faster with the cool name it has. I think it actually sucks compared to the Eliminator.

I played with a DW 5000 for almost 12 years. Currently I am considering Axis or some cheaper DW's because of financial reasons.I used pdp , the pedal that was around 120, I had to buy in a pinch. The pedal just fell apart inside a year. DW makes very good pedals, the same can't be said about pdp, they are good, but if you put your pedals through a work out , then I would go with 5000

I play in a hard rock band and use my double alot..maybe I'm too old here but I had an IC and it had some problems with bearings actually falling apart, 2 years ago I picked up a used Pulse for well under $100 on ebay and have never seen a need to change. I like to spend my $$ on cymbals and snares. I'm very comfortable with the pulse it seems well built has the double chain and seems very smooth..I fooled with a Dualist for awhile and where I liked it alot I found myself going back to my reliable Pulse...am I missing something..guess I'll try out a 5000 next time I'm at the music store..but to this point just haven't felt the need to make a change.

I bought a DW 5000 Turbo single pedal 12 years ago, about a year after they first came out and I have beaten that thing into oblivian and it just won't die! Well, it's starting to and now I find myself shopping for a new one.

I toured in a punk band with this pedal (DW 5000 Turbo) for 4 years, played AT LEAST 500 shows with it and never even had to adjust it. It was flawless! The base plate is bent up on one corner, I have worn half of the teeth off of the sprocket and never had to change the springs and it is as smooth as the day I bought it.

Anyway, this thread has helped me confirm my next pedal purchase which will be the DW 5000 AD3 double. The last thing that I ever had to worry about since I bought this DW pedal is my DW pedal! I kept leaning back and forth between the 8000 or the 5000 and the apparent sprocket issues with the 8000 and 9000 have made up my mind to go for another 5000 model. So thank you!

The direct drive pedals scare me a little. I have a very heavy foot so durability would be my biggest concern.

I play with a DW9000 and the DW Pro Beaters. (The normal ones are too heavy and I hate them)

The drum store where I take lessons has a kit with a DW5000 and I can say that it's a much better pedal. I wish I had one.

I absolutely love my DW5000. I would never use anything else. I've tried so many pedals, and though they are a bit pricey, I'll buy another if/when this one breaks. I have a bit of an older one, and I like it more than some of the newer double chain models that I've tried. 9000's aren't worth the money.

But out of all the pedals I've tried, (Axis, Gibraltar, Iron Cobras, Speed Cobras, Eliminators, Speed Kings, and a few Sonors), DW's are my favorites.

As a long time DW 5000 Turbo user, I'm now going to try the 5000 Ad3 for use in 'rock' situations. I mostly play jazz, swing, and big band but have played rock regularly over the years.

Any TD3 users find the AD3 advantageous in rock or other situations?

As a long time DW 5000 Turbo user, I'm now going to try the 5000 Ad3 for use in 'rock' situations. I mostly play jazz, swing, and big band but have played rock regularly over the years.

Any TD3 users find the AD3 advantageous in rock or other situations?
I used a DW5000 Turbo single for 30 years. I don't think they even had Accelerators back when I bought mine. :)

Anyway, two years ago I decided to go to a double-pedal just to give me more options. I bought a new double-chain Accelerator. First thing I noticed was that these things were HUGE compared to my old 5000 pedal, taking up so much more footprint than my original.

The second thing I noticed was that I just couldn't get a good feel out of them, no matter what adjustments I made. I couldn't even play a double with one foot in perfect time, let alone triplets. It was like I had no control whatsoever compared to the Turbo. Needless to say, I sold the double-chain Accelerator.

With luck I found an old stock single-chain double pedal that someone was selling on EBay that was virtually brand-new. Same exact model as my old smaller footprint model, plus I think Turbos have more of a "direct" feel.

So, for me, the Accelerators were a DISadvantage. ;-)

I have an original DW5000, silver colored frame and footboard, from about 1980 with a DanMar red wood beater. This model has a centered sprocket with a single thin chain. It's set with a light spring tension

I've used this as my regular pedal for 30 years without a single problem on all types of gigs from rock to jazz to big band. It just works great.

Adamsdad,
I too, have one of those. I think I bought it around 1990, but it was new and probably had been sitting on the shelf all that time. I have since bought a newer turbo with the newer heel plate. It took a while to get used to that but it's been my only pedal to use for years now.

I just received the new AD3 yesterday and I must say that my double strokes where almost effortless, immediately. The length of stroke will take a while for me to adapt. I plan to use both the Turbo & the AD3, depending on the situation. We'll see how that will play out...

The DW 5000 Turbo Drive is an awesome pedal! It's built like a tank, is big enough for people with larger feet like myself (Size 13), and is fast and responsive. The best pedal I've ever used, hands down.

Update -
It seems that after 20+ years of playing a 5000 Turbo, this AD3 is becoming my pedal choice. Identical to the TD3, except for the sprocket cam. Yes, it's built like a tank and if the TD3 drives like a luxury car, then the AD3 drives like that of an Italian sports car.
It depends on your preference. Love both, but becoming a big fan of the "Accelerator"!

Back