LOSING GRIP OF STICKS!

mculturesounds

okay so i have been playing drums for 10 years, i have been playing in bands for the same amount of time. This has been a problem ever since. I lose grip of my sticks whenever i play whether its practice or playing out at shows. I have talked to many of my drummer friends and they said they have come across the same problem, some of them say i should just warm up more before i play and the others say i should get bigger sticks. Now i play in a semi fast rocky punk band, there is a lot of single stroke rolls and fast beats. it usually happens most when i'm crashing. CAN SOMEONE HELP?!

thanks, matt

This is most likely just a technique question, and it can be solved in a very exciting way: by learning the free stroke and the Moeller stroke. Watch all the videos you can about this, and if you get interested, get lessons from a reputed teacher with this specialty. I did, and it totally changed my life.

Casper

You might also consider trying a stick wax, such as Sex Wax (based on the old surfer's board wax, and they now make it for drummers). I have used this for gigs. Works great, and smells nice too!

Are you using coated sticks? I'd advocate using plain wood sticks, always. Sticks with any type of paint or coating on them will make your hands slip quite a bit.

I found that the Vic Firth Vic Grip sticks really help with this, and in the past I've used drumming gloves which also definitely help (although you sacrifice a bit of feel when using gloves).

Alternatively, many manufacturers offer unlacquered sticks which are supposed to help too.

Do your hands get tired mid-gig from holding the sticks? If so, you might want to try sizing up or trying a grip product. I use Pro-Mark Pro Grip 5Bs... a larger, chunky stick with a slightly tacky butt end. Not only do I not lose sticks, but my hands never stress out from overgrippign any more.

Groove Juice also makes a spray-on product that supposedly makes the sticks tacky. I might try that and let you know, since Pro Grip sticks are harder to find than a buyer for a house these days...

I play edrums a lot and I frequently miss the crash cymbal. Because I hold the sticks very lightly, this results in the sticks flying across the room. Can be quite embarrasing. However, live on an acoustic kit I lose them far less. Are you watching where you are hitting? i.e. do you lose them when you are looking elsewhere. This could be a factor.

Davo

IMO using something tacky will cause irritation or blisters more than anything. I've used Pro Marks grip tape and it's nice and lightweight. It can even be re-used if you break a stick. Comes in a few colors.

I'd also check out an unlacquered stick like Pro Mark's 'Natural'. They come in most stick sizes.

I just ordered up a can of this to try out:

In a couple of weeks I'll let you know how it goes.

Several companies are now selling pre-dipped sticks. I did my own with a product called Plasti-Dip. It's sold in most hardware stores in the tool dept. If you search the GEAR section unders STICKS you will probably find it. Was quite the easy task and worked very well.

Hey man I have done this plenty of times and the best thing to do is not think about droping your sticks, to be honest droping sticks isnt such a bad thing it shows that you're a loose player, I use zildjian 5A dips with a cool black rubber grip on them and even if your hands are sweaty they seem to stay in your hands check them out there around £12.00 :)

Gorilla Snot is cheap and works great. Think 'pine tar' for your drumsticks...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gorilla-Snot-Gorilla-Snot?sku=428010

please tell your avatar that we said thanks for her beauty.

hope it doesn't sound too brutal brady- it's not aimed at you, but if you play in public and have a social life, gorilla snot is not a good option, in my experience.

1)first of all it never really gets a super GRIP ON, and even that wears down quickly.

2)next, if you ever set your sticks down, especially on a couch or your drum carpet, they are going to come back up with fuzz, grit, and particles sticking to the funk snot...after a couple days of this, it's probly a health hazard.

3)next, your hands, and basically your self, smell like pine tar real big and bad and after a while the pine tar smell just turns into something like an "old people smell"! it's not a good way to talk to chicks or prospective investors.

Try tennis OVER grip tape. (Not reg grip tape. That is too thick. Over grip tape is to protect the main grip tape and is thinner)

Awesome. Much better than other tapes, dips etc.

Are you using coated sticks? I'd advocate using plain wood sticks, always. Sticks with any type of paint or coating on them will make your hands slip quite a bit.

This is the complete opposite for me.
I find the Regal Tip finish quite grippy when my hands get warmed up. And I've found a marine varnish that feels exactly like the Regal finish so I finish all my sticks w/it.
And as my hands dry-up during the winter holding sticks gets a little harder until they're warmed up.

please tell your avatar that we said thanks for her beauty.

hope it doesn't sound too brutal brady- it's not aimed at you, but if you play in public and have a social life, gorilla snot is not a good option, in my experience.

1)first of all it never really gets a super GRIP ON, and even that wears down quickly.

2)next, if you ever set your sticks down, especially on a couch or your drum carpet, they are going to come back up with fuzz, grit, and particles sticking to the funk snot...after a couple days of this, it's probly a health hazard.

3)next, your hands, and basically your self, smell like pine tar real big and bad and after a while the pine tar smell just turns into something like an "old people smell"! it's not a good way to talk to chicks or prospective investors.

I just saw this today...

No worries. No offense taken.

I've never had any of the issues you mention, other than perhaps the smell thing. However, it's never really an issue since I don't apply it to the stick immediately before I use them.
I usually apply them to my sticks, then put them in my stick bag. No fuzz or grit gets on them. When I'm ready to use them, they are just slightly tacky. No smell. The stuff does wear off after a while, but it seems to take a couple gigs before it's an issue.
Plus, I don't use it all the time, the Gorilla Snot is pretty much reserved for my 'sweaty gig' sticks.

p.s. I would pass along your message to my avatar but unfortunately, I don't know who she is. If I did know her, I wouldn't be here...

You might also consider trying a stick wax, such as Sex Wax (based on the old surfer's board wax, and they now make it for drummers). I have used this for gigs. Works great, and smells nice too!

Or you could use Zildjian Drum stick wax...that's what I use for this problem...works great and doesn't smell too bad either...

'Gorilla Snot'

+1

Can be ordered online at a cheap price and does the job very well. Use it mainly in the live gig environment and has never failed me!

Joe

Back