My Liverpool 4 Ludwigs

wooltonboy

Pioneer Member
After years and years of playing, I finally hooked up with a full costume/authentic instrument Beatle Tribute Band.
I've always lusted after a Ludwig OBP kit, but just couldn't find a good used one for sale, and the new "Bowling Ball" finish that Ludwig has been putting out on their Accent and Classic Maple "Fab Four" kits, just didn't appear close to the original OBP wrap to me.
So, I bit the bullet, and just bought the new Liverpool 4 replica 100th Anniversary kit.
Sizes are 9x13, 16x16, 14x22 kick, with 5x14 snare.
This is really well done, (albeit expensive!), but a really close representation of the 60's kit. It's in the Legacy series, so it also has the 3-ply shells with re-inforcement hoops.
I also have picked up a couple of the new Zildjian Armand series cymbals to go with the kit, to try to be as authentic as possible.
Here's some quick pics I took...I will post some more detailed ones when I get a chance
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• luddie2003.jpg
    luddie2003.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,343
  • luddie2007.jpg
    luddie2007.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,365
  • luddies009.jpg
    luddies009.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,235
  • luddie2005.jpg
    luddie2005.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,281
Very nice! I'm sure no one in the audience will be able to tell they're replicas.

I've played the reincarnation of the Cavern several times. Never played the original. I'm from Liverpool and used to play the scene regularly. You'd be surprised how many acts in the area are using this style of kit, for obvious reasons. I have a few friends who own original versions and I know they paid a lot of money for them, even in not so good condition. Your kit looks superb. I assume it sounds as good as it looks. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. You're certainly using it in the right setting. Congratulations on finding your ideal band. Good luck!

P.S are you from Woolton?

very nice

and tough loss to the blues
Thanks Drumbum, and yes, the loss was of our own making.....something very wrong with our team it seems.
Cheers
Phil

I've played the reincarnation of the Cavern several times. Never played the original. I'm from Liverpool and used to play the scene regularly. You'd be surprised how many acts in the area are using this style of kit, for obvious reasons. I have a few friends who own original versions and I know they paid a lot of money for them, even in not so good condition. Your kit looks superb. I assume it sounds as good as it looks. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. You're certainly using it in the right setting. Congratulations on finding your ideal band. Good luck!

P.S are you from Woolton?

Hi K.I.S,
Thanks for the compliments....I haven't even tried it out as yet. Being a limited edition, I'm taking the Anniversary logo heads off, and replacing them with Ambassadors this week.
If I ever (very unlikely) sell the kit down the road, I think it'd be better to have all the original heads on it.
You're a lucky man playing the Cavern! I've been following a "YouTube" tribute band called Cavern Beat from Chicago, and they just got back from the Beatlefest, and they were a big hit at the Cavern.
Yeah, I'm from Woolton, but was born in Liverpool 8 (Lodge lane area) and came to Canada in '68 when I was 13 years old.
Thanks again
Cheers
Phil

especially benayoun missing a wide open goal at the end

Yeah, but he should have been on from the start...that's one of the issues we have. A player plays a blinder, and doesn't start the next match! Go figure
Phil

Sweet looking drums. Ludwig did a great job, both with the Legacy shell and the BOP wrap. Question though, is your bass player a lefty?

Sweet looking drums. Ludwig did a great job, both with the Legacy shell and the BOP wrap. Question though, is your bass player a lefty?

Thanks Harry,
Unfortunately, no he's a righty. But, we do have all the Riks.Hofner, Gretsch and Vox etc, so the Luds will be a nice addition for sure.
They are very very good, but I don't know why they didn't go a step further and use the vintage style bass drum claws though. That would have really capped it off.
I was wondering also, how difficult is it to put the vintage Keystone badges on as a replacement? I see them on EBay all the time.
If it can be done, I'd certainly keep the anniversary badges, to re-install if needed.
Maybe you can comment on that for me?
Cheers
Phil

Two questions sir................how much was your liverpool 4, and where did you get it from? I'm finding it impossible to get this kit in the UK.

cheers

Nice kit! I think to finish off the classic look, you should replace the spurs with the classic old fold-out ones from the '60s.....and experience true bass drum creeping!

Back