Jeff Porcaro

It would be cool to ask Steve Lukather or JP son, Miles Porcaro, on Myspace (I've got both contacts) to shed light on this debate...

I'll post up at Toto Network and see if Luke will reply.
Miles MIGHT know.

ps: Jeff's consist of Paiste gear included a 10" splash (I checked with Paiste America).

Ya think maybe these cats got together and said, "let's keep 'em guessing?"

It's possible!

"All the Way Home" (R. Page/P. Leonard) was written after Page attended Jeff's funeral.

EDIT IN: Ornalles, Morotta, Castro, Humphreys, Keltner and 2 others played as they left the "Hall of Liberty" on 8/10/92. That's what the chorus of this tune is about. I think it's a sweet thing to do for a friend and colleague. Richard Page ("Mr. Mister", "Pages", "3rd Matinee") provided some killer background vocals for the Toto record, "Kingdom of Desire" which was Jeff's last album for Toto before his passing.

I love the arrangment of this tune...the harmony vocal-----and is that Vinnie Colaiuta on brushes? Sounds like it! (Especially after hearing "Long time, No Groove" from Tribute to Jeff).

I thought I'd post the link to "All the Way Home" here for those who haven't heard the tune.
Jeff's brother, Steve, is credited as one of the additional musicians on 3rd Matinee's record "Meanwhile" (1994). The strings and flute patches, and some of the other synth work must be Steve's....sounds like something he'd do.

This is an awesome tune.

Last edited:
Interesting, I will have to listen to 'on every street' to try and shed light on the manu/jeff thing...
The only time Ive heard Jeff play a splash of any discription is on David benoits album 'freedom at midnight' which was around the same time he did that starlicks vid where he also had a small splash on his set up there. Even so he never used it much, unlike manu katche who used them alot...

ANOTHER jeff album ive just listened to, and im sure some of u guys would enjoy, is the self titled Eye to Eye first album, featuring a good female vocalist (cant remember name). Jim Kelter also plays on it, and guess what, I can't find track credits! But check out 'Nice Girls' on it, im sure its Jeff, and WHAT A GROOVE. Sweet bass line too.

Tim

Re: Jeff Porcaro "Eye to Eye"

From Jeff's Discography at Toto Network

Eye to Eye
Track listing

1 Hunger Pains -jeff track
2 Life in Motion -jeff track
3 Nice Girls -jeff track
4 More Hopeless Knowledge
5 Progress Ahead -6 Physical Attraction -jeff track
7 Time Flys - jeff track
8 On the Mend

Album credits
Julian Marshall Keyboards
Jeff Porcaro Drums
Dean Parks Guitar
Timothy B. Schmit Vocals
Ian Underwood Synthesizer, Keyboards
Ruth Underwood Percussion
Starz Vander Lockett Percussion
Eye to Eye Main Performer
Elliott Randall Guitar
Jim Keltner Drums
Deborah Berg Vocals
Abraham Laboriel Bass
Rick Derringer Guitar
Donald Fagen Synthesizer, Keyboards
Chuck Rainey Bass
---------------------------------------------------------

this album was tracked in 1982........five or six years BEFORE the instructional he did, which was '87-'88 @ Schnee Studios.

FROM THE INSTRUCTIONAL DVD BOOKLET

PAISTE:
8in. cup chime
6in. cup chime
(2) TWO 18" crash
1 16" crash (fast crash, maybe?)
20" Formula 602 Ride (I'd LOVE to own one!)
14" Formula 602 hats

Paiste told me that Jeff's cymbal consist circa '92 included 13" Signature heavy hats, a 10" signature splash, 20" signature full ride and various other stuff. (Lost the piece of paper I wrote it down on-but I remember the splash as part of it because I thought it was cool that he had one listed in the set up.
Mostly, it's all crashes of various sizes.

Last edited:
Wicked, thought he drummed on most of it. Good research cheers. I Thought those two tracks (5,8) sounded more likely to be Keltner. Like The 'More hopless knowledge' one, simple and also a bit tricky to do (for me anyway) with the Bass on every other '3'.

That discography is brill

Tim

Somebody just sent me a short (!) cut up clip of "Gone Buttlefishin'"

JOE's work on marimba and vibes is to die for, and Jeff's hi-hats? Man, that's just insane!
The JNH thing was live to disc.... HOW many arms did this guy have, again?
GEEZ!

ps: Hit youtube and look for "Joe Porcaro/Emil Richards LA Big Band". Papa Joe is a cool cat!

Wicked, thought he drummed on most of it. Good research cheers. I Thought those two tracks (5,8) sounded more likely to be Keltner. Like The 'More hopless knowledge' one, simple and also a bit tricky to do (for me anyway) with the Bass on every other '3'.

That discography is brill

Tim

From the MD article (Someone posted a link earlier).
This quote from Keltner nails me every time I see it:

"...later 'Hold The Line' by Toto that I realized Jeffrey had become one of the baddest cats on the planet. "

"Music aside, one of the things I loved most about Jeff was his selflessness. He was always taking care of someone else's needs. And he hated seeing anyone being taken advantage of or treated badly. He was always giving things away and offering encouragement to sincere young players. "

How sweet is THAT!?
Very cool stuff.

He is truly missed.....

Yup;
That's the cool thing though about Jeff---every time you turn around you hear SOME TRACK that he played on, or had something to do with in some way. That legacy is still inspiring people (of which I am one).

I heard a Gospel group the other day and they did a tune called "Let me Leave a Song".

Jeff left upward of 702 songs for us to learn from.
That's a crazy amount of work for the 21 years he was here working. 38 years on the planet and 21 of those actively using what he'd been handed to touch hearts and make folks just FEEL good. His playing is one of the reasons I'm glad we have CDs and cassettes and vinyl to hear things from. It's a learning experience for some of us.

There's a life-lesson in what he did. Never take what God hands you for granted-whether it's drums, or the roof over your head or the people in your life. I think he used the talent in the right way-always inspiring and it's an uplifting thing.
Great legacy to leave when ya go, right?

T

To me, JP is still very much alive.

I'm always hearing new stuff he's played on, like it's just been released (if you know what I mean).

My favorite track? "Wrong side of the tracks"...

...I don't think I've heard anybody play such a mean, solid, and continuously driving groove that that. False Stop!

To me, JP is still very much alive.

I'm always hearing new stuff he's played on, like it's just been released (if you know what I mean).

My favorite track? "Wrong side of the tracks"...

...I don't think I've heard anybody play such a mean, solid, and continuously driving groove that that. False Stop!

I quote you.
Plus, folks have a listen to "Too good to last" on the same album (All dressed up).
To me there cannot be a more in the pocket groove. I've never heard, in 20 years worth of listening to drummers in general, anyone else playing that good.

I've asked Mr. Gavin Harrison to choose between Manu and Jeff on "Heavy Fuel"...
Let's see what he will answer...

I've asked Mr. Gavin Harrison to choose between Manu and Jeff on "Heavy Fuel"...
Let's see what he will answer...

Good call Alex, and an interesting response from Mr. Harrison!

At first I thought the drum track to Heavy Fuel was just pure heavy rock. But I've scrutinized this song, and it's sounding more and more mechanical. I think Gavin has raised a good point.

Mark Knopfler, if your reading, PLEASE TELL US!!

Re: Jeff Porcaro: JNH: Sheffield Labs disc!

Someone I know from Maryland has been very kind. Tomorrow is my birthday. This young lady I know is a huge Steve Porcaro listener---she knows what an influence he and his brothers have been on my musicianship.

Today I open my mailbox and there's a package in there from my friend---for my birthday.
The James Newton-Howard & Friends Sheffield Labs thing. I think of all the tracks, "Tandoori" and "Borealis" are my favorites at the moment.

Jeff is definitely in his element, and Joe must have hauled in a truckload of auxillary percussion for this one. I'm a keyboard player first-piano has always been my first musical love. The drums came later. BUT this whole disc sparkles.

Not only do I get to hear those old (Now "Vintage" synth sounds) but get to hear Jeff anchor the whole darn thing with some solid groovin'.

Pretty sweet way to begin a birthday celebration I think.
Someone here said "Gone Buttlefishin'" was a great track. Agreed---but "L'Daddy" and "Tandoori" are standouts for me right now, along with "Borealis" which is just gorgeous.

If anybody has the original release---there were sketches of the keys players drawn and included in the book. Those were done by Jeffrey, or so I'm told.

Mine's a re-issue and doesn't have the sketches but I've seen them from another copy of the disc. TOO funny!
Get this one if you can find it. There's even a photo in mine of Doug Sax getting a pie in the face! (Bill Schnee told him TWICE to get outta the booth!!!!!)
Funny stuff to read how the thing almost didn't go down. They had so much going on with other projects that Dec. 16,17, and 19 was almost "last minute". 1983 was a BUSY year!

T

JP Discography: THANKS TONY!

Big kudos to TonyAKA for an entry from Jeff's credits list that I missed over at Toto Network.

Tony sent me an album and credits for the list and it's now got its own place in the Porcaro Hall of Records.

;-)
T

Steve,
Tony's correct. It is legit. If you think the video's wacky, check the group photo!

boys_0.preview.jpg

The makeup crew did a great job.
As I understand it, Jeff and Luke were the only two from TOTO to be in the video.
This was done not long after Toto swept the 25th annual Grammys.

TheTrilogy_1.preview.jpg

(Jeff and his wife Susan are pictured at the far right edge of the photo).
. My guess? This was the night of the movie premier....though I can't be completely sure.

T

TonyAKA and gretschgal1,

Thanks for the confirmation. I love the song even more now. What a wacky photo! Awesome.

Steve

Back