Fixing some headphones.

The Bassist

Hey guys.
This has been an issue for a while, but I'm starting to get pretty frustrated about this. Been having trouble with some Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Not quite sure how much they were as they were a gift for x-mas (I guess a quick google could help heh), but I know they're quite expensive. While the quarter inch headphone jack extension for them works fine, the 8th inch jack, which is the one permanently fixed to the end, seems to be fairly worn and doesn't work right. I do use these for drumming whenever I drum, and for mixing audio when at the computer. It seems to me that unplugging it from my ipod all the time has damaged them though. Whenever I use them, I need to rotate the jack until it gets to *just* the right spot, and it can't move even slightly, or else audio will only come from the left ear. You'd think with some high end headphones they'd be able to outlast my casual headphones right?

But yeah, point is, I'd really like to stop this from happening, so any advice would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

I have several pairs of the Sony 7506 series. They are very decent headphones with fair isolation. You can purchase them here in the US for about $100. What I would do is to clean the 1/8" plug with either a contact cleaner or you can use isopropyl or rubbing alcohol. If you don't have either one of those, use a bit of WD-40 on a cloth and rub it on the entire contact area of the 1/8" plug. This should get rid of most of the oxidation and give you better contact with your headphone jacks.

If worse comes to worse, you can replace the plug or send them into a Sony headphone repair facility for them to repair the problem.

BTW, are your 7506's intermittent with all the sources that you plug them into? If not, it could be a dirty or defective phone jack in one of items that you use your phones in.

Dennis

I have several pairs of the Sony 7506 series. They are very decent headphones with fair isolation. You can purchase them here in the US for about $100. What I would do is to clean the 1/8" plug with either a contact cleaner or you can use isopropyl or rubbing alcohol. If you don't have either one of those, use a bit of WD-40 on a cloth and rub it on the entire contact area of the 1/8" plug. This should get rid of most of the oxidation and give you better contact with your headphone jacks.
Thanks for the suggestions! Well, I tried some rubbing alcohol, and it didn't seem to do much. It doesn't look like corrosion, but like there scratches all over it, so that might be it. What I'm thinking of doing (because the 1/4 inch jack will work and since it screws on, when it has a good connection, it doesn't loose it) is getting a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter to just put on that. At first I thought it was the gold coating on the jack itself because someone I know has expressed their distaste for that, but it seems like my casual headphones have a gold coat also and they go through so much more, yet work fine. I will try the WD-40 later though and see if that works though, just to be sure I try everything.
I just may, if buying an adapter doesn't work out like I think, send them in for repair.
BTW, are your 7506's intermittent with all the sources that you plug them into? If not, it could be a dirty or defective phone jack in one of items that you use your phones in.

Dennis
I thought of that too, but no, it is like this for everything, and the iPod works fine.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I hope I can fix this soon

Just ran out to RadioShack and bought that adapter, and it seemed to fix all my issues for the most part, so I think I'll live with it for now.

Back