DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-14-2018, 02:55 PM

Default Setting Up My Pearl Icon (WIP)

I recently moved into my house and this is the first time that I can have my full set in one place. I got a rack over a year ago and starting buying up parts for the day when my wife and I would have a house. Now I am finally setting up the set with rack.

Here is what I am trying to pull off:

Here is my set:

Name:  minex.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  112.9 KB

As much as I love how Pearl setup the top setup for the product photo shoot, it's not really functional friendly in my opinion. I am gonna keep toying with the setup and move my kicks and snare back a bit maybe that will free up my space to adjust the rack toms. Plus, I noticed I am losing a lot of "rack real estate" by using the RJ-50 extensions.

What do you guys think? This will be a work-in-progress thread. Stay tuned lol

Last edited by CaptJackSparrow; 06-14-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Image upload
Old 06-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Setting Up My Pearl Icon

Try posting your pic again. This is what we see.

You may want to save your pic to a device and then upload using the "Manage Attachments" option under "Additional Options".
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Try posting your pic again. This is what we see.

You may want to save your pic to a device and then upload using the "Manage Attachments" option under "Additional Options".
Good looking out! Fixed!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJackSparrow View Post
... I noticed I am losing a lot of "rack real estate" by using the RJ50 extensions.
Isn't the RJ50 a 6" mini-extension? Which I don't see used in the factory photo you provided.
Could you post a photo of your rack.
edit

And there it is (your photo).
Yeah, you may wanna take out the RJ50's. The factory set up looks like they only use three of the 44" curved bars. Without moving the position of the front bar relative to the bass drums, remove the RJ50's .....

Last edited by harryconway; 06-14-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 PM

Yeah, that's I was thinking after I got the toms mounted. I'll be tinkering later tonight. I'll try and get a pic up then.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Initial setup with a rack can be really finnicky and frustrating. I start the same as any other kit: make sure the snare drum and pedal placement feels good. From there, set up mounted toms to where they feel good. If that's squared away, then I'll step back and see if I can make any aesthetic improvements. It's all about getting the cross bar in the right spot relative to your body. Usually I just do the front cross bar by itself, but you can't really do that with your implementation. If I were to use dual kicks with the icon, I'd probably do a cross bar over each kick and join them with the RJ50, it's just going to be an easier and more practical set up, especially if you gig

I'd agree that RJ50 units are just getting in your way. It's just adding more points of adjustment to try and align. Ditch it and connect the long bars directly to the down tubes, or try the single cross bar above the each kick idea. You may want to get an extra section, but you probably won't need it. You could probably use a single support leg with an RJ50 to act as a union for crossbars if you want to keep the kicks closer together, but I like all my sections to be as modular as possible for gigging set ups. I've also never been shy about cutting things to suit my needs, so YMMV.

Also, keep in mind that those photoshoot kits are put together primarily with marketing in mind, playability is an afterthought.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
Initial setup with a rack can be really finnicky and frustrating. I start the same as any other kit: make sure the snare drum and pedal placement feels good. From there, set up mounted toms to where they feel good. If that's squared away, then I'll step back and see if I can make any aesthetic improvements. It's all about getting the cross bar in the right spot relative to your body. Usually I just do the front cross bar by itself, but you can't really do that with your implementation. If I were to use dual kicks with the icon, I'd probably do a cross bar over each kick and join them with the RJ50, it's just going to be an easier and more practical set up, especially if you gig

I'd agree that RJ50 units are just getting in your way. It's just adding more points of adjustment to try and align. Ditch it and connect the long bars directly to the down tubes, or try the single cross bar above the each kick idea. You may want to get an extra section, but you probably won't need it. You could probably use a single support leg with an RJ50 to act as a union for crossbars if you want to keep the kicks closer together, but I like all my sections to be as modular as possible for gigging set ups. I've also never been shy about cutting things to suit my needs, so YMMV.

Also, keep in mind that those photoshoot kits are put together primarily with marketing in mind, playability is an afterthought.
Good stuff here! Thanks! I am ditching the RJ-50s and going to just have center bar connect to the RJ-100s. I will also try having a bar per kick drum. Can't hurt.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:38 PM

Ok, I took out the RJ-50 extensions and I am extremely happy with the rack. Shame I couldn't pull of the photo-shoot look, but oh well I am gonna find a creative solution for them. I might attach them to the front drum legs and create a cymbal stand space or maybe for a table.

Also, I have a box of rack clamps buried under boxes in my garage. Once I find them, I'll be able to add my other stands. STAY TUNED!

Name:  mine2x.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  121.6 KB
Old 06-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Big improvement over your 1st version.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Big improvement over your 1st version.
Thanks! I think I am going to lower the bars about an inch or so and see how low I can go without bottoming out on the kicks.

I have some more parts coming in too. Never ends.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Just make sure when you lower the bar the bouncing toms don't bounce off of the bass drums.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Just make sure when you lower the bar the bouncing toms don't bounce off of the bass drums.
Yeah, I am already dealing with that. I am thinking about taking off the 13" tom and just going with my 10" & 12". Going 2 up & 2 down and the 13" is in limbo. lol It's a massive tom.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:20 PM

I lowered the rack and moved some toms around. I put the 14" and 16" together and the 13" on my left by the hats.

I also tossed the extensions and the rack joints on for a alternative stand holder for some creative positions for stands/mics.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

Looks good, I ran a similar arrangement for quite some time.

Are you planning on adding anything else on the front crossbar? If not, and you gig with that, you might be happier just placing the toms back in the bass drum mounts. It's a fair amount of hassle for two toms. My ego justified it by throwing some splashes up there.

If you're just keeping it at home, go wild.

RJ50's: I'm sure there could be some creative uses for them. The first thing that comes to mind is ditching the tripods from some boom mic stands and using them to support spaced pair overheads.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
.....ditch the tripods from some boom mic stands and use them to support spaced pair overheads.
I've always found mounting mic stands off my rack leads to them picking up unwanted vibrations - even with isolation clips. See lots of pro's doing it though - not sure where I'm going wrong......
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Looks good, I ran a similar arrangement for quite some time.

Are you planning on adding anything else on the front crossbar? If not, and you gig with that, you might be happier just placing the toms back in the bass drum mounts. It's a fair amount of hassle for two toms. My ego justified it by throwing some splashes up there.

If you're just keeping it at home, go wild.

RJ50's: I'm sure there could be some creative uses for them. The first thing that comes to mind is ditching the tripods from some boom mic stands and using them to support spaced pair overheads.
I plan on placing splashes on the front rack. I will also be putting more stands and cymbals/stacks on the sides. I just have my low volume cymbals setup for the moment. In the coming months, I'll be buying some more goodies.