BIG STICKS

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
anyone use them ?

fat sticks and long length 16.5-17"

any recommendations for a fast response ?

Funk Bats ?

American Classics ?

other ?

I use Pro mark 2b's which are fat and heavy. They're only 16 " long, though. If you want a faster response you do need to keep the length down. In the past I've used the Vic Firth Classic rock, which are heavy, but longer than the 2b's. I found the length made them a bit too heavy for me though, and would fatigue my wrists at times. The Pro-mark 2b is perfect to me. They're heavier than your typical 2b, but shorter for better response, and very durable, too. If you want them a little longer you can get the Dave Lombardo sig stick, which is a slightly longer Pro-mark 2b.

I use Danny Carey's signature Vic Firth Stick, which have a tapered butt for awesome weight and balance. I think they're modelled off a 2B but are a little longer

Rocky Neil likes his sticks... erm... quite big:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3kiBCSTVY#t=1m58s

hehehe. that was funny. informative too. with such big sticks, it was easy to see his licks / timing although i'm sure it was only a sketch of what he he could play with less cumbersome sticks, it was importantant in that it showed the most vitally important parts of what could have been played otherwise.

thank ya much.

Drumhammerer and Solaris -

thank you much for your replies. i did indeed end up going with 2Bs...Zildjians i don't know the model, but they have a purple butt end half.

i was all set to do the American Classic Rock Nylon, but tried these out of curiousity to compare to my "final selection" and they were much more balanced and faster than my other "finalists".

when i got them home they felt like logs in my hands, but i was able to get to my 13" rack with more precision and force (i usually have trouble in being consistent in stretching that far and hitting precisely).

the only problem so far is that although they are coated, they feel a bit dry to me.

i fear blistering.

thank you much, fellow drummists.

if there are any other thoughts, please feel free.

Personally, I find Zildjian sticks to be of the worst quality out of all the stick makers. If you want a quicker big stick try the Vic Firth AC nylon 2b, or the Regal Tip nylon tip 2b. Both of these sticks have smaller tips and shoulders. Keep in mind too that nylon tip sticks are a bit lighter than the wood tip ones. I have a pair of Vic Firth 2b wood tips and they're way heavier and bulkier than the nylon tip version.

Personally, I find Zildjian sticks to be of the worst quality out of all the stick makers. If you want a quicker big stick try the Vic Firth AC nylon 2b, or the Regal Tip nylon tip 2b. Both of these sticks have smaller tips and shoulders. Keep in mind too that nylon tip sticks are a bit lighter than the wood tip ones. I have a pair of Vic Firth 2b wood tips and they're way heavier and bulkier than the nylon tip version.

yup. imagine my surprise that the Zildjians beat out the AC 2b's. and Pro Mark's too. the tip is exactly what i was looking for and the response was much better. that purple dip butt end is far too dry and sticky though. blister city. electrical tape for now.

Keep in mind too that nylon tip sticks are a bit lighter than the wood tip ones. I have a pair of Vic Firth 2b wood tips and they're way heavier and bulkier than the nylon tip version.
It's not a rule, Vic Firth just has huge variations in weight between same-sized sticks. That's why I always go through quite a few pairs at the store before selecting one, to make sure I have just the right weight.

that purple dip butt end is far too dry and sticky though. blister city. electrical tape for now.
They're made without the dip too, should feel the same in all other aspects.

I play with Vic Firth Nova 2B hickory, wooden tips - they are heavy punch and strong sticks.....love them.

Thanks Fiery. do you use Zildjians too ?

any thoughts on Carbo-Sticks or Techra or other synthetic sticks ?

anyone ?
I use Vic Firth 2B; they are the cheapest and most readily available high quality sticks around these parts, and I like the feel of that model.

I have a pair of 2B carbon fiber sticks by an unknown producer (threw away the sleeve and the logo wore off). They are the size of typical 5B sticks or even a bit thinner and they are somewhat flexible - you can bend them by hand - so they feel terrible. I haven't used them on a kit for a couple of years now.
They do have a very good rimshot and rim click sound though.

I use Vic Firth 2B; they are the cheapest and most readily available high quality sticks around these parts, and I like the feel of that model.

I have a pair of 2B carbon fiber sticks by an unknown producer (threw away the sleeve and the logo wore off). They are the size of typical 5B sticks or even a bit thinner and they are somewhat flexible - you can bend them by hand - so they feel terrible. I haven't used them on a kit for a couple of years now.
They do have a very good rimshot and rim click sound though.

i used the Techra Cool Jazz model til they broke, then i went with the Cool Rock model i think, til they broke...and since synthetic sticks are not very popular and hard to find, i figured i'd better make the move to wood. i'm not a fan of wood chips so i guess i'll have to get a dust buster (hand held vac).

the Techra's were way expensive, but the Carbo-sticks are reasonably priced as are some others i've seen, i wish there was a synthetic stick that isn't hollow inside. imagine my surprise when i broke them. i remember Pro Mark made a synthetic stick back in the 70's. i wonder if they still do ?

Don't forget to throw Vater in the mix...I find Vater's usually lighter than other sticks with the same or better durability ....so a 2B Vater will feel much lighter in your hands than a Pro Mark or Vic Firth.... IMHO....your mileage may vary ;)

I am a long stick guy.

These are some sticks I used in the past/present

vater 1a 17" long .590" dia hickory
zildjian super5b 16 1/2" long .595" dia hickory
zildjian travis barker 16 3/8" long .595" dia hickory
pro-mark jason bonham 16 3/4" .595" dia maple

I stopped buying the zidjians because too many would break, and I did like the travis barker stick but it got white paint all over the place. The vaters were good but are hard to find everywhere, and then I found the jason bonham stick and fell in love. It is a very long stick and being that its maple it is lighter than a similar hickory stick of the same size. I have found that maple does dent up pretty good being a softer wood than hickory, but it breaks alot less.

My fav. Big Sticks are Vater 3A's Nylon's of course, they have a barrel-tip for a cutting ride bell & Volume plus they are very playable for such a big stick. some people wouldn't. consider them a big stick through (16" L & .590 Dia.).

I just love how they play.

Bonzolead

My fav. Big Sticks are Vater 3A's Nylon's of course, they have a barrel-tip for a cutting ride bell & Volume plus they are very playable for such a big stick. some people wouldn't. consider them a big stick through (16" L & .590 Dia.).

I just love how they play.

Bonzolead

is barrel tip the same as oval ?

is barrel tip the same as oval ?
no it's more squared off kinda like a oak barrel(hence the name) or beer keg shaped.

I used to use 420 pro-marks all the time but I seem to be going too the 3A's more than the 420's lately just because they play sweet & I get plenty of volume.

try a set I like them because they play like smaller dia. sticks but I get the volume like larger
dia. sticks.

In my world that's the perfect combo LOL.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

no it's more squared off kinda like a oak barrel(hence the name) or beer keg shaped.

I used to use 420 pro-marks all the time but I seem to be going too the 3A's more than the 420's lately just because they play sweet & I get plenty of volume.

try a set I like them because they play like smaller dia. sticks but I get the volume like larger
dia. sticks.

In my world that's the perfect combo LOL.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

i'd never heard of 3A's. that sounds like what i'm looking for for exactly those reasons.

thank you all for the responses...i have paid attention to all and hope to try all of the suggestions.

keep it coming if you got more.

Back