Ghost Drummer for Kiss, Jimi, Alice Cooper etc

That was pretty interesting. I've always been curious about this type of thing. I'd think that his silence would have been in the contract. What's the point of having a "ghost drummer" if the guy is out there blabbing to everyone that he played the drums on those songs?

that was really interesting, but not surprising. i'll bet money that this kind of thing goes on all the time right up through the present day.

Schwartzberg: “They called me in and I did the drums over (without credit). There was a big tall blonde guy playing drums with them at the time and they weren’t happy with his tracks. From what I’ve been told, he never knew and I guess he eventually found out, but he didn’t know it wasn’t him… That’s kind of crazy.”

OMG! OMG! OMG! That IS crazy..."that tall blonde guy" was none other than Neal Smith and I totally idolized him in the early 70's when Alice Cooper was huge. If you would have told me then that Neal wasn't playing on those albums I would have punched somebody. That is just too weird although knowing what I know now I'm sure it happens all the time. Thanks for the link. A great read and great insight on how the music biz works at that level. Hey Neal,,,if you're reading this, I still think you were great! Gotta love those royalty checks too.

Attachments

• Neal-Real-Kit-for-Mini-Kit-300x187.jpg
    Neal-Real-Kit-for-Mini-Kit-300x187.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,027
Allan Schwartberg was a name you heard a lot in the 80s in Modern Drummer, etc.

I had almost forgotten about him, it's been so long since his name has come up.

It's been know for a long time Peter Criss didn't play on all of the Kiss records for one reason or another. Although it's pretty funny to find out Allan played on Peter's solo album, with Peter standing next to him.

But I'm heard other stories of similar type things, where the band guy not only knows, but supports the idea of the session drummer.

That was pretty interesting, there's a lot of history there. I think what he said about a track being unlistenable if it's "uneven" isn't true.. sure if there's erratic playing it sux but listen to Zep... Bonham is all over the place but you can totally groove to it. Same with Moon. Same with new shit like black keys or white stripes. BREAK THE MOLD ppl =D

That was pretty interesting, there's a lot of history there. I think what he said about a track being unlistenable if it's "uneven" isn't true.. sure if there's erratic playing it sux but listen to Zep... Bonham is all over the place but you can totally groove to it. Same with Moon. Same with new shit like black keys or white stripes. BREAK THE MOLD ppl =D

Right on, man. Listen to pop music today. All the vocals are pitch corrected. The time is computer perfect. And what do you get: it lacks all character and interest.

Allan Schwartberg was a name you heard a lot in the 80s in Modern Drummer, etc.

I had almost forgotten about him, it's been so long since his name has come up.

It's been know for a long time Peter Criss didn't play on all of the Kiss records for one reason or another. Although it's pretty funny to find out Allan played on Peter's solo album, with Peter standing next to him.

But I'm heard other stories of similar type things, where the band guy not only knows, but supports the idea of the session drummer.

Anton Fig played on a few KISS tracks as well. I'm fairly certain he was on "I Was Made For Loving You".

Bernard Purdie was asked to keep his mouth shut by Brian Epstein!!,..back in the 60's.

This story rears its ugly head again!!! I don't suppose you have a source for this statement! Many folks have done an analysis of Bernard's claims and those claims have been established as fantasy.

Paul

This stuff still goes on all the time... Josh Freese anyone?
I have a bunch of albums that I know he played on and yet is not given credit. They just pay him a bunch to keep his mouth closed. Recently I found out he played on Korn's "Follow the Leader" yet David Silveria has the credit.

It happens even with me... this new solo artist Jason Hemmens has an album coming out soon, I am the drummer in the video for his first single, but Josh Freese played on the track...

Thanks Pachikara, that was interesting. Now I'm wondering which Mitch tracks are real and which are not ...

I remember Allan Schwartzberg from the Peter Gabriel solo album with Solsbury Hill and Moribund the Bergermeister. I remember being pretty keen on his playing on that album.

+1 to those debunking Pretty Purdie's dodgy claims about doing Beatles tracks http://www.jimvallance.com/03-projects-folder/purdie-project-folder/pg-purdie.html

Ethan01 said:
I think what he said about a track being unlistenable if it's "uneven" isn't true.. sure if there's erratic playing it sux but listen to Zep... Bonham is all over the place but you can totally groove to it. Same with Moon. Same with new shit like black keys or white stripes.

jordanz said:
Right on, man. Listen to pop music today. All the vocals are pitch corrected. The time is computer perfect. And what do you get: it lacks all character and interest.

I feel the same way. Allan S was a serious jazz guy and they tend to have highly developed musical sensibilities. They're connoisseurs of rhythm and pick up every little imperfection in the same way some people cannot tolerate tap water and will only drink boutique brands of bottled water.

Most people just want to enjoy a vibe and I think that in most styles, that's much more important than perfection. We listen to music for pleasure, not as an academic exercise.

More power to players like Allan S, who can create a vibe and be perfect as well ... but, as you guys have alluded, it seems to me that sometimes people throw the baby out with the bathwater.

More power to players like Allan S, who can create a vibe and be perfect as well ... but, as you guys have alluded, it seems to me that sometimes people throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I blame the producers and record companies. They value safety and want to work with known quantities - i.e. drummers who have been on hit records.

I knew Neil Allen Smith back in the 70s.
I used to repair his 57 Bentley right hand drive car.
I would frequently talk with him.
He never said anything to me about Cooper using a studio drummer.

During the late 70s, I saw Neil play with a club band called, "Soft White Underbelly" I saw the band play out many times.
I couldn't help but notice how his playing was nothing like his playing on the Cooper albums.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't simply learn the Cooper tunes from what Allan Schwartberg played on the Cooper albums.

During the late 70s, I saw Neil play with a club band called, "Soft White Underbelly"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Blue Oyster Cult play under that name at small clubs when they didn't want to attract attention? In which case, it wouldn't have been Neil on drums. Unless it was...

You're Right, Neil's club Band was called something else.
Flying Tigers... Thats It "Flying Tigers!" That was the name.
I saw Soft White Underbelly many times, and my middle aged memory mixed the band names up.
Sorry about that! Thank You for making me think!

Back