Replacing heads

J

just_hit_it

hey, i'm a bit of a newbie so if this thread is elsewhere, i apologise in advance :p
I've got a Mapex M Birch, about a year old, and it has the original heads, clear Remo ones. I can't actually find them anywhere online... they're that free :p

I play mostly rock and metal, and was wondering when would be a decent time to change the heads, and what to? There are so many heads and things, i wouldn't know where to start

any help would be appreciated :)

My take is that "free" mystery heads, are worth replacing right out of the box. :)

As for which heads, good question. I'd check out the websites of the major brands, and the meantime, perhaps someone knowledge of heads for louder music will chime in.

-Ryan

The time to change out stock heads on a new drumset: Unless you have bought a top-of-the-line drumset with G1s, Emperors, Ambassadors or something similar on them as they shipped, the time is immediately.

You're going to want a loud and durable dual ply head for rock and metal, very likely. Go with Evans G2 or Remo Emperors if you don't mind overtones (and if you do, use a spot of Moongel). Again: it's easier to muffle than to unmuffle.

I got a lot of compliments on the sound of coated emperors over coated ambassadors. I don't play metal, but am 100% sure this head combination will do fine in a metal setting.

You may want to try clear heads though, since your playing rock and metal. They'll give you more attack than coated heads. But I'd have to agree Emps over Ambs or G2s over G1s, you can't go wrong; very versatile heads.

The time to change out stock heads on a new drumset: Unless you have bought a top-of-the-line drumset with G1s, Emperors, Ambassadors or something similar on them as they shipped, the time is immediately.

You're going to want a loud and durable dual ply head for rock and metal, very likely. Go with Evans G2 or Remo Emperors if you don't mind overtones (and if you do, use a spot of Moongel). Again: it's easier to muffle than to unmuffle.

i have moongel on my snare anyway, i like it very tight and crisp :) the heads i've got have served me fairly well, they sound ok. mind you i've never had an amazingly good kit to compare against... *has not got the money :(*

does anyone know anywhere website wise that so head sound bites? or shall i just go to a shop? :p

hey, i'm a bit of a newbie so if this thread is elsewhere, i apologise in advance :p
I've got a Mapex M Birch, about a year old, and it has the original heads, clear Remo ones. I can't actually find them anywhere online... they're that free :p

I play mostly rock and metal, and was wondering when would be a decent time to change the heads, and what to? There are so many heads and things, i wouldn't know where to start

any help would be appreciated :)

For an inexperienced rock and metal player I would recommend Clear Emperors for the batter side and clear Ambassadors for the reso side. The emps will give you durability and you can experiment with muffling to see what you like instead of getting locked into a premuffled head. You really shouldn't need any in my view but that is just my taste

i have moongel on my snare anyway, i like it very tight and crisp :) the heads i've got have served me fairly well, they sound ok. mind you i've never had an amazingly good kit to compare against... *has not got the money :(*

The M Birch kits can sound amazing when tuned properly. You don't need anything to compare against...

Any advice as to what 'properly' is? *only has personal experience to compare to*

Heads evenly tensioned, not pitched above or below the drums sweet spot. IN my case I prefer bot batter and reso to be the same pitch.

Check out the Bob Gatzen videos on YouTube. Those are very good at explainingthe process

since your playing rock/metal, 2ply heads would fit the situation better IMO. depends on what sound you want for your drums to sound like. Aquarian heads will give you a genuine deep sound when properly tuned. as well other heads will but i'm am completely satisfied with the aquarians i have now.

does anyone know anywhere website wise that so head sound bites? or shall i just go to a shop? :p

there are too many variable to have sound bytes. Drum material, drum size, sticks, tuning etc. You just have to take a sbhot or talk to someone that has tried many types.

Look into the Evans ONYX heads. They are a double-ply head on a black film with a clear coating to give it a matte finish. They look pretty cool.

In terms of their sound, they have a dark, deep tone with a wide tuning range. They are also pretty durable which would work well for you since you say that you play rock and metal.

right, I think I've decided on Clear Emps for batter and Clear Ambs for reso on the toms.

But what to do about snare and bass?

As you can probably tell, I have little idea of what I'm doing :)

right, I think I've decided on Clear Emps for batter and Clear Ambs for reso on the toms.

But what to do about snare and bass?

As you can probably tell, I have little idea of what I'm doing :)
Good choice for the toms! For a snare batter I like the Remo PowerStroke 3 coated. It gives a deep sound with some ring and great response.
For the bass I use an Aquarian Super Kick II. It's a two ply head, perfect for Rock! I use a Super Kick I also sometimes. (Same as SK II but single ply) Less thump and more ring.

Anyone use Evans? Everyone seems to talk about Remo and Aquarian.. but very few Evans :p I have an Evans bass patch actually...

Yeah, anyone use Evans with dots for snare?

ooh thanks bob :) I love the way the Aquarian descriptions are really long :p but its nice that its on there.

Back