Rack mounted mic stands anyone?

Andy

Honorary Member
Guys, I'm after two boom mic stands that I can mount on my Pearl rack using the Pearl clamps. These are for overheads & I don't fancy floor standing booms. I'm also not into buying standard boom stands & discarding the bases. Anyone know of a (preferably UK) source of such stands/stand parts? Thanks, KIS.

Most rack making drum companies have a mic holder version of their cymbal booms. I would start there. I know Gibralter does, as well as, DW, Tama, etc...

Gibraltar clamps are wonderfully flexible, you're definitely going to be able to find one that will fit a normal mic stand.

Gibraltar clamps are wonderfully flexible, you're definitely going to be able to find one that will fit a normal mic stand.
Thanks Naige, the clamps aren't a problem as I'll be using the Pearl square section DR style that'll fit most tube sizes. It's the boom & mic holder I'm after, or a mic holder that'll fit to a cymbal boom.

If you're going to mount the microphone overhead stands to a rack, I would really recommend isolation microphone holders to kill any bangs, thumps or any other vibrations from making it into the microphone. In fact any microphone that is directly mounted to a rack should be used with iso mounts.

Dennis

If you're going to mount the microphone overhead stands to a rack, I would really recommend isolation microphone holders to kill any bangs, thumps or any other vibrations from making it into the microphone. In fact any microphone that is directly mounted to a rack should be used with iso mounts.

I have to agree with this. I would actually recommend against the idea of even mounting the mics to a rack. way too much vibration between the drums & cymbals that can interfere with them....... Murdock the Drummer

I was going to echo, no pun intended, what audio tech mentioned. There will be a lot of vibration from the rack whether it be a cymbal crash or whatever

Depending on the type of overheads you use, wouldn't it be possible to use one these to hold your mic? In theory it would get rid of (hopefully) all/most of the vibrations.

neumann-ea1-mt.jpg

-Jonathan

I've been mounting cymbal mics on my rack for many years, but with a twist.

Instead of them being overheads, they're underheads:

jbsluds1.jpg

They're a little hard to see... and that's a good thing (not to mention ease of setup and positioning.) Notice the lack of extra stands on the riser.

As for vibrations from the rack, if you're on kick/snare/hat 95% of the time like most drummers are, there won't be any (since those pieces aren't connected to or touching the rack.) For tom and cymbal playing, is the slight vibration or crosstalk going to be heard? Well, maybe if you solo'd a mic that wasn't directly picking up a tom of cymbal... but when would that possibly occur? This setup certainly hasn't been an issue with my rig.

In studio is a different scenario, simply because you don't bring your own mics or stands anyway.

Bermuda

PS: My snare and hat mics are also mounted on the rack with no issues.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info to date. Just a bit more detail for the technically minded amongst you. This mic setup is only for live settings, never for recording. In a recording environment, I fully appreciate the isolation issues. The overheads I'm using for live work are EV PL37's. They're quite well isolated as standard but will be fitted to some iso mounts I already have. Additionally, they're not as sensitive as some finer phantom powered condensers. I have four EV PL35's already on the toms, mounted via rim mounts. I've not detected any vibration issues with those from cymbal crashes & similar, even though everything is connected to the rack via some path or other. I don't mic the snare or hats. The snare takes care of itself in all but the larger venues & even then, the overheads do a really nice job. My snare is usually so loud, I get a nice extra benefit of reverb through the vocal mics!

What I'm really after is a pair of booms. Cymbal boom style but with the standard mic holder thread on the end instead of the cymbal nut thread.

Nice idea with the "underheads" Bermuda. I probably have too great a spread of cymbals for that to work well for me though. Plus I want some hat & snare pickup. Looks great on your setup though. Like you, I'm trying to keep the stage footprint neat & compact, hence preferring to mount from the rack.

What I'm really after is a pair of booms. Cymbal boom style but with the standard mic holder thread on the end instead of the cymbal nut thread..

Do you mean something like this?

dwsmTAMC-med.jpg

I'm sure the mic clip could come off, so you could accommodate a shock mount.

-Jonathan

Do you mean something like this?

dwsmTAMC-med.jpg

I'm sure the mic clip could come off, so you could accommodate a shock mount.

-Jonathan
Yes, those are the babys. I think they're DW. I was rather hoping Yamaha did something similar as all my cymbal booms are Yamaha. I might explore the possibility of making a threaded adaptor to screw onto a standard cymbal stand thread. This would give me more options.

Thanks Jonathan.

Yes, those are the babys. I think they're DW. I was rather hoping Yamaha did something similar as all my cymbal booms are Yamaha. I might explore the possibility of making a threaded adaptor to screw onto a standard cymbal stand thread. This would give me more options.

Thanks Jonathan.

No worries man.

It looks like its a one piece unit meaning you could take the arm off a Yamaha boom and make it look like a Yamaha unit.

-Jonathan

Back