Impulse snare drum purchase!

Trilogy72

I stopped by my local Sam Ash today just to see what they had and to waste some time. I normally shop at a local family owned drum shop by the way. So I'm looking around at the miss treated drum gear and almost left when I saw their snare drum room. I walked in and noticed they had a few DrumCraft snare drums on sale. I played a few and thought they were nice but then came across on 14x5 inch aluminum snare and was totally impressed with the sound. I played with the tuning a bit and it sounded even better! At this point I was expecting a high price tag bue to the shell being 5mm thick, brushed hardware and Remo USA heads. The cost was $179!!! I could not pass this up and took it home. I asked if that was the only one and was told they had just put that out that morning and was the only one they had and would not be getting any more. I was told that DrumCraft had lost their US distributor and Sam Ash was clearing them out.

Attachments

• DrumCraft.jpg
    DrumCraft.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 903
Last edited:
Impulse snare purchase.... is there any other kind?

I'm a big fan of aluminium snares and it looks like you've hit the jackpot. Nice snag.

Is that a series 8 one?

Wow! excelent buy. I'm happy for you. I usually only come across deals like that when I'm totally broke.

Impulse snare purchase.... is there any other kind?

I'm a big fan of aluminium snares and it looks like you've hit the jackpot. Nice snag.

This is the first aluminum snare I have ever played and owned. So far, I love it.

Wow! excelent buy. I'm happy for you. I usually only come across deals like that when I'm totally broke.

Thanks lefty! I can relate to usually being broke when coming across great deals but for once I got lucky.

Nice purchase. My last two snare drums were impulse buys. I've have an old aluminum Gretsch snare drum for years. Aluminum shells have a nice warm sound to it so you can tune them low and they still sound really good if you like that thud sound. I add a muffling ring too for some extra thud. Oh ya!

Very nice! I think you got very lucky in finding that, at the local Sam Ash to me these had been out on sale around March, and sold very quickly indeed, they had a brass snare, with something like a 5mm shell that weighed a ton, and was on sale for some crazy price, I regret not picking that up. Enjoy it!

Yeah it's an awesome deal. I emailed sam ash to see if I could get the same deal but it's no go :(

Yeah it's an awesome deal. I emailed sam ash to see if I could get the same deal but it's no go :(

That sucks! Did the explain why or did they just say no?

"Thank you for the e-mail. We do not show the Drumcraft line as being advertised on our website, nor could we find any listings in our inventory system for that brand, so unfortunately, it does not appear we offer that brand to be able to sell you anything from their line of items. If you see any brands or models on www.samash.com that would suit your needs, we would be glad to work out discount pricing for those items."

Took some pics of the shell with the batter head removed. I can't get over how good this snare sounds.

Attachments

• DrumCraft 2.jpg
    DrumCraft 2.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 451
  • DrumCraft 3.jpg
    DrumCraft 3.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 447
That drum is 699.00 at Amazon. They gave it to you.

I know! I could not believe it myself till I looked it up. I don't understand why Sam Ash was letting it go for so little.

It had your name on it for sure. A find of a lifetime.

You are so right! I got incredibly lucky on this find. Then my wife had the nerve to ask if I was going to sell it! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Back