Here we go again - Pearl Masters MCX

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm officially the biggest gear glutton on the forum now...I dare you to challenge that claim. Anyhow - here's my new kit! Again!

I posted my vintage 80's Ludwigs last week but as it turns out, I was really unhappy w/ the sound of the power toms. Both the sound and the action on the heads wasn't up my alley...that's what I get for buying them sight-unseen (and un-played).

So, I goes into Guitar Center, I does...and I tells 'em I need some decent mid-range maple drums to play, immediately. I tried these Masters, Some Tama B/B, and some PDP Platinums. I liked them all (naturally) but the Pearls sounded the best to me....big, fat, projecting, and warm...but it was a bit over my budget. I tried to leave but they held me back...and let me have it at what I was willing to spend. I was shocked, to say the least. These guys normally wouldn't negotiate if it meant life or death.

Here they are! I believe the finish is called "Bronze Glass"...it's a wrap.

18"x22" BD
16"x16" FT
9"x12" TT
7"x13" Pork Pie Brass Patina Snare (details here)

The cymbal setup:

21" HHX Groove Ride
13" Fierce Hats
17" HHX Evolution Crash
19" Fierce Crash
10" Paragon Splash
20" Paragon Chinese
7" Alu Bell

Attachments

• DSC04718.jpg
    DSC04718.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 9,941
  • DSC04701.jpg
    DSC04701.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 7,840
  • DSC04703.jpg
    DSC04703.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 6,404
  • DSC04704.jpg
    DSC04704.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 6,309
  • DSC04714.jpg
    DSC04714.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 6,294
  • DSC04720.jpg
    DSC04720.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 7,663
  • DSC04710.jpg
    DSC04710.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 6,471
  • DSC04708.jpg
    DSC04708.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 6,217
Don't be so sure!!!!

I have some more "projects" in the works.

However, I will gladly accept second place.

What a beautiful kit.

How long do you think you will keep them.

I am willing to make any member on this board a bet that Vinnie keeps them LESS than 4 months.

I still can't believe you haven't yet bought the Paragon 19 China!!! It is SO sweet!

Great looking kit of the week Vin!

Oh, your bass drum would make a nice floor tom on my kit!

You need a kit o' the week sticky right here on the forum, Vin.

Saw Donati play this exact same kit last week. Same finish and it sounded incredible.
(Pic from the gig.)

don fin 3.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice lookin' kit. Yeah, I like the more "traditional" sizes also...especially on rack toms. Of the 3 choices you listed, I'd have grabbed the Pearls also.

Zam,

You know im already totally disappointed in you for giving up those champagne Luddies in the first place! I guess its ok because I think that leaves me the only one w/ a bop sized new classic set :p

Anyhow the pearl masters are truly awesome kits, I've played a few myself and each time am just blown away w/ the projection and tone they give out, hands down an AWESOME kit and a great choice on the finish as well. A little more traditional on the sizes compaired to the champagne Ludwigs like harry said probably a bit more up your alley.

When you gonna by me my next kit :p I'll take a roundbadge gretsch pleaseeeeeee .. thanks zam!

I'm blown away by how good they sound and how nice they feel to play. I played w/ the "jazz" band the night I got them and my bass player just sat back and watched me warm up. When I was done he said; "now, those sound nice...". Either he was sincere or he's just tired of seeing/hearing new drums every time we play.

Mike - I'll take that bet! I'm fatigued...I can't handle this vicious cycle anymore.

jay - you're right, these sizes definitely fit me better. That bop kit wasn't holding up in loud, amped settings...especially the kick, which choked when you really laid into it. I miss it though, it was a beauty!

Abe - That's a beauty! I took the Optimount off of my 12" but may use it in the future. I actually bought this kit so that I could channel Virgil's playing through my hands...it's a feature!

Review Time:

The construction on these drums is way beyond anything I've seen, and that includes any DW kit I've played. It's perfection all the way...I couldn't spot a single flaw, honestly. The die-cast hoops, the super low-mass aluminum lugs, claws, etc., perfect (slightly rounded) 45-degree edges, oh man. I haven't seen this kind of construction quality in mass market drums before.

The sound is killer...this is my most favorite kit yet. The bass drum is the fattest & punchiest I've played, hands down. The toms sing...and sing....and sing. I have coated ambassadors on there now simply because they came with pinstripes over clear ambs. I just swapped out the batters on the toms and kick. I'll probably put coated G2s over clear G1s on there this weekend.

The tuning range is every bit as broad as the DW kits I've had and the hoops made them very easy to tune. The floor tom tunes up a little brighter than the 16's I've had before but I'm attributing that to the coated amb. I've got on there. I'm sure a G2 is going to take it down into the range I want it at.

I'm not crazy about it being wrapped but at the same time - it's a kit that's going to get dragged around and used in environments that a wrap is perfect for. It's not glued down to the shell (but it's tight) - so if I were to replace it someday, it'd be a matter of lifting the seam and pulling it off. I like that idea!

Don't be so sure!!!!

I have some more "projects" in the works.

However, I will gladly accept second place.

What a beautiful kit.

How long do you think you will keep them.

I am willing to make any member on this board a bet that Vinnie keeps them LESS than 4 months.

I still can't believe you haven't yet bought the Paragon 19 China!!! It is SO sweet!

Great looking kit of the week Vin!

Oh, your bass drum would make a nice floor tom on my kit!

Well, zambizzi is a total gear whore, but I have to admit he has good taste and only gets top-notch stuff.

I'll take you up on your bet: I bet he will have them less than two months. If he has them between two and four months, I will buy and send you the sticks of your choice (up to $15 price of sticks). If he has them less than two months from the date of this thread, you will owe me a pair. If he has them longer than four months, nobody gets anything. Deal?

Anybody want to get a pool going? Do I hear one week?

Well, zambizzi is a total gear whore, but I have to admit he has good taste and only gets top-notch stuff.

I'll take you up on your bet: I bet he will have them less than two months. If he has them between two and four months, I will buy and send you the sticks of your choice (up to $15 price of sticks). If he has them less than two months from the date of this thread, you will owe me a pair. If he has them longer than four months, nobody gets anything. Deal?

Anybody want to get a pool going? Do I hear one week?

What if he has them LONGER than 4 months? I suppose it will be snowing in hell!!!!

I will take you up on your bet Deathmetalconga. Although, I should get "odds" since more than likely they will be gone in less than 30 days.

What are the sticks of your choice!!!!

Vinnie, hold out for at least 62 days!!!!!

*I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...*

I have the same addiction you do, so I will not hold it against you if you can't.

It is an urge that can't be fought.

So, no hard feelings if I end up buy DMC some sticks!

Well, the whore is about to get married and settle down. There's a rumor about Vin doing a high class custom job, thats all very hush hush at the moment. I got a sniff last week, but I'll seal my lips till the bugles sound off.

Well, the whore is about to get married and settle down.

Ya know...there's an awful lot of folks here referring to me as a whore. :|

Yes, the mystery kit is still being crafted and should be done in a couple weeks...or a few...or...whatever? I'll have to post sound clips and let you guys compare them, since I WILL have this kit AT LEAST that long! ;)

Back