How to approximate a handclap sound?

timmdrum

Gold Member
Any ideas on the best way to do this? Splash on top of an aux snare? A particular pairing of stacked cymbals? The LP [or was it Rhythm Tech] crasher, if they still make it [or the new Pearl version of it]?

a cheap electric drum pad with a clap sound?

;)

sorry, couldnt resist. Im afraid i have no idea on how to approximate it using acoustic instruments. Seems to me you could spend more time chasing that dream than just using a pad of some kind

I did a track in the studio with handclaps, and I tried to teach 5 other guys in the band the part (pretty simple) and they couldn't get it down. So I just tracked overdubs we did 6 tracks two panned left two center and two right. I tried to vary them up and play a little behind the beat on some tracks and ahead of the beat on others. you need to put lots of reverb to get that classic 808 sound. you might be able to use a crasher with lots of reverb on it to get the sound. the 808 sound is basically white noise with reverb.

a maraca is close to the sound of handclaps also.

I think any kind of cymbal stacker or hi-hat would be too bright and metallic to approximate hand claps. maybe if you filter/eq it you can get the sound.

Here's what I do...

Go to the morgue.....

Nevermind

Two thin boards and smack them together

Great idea. Mount two strips of hardboard or paneling together and tape them at the bottom. Figure out a way to mount them to the left of your hats with the front board just slightly higher than the back one. Flick the front (back towards you) with your index finger and they'll smack together.

I think there might be a certain acoustic or electronic stompbox.

You know, those small boxes that a non-drummer musician will use as self-accompaniment, often to simulate a kick drum sound, some have different sounds.

Jeff- thanks for pointing me to that! It's pretty close. I think it's a splash mounted inside a china...? I should've clarified the question- I meant mimic a handclap sound in a live setting without electronics [I don't always have a monitor] and with something that I can hit with a drumstick.

Larry & Chip- uh, I still don't get it...? Please clue me in! :)

Jeff- thanks for pointing me to that! It's pretty close. I think it's a splash mounted inside a china...? I should've clarified the question- I meant mimic a handclap sound in a live setting without electronics [I don't always have a monitor] and with something that I can hit with a drumstick.

Larry & Chip- uh, I still don't get it...? Please clue me in! :)

Is that what Aaron uses? Does any one know for sure? I'd love to be able to get the sound that he does with that.

Jeff

Sheesh! Johnny Rabb is amazing! He has so much positive energy I think he's part canine! Dogs are always happy. How come I ain't a dog?

Yep, the cymbal on the low tom sounds most convincing as a hand clap. But I'm interested in that center hat he's playing. It sounds like he's using two 10" splashes. This would be very versatile for the kind of music I like (1920s jazz). Hmm... I'm gonna try that.

Someday Rabb is gonna be a legend. You just wait.

Any ideas on the best way to do this? Splash on top of an aux snare? A particular pairing of stacked cymbals? The LP [or was it Rhythm Tech] crasher, if they still make it [or the new Pearl version of it]?

I would say sticking a small effect cymbal on an aux snare tuned low is about right. I tried doing it before but you lot all thought i looked like a prick. Did sound like a hand clap though i reckoned.

I would say sticking a small effect cymbal on an aux snare tuned low is about right. I tried doing it before but you lot all thought i looked like a prick. Did sound like a hand clap though i reckoned.

Exactly!!!...this is what I have used. Take a small 8"-10" splash cymbal and put a cheap hi-hat clutch on it to use as a handle. It works pretty great!...However I have mine on a very high tuned aux snare and that gives me the best hand clap sound...

Attachments

• Drumset Driver 1.jpg
    Drumset Driver 1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 869
Thanks, folks, if anyone has more ideas, keep 'em comin'! Eddie & nicotine- have you tried it with a cymbal & drum of the same diameter? I have an old cracked 10" splash just taking up closet space, and a 10" aux snare in my regular setup...

Bump! Figured I'd resurrect this old thread in the wake of the stacked cymbal combo thread... Recommendations?

I'm going to invent one! Maybe a digital "sample" of me smacking my Wife's bottom! Maybe it will sell better than my pedal did! LOL!

Back