Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colauita

If you guys are talking about the battle with gadd, weckl and vinnie., I just don't know how you could look at that and doubt steve gadd. Oh god, Steve just played so beautifully. I mean, Vinnie and Dave didn't do anything I hadn't seen them do before, but Steve completely owned that snare piece.

Vinnie's amazing of course, but that one time, I think he isn't the one that shines.

jazzsnob said:
If you guys are talking about the battle with gadd, weckl and vinnie., I just don't know how you could look at that and doubt steve gadd. Oh god, Steve just played so beautifully. I mean, Vinnie and Dave didn't do anything I hadn't seen them do before, but Steve completely owned that snare piece.

Vinnie's amazing of course, but that one time, I think he isn't the one that shines.

Well, from the perspective of discussing it within the Vinnie threaad - He is the one that shines.
This is a bit of a techy question, but it looks on some footage i've seen that Vinnie's sig. snare (the white one with black hware) has shortened rim hoops i.e. they rise up lower iver the surface of the batter. Does anyone know if drum companies do this? It seems like a credible custom idea as it might make rimshotting/clicking easier...

jazzsnob said:
I mean, Vinnie and Dave didn't do anything I hadn't seen them do before, but Steve completely owned that snare piece.
This is the only part of that statement that I really have trouble with. That snare piece is the SAME THING GADD ALWAYS PLAYS, weve all seen him do that before.

Well, Britt, you are correct that that is one of Steve's pieces he's made his own, but I've only seen him do it on two different occassions really. I do agree that it's a go-to gadd piece and EVERYONE TRIES IT AND PUTS IT ON THE INTERNET and it is very annoying. I'm not saying what he did was unique, but it was so outstandingly musical compared to what Dave and Vinnie were doing. And as far as I know, that was the first time that approach had been taken to a solo at that concert. It's just so much more epic and developed than what Dave and Vinnie were doing. It showed that he had about 20 extra years of playing music more than Dave and Vinnie.

Hands down Vinnie is the Man, In my opinion the greatest drummer of all time. If you compare his whole body of work to all others, no one else compares. From the simplistic tasty grooves on Stings albums to Frank Zappa's rediculous arrangements.
He can out solo anyone and then lay down tracks for a simple country album. Buddy Rich was the man at jazz, but I truely do not think he could have measured Vinnie's versatility, thats the key. Usually most popular drummers are popular for a particular genre, but listen to Vinnie on Faith Hills albums and you think he is a veteran Nashville
studio cat, then you listen to him with Sting's pop stuff, then listen to his work with Zappa and Karizma. Then you listen to his solo at the Baked Potato (Rediculous). Nobody encompasses his vocabulary,technique,body of work, and last but not least my favorite aspect of Vinnie is his feeling and passion he gives to the drums when he plays.
He feels it. Sorry for the length, but i had to give my 2 Cents. I have studied Buddy, Vinnie, Gadd, taken private lessons with Weckl and Vinnie overall still shines. I do love Weckl though. Here is my last 2Cents--In my opinion these are the top 5 drummers of all time in order Vinnie,Buddy,Gadd,Tony Williams, Dave Weckl. Thanks

helo700 said:
Hands down Vinnie is the Man, In my opinion the greatest drummer of all time. If you compare his whole body of work to all others, no one else compares. From the simplistic tasty grooves on Stings albums to Frank Zappa's rediculous arrangements.
He can out solo anyone and then lay down tracks for a simple country album. Buddy Rich was the man at jazz, but I truely do not think he could have measured Vinnie's versatility, thats the key. Usually most popular drummers are popular for a particular genre, but listen to Vinnie on Faith Hills albums and you think he is a veteran Nashville
studio cat, then you listen to him with Sting's pop stuff, then listen to his work with Zappa and Karizma. Then you listen to his solo at the Baked Potato (Rediculous). Nobody encompasses his vocabulary,technique,body of work, and last but not least my favorite aspect of Vinnie is his feeling and passion he gives to the drums when he plays.
He feels it. Sorry for the length, but i had to give my 2 Cents. I have studied Buddy, Vinnie, Gadd, taken private lessons with Weckl and Vinnie overall still shines. I do love Weckl though. Here is my last 2Cents--In my opinion these are the top 5 drummers of all time in order Vinnie,Buddy,Gadd,Tony Williams, Dave Weckl. Thanks

I have to say, Vinnie has done almost everything Gadd and Weckl did, but also did Zappa and a friggen Megadeth record.

I hate making such comparisons, but he just sticks out as the guy who takes people's jobs away, drum-wise.

And the scary thing is, there is no style he won't (can't) play.

i'd hate to ever say what drummer is" THE BEST", 'cause i think the older you get,you realize there really is no such thing. i'm sure some drummers can play one certain style better than vinnie,for instance maybe great brazilian born drummers growing up around sambas,mambos and such may play that style better,but all-around, but from interviews i've read even the great drummers pretty much say vinnie's the man right now. but i'm sure if we approached most of our drum heroes, and "said mr.----(fill in the blank) you're the best drummer in the world",most(if not all) would probably be embarrassed or just say thanks, because at their level it's probably whose style and feel you like(as well as the tunes they played on.)and everyone learns from everyone,right?

You're correct up to a point. Yes, Vinnie and Jeff Berlin were looking for extra money. Yes, Zappa cancelled the electric portion of the recording. Yes, Vinnie never worked with Zappa again.

What you left out... At this time, Vinnie had become an in-demand studio player. It's what he wanted to become when moving from Boston to California in the first place. His decision to QUIT Zappa's band was based on the touring schedule of Zappa and him not being available to work in the studio.

Ian Ballard said:
Jeff Berlin and Vinnie called Frank's management and tried to make a secret deal with the attitude of "don't tell the other guys" . Frank cancelled the use of the rock band with the orchestra and just finished the classical tour without them. And he never employed Vinnie's services again.

Oh, and after having just read that chapter in the "Real Frank Zappa Book", it appears as if Frank does mention Chad Wackerman.

Ian Ballard said:
After seeing him with Sting ten years ago, I TRIED to pick out a misplayed note SOMEWHERE. Didn't happen.

The Randy Waldman album "Wigged Out" has one of the most amazing solos (with a piano vamp) I've ever heard on it.

The Zappa albums were perhaps his best... he was the only drummer Frank even mentioned in his book, even though Wackerman spent 12 years with his band. The reason he and Jeff Berlin were fired from Frank's band is legendary, too. Interesting note: Vinnie used Terry Bozzio's kit to try out for Zappa.... damn I wish that was video taped!!

The somewhat recent Megadeth album he cut and the Warren Cuccurullo "Thanks to Frank" records reaffirm his being king of the versitile, being able to play heavy rock as well as ANYbody.

If Tony Williams is God.. Vinnie is Jesus!

And Buddy Rich is the whole universe!

Please don't start this again. The thread disappeared for a few weeks because of the Buddy Rich nonsense. Posting stuff like this is only going to get the Vinnie devotees up in arms, a verbal pissing contest will start and an admim will start deleting posts or threads again.

Keep the Buddy love in the Buddy thread please.

michael drums said:
If Tony Williams is God.. Vinnie is Jesus!

And Buddy Rich is the whole universe!

mlehnertz said:
Please don't start this again. The thread disappeared for a few weeks because of the Buddy Rich nonsense. Posting stuff like this is only going to get the Vinnie devotees up in arms, a verbal pissing contest will start and an admim will start deleting posts or threads again.

I agree with you, that kind of talk will lead us nowhere but a unnecessary flaming.

mlehnertz said:

Oh, Sorry 'bout that. Didn't realize that I couldn't bring up another drummer in this thread.
What was I thinking? Gulp.... Play On!

michael drums said:
Oh, Sorry 'bout that. Didn't realize that I couldn't bring up another drummer in this thread.
You are missing the point, michael drums. You can refer to Buddy Rich or whoever you want if needed to talk about Vinnie's musicianship, technical analysis, etc. But what you are saying is just "Buddy is the best! Buddy is the greatest!!." It has nothing to do with Vinnie. So if you want to talk that kind of thing, you can do it as much as you can at Buddy's thread. But not here.

You can bring up other drummers in comparison - we do it all the time, but don't say that Buddy is the greatest without some facts to support your reasoning. Personally, I don't care if you guys want to argue the fact of who's better, but what really bothered me about what happened a few weeks ago was there were a bunch of posts that contained a great deal of good information about Vinnie and his playing that were deleted along with the garbage.

michael drums said:

I just noticed that Vinnie's name is spelled wrong in the title of the thread.

That's kinda crappy.

syoshii said:
You are missing the point, michael drums. You can refer to Buddy Rich or whoever you want if needed to talk about Vinnie's musicianship, technical analysis, etc. But what you are saying is just "Buddy is the best! Buddy is the greatest!!." It has nothing to do with Vinnie. So if you want to talk that kind of thing, you can do it as much as you can at Buddy's thread. But not here.

That's already been done. There is so much talk about Vinnie's this and Vinnie's that. Look, Vinnie's one of my influences. As much as anybodys', okay? No need to get angry and feel this is a personal attack. If you don't like what you see in a post, which I see ALL the time, don't read it. I see other drummers mentioned all the time in other drummers' threads, but I don't get offended by it. I don't disrespect someones' reply to a post and go on the attack because I disagree. I try to take the high road when I post. And if I "goof" up and start getting personal, it gets deleted. As they should. Take Care and Play On! ;-)

Ian Ballard said:
I just noticed that Vinnie's name is spelled wrong in the title of the thread.

That's kinda crappy.

Good observation, Ian. Yea, I noticed that a little while back, but didn't have the "gumption" to point it out. I agree. Was it mis-spelled from the beginning of this thread? Just in case, it's spelled: C o l a i u t a Thanks Ian. Play On!

Vinnie's "this and that" is the purpose of this thread. Many of us that participate in this thread do take it as a personal attack when someone posts what was posted previously. It's like wearing a Yankees jersey into the Cask & Flagon in Boston. It's just inappropriate.

Please stop defending your right to be pro-Buddy in a Vinnie thread and as you say, take care and play on.

michael drums said:
That's already been done. There is so much talk about Vinnie's this and Vinnie's that. Look, Vinnie's one of my influences. As much as anybodys', okay? No need to get angry and feel this is a personal attack. If you don't like what you see in a post, which I see ALL the time, don't read it. I see other drummers mentioned all the time in other drummers' threads, but I don't get offended by it. I don't disrespect someones' reply to a post and go on the attack because I disagree. I try to take the high road when I post. And if I "goof" up and start getting personal, it gets deleted. As they should. Take Care and Play On! ;-)

mlehnertz said:
Vinnie's "this and that" is the purpose of this thread. Many of us that participate in this thread do take it as a personal attack when someone posts what was posted previously. It's like wearing a Yankees jersey into the Cask & Flagon in Boston. It's just inappropriate.

Please stop defending your right to be pro-Buddy in a Vinnie thread and as you say, take care and play on.

Umm...Don't think I tried to defend anyone but myself here, mlehnertz. And I didn't realize there was a "rule" about what drummers are aloud to be mentioned in each thread. Are you an administrator of this thread? Sure sounds like it. Looks like in every one of your posts you're talking down to another ones' posts as if you're the only credible person to comment. That is what's inappropriate, sir! Look, I got an idea. Let's take a deep breath and start over by getting back to actually "discussing" and get away from this finger pointing and bashing. There's never enough respectful, educational, and inspirational talk out here. Let's do that and see what we can come up with. Thanks and Play On!

Back