DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

Default Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Doing some recording of late and I was extremely flustered at my lack of control over my Trick Bigfoots when it came to complex patterns.

Admittedly, I am a very straightforward player and my sixteenth’s are just straight ahead, with very few patterns thrown in.

But for this recording, I was really trying to go for broke.

While playing, I found that the longboards seemed to be fighting me. I have good balance, but it just seemed like my foot had to travel a lot more in order to get the stroke in, and that often put me off balance, particularly while switching parts or playing fills in the next bar.

Being your typical frustrated drummer who blames his tools (well, not really, these are great pedals), I figured that I would try out a short board to see whether things improved.

I like the feel of my Tricks and they had an option to buy just the short board assembly to modify my pedals, so I placed an order.

Just wanted to see if anyone else with longboards ever moved back to regular size boards.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone switch from longboards to short boards?

Yea man, I started out on long boards and they're much easier to use. It's just less struggle.

Went to short boards and feel like there's more maneuverability it's just a bit more work.

Honestly though, I like a quality body-board over any stand up surf. Charging down the wave headfirst is it's own thrill.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 AM
Gold Member

I found the angle on the longboards tougher to handle with anything requiring finesse. Had an Axis Short, loved it. Had a great idea the longs would be better, so she’d the short for longs and ended up hating them. Went to DW 9000, but that was too short, went to Yamaha Direct Drives, great pedals, but still felt they were too short, shorter than the Axis short anyway. Went to Mapex Falcon and they are exactly the right length.

I can get the footboard much higher than longboards, but have my heel firmly on the heel plate when I need to. Also far less finicky with the sweet spot. You have to constantly ride your foot up and down the footboard on longboards to stay in the sweet spot for a particular feel. That’s just way too much to think about. I just like throwing down a pedal and not thinking about it. Longboards were anything but set it and forget it for me.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

Does Trick sell a conversion kit?
Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
Does Trick sell a conversion kit?
Yes, they do. A bit pricey at $119 per board, but cheaper than buying a whole new pedal.

I like the response of my pedals, could go really, really fast. But when it came to playing syncopated kick rhythms, I found that the slightly longer throw used to make me lose my balance.

Of course, perhaps I was just trying things beyond my playing level, in which case this will be an expensive experiment.

You can also do the reverse with their conversion kits, i.e. go from shortboards to longboards.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Yea man, I started out on long boards and they're much easier to use. It's just less struggle.

Went to short boards and feel like there's more maneuverability it's just a bit more work.

Honestly though, I like a quality body-board over any stand up surf. Charging down the wave headfirst is it's own thrill.
I wish I could surf :(
Old 06-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I found the angle on the longboards tougher to handle with anything requiring finesse. Had an Axis Short, loved it. Had a great idea the longs would be better, so she’d the short for longs and ended up hating them. Went to DW 9000, but that was too short, went to Yamaha Direct Drives, great pedals, but still felt they were too short, shorter than the Axis short anyway. Went to Mapex Falcon and they are exactly the right length.

I can get the footboard much higher than longboards, but have my heel firmly on the heel plate when I need to. Also far less finicky with the sweet spot. You have to constantly ride your foot up and down the footboard on longboards to stay in the sweet spot for a particular feel. That’s just way too much to think about. I just like throwing down a pedal and not thinking about it. Longboards were anything but set it and forget it for me.
Yeah, I feel I'm doing something wrong when I have to adjust my foot position in order to play faster, slower, etc. Thanks for confirming that aspect to me.

I wish I didn't sell my Falcons, but I needed the money. If this whole thing goes south, I'll try and pick up another pair. Those are awesome pedals, so adjustable. I wish they still made them with the interchangeable cams.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

I've always been curious what Axis and Trick short boards feel like, just haven't had a chance to try them. Regarding control, I think many people think the sweet spot on longboards is further back than it actually is, and the pedals will fight you when trying to do quick patterns if you're too far back to control the momentum.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:31 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post

This is precisely why I love you.

I almost don't want to meet you so it doesn't spoil the illusion.

Do you still have the BB? How's it treating you?
Old 06-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
Yeah, I feel I'm doing something wrong when I have to adjust my foot position in order to play faster, slower, etc. Thanks for confirming that aspect to me.

I wish I didn't sell my Falcons, but I needed the money. If this whole thing goes south, I'll try and pick up another pair. Those are awesome pedals, so adjustable. I wish they still made them with the interchangeable cams.
The older Falcons still come up used quite often. That may be way cheaper than swapping footboards on the Trick.The search for the right pedal is pretty annoying. A new one seems to be just the ticket at first. You use them for a while and then start thinking....Then continues the madness. At least you know what did work before. :)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The older Falcons still come up used quite often. That may be way cheaper than swapping footboards on the Trick.The search for the right pedal is pretty annoying. A new one seems to be just the ticket at first. You use them for a while and then start thinking....Then continues the madness. At least you know what did work before. :)
Unfortunately, they still don't come too cheaply. I saw one set on eBay and the price was about $249 and they were asking for $100 shipping to SG. The Trick boards were $119 each and with shipping worked out cheaper.

I like the Tricks, the compression spring technology doesn't work for everyone, but I used to be able to get a nice bouncing action out of it on faster sections. Kind of like the Cobra Coil on the Iron Cobras, methinks. A lot of people hate them, but they still make them with it because obviously a fair amount of people like the faster return of the board.

Just hoping that adjusting to shortboards doesn't take a year or something like that. I have a few projects I'm playing in other than my own and I'd hate to let everybody down.

Hah, I had a crazy idea. Why not one board long and the other board short? That might be interesting!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
This is precisely why I love you.

I almost don't want to meet you so it doesn't spoil the illusion.

Do you still have the BB? How's it treating you?
Love u too, snookums.

As much as I wanted to love the die cast bronze hoops, I did end up swapping em in for the flanges (which you also gave me!)... Just a sound thing... Other than that, it's my daily driver and studio snare.

The illusion WILL be broken. It's one of my goals to share a few beers with Uncle Larry. I might even let you have your own beer after we share a few.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

I converted my boards today. What I noticed was that on double strokes, the beater rebounds further back than with the longboards. Quite kicked about that.

I think my next experiment will be with one longboard and one shortboard combined. Should be fun! I'll post some pictures.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post

I think my next experiment will be with one longboard and one shortboard combined.
You'll drum in a circle :-)
Old 07-12-2018, 06:07 PM

It is inadvisable to blame the gear for your inability. Rather than place an expensive bandaid on the problem, maybe you should put more time into developing your feet?

With proper technique you be able to play all that stuff on most double pedals and not just on the most expensive, most engineered one on the market.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP Cyborg View Post
It is inadvisable to blame the gear for your inability. Rather than place an expensive bandaid on the problem, maybe you should put more time into developing your feet?

With proper technique you be able to play all that stuff on most double pedals and not just on the most expensive, most engineered one on the market.
....maybe! Working on technique definitely helps, but not having to think about your pedal makes the technique even better. This is almost like saying stop complaining about the shoe hurting your feet. Focus on your running technique.

You've got to have gear that fits your style best, whatever that may be. I can go pretty dang fast on a single pedal, but after a year of using longboards, I was still about half as fast and lost a ton of power too. Dropped down the right pedal and I was fast again.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
....maybe! Working on technique definitely helps, but not having to think about your pedal makes the technique even better. This is almost like saying stop complaining about the shoe hurting your feet. Focus on your running technique.

You've got to have gear that fits your style best, whatever that may be. I can go pretty dang fast on a single pedal, but after a year of using longboards, I was still about half as fast and lost a ton of power too. Dropped down the right pedal and I was fast again.
I used to play faster on Axis than Iron Cobras. After playing for a couple more years I can play the same speed on any well made pedal. I choose whatever pedal feels best, none of them help me play faster at this point.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

I agree! This is all down to technique, so my inability to play has nothing to do with the pedals I'm using.

That said, there is definitely a difference between a longboard and a shortboard when it comes to the pedal mechanics.

I've been playing these longboards for four years now, IIRC, and just thought it would be interesting to go back to a shortboard.

It definitely feels very different to the longboards, for example, with beaters at the same distance, a short footboard will require a longer motion than a longboard, which requires a shorter press.

Due to the mechanics, other things become apparent. From what I could tell, the short boards hit harder than the long boards, at least with the ones I'm using.

That's not to say that longboards don't hit hard and really, how hard do you need to hit? But, for example, while playing double strokes, I can hear the second hit more clearly than with the longer boards.

I got the longer boards because I thought it would help me play heel-toe better. I'm now happy to say that I can do the same thing with a shorter board as well.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

^^ If your long boards are direct drive and the short pedals are not, you have to factor that into the difference in feel. That would account for the longer motion on the short boards. It's mostly because of the cam.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
^^ If your long boards are direct drive and the short pedals are not, you have to factor that into the difference in feel. That would account for the longer motion on the short boards. It's mostly because of the cam.
It’s the same everything. I just swapped out the footboard on my Tricks. Same beaters, same direct drive, same compression springs. Just a shorter footboard.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

The longer motion you are experiencing is the change in radius between the footboards. The boards being the only difference, you have increased the angle with the shortboard. However, it should feel lighter because the shortboard should have less weight to it, thus letting your springs do their job easier.

Your double stroke is also more noticeable because the greater pedal angle equals more momentum at the beater head. You have to press the pedal faster to travel the same distance.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:10 PM

I have a Trick Pro 1V short board double pedal arriving today. I also purchased the chain drive conversion kits. I want to be compare both types to see which feels best.
I have not liked any long board pedals I have tried so hopefully the short board is the answer. I chose the trick because the clamp for the bass drum hoop can be adjusted forward or back to move the pedal to the correct position in relationship to the batter head. The Roland KD-140 kick drum I am going to use this pedal on the the piece that the pedal attaches to extends out further from the batter head than a standard bass drum requiring the beater to extend well past a vertical striking position.
Motion Pro Throne
Roland TD30KV
Pearl Demon Chain
Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
I have a Trick Pro 1V short board double pedal arriving today. I also purchased the chain drive conversion kits. I want to be compare both types to see which feels best.
I have not liked any long board pedals I have tried so hopefully the short board is the answer. I chose the trick because the clamp for the bass drum hoop can be adjusted forward or back to move the pedal to the correct position in relationship to the batter head. The Roland KD-140 kick drum I am going to use this pedal on the the piece that the pedal attaches to extends out further from the batter head than a standard bass drum requiring the beater to extend well past a vertical striking position.
Thanks for the information on the KD-140. There are similar design flaws in the KD-120 that I have, most pedals do not clamp on it properly. Thanks to the adjustable hoop clamp, that's not a problem with the Tricks.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:05 PM

So I tried the chain coversion kits on the Trick Pro 1V Short boards and I found they gave the pedals a slightly heavier feel in a good way and work perfectly. I ended direct drive option. I am surprised as I have not liked any direct drive pedals I have tried in the past.

These pedals are amazing. Super easy to set up and I can play faster with less effort.

I ordered another set for my acoustic kit.
Motion Pro Throne
Roland TD30KV
Pearl Demon Chain