Wood Hoop Tom Project

numa_cruiser

Hey all, I just bought an old 14" Slingerland wood hoop tom. I haven't measured the depth but it's probably 9-10". Its got one set of eight lugs around the centre of the shell and tension rods that run through them to tune the top and bottom heads simultaneously. It has maple re-rings, thin shell and outer finish ply. I got it home and realized the bearing edges are screwed. Looks like someone tried to sand out some problems and both top and bottom edges look like macaroni. I figure that for $20 if I screw it up trying to fix it, it was unplayable to start with anyway.

First question: could this drum have been worth much in playable condition?
Second: I recut the bearing edges flat and routered a new 45 degree edge from inside and out. I know the edge is supposed to be on the shell not on the re-ring but my bit was not big enough to cut all the way out to the edge of the shell from the inside. I actually got a really nice finished product but am worried that the head pressure might cause the re-ring to come away from the shell. Any thoughts?

Pics to come.

Being old, the re rings are likely brittle, which means fragile, so I would not be surprised if they snap out of place, they won't totally implode, but separation is likely. As far as value, the old marching snares are quite common, and not valued like the kit snares, $60-$200 range is the norm. Post up a photo when you can.
As far as routing to the edge, you could of plunge cut it to the edge, and then coarse to fine, sand the rering, the inner angle not all that crucial, so if it went a little off a 45, no biggie.

Just an FYI,for the future,never....repeat never alter a vintage drum to be playable.As soon as you alter a vintage drum in any way,you reduce the resale value by about 30-50%.Collectors want instruments as close in original condition as possible,even if the bearing edges are screwed up.Its worth more to them in that condition.

There have been lots of people over the years that have in their mind..upgraded and hotrodded their drums,thinking they are increasing their value.But just the opposite is true.So the next time you come across a vintage drum..get a value on it first,before doing any alterations.You might have had a one of a kind drum there and you would never have known it.It happens every day

Steve B

Being old, the re rings are likely brittle, which means fragile, so I would not be surprised if they snap out of place, they won't totally implode, but separation is likely. As far as value, the old marching snares are quite common, and not valued like the kit snares, $60-$200 range is the norm. Post up a photo when you can.
As far as routing to the edge, you could of plunge cut it to the edge, and then coarse to fine, sand the rering, the inner angle not all that crucial, so if it went a little off a 45, no biggie.

Thanks for the reply, just to be clear this is actually a 14" tom. I cut the edges on a router table. I've used a plunge router but am not sure how you would go about using it without building a precise jig to cut these edges. Could you elaborate a bit? Thanks!

Just an FYI,for the future,never....repeat never alter a vintage drum to be playable.As soon as you alter a vintage drum in any way,you reduce the resale value by about 30-50%.Collectors want instruments as close in original condition as possible,even if the bearing edges are screwed up.Its worth more to them in that condition.

There have been lots of people over the years that have in their mind..upgraded and hotrodded their drums,thinking they are increasing their value.But just the opposite is true.So the next time you come across a vintage drum..get a value on it first,before doing any alterations.You might have had a one of a kind drum there and you would never have known it.It happens every day

Steve B

Hey there Steve, thanks for the reply. I should have checked it out first, you're right. I did however, buy this drum with intent to modify and rebuild it. The bearing edges weren't just beat up from miss-use or neglect. Someone before me had taken great liberties with a sander and created a rollercoaster of a bearing edge. There were at least 3-4 large dips on each edge ranging from 1/16th to 3/16ths variation from the flat plane. I can't imagine anyone prizing this drum in that state. I'd imagine the value was wrecked at that point. I'm planning to get it playable and veneer it to match my small bass drum project I did a couple years ago, find an appropriate small snare and have a small gig kit or let my son play it. Now before you shake your head and pull out your hair, remember it was trashed to begin with. Pics to follow.

Back