A day like today... 31 years without John Bonham

diegobxr

Silver Member
The greatest rock drummer of all times.
John Henry Bonham
31 May 1948 - 25 September 1980

Maybe if you want, post pics, soundclips or anything about the man behind Led Zeppelin.

I share with you this site with many isolated drumtracks. Good Lord, what a sound.

http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm

john-bonham28.jpg

Forever rest in peace John, you'll never be forgotten.

Cheers.

Attachments

• john-bonham2.jpg
    john-bonham2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3,751
  • 1125328969.jpg
    1125328969.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 17,760
Can we change it to one of the greatest rock drummers of all time. :)

Can we change it to one of the greatest rock drummers of all time. :)

Haha, sorry Glen. Anyway Gruntersdad is right, I don't think Peart would mind it :)

My little tribute... don't be haters....and yes I know I spelled Henry wrong but I was being rushed.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=2079509273626&notif_t=video_comment

Thanks for sharing man, those are some beautiful Luddies, and Fool in the Rain is a hard feel to master!

(I know maybe I shouldn't have expected it, they can't be aware of everything, but I honestly thought Google could've made a doodle to remember Bonzo. Anyway..

Cheers

Such a shame he took himself out so early in life. Imagine what he and Zep could have done in the 1980s and beyond.

This is an opinion...NOT hating Hate is a very strong word.I grew up on Bonzo,and I first heard him in on the first Zep album when I was 15.Good Times Bad Times..I must have played that song 50 times over when I first heard that broken triplet on the bass drum.His drum sound also hooked me...big and unmuffeled.

To me he is no doubt one of the most influential,creative,and popular rock drummers of all time..and certainly worthy of being in the top ten in that catagory.He certainly had a distinctive sound and style which is something many drummers ,as good as they are,don't have.So for that he gets points also.I guess its ok to use the word great when talking about Bonzo..again its an opinion of his overall impact and drumming skill,in an area which is so subjective...music.

Having said all that,I personally can't say he was the greatest of all time,because I don't feel anyone deserves that title,because its ALL based on your own personal opinion.

To me,there is no best,and no greatest ...anything...or anybody.Just personal likes,dislikes and opinion,as long as its based on personal experience,and not something someone else believes.

So...It was great to have had you around,at least for a while Bonzo.I for one do miss the passion of your playng and the thunder of your drums.

Steve B

Oh wow... I didn't realise what day it was. Funny thing is that at the exact moment this thread was posted, my band was covering a bunch of Zep tunes. at practice. I almost feel it was disrectful to completely butcher his drum parts today like I do, lol.

I'm no Bonham fan, but I recognize him for what he was: a great musician. It's too bad he had to go when he did.

It was(&still is) the most depressing/saddest&worst day of my life! :(.
HE (was&still is) my no1:hero &inspiration &reason for playing drums in the 1st place! :).
Every year of his anniversary i watch led Zeppelin dvd's& cds&play along to them.
On my Ludwig Centennial 'Bonham/Zepp" kit 13" rack(should be a 14" get it fucking right Ludwig! ) 16&18 ft's&26" kick &14x6.5 maple wood snare(also a Centennial).
SHOULD be a LM 402 supra but over here they're nearly $900 AUD RRP!(recomended retail price).I can buy one from ebay or a "authorised" Ludwig dealer but NOT ALL are willing to ship to Australia &then there's the shipping cost over $100 USD! :(.
I've got 'bonham" Paistes-602 15" se hats
Paiste FO602 pre-serial 20" medium ride
Paiste 2002 15" se hats black label(re-issue) ! :(
Paiste 2002 black label 20" ride(non-re-issue) which i use as a crash!.
R.I.P.John Henry 'Bonzo" Bonham! :).

Last edited:
No biggie - butchering Bonzo drum parts has been a time-honoured tradition over the last 40 years ... I've dismembered a few of them in my time too :)

Haha, indeed! We actually do a decent job, especially since we are all in our late twenties. But it's like covering the beatles... you just don't do it.

No biggie - butchering Bonzo drum parts has been a time-honoured tradition over the last 40 years ...

A time honoured tradition of the man himself too Pol. There's a few accounts of a young and 'still finding his feet' Bonham butchering a few of the local Midlands acts sets as he was figuring out "his thing". It's fair to say he didn't always sound so damned cool.....no-one does.

Shame he's gone....a real inspiration to me and many others. Sad, but not enough to bring me to tears.....that'll happen the day I hear that Page has curled the toes up!!

Correction Ludwig LM 402 Supraphonic 14x6.5 from our/the only "authorised" Ludwig dealer RRP is:$759 &Not nearly $900 AUD.STILL fFAR&WAY too much what they sell in the USA for! :(.
cheers&ta lads/mates
Ado.

Best? Who knows for sure. My all time favorite...by far!!! R.I.P. Bonzo.

I am still doing my penance (a billion and one Hail Marys) for thinking Bonzo was just an average drummer when I was a kid. My friends and I were into Rush...what can I say ??

Long live John Bonham.

Hey lads, first time poster, long time lurker. Whenever i listen to Bonzo it's like a master class in rhythm. He is/was a marvelous player. An exceptional talent. l enjoy every moment i have of him on disc, dvd, ipod etc. Even now, everything he did is relevant.

RIP Bonzo, gone but immortalised.

J

I still remember where I was the day I heard the news it was that much of a shock.

Back