Show Me Your "Monster" Kits! (let's say... 7 piece and up)

Sigh.......I've seen people who can't play "properly" on all kinds of size kits....not sure what the set up has to do with anything?

Assuming someone can't play because they have a large kit is pretty .....well....illogical thinking.

didnt really read that as an assumption, more an observation wondering if they are good players and warrent such a kit. rather than some one with sloppy timing etc and stick to only a smal part of the kit or just hit everything in site.

Cheers mrbling, now I need say nothing, exept at least its a big space to grow into.

Druid, what kind of druid are you, are we talking the original wickerman or the re-make?

I usually prefer sticking to a more minimal kit, but it's definitely cool to look at all of these.

Cheers mrbling, now I need say nothing, exept at least its a big space to grow into.

Druid, what kind of druid are you, are we talking the original wickerman or the re-make?

have to go with original.....even rotten tomatoes killed the remake. (15%) ouch

How many trips do you have to take to get that thing to the club?

Was wondering the same thing RE: 99% of these kits ... I mean are they stage kits in most cases?

In all the years I've worked with drummers (me playing bass) only once did a drummer bring anything like a "monster" kit to a live gig ...
and he was a sub who showed up 2 hours before the gig to set up, we never used him again.

The max I usually see is 5pc with a ride, two crashes and hats ... just curious?

Monster kits are useful only for the drummers who doesnt want to limit themselves in drumming....like Keith Moon.... drumming with no boundaries or .. even no rules, if there is such thing.

I still prefer a 4 piece kit for simple drumming and for pushing myself to creativity... again much less to tune!.

Was wondering the same thing RE: 99% of these kits ... I mean are they stage kits in most cases?

In all the years I've worked with drummers (me playing bass) only once did a drummer bring anything like a "monster" kit to a live gig ...
and he was a sub who showed up 2 hours before the gig to set up, we never used him again.

The max I usually see is 5pc with a ride, two crashes and hats ... just curious?

Dude i'm in a gigging metal band and my kit is an 8 piece, 5 crashes, 2 chinas, 2 rides and 2 sets of hihats, icon rack. It takes about an hour and a half to set up but it is so worth it, i don't mind putting in the bit of extra labour, looks really awesome during gigs and gives a drummer who is used to monster kits, the comfort and options that they are used to. Of course it really depends on how long the gig is, if its only an hour or so then i would say that a simple 5 piece would be the way to go, but if it is a 2-4hr gig, i'd go with full kit.

Here's my new D Dubs.......safe to say it's a large kit! Haha.
DSC05553.jpg

DSC05546.jpg

DSC05545.jpg

DSC05547.jpg

DSC05549.jpg

DSC05548.jpg

DSC05555.jpg

DSC05554.jpg

Cheers,
D.

Here's my new D Dubs.......safe to say it's a large kit! Haha.

DSC05545.jpg

Cheers,
D.

These are your signature axis pedals are they not? :) Is the feel similar to the other A21's or different?

Anyway, LOVING those dee-dubs man :D Really beautiful and interesting finish on them, maybe you could give us a run down of sizes? ;)

George.

Mine is a regularly used stage kit...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=589180&postcount=104

WOW ... just amazing

It must be the type of gigs I do then ... we shoot for a total setup time of just under an hour that includes everything including the PA with a sound check ... and a 29 minute tear down and load out ... plus on road gigs there is the space issue. Oh and no roadies, it's all us at 2 in the AM Uhhh ...

I would truly love to hear a kit like yours, gotta be quite an experience!

WOW ... just amazing

It must be the type of gigs I do then ... we shoot for a total setup time of just under an hour that includes everything including the PA with a sound check ... and a 29 minute tear down and load out ... plus on road gigs there is the space issue. Oh and no roadies, it's all us at 2 in the AM Uhhh ...

I would truly love to hear a kit like yours, gotta be quite an experience!

Thanks Kenny! Although its not just the type of gigs you do. Before I toured I was in a bar band using that exact drumset. The band carried its own lightshow and PA. We were set up in less than an hour and had it all torn down and loaded faster than that. We had a soundman and a light guy and the band, no extras. When I toured none of us had any roadies, it was just us as that's all the budget allowed for. Hell, sometimes we were lucky to have enough gas money to make it to the next show...

As far as space, that kit has a footprint of 5 foot by 4 foot. Which is a lot less than most kits. On and off stage in 12 minutes on multiple band bills. Faster than most if not all other bands.

While the drums sound good, they are just that, drums. Besides the look, the sound advantages come into play with the electronics. I triggered everything from symphonic percussion to keyboard sounds to voice overs.

Thanks again...

The last band I worked with, we played six to eight gigs a month, and I took most of the drumset you see below set up for a gig. It all fit in the back of my station wagon, and my beautiful, devoted wife was my assistant and roadie on most occasions. I also was able to bring along a handtruck on those occasions she couldn't make it.

Attachments

• P104066222.png
    P104066222.png
    449.2 KB · Views: 2,911
OK don't laugh to hard guys ...

But in honor of you guys showing one stunning Ludwig stage kit and another cool YAMA stage kit, here is all I have drum wise

My Ludwig kit (if you can call it that)

Driversseat.jpg

And my YAMAHA kit in use on a road gig (that's me on bass)

BlackkatBoneattheRedGoose.jpg

I really enjoy them both, but I surely see the need to use a big kit on certain gigs ... I use what ever size bass rig I need to suit the gig from 2x10s up to 8x10s

Reactions: Tor
Well, it looks like the kits we are respectively using are an outgrowth of the type of venue and music we are respectively playing.

Looks like you're playing smaller, more intimate settings with a genre of music that probably is served just fine by your choice of tools.

I was playing large, loud rock clubs where one of the trading points of our band was the "melting pot" image - a metal guitarist, a punk guitarist, a rockabilly bassist, and a prog drummer. So it made a lot of sense for me to haul my zip code worth of drums around to capitalize on that image.

When we did play smaller locations and clubs, I did scale down. With other projects with a more straight-ahead musical approach, I scaled down. But I sure didn't buy all that stuff just to leave it home every time! And if I get another band started, the type of music and venues we play will again inform what I bring and what I leave home. But I'm certainly going to look for a band where I can bring as much as possible, because my personal preference is to play a large kit.

Your so right do what fits the show ...

My interest is in roots/blues/rockabilly , and a 8 piece kit with 7 cymbals would be kinda overkill ... just as a kick and snare would be kinda silly at a metal show!

When we do bigger venues BB Kings, festivals and such it's a full size 5 pc kit with a ride two crashes and hats ...

Your so right do what fits the show ...

My interest is in roots/blues/rockabilly , and a 8 piece kit with 7 cymbals would be kinda overkill ... just as a kick and snare would be kinda silly at a metal show!

When we do bigger venues BB Kings, festivals and such it's a full size 5 pc kit with a ride two crashes and hats ...

I dunno, i think that a kick and snare is a pretty important part of metal music :p. Anyway there is a small drum kits thread for smaller jobbies like yours :)

if you own a big kit you don't always have to gig with the big kit.Like everything else...it is a matter of choice. I just cannot stand pissing matches over set up size...like the people who give a large kit guy a rough time? It makes zero sense and turns into nasty stuff. If you want to carry around and set up alot of gear...go for it. If not...don't. It is that simple. I took out a 4 piece DW recently because it was for acoustic jazz....it made sense for the gig. Much of the time I have played smaller kits as well. But...it's nice to have choices is all. And i have seen players on large kits who could not play ...and people on small kits who diss drummers on large kits who really don't offer anything to justify their level of dissing.....so take it for what it is worth. I have never looked down my nose on a drummer over kit size....big or small.

Well....I'd think most bands would prefer a guy who shows up on time and is set up rather than a dude who waltzs in late....sets up around the rest of the band and seems ill prepared to play. The word "hurried" comes to mind...;-)

heck when I play a four piece I show up first in order to get myself ready.

Not saying you are like this...but some people seem to get more satisfaction over loading in and tearing down fast than they do in actually ....playing music.

Back