Atmospheric sounds using violin bow on cymbals upside down on Timpani drums

Sounds incredible. Now I know how they get this sound on movie soundtracks!

Sounds incredible. Now I know how they get this sound on movie soundtracks!

The sound in spooky movies that you hear that sounds kind of like the bowed cymbal on the timpano is actually an instrument called a "Waterphone". It has more of a warbly sound to it, and more overtones. Sure, a cymbal on a timpano is used occasionally, but more often than not, it's a Waterphone.

I love playing with cymbals on the timpani. I make sure to mess around with it every time I play a musical, because you hardly ever do it in concerts, except for that Husa piece and a handful of percussion ensemble/solo pieces...

By day, I'm a post audio engineer - I work in TV and Film. I mostly mix these days, but sometimes I do a bit of sound design.
Bowed gong and bowed cymbal are two of my all - time favorite SFX, especially when used in layers.
They can do many things, from scary to sunrise. - and they take effects nicely too, like flanging and verb. I have a private collection of samples, made them myself. Hint - thin and broken cymbals with lots of rosin on the bow = especially interesting sounds. Try it! You can bow glasses of water too.

Makes me wonder sometimes why Bonham didn't jump up and grab that bow from Paige when he was doing the bowed Les Paul thing...he could have done some cool(er) things with it!

Neal

Back